TEAM SHELBY FORUM

New mods ready for installation pt II

Shipwright

Well its that time of the year again when I collect my next batch of parts to modify my GO GT500, as you can see theres a rather large pile of boxes in my spare room. Please dont laugh at the pink carpet, it came with the house and I will eventually be getting rid of it.

DSCN0654.jpg

This year Im attempting to answer important philosophical questions that have troubled modern man/woman since the beginning of the first automobile.

#1 how to make a car both hot and cool at the same time?

The answer is.

DSCN0650.jpg

While the SHELBY GT500 is definitely hot car the car, as you all know, can get overheated at times, particularly if power upgrades are present (not yet in my case). So here we have a C&R/Shelby Radiator and Heat Exchanger with all associated parts and a Reisch 170deg. Thermostat. I also have a MOROSO Radiator and Heat Exchanger tanks (Since this photo was taken I have sent out both tanks to be refinished in a black wrinkle powder coat to match the stock tanks and blower).

DSCN0651.jpg

Here you can see the twin electric pull through fans for the Heat Exchanger.

#2 how to make a fast car slow?

The answer is.

DSCN0652-1.jpg

A set of AP Racing 14 ¼ inch cross drilled and vented front disc brakes with six piston calipers (I plan on getting the matching rear set next year at the latest).

Finally, how to keep the those big brakes from fading under constant hard use?

DSCN0655.jpg

A FRPP Brake Cooling kit with a pair of SHELBY bezels should help to keep the brakes from baking. I also purchased a spare lower grill because I promised myself not to install any modification that was not purely bolt on, I would not drill or weld anything on my car unless I had a spare to replace the damaged part. Im doing this so that I can always return the car to stock configuration if I ever decide to sell (never gonna happen but you never know what life will throw at you).

In case you are interested here is list of my other modifcations.

Appearance mods:

CDC Dead Pedal

Steeda Hydraulic Hood Lifts

Web Electric Sequential Tail Lights

Carroll Shelby Signed Passenger Air Bag Cover

Carroll Shelby signed Center Dash Plaque and Door Sills (not yet installed)

Converted passenger seat to a power unit (keeps the wife from carjacking me)

Performance mods (installed):

FRPP FR3SVT Handling Package (full package)

Maximum Motorsport Adjustable Caster Camber Plates

FRPP “KR” Short Throw Shifter

FRPP “KR” Axle Back Mufflers (I had FRPP 5GT/Borla Stingers before but the wife couldn’t take the drone).

Evolution Performance Lower Control arms (Poly bushings)

BMR Adjustable Upper Control Arm (Poly Bushings)

Metco Heavy Duty Upper Control Arm Bracket

Saleen Watts Link

Michelin Pilot Sport Tires (not really a performance mod but certainly better than the hockey puck like F1’s)

Nice mod list. I just had the radiator and heat exchanger installed last week, and I have the Reische thermostat sitting on a shelf waiting for warmer weather.

Just a word of caution though, on the radiator install, the two upper front OEM bolts are too long due to the increased thickness of the new radiator. If you don't change the bolts or use washers the bolts will puncture the side tanks. I had the Ford dealership install mine, and of course the tech didn't watch what he was doing. Had to pull the radiator back out and weld the holes closed. They got it right the 2nd try. :banghead:

I've really been wanting to do the brake cooling kit as well, please let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck!

Nice mod list. I just had the radiator and heat exchanger installed last week, and I have the Reische thermostat sitting on a shelf waiting for warmer weather.

Just a word of caution though, on the radiator install, the two upper front OEM bolts are too long due to the increased thickness of the new radiator. If you don't change the bolts or use washers the bolts will puncture the side tanks. I had the Ford dealership install mine, and of course the tech didn't watch what he was doing. Had to pull the radiator back out and weld the holes closed. They got it right the 2nd try. :banghead:

I've really been wanting to do the brake cooling kit as well, please let us know how it goes for you.

Good luck!

Definitely watch the length of the bolts but take special not of which bolts (torx) get removed from what location and the direction. Some of the bolts are acutally multi-directional and can be installed incorrectly. As with any install take your time and don't rush through anything.

Glad to see they got your issue taken care of. We actually manufacture the radiator to provide for the necessary clearances once you re-use the radiator clips from the stock radiator and we also provide two additional bolts for the mounting because of the larger size. Just observe and be cautious.

Van

Definitely watch the length of the bolts but take special not of which bolts (torx) get removed from what location and the direction. Some of the bolts are acutally multi-directional and can be installed incorrectly. As with any install take your time and don't rush through anything.

Glad to see they got your issue taken care of. We actually manufacture the radiator to provide for the necessary clearances once you re-use the radiator clips from the stock radiator and we also provide two additional bolts for the mounting because of the larger size. Just observe and be cautious.

Van

So I am guessing this heat exchanger is not like the AFCO one am I correct? Because a buddy of mine told me that he had to drill into the side and a few other things basically take the entire front end off and change some things that would not easily be reversed. Is this just a simple install? And if so, is it as efficient as the other units?

Archived