TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500 2011

1970boss302

Well all those people who payed thousands over the list price for a 2007 Shelby GT500 may have done in vain.

With Ford continuing to build the Shelby GT500 into the future the price of the existing Shelby's continue to drop.

What are your thought on this ? Did you buy your car for an investment or fun ??

Well all those people who payed thousands over the list price for a 2007 Shelby GT500 may have done in vain.

With Ford continuing to build the Shelby GT500 into the future the price of the existing Shelby's continue to drop.

What are your thought on this ? Did you buy your car for an investment or fun ??

Historically a good investment has a return of +10% annually. In the history of cars, there are very few that have been a "good investment". Naturally I bought mine for the fun, looks, performance and the history.

I have a 08 GT500KR which i paid 53K ( msrp 80k ) with 1000 miles . They only made 1000 in 08 and it's not a daily driver . But when i do drive it WOW it's a blast. Will it hold it's value who knows.I would say i purchased it for the FUN factor 1st with an eye on value second.

Glad I got my 09 for CHEAP! Way under invoice. It was an 08 run 2009 that sat on the lot for almost a year before I got it. Thats why they dropped their pants on it. And whats really funny is that I looked and test drove it the early spring it was at the dealer and they wouldnt budge on it. Then I went back almost a year later and they still had it and then they were willing to deal. When I went there in spring of 09 they wanted $10K over sticker. I ended up paying $38K OTD for it.

I think 2011 could be the last year of the GT500 due to the 5 year agreement between Mr. Shelby and Ford, 2007-2011. I have not seen where this agreement has been renewed. If this is true, the 2011 GT500 will probably out-sell the GT350 15 to 1 the first year. 2O12 with no GT500's would be a much better year for the GT350. Yes, they are both great cars, each has it's own niche, but they will basically be sharing the same market. The safe thing to to is buy the car to drive and have fun. For those my age its a second chance to part of the Shelby History. Yes, I love my 07 GT500 and it will remain in the family for many years. Does anyone know for sure if there is going to be a 2012 GT500?

Historically a good investment has a return of +10% annually. In the history of cars, there are very few that have been a "good investment". Naturally I bought mine for the fun, looks, performance and the history.

Using 10% a 1965 ShelbyGT350 cost new $4500 @10% in 45years would be worth $328K . So even a 65 Shelby will not get you 10% but they will get you between 7 %and 8%. I consider that good.

Using 10% a 1965 ShelbyGT350 cost new $4500 @10% in 45years would be worth $328K . So even a 65 Shelby will not get you 10% but they will get you between 7 %and 8%. I consider that good.

There is a flaw in your calculation.

Within your 7%-10% return is the cost of maintaining your investment.

And I'm not just talking about regular maintenence.

There is the cost of annual title/registration, annual insurance premiums, the cost of storage (let's face it, even your home base garage costs you money), and then the cost of regular maintenence on top of it all (oil & filter changes, brakes, tires, coolant, gasoline, washing/waxing, etc.).

On top of all that there is depreciation due ot useage.

You will *not* see a 7-10% gain on a vehicle. You will be darn *lucky* to see any gain at all and more than likely, you will realize a loss.

Anyone who tells you they bought a modern day car as a investment is either foolish, stupid or crazy.

And that's not just opinion, that is fact. Unfortunately, I still see quite a few individuals claiming it's an investment. I used to see it a LOT with Harley's.

Sorry, it just ain't so...

Phill Pollard

I'm not sure who said it, but the quote this brings to mind is, "Never consider an investment that rusts, must be fed or needs repair." Not sure I go along with all that, but I certainly didn't buy mine for an investment. It's more of a dream car to me and I'll use it as such. Oh, I'm sure well preserved and all original models will appreciate some where down the road, but not as an "investment".

I think 2011 could be the last year of the GT500 due to the 5 year agreement between Mr. Shelby and Ford, 2007-2011. I have not seen where this agreement has been renewed. If this is true, the 2011 GT500 will probably out-sell the GT350 15 to 1 the first year. 2O12 with no GT500's would be a much better year for the GT350. Yes, they are both great cars, each has it's own niche, but they will basically be sharing the same market. The safe thing to to is buy the car to drive and have fun. For those my age its a second chance to part of the Shelby History. Yes, I love my 07 GT500 and it will remain in the family for many years. Does anyone know for sure if there is going to be a 2012 GT500?

The 5 year agreement that was signed in 2008 will end in 2013.

silver08elly you said it best being young single and owning one of these cars is awesome its been my dream car since the day i first saw a picture of one i just hope someday i can pass it on down to a son or daughter the second best thing is i got the car a month after my ex gf of 5 years left me boy was she mad i still laugh to this day

Fun.

The 5 year agreement that was signed in 2008 will end in 2013.

I'm confused. So the agreement was signed 2 years into production? 07 MY production started fall of 06 and 08 MY production fall of 07, but the contract was not signed until 08? headscratch.gif Are there two agreements? My understanding was that it was a 5 year agreement and covered MY's 07 thru 11. Beyond 2011 SVT will still build Mustangs, but they will not be Shelby's.

I think the 07-09 Shelby GT500 is the best looking late model Shelby built. Ford hasn't built a better looking Shelby. They are no different that anything else, as long as the demand for new ones is weak and Ford/Shelby produce more, the value isn't helped.

This still doesn't change what the 07-09's have that the rest don't, that being the best looks. Ford isn't producing that body syle again.

I think alot of owners feel like I do and am 100% certain it's a great car and get great satisfaction every time we see and or drive it. Of course it sucks any time you have to sell something that should have been worth more, but crying about it doesn't change anything.

I bought it for fun, but hope it doesn't depreciate too bad. I hope to keep it a very long time, so what it is worth isn't all that realavent to me.

Value however, tends to track with desireability, and it is always more fun to have a desireable car. So as the prices come down, that means the desireability has also gone down.

I think time will look favoribly on the '07's-'09's. Books have been written about them, magazine articles galore, covers of magazines, etc.... I am hoping that they are the '67 Shelby's of modern day. Not that I want to get rich off it, as I wouldn't sell it for the money anyway, but more that it is a desireable car.

The whole concept that you paid too much for something is crazy. I paid over sticker, but I also got to the only one I saw on the road for at least 2 summers, and maybe saw 2-3 the third summer. It is the price you pay to be an early adopter. My computer could launch the shuttle, and sure 2-3 years from now, somebody can buy something faster for a lot less, but they can't launch the shuttle today, and I can.

I'm confused. So the agreement was signed 2 years into production? 07 MY production started fall of 06 and 08 MY production fall of 07, but the contract was not signed until 08? headscratch.gif Are there two agreements? My understanding was that it was a 5 year agreement and covered MY's 07 thru 11. Beyond 2011 SVT will still build Mustangs, but they will not be Shelby's.

That is exactly what I thought I read a few months back. So there must have been a two year contract for 07 and 08. Then it was renewed for five years 2009-2013. If Enis says the agreement is good till 2013, you have to believe it. That man knows more about what's going on than half the people at SAI. This will probably not help sales of the GT350 for the next three years.

That is exactly what I thought I read a few months back. So there must have been a two year contract for 07 and 08. Then it was renewed for five years 2009-2013. If Enis says the agreement is good till 2013, you have to believe it. That man knows more about what's going on than half the people at SAI. This will probably not help sales of the GT350 for the next three years.

+ 2 on Enis!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fun.

In 1995 I bought a brand new 23ft SeaRay open bow boat for $17,000. and sold it in 2008 when I decided that my new toy would be my GT500. Forever the saying was the best 2 days of a boat owner were the 1st and last. For me all 13 years were gradifying. The hours were super low, it was kept in my shop since day one when not in use and when I sold it I got more than I paid for it. An investment, no, but it was there when I wanted to use it the whole time my kids were growing up. As for my Shelby. I may drive it 1500 miles a year and I might not drive it at all some years. The same as my boat. But it resides in the same slot under cover as my old boat did.. I paid 500.00 over sticker, and do I think that I will sell it for close to that after 13 to 15 years? Absolutely not. Even if I get 10,000. less who cares. And I will get that. Because when that time comes, I can say that for 15 years I was able to walk back to my shop open the door and drive a Shelby GT500 any time I want.. PUT A RICE ON THAT! And for all of you worried about how many of these cars are built, let me say that I drive a Tractor-Trailer across all 48 states and since I bought my Shelby 2 years ago I may have seen 5 on the road, in cities and on interstates and 1 of those was mine. And yes, I consider myself so fortunate every time I take it out. And so does everyone that see's me in it.

Archived