TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Exhaust manifold and valve cover project

Well I did some research and I can't find much actual dyno proof that putting shorty headers on my SGT is worth much if any power gains. So since my manifolds have rust on them and drive me nuts I bought a set from a forum member.

I got them in the shop and looked them over. It's no wonder I don't find much results, the stock exhaust manifolds are a nice piece. There is some flow to be had by doing some porting on them so we are going to give them a nice port job and then send them out for ceramic coating. I'll post some pictures when we get them back. I'll dyno the car again after they are on.

I also can't stand the looks of the dull stock valve covers, bought a set of them from a member here too. I don't like the baby blue Ford Motorsports covers so I am having a custom Vista Blue Powder coat mixed right now. I'm going to powder coat them Vista Blue and put them on. I'll post some pics of that too. I'm going to have quite a bit of extra powder if anyone is interested and will have an extra set of valve covers too when mine come off.

Well I did some research and I can't find much actual dyno proof that putting shorty headers on my SGT is worth much if any power gains. So since my manifolds have rust on them and drive me nuts I bought a set from a forum member.

I got them in the shop and looked them over. It's no wonder I don't find much results, the stock exhaust manifolds are a nice piece. There is some flow to be had by doing some porting on them so we are going to give them a nice port job and then send them out for ceramic coating. I'll post some pictures when we get them back. I'll dyno the car again after they are on.

I also can't stand the looks of the dull stock valve covers, bought a set of them from a member here too. I don't like the baby blue Ford Motorsports covers so I am having a custom Vista Blue Powder coat mixed right now. I'm going to powder coat them Vista Blue and put them on. I'll post some pics of that too. I'm going to have quite a bit of extra powder if anyone is interested and will have an extra set of valve covers too when mine come off.

Definately interested in seeing some pics of the valve covers and the exhaust...

• 2 weeks later...

I just had pictures sent to me last week of the color that got mixed for the powder coating. It looks great. The actual powder is being mixed now. As soon as I have pictures I will get them posted. The exhaust manifolds are almost done being ported too, I'll get pictures of the porting up before they get sent out to coat.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please send me a pm with the cost of the valve covers. May be interested.

Thanks - Doc

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, it's been awhile since I updated this. We've been a tad bit busy.

Here are some pictures of the port work we performed on the stock exhaust manifolds. Now they are being sent out for ceramic coating and I'll update after I get them back. The valve covers haven't come back yet, this first round is taking awhile because of the color matching. For now, enjoy the pictures:

musMANIS11.jpg

musmani1.jpg

musMANIsite.jpg

Gasket matched to the head port. The manifolds are pretty nice inside to begin with, some of the nicest factory manifolds I've ever seen. All the casting marks/flaws were taken out, the ports were smoothed and blended. The outlet was smoothed in as far as we could get too. After seeing the manifolds I realize why there aren't great things to be found about results of header swaps, the design and quality of the factory manifolds are very good. They'll look good with ceramic coating on them and flow a little better than they did stock.

I'm looking forward to the valve covers, the Ford blue looks like crap to me. Having them match the Vista Blue body color should look killer.

It was a busy weekend. I have my new Dynotech driveshaft and Ford rear end cover/girdle installed. I pulled the cats off and have decided it's time to produce a bolt in offroad pipe to fit with the factory manifolds and Ford Racing X-pipe. I can't seem to find that anywhere, so tomorrow we'll get started on producing them in 304 grade stainless.

It looks like pulling the factory manifolds off isn't a lot of fun. I'll work on that this week and get ready for mine to come back from being coated. I'm hoping deleting the cats gains some nice power, a little more sound but not too annoying.

We done a lot of testing on manifolds and porting on the 4g63, which is what I make my living doing and found a port match to the head is optimal. Being my car is now supercharged/forced induction, like the engines we work on all the time, I don't see the port working any differently, that's why we kept them the same size. If the port being larger worked, you can just about bank on Ford doing it themselves.

I don't have a cost figured out. Let me get them back from coating and get some pictures posted up and then go from there.

I also have the new downpipes coming back already. I hope to have them tomorrow or Friday. These will be offroad pipes to work with the stock manifolds and Ford Racing X pipe our cars come with. I sure hope it sounds good and picks up a little power. Going to be lighter for sure!

Well I have some outstanding news. I got the offroad pipes built already and they came out perfect. Here is the specifics:

304 grade stainless steel, mandrel bent

304 grade laser cut 3/8" thick flanges

.065 wall tubing

SS bungs for the 02 sensors.

I built these for a direct replacement for the factory cats on the 4.6 when using Ford Racing's X pipe. I couldn't find anyone else who had them and there has to be market for them, just based on all of us with 4.6 SGT's.

I wanted the car to be a little bit louder than it was stock and I wanted to free up some exhaust flow. Well apparently I hit the nail on the head because the car sounds freaking fantastic. Fitment is absolutely flawless. The car is up on jack stands and I am still waiting for my manifolds to come back from coating. So I didn't take the car out on the road. I just test fit the parts and then started it.

In the past I've had a lot of car that once the exhaust was changed they got a "kackle" sound to them, particularly on decel and I absolutely HATE HATE HATE that sound, luckily it didn't happen with this. Sounds just flat out mean on a free rev. I love it.

I have these available if anyone is interested. We'll get them added to our website. No cutting, drilling or anything else involved. Just remove your factory cats and then these bolt in place. Obviously I have to say they are for offroad use only. You will get a CEL if you pull the cats off so you will need to have them turned off by your tuner or by a programmer to do it.

I will post up some pictures of all this work once I get it all done.

BTW, the pair of offroad pipes are $350 plus shipping.

I've read that the shorties are good for 13 hp w/ a tune. Are you going to have some HP gain results for us also? It would be interesting to compare.

I got the manifolds back from being coated and started putting them on. I got the passenger side done, plan to do the drivers side this weekend. I've got a lot of projects going on. They look GREAT in the engine bay and I like I never have to worry about them cracking or leaking. I'll have to remember to get a picture of the new offroad pipes too and post them before I get them installed. Here are the ported and coated manifolds:

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1567

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1566

I got the manifolds back from being coated and started putting them on. I got the passenger side done, plan to do the drivers side this weekend. I've got a lot of projects going on. They look GREAT in the engine bay and I like I never have to worry about them cracking or leaking. I'll have to remember to get a picture of the new offroad pipes too and post them before I get them installed. Here are the ported and coated manifolds:

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1567

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1566

They look nice, but at those prices, outta my league...especially since I've been unemployed for the last year and still looking....

Good luck with sales on those...

They look nice, but at those prices, outta my league...especially since I've been unemployed for the last year and still looking....

Good luck with sales on those...

Uh, yeah, it's a good idea to have a job if you plan on modifying your car.........the prices are good, so is eating.

Project is almost completed. I still have to put the valve covers on but the driveshaft, rear diff cover, brakes and now exhaust manifolds and downpipe/offroad pipes are done.

The car sounds freaking perfect. Taking the cats off gave me just what I was looking for as far as sound. Once the roads are clean again I'll get it back on the dyno and see what happened to the power from the changes, it should have surely gone up.

I'll post pics once we get them hosted, right now they are too large to be posted here.

Here's a shot of the race pipes/offroad pipes I built, we've got these available for anyone that wants them. Direct replacement for the factory cats on the Shelby GT.

stangORP.jpg

Here is what the factory exhaust sounds like with just the removal of the cats. My car is off course supercharged now but this is what yours will sound like:

I took the "shorty header" path a few years back, results in my sig.

The dyno results showed nominal gains, and on paper (and the rollers), the mods were not impressive. However my "seat of my pants" feelings were very pleasant, and I enjoyed this mod even more with a "muffler delete" addition.

Everything is relative to cost; how much you want to (can) spend, and I was not disappointed with my investment. "Pypes" T-304 polished stainless steel shortys, and some mild custom pipe fabing by my local Midas shop, and I got what I wanted (at that time).

Considering the time and money I spent back then (and time is money), I got a whole lot of "bang for my buck" following this path.

Mild "bolt-ons" is a good start, but be careful. Sometimes "mild" gets "wild", and LuLu has become a very wild child.

Be safe, Gents, carry on...

• 7 months later...

Agreed, mild can turn wild quickly. I wouldn't change a thing with the manifold and off road pipe project though, still happy as can be.

The car has run a best of 11.91 at 120.66 mph now, on radials. Love the car!!

We have the pipes in stock, manifold and valve cover cores in stock too, keeps the wait times down.

Archived