TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New owner shocked at what's missing on my Shelby!

lark830

Just picked up my Grabber blue with red stripe Shelby GT 500 tonight. I was absolutely shocked at something I hadn't noticed, yet me wife did.

I was sitting in the driver seat smiling ear to ear, glad that I finally got the car after negotiating for a few weeks with various dealers, when my wife said,

"hey where are the shelby letters on the back?"

My heart dropped out of my chest!! LOL...Sure enough, the word S H E L B Y was not on the back of the trunk! I hadn't even noticed it, yet it was one of the coolest things I thought was part of the design of the car. It was really crazy to see my wife notice that. She had only seen the car once, other than tonight when we picked it up! I've obsessed on this car for weeks, looking at the pics a thousand times, hitting all of the forums, yet it didn't enter my mind to look at the back to make sure it was there. I mean, why would I?

Anyway, I almost freaked out at the fact that the letters weren't there. So much so that I almost called off the deal! We both drove down to San Diego, which took almost 3 hours in the rain, only to get there and take delivery of a car reported to be a Shelby. Is it really one? I'm sure it is, lol... Everything else is there. Interior is the same as the pics, the engine is identical, the exhaust....oh my gawd!!!!, and the bodywork is all the same, yet it lacks the letters.

The dealer said it was ordered like that! I was like, "huh?" Who would do that?!? Even IF you could do that, why would you delete the word Shelby? To go incognito? The color alone, with the red stripe, blows that possibility!

I made a fuss and they plan on calling Ford Monday to get my letters! lol

Has anyone come across something like this?

thanks

Kenny

first i've heard of this happening. As far as I know you are not given an option to order a GT500 without the Shelby badging. I'd be half tempted to tell the dealership good bye for just trying to give the excuse that it was ordered like that (unless of course that is a possibility), and go find a more honest dealership. which dealership was this?

Just picked up my Grabber blue with red stripe Shelby GT 500 tonight. I was absolutely shocked at something I hadn't noticed, yet me wife did.

I was sitting in the driver seat smiling ear to ear, glad that I finally got the car after negotiating for a few weeks with various dealers, when my wife said,

My heart dropped out of my chest!! LOL...Sure enough, the word S H E L B Y was not on the back of the trunk! I hadn't even noticed it, yet it was one of the coolest things I thought was part of the design of the car. It was really crazy to see my wife notice that. She had only seen the car once, other than tonight when we picked it up! I've obsessed on this car for weeks, looking at the pics a thousand times, hitting all of the forums, yet it didn't enter my mind to look at the back to make sure it was there. I mean, why would I?

Anyway, I almost freaked out at the fact that the letters weren't there. So much so that I almost called off the deal! We both drove down to San Diego, which took almost 3 hours in the rain, only to get there and take delivery of a car reported to be a Shelby. Is it really one? I'm sure it is, lol... Everything else is there. Interior is the same as the pics, the engine is identical, the exhaust....oh my gawd!!!!, and the bodywork is all the same, yet it lacks the letters.

The dealer said it was ordered like that! I was like, "huh?" Who would do that?!? Even IF you could do that, why would you delete the word Shelby? To go incognito? The color alone, with the red stripe, blows that possibility!

thanks

Kenny

Kenny, the dealer needs to get this corrected. It's not all that uncommon for a new car to arrive with something missing or an occasional error on parts that should or should not have been on a car. I worked for Hertz for 25 years and saw a lot of new car deliveries, and many times saw a car that was mis-badged or not badged at all. Clearly, this is an issue for your dealer and Ford to correct. If the dealer continues with the "that's the way it was ordered" claim, then go on the internet to Ford.com and get them involved. I think you will see some very quick corrective action, especially since you bought a $50,000 car. hope this helps, Larry

thanks

Kenny

This sometimes happens in mass produced cars. Don't sweat it. They'll order a set of SHELBY letters from parts and in a couple days you'll have them on. I remember this happened to several Terminator owners back in 03 when their cars came off the truck with no cobra badges on the side. Could have also been theft, but most likely just a clitch. With your wife's keen observation abilities, I'd counsel you to walk the straight and narrow for the rest of your life.!! Congats on your new car!

This sometimes happens in mass produced cars. Don't sweat it. They'll order a set of SHELBY letters from parts and in a couple days you'll have them on. I remember this happened to several Terminator owners back in 03 when their cars came off the truck with no cobra badges on the side. Could have also been theft, but most likely just a clitch. With your wife's keen observation abilities, I'd counsel you to walk the straight and narrow for the rest of your life.!! Congats on your new car!

Does the dealer know how to put the letters on? Are they provided with a template?

Check the spelling when they are done you don't want to end up driving a S H E B Y.

It happened to me, too.

The dealer ordered the letters and installed them, however it looks like crap. One or two letters are little higher than the others and one is a little crooked. I'm going to eat it and just order a template and do it over myself.

Enjoy the new ride!

Trust me, I was livid and about to walk! I had a handful more options in the socal area, and they knew it. My wife also raised a big stink, but there are a few reasons why I calmed down.

1. I got it for a great price. $48k...I live in Sherman Oaks, CA, which is down the street from Galpin Ford who had a handful of GT500's. They didn't wanna budge on the price they gave me for their grabber blue with red stripe car, after weeks of negotiating, which, was only 500 below sticker. So, I drove to San Diego to get this color combo. The only other car with the same combo was located in Indiana on ebay. Didn't want to have to worry about shipping it here to L.A, plus it didn't have the nav. This has all of the options I wanted, NAV, HID.

Both Galpin Ford and Fuller Ford, where I purchased it, had the ridiculous dealer markup sticker on the car. Galpin wanted 20 grand over sticker, Fuller wanted 25 grand over sticker!!!! lol. DENIED. I got it for almost 3k BELOW sticker. They also gave me a great deal on my trade.

2. It was the rather young, inexperienced salesman who said it was ordered that way. He honestly believed that it could be ordered without the badge. What he really was saying was, "it came from the factory like that." not it was ordered like that.

Anyway, when the sales manager got involved, he was shocked as I was, and said the same thing we both said, "it needs the badge! why would you get one that doesn't have it!!" He told me he will absolutely will call Ford and tell them what the situation is to get the badge over to them, so they can put it on. I believe him. I also got a letter signed by them saying that's what they will do.

So, that's it! Time to enjoy this thing! I love it way more than I thought I would. This is my first domestic purchase since 1994!!! My sports cars have been all german types (911, m3).

The sound this thing makes is indescribable! The interior is much better than previous mustangs. It doesn't match the level of BMW's, (we still have 2008 528, as a family car)but it's great for a sports car.

First funny story...Driving it back last night with all of the stickers still attached, I guess it was a 11pm. I was driving on the 805 doing at least 80, when a cop pulled up on my passenger side, and drove along side of me for awhile. I knew he wouldn't pull me over, even though I was going over the speed limit. We couldn't make eye contact because of the window sticker still being attached to the passenger side window. He snuck up on me from behind, and probably didn't see a plate on the car, drove alongside saw the sticker, then hovered a little, then backed off. My wife was nervous, but I was like, "he's not going to stop me!"

I wasn't being crazy or reckless. Everyone around us was doing 80. Ain't no way I'm blending in with this car, even at night!! My 911 was speed yellow, so I'm use to the attention. It's a second car, so I can blend in with the other car if I don't want the attention.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted about the lettering thing...I want it properly spelled, and properly positioned on the car, just like from the factory! That's the next chapter in my first Shelby story. LOL.

By the way, I named that car Jen, after my wife, since she spotted the snafu.

Kenny

I also forgot the mention that after I noticed the rear Shelby badge missing, I checked for everything! Even for the supercharger under the hood! It IS there, along with the boost gauge on the dashboard, and the lovely, lovely whine!!!

All snake badges are also there. It's a Shelby! It just doesn't know it's name. lol

;)

Kenny

post-27112-126555743109_thumb.jpg

post-27112-126555743322_thumb.jpg

post-27112-126555743109_thumb.jpg

post-27112-126555743322_thumb.jpg

I also forgot the mention that after I noticed the rear Shelby badge missing, I checked for everything! Even for the supercharger under the hood! It IS there, along with the boost gauge on the dashboard, and the lovely, lovely whine!!!

All snake badges are also there. It's a Shelby! It just doesn't know it's name. lol

;)

Kenny

GT 500 front.jpg

GT 500 Rear.jpg

just saying ,make sure that your car wasn't damaged in shipping,,I had a friend that bought a new 2008 GT mustang from a Ford dealership ,his front bumper had been repaint after it was shipped out from Ford ,man was he upset,,alot of things can happen on the shipping trains or trucks,,if you have ever seen them being shipped you would know,,again just saying maybe something you should check,,,check the paint real close,,because once someone pulled the rear Shelby emblems off you can't re-stick them you have you get new ones ,, :redcard:

2. It was the rather young, inexperienced salesman who said it was ordered that way. He honestly believed that it could be ordered without the badge. What he really was saying was, "it came from the factory like that." not it was ordered like that.

Anyway, when the sales manager got involved, he was shocked as I was, and said the same thing we both said, "it needs the badge! why would you get one that doesn't have it!!" He told me he will absolutely will call Ford and tell them what the situation is to get the badge over to them, so they can put it on. I believe him. I also got a letter signed by them saying that's what they will do.

Well since it was already addressed, I won't tell you what I was *going* to tell you which is, the saleman is a LIAR!

But I won't tell you that now.

Having said that, *insist* that they install it with a template. If they don't, it WILL NOT be right. You can 'string it', you can 'tape it', you can eye-ball it but it just won't come out right. I'm not sure why but I suspect it's due to the curve and angle of the rear deck lid. So again, insist they get and use a template. They're cheap, one of the Team Shelby members sells them and/or you can get them from Shelby. It's likely that FOMOCO has them too, I'm just not sure.

As far as the missing badges being 'ordered like that', there is *no* badge delete option on the 2010's (not sure about previous MY's). The only delete option you have on a 2010 is the stripe delete option.

Incidently, there are badge delete options on many other vehicles and that is *likely* why the salesman tried to tell you that. He just didn't know (my guess).

When I 'built' my GT500 on the Ford site they *did* have a 3.55:1 rear gear ration option.... when I went into my dealer with my build sheet he told me "they ALL come with 3.55's!". But ther it was, on their own Internet site... I clicked on the "want" box and everything. I don't think it showed a charge for the 3.55's but it *did* show the option. Not long after I got the car the 'option' was no longer available on the Ford 'build it' page.

Anyway, glad you got it straightened out (no pun inteneded, but you'll see what I mean if they install it without the template!).

Enjoy,

Phill

Im sure youve already thought of this,but have them get you the letters and the template,and you put them on yourself--youll care alot more than some minimum wage guy who they tell "put the letters on".There are sevral post on the TS forum on puting the letters on straight

PS Iwas just thinking, one of our members actually took the letters off and replaced them withj black shelby letters--he has a silver/blck stripe car and it looked great.I know its a personal taste thing, but ill bet Shelby letters matching the red paint strip would look awesome

Hey Kenny-

My car came with a pin hole crack in front windshield near passenger side. figured it caught a rock on transport. I did not see it at first. My friend that owns an M3 was over (his girlfriend drooling at the sound of my car) and was quick to point out "that is a huge defect". I did not even bother with dealer.. gonna have a windshield company fix at some point before I start driving a lot. I normally would have gone to dealer but after reading all the other stories people have with the car (missing paint, bent axels, etc, bubbles in stripes, body panels not fitting well) I kinda felt lucky.

I agree with the others, have someone else like reputable body shop put on letters or do it yourself with a template.

M.

Glad you're happy with your car! I LOVE that GB and red stripe combo! :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I wouldn't take that whole "Oh, it it was ordered that way or it came in that way" B.S.! It was either left off or some punk worker stole them. :censored::angry22::rant2:

Well I hope they don't give you anymore B.S. about installing them for you.

Absolutely a beautiful car! I WANT ONE JUST LIKE IT! :happy feet: :happy feet:

One of our 2009 GT500's showed up without the SHELBY lettering on the trunk lid. I didn't even notice it until I posted pics of it online here in the forums and some of the forum members pointed it out. It was a factory misbuild, simply built w/o the lettering going on. We ordered the lettering and made the car right for the customer who ended up buying it. It amazes me that things like this get past quality control at the factory, but I see it from time to time.

My 1999 SVT Contour had the entire drivers side brake assembly from the standard Contour. The caliper and rotor were smaller than what was put on the passenger side. It took weeks for the dealer to even figure out how to get the correct parts and have it all corrected. Makes me wonder how many GT500's might be running around with the incorrect rear brake pads, wrong struts, wrong sway bars, etc... things nobody checks.

Totally unacceptable quality control, sounds like the inspection process is just a ruse.headscratch.gif

thanks

Kenny

One of our 2009 GT500's showed up without the SHELBY lettering on the trunk lid. I didn't even notice it until I posted pics of it online here in the forums and some of the forum members pointed it out. It was a factory misbuild, simply built w/o the lettering going on. We ordered the lettering and made the car right for the customer who ended up buying it. It amazes me that things like this get past quality control at the factory, but I see it from time to time.

How long did it take Ford to send the lettering over to your dealership Brian? Did they also send a template along with it? The salesman got back to me today and said it would take about a month! :cry:

best

Kenny

I hope the car wasn't damaged in the rear and then they forgot or the letters were backordered or something like that!!! As a former Ford dealer ( back in the mid 80's to late 90's ) I saw this happen a few times. Usually the cars would get damaged during there transition from rail to convoy trucks. MOST of the time FORD never even told me the dealer that there was a problem just that that particular car I was waiting on was held up in transit. I caught them a few times and always informed the buyer if I knew. I doubt this happened to you but it does happen! Just a thought, denohew P.S. They should ship these cars in covered convoys. It wouldn't cost them that much especially if they coordinated their final destination from the rail hub.

Trust me, I was livid and about to walk! I had a handful more options in the socal area, and they knew it. My wife also raised a big stink, but there are a few reasons why I calmed down.

1. I got it for a great price. $48k...I live in Sherman Oaks, CA, which is down the street from Galpin Ford who had a handful of GT500's. They didn't wanna budge on the price they gave me for their grabber blue with red stripe car, after weeks of negotiating, which, was only 500 below sticker. So, I drove to San Diego to get this color combo. The only other car with the same combo was located in Indiana on ebay. Didn't want to have to worry about shipping it here to L.A, plus it didn't have the nav. This has all of the options I wanted, NAV, HID.

Both Galpin Ford and Fuller Ford, where I purchased it, had the ridiculous dealer markup sticker on the car. Galpin wanted 20 grand over sticker, Fuller wanted 25 grand over sticker!!!! lol. DENIED. I got it for almost 3k BELOW sticker. They also gave me a great deal on my trade.

So, that's it! Time to enjoy this thing! I love it way more than I thought I would. This is my first domestic purchase since 1994!!! My sports cars have been all german types (911, m3).

The sound this thing makes is indescribable! The interior is much better than previous mustangs. It doesn't match the level of BMW's, (we still have 2008 528, as a family car)but it's great for a sports car.

First funny story...Driving it back last night with all of the stickers still attached, I guess it was a 11pm. I was driving on the 805 doing at least 80, when a cop pulled up on my passenger side, and drove along side of me for awhile. I knew he wouldn't pull me over, even though I was going over the speed limit. We couldn't make eye contact because of the window sticker still being attached to the passenger side window. He snuck up on me from behind, and probably didn't see a plate on the car, drove alongside saw the sticker, then hovered a little, then backed off. My wife was nervous, but I was like, "he's not going to stop me!"

I wasn't being crazy or reckless. Everyone around us was doing 80. Ain't no way I'm blending in with this car, even at night!! My 911 was speed yellow, so I'm use to the attention. It's a second car, so I can blend in with the other car if I don't want the attention.

Anyway, I'll keep you guys posted about the lettering thing...I want it properly spelled, and properly positioned on the car, just like from the factory! That's the next chapter in my first Shelby story. LOL.

By the way, I named that car Jen, after my wife, since she spotted the snafu.

Kenny

Interesting about the lettering. I will be checking my vehicle for the lettering the the cobra logos. I bought my Grabber Blue / Red Strip GT500 at Galpin Ford last November. You did great on the price. I live in the SF Bay Area where the best deal was $5K over sticker. I bought my GT500 at sticker price but, the dealer deliveried my car to Norcal at no additional charge.

Mike

I'd guess the Grabber Blue/Red is probably one of the rarest color combos

Congrats on the new car. :happy feet:

I've heard of some Shelby's not having certain parts painted...owner decides to paint the parts. Finds out later that the car was one of two that came that way from the factory. :banghead:

Rare :bowdown:

I'd take pictures of the missing letters just for documentation. Good thing they are held on by tape not drilled into the deck lid. You can have the Dealer install. ENJOY

Archived