TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Ford FR3 PP vs SVT PP on 2011 GT500

Pockdog

So with the 2011 GT500 reveal via webcast out of the way, and since more detail is now known about the SVT PP option for 2011 GT500 I began to wonder what the differences (or similarities for that matter) are between the Ford Racing FR3 PP vs SVT PP?

1) What do you get with the FR3 pack?

2) What do you get with the SVT PP?

3) What items are redundant (if any)?

4) What items are NOT redundant?

5) Which is the better pack to get (or get both)?

Thanks in advance...

-Pockdog

I would think the FR3 pack is geared towards the weight of the 2007-2010 GT500s. I have a feeling they will have a new FRPP kit for the 2011 GT500.

Seems possible. So then another question would be if you ordered the 2011 with the SVT PP would you even need (or be able) to install the FR3 (or whatever it will be called)?

or

is the FR3 PP only for GT500's that do not have the SVT PP?

• 2 weeks later...

Seems possible. So then another question would be if you ordered the 2011 with the SVT PP would you even need (or be able) to install the FR3 (or whatever it will be called)?

or

is the FR3 PP only for GT500's that do not have the SVT PP?

Bump...

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

-Pockdog

The FR3 Handling Pack includes Adjustable Dampers, Springs, Anti-Roll bars and Strut Tower Brace. This kit lowers the car 1.25" (inches)

The SVT Performance pack includes 3.73s, 'unique' wheels, 'unique' springs, 'unique' rear shocks along with 'unique' shift knob, stripes and gurney flap. This lowers the car something like (I do not recall exact numbers) 10mm (millimeters) in the front and 11mm in the rear.

The FR3 Handling Pack is roughly $1,700. The SVT PP is $3,495.

The 07 thu 09 FR3 Handling pack (M-2007-FR3SVT) strut tower brace will not fit the 2010 (and I assume the 2011). There is a 2010 specific FR3 Handling Pack (M-FR3-MSVT) but the only difference between it and the 07 thru 09 version is the strut brace...and the new 2010 brace is ugly IMO. The 2011 without the SVT PP is the same car as the 2010 (accept the al block), so I would be surprised to see a new Handling Pack for the 2011.

I'll be installing the FR3 Handling Pack M-2007-FR3SVT. JLT and others make an intake tube that with spaces the strut brace will fit.

The 2011 without the SVT PP is the same car as the 2010 (except the Al block), so I would be surprised to see a new Handling Pack for the 2011.

So your suggesting here that the 2010 specific FR3 Handling Pack (M-FR3-MSVT) will be used for the 2011 as well?

or

There will be no Handling Pack that fits the 2011, and that if you want to add "handling" you need to opt for the SVT package via the factory?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

...and the new 2010 brace is ugly IMO.

I thought the same thing until I saw it mounted on a car.

Phill Pollard

post-26522-126704201251_thumb.jpg

post-26522-126704201251_thumb.jpg

So your suggesting here that the 2010 specific FR3 Handling Pack (M-FR3-MSVT) will be used for the 2011 as well?

or

There will be no Handling Pack that fits the 2011, and that if you want to add "handling" you need to opt for the SVT package via the factory?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I am suggesting that both the 07 thru 09 Handling Pack (M-2007-FR3SVT, with the acception of the strut tower brace) and the 2010 Handling Pack (M-FR3-MSVT) will fit the 2011 and that I therfore would be surprised if Ford created a new Handling Pack specific to the 2011. Where's the need for one?? The 07 thru 09 Handling Pack fits the 2010, and the 2011 without the SVT PP is the same car as the 2010 (accept the al block) so the 07 thru 09 handling Pack should fit the 2011 (with the possible acception of the strut tower brace). I am planning on installing the 07 thru 09 version, assuming the JLT CF intake will fit the 2011 and with spacers the strut tower brace will fit as well. The 2011 (with or without the SVT PP) is a 2010 with an al block, is the way I look at it. So I would think that anything that fits the 2010 will fit the 2011.

Guys, any suspension parts on 2010 and prior should not be used on the 2011 as the 2011 has had its chassis significantly stiffened and this may cause some parts not to fit due to additional bracing and also, with 100 less pounds up front, you would not want the same spring/damper rates as the pre 2011 cars. This is why even the base 2011 GT500 will have all new springs/dampers and so on.

If you want to install the Ford Racing kit for 2011, don't order the SVT Package because you would be wasting your money IMO

Guys, any suspension parts on 2010 and prior should not be used on the 2011 as the 2011 has had its chassis significantly stiffened and this may cause some parts not to fit due to additional bracing and also, with 100 less pounds up front, you would not want the same spring/damper rates as the pre 2011 cars. This is why even the base 2011 GT500 will have all new springs/dampers and so on.

If you want to install the Ford Racing kit for 2011, don't order the SVT Package because you would be wasting your money IMO

I watched most of the reveil live and have since watched all of it a couple of times. I recall they mentioned the 2011 vert chassis was stiffened 30%, which brought it to the 2010 coupe level and therefore allowed the 19" wheels to be fitted. I do not recall any mention that the coupe chassis was stiffened. Maybe I missed it, just don't recall hearing it. Where can I read up and get more info on the all new springs/dampers for the 2011?

I talked to Kurt at Ford Performance today. He was very polite and very helpful!! He said the current Handling Pack should work just fine on the 2011 and that the weight reduction should not have an impact. He did say, HOWEVER, that they have received no official notification or confirmation on this. He suggested I call back in a couple of months once cars have been produced and tested. That's what I'll be doing.

So, yes, therein lies the dilemma :banghead: (and the original rationale for this post)...

Which package should a person get on the 2011 GT500 and why?

Could one infer from your comment that the Ford FR3 PP is superior to the SVT PP?

( I realize that with limited info available on either package at this time, answering this question may not be possible yet. That said, it's unfortunate that for those ready to purchase now, they are forced to make the choice of SVT or no SVT at time of order, as once built, if you opted for no SVT, then you cannot go back and have the SVT PP installed later...)

Thanks,

-Pockdog

I'm confused, which FRPP 2010 pack are you refering to? If it is the M-FR3-MSVT "handling pack", you have to remember that it will not include:

1. 3.73 gear for the differential
  2. The staggered SVT wheels
  3. The Goodyear SVT only tires

I bet the sway bars and springs are nearly the same and the dampers are pretty close also in the FRPP and the SVT packages. For me, and I have the handling pack, it would be the SVT pack all the way. I had to get the drag pack in addition to the handling pack to pick up the 3.73 rear gear and that made a huge difference in the car performance.

I realize that they have not released the specifications for the 2011 FRPP packs but I bet they won't change.

So, yes, therein lies the dilemma :banghead: (and the original rationale for this post)...

Which package should a person get on the 2011 GT500 and why?

Could one infer from your comment that the Ford FR3 PP is superior to the SVT PP?

( I realize that with limited info available on either package at this time, answering this question may not be possible yet. That said, it's unfortunate that for those ready to purchase now, they are forced to make the choice of SVT or no SVT at time of order, as once built, if you opted for no SVT, then you cannot go back and have the SVT PP installed later...)

Thanks,

-Pockdog

IMO get the SVT PP and if it is not enough, just mod it, but if you dont get it, it may be hard to order from Ford, like trying to buy the KR suspension lol

The SVT PP does not lower the car nearly as much as the handling kit, although they have not released the handlng kit for the 2011 yet, maybe they wont, who knows.

I put off getting a 2011 due to the lack of info regarding it and well I am not rich enough to order a 60k car on hopes and dreams like I did with my 07, that was a one time deal for me.

Archived