TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Revealed

FordGeek

Main points I'm reading

* 102 pounds total weight loss from aluminium block + 10 pounds loss from Electronic Steering for a total loss of 120 pounds

* Ford devloped Plasma Transferred Wire Arc (PTWA) process which coats the cylinder heats saves 8.5 pounds over an aluminium SLEEVED block. Power now rated at 550 HP and 510 TQ (Ford licensed this technology to Nissan for the GT-R)

* Because of the weight reduction and added benifit of the PTWA coating the 2011 GT500's MPG are up to 15 and 23 meaning NO GAS GUZZLERS TAX

* Larger intercooler to address heat sink which results in power loss

I for one and very happy I wanted until 2011, now I just hope I can find an allocation!!! I'm not sold yet on the powder blue heads, hopefully that was a Ford GT thing.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest markham51

Good show...

Its awesome to see them continue to improve on the car. Its been my biggest problem with Ford...they build a class leader then let it get old. It shows hows they are really changing the nature of the company.

Maybe Ill trade the 07 convert on an 11..

Also looked liked the whte insert stripes are gone from the Seats on the SVT Package car and replaced with narrow black stripes.

I'm not so sure. Look at the autoblog article and the first red car picture in their gallery you can see through the windshield into the back seat and see the thick white stripes. Not a fan of the shift nob, the stripes are growing on me, and not liking the rim pattern. The offset wheels are nice but they should have gone wider in the back. I loved the response to why not a wider tire over the standard 19 tire. I'm sure it does help handling but it doesn't improve the launch and acceleration where the car needs some help. Also suprising that 3.73 gears and 100 lbs off the front is only helping acceleration by a tenth. That is well within driver and road error so no big gains there.

Jist sounds like a better engine and the long list of benefits befall though who want a vert. That puts the vert back in play for me with the stiffer body, suspension and 19" rims.

Those valve covers will look sweet on a grabber blue car.

Still disappointed they didn't get rid of the radio antenna, add heated seats, reverse camera, and full power front seats. That just seam like a basic thing.

I'd have like to see them ditch the radio antenna also, or just use the pod on the trunk that's for satellite radio, heated seats would be cool but I don't drive my car much when it's cold so would just be added weight, camera is cool but not needed for me and power seats on the passagner side...eh I don't have friends :headscratch:

Very good point, I don't see the white strips on the front seats, just all black!!!

The antenna thing blows my mind. Devil is in the details and that is crazy easy to put in the rear window or in the pod on the truck. I mean a $20k Nissan Altima has that.

Depending on your definition of "considerable", assuming Ford is using the same POS Goodyear F1's, I imagine .2 in the 1/4 and .1 to 60 faster.

Wow!!! I'm impressed! You nailed what they said the time differances would be and it was exactly .2 and .1.

So now, were you in on it already, or just that good?

I'm impressed with this new motor. They didn't focus so much on increasing power as they did on refinement and weight savings. Plasma coated cylinders are the bomb. I was wondering if they would sleeve the block but they went one better. I can see VVTI as the next step.

I'm not so sure. Look at the autoblog article and the first red car picture in their gallery you can see through the windshield into the back seat and see the thick white stripes.

You are right, they are clearly visible in the back seats! Although I don't see the white stripes in the front seats of any of the SVT package cars. I would hope that if they are in the back seat they are also in the front seats.

Wow!!! I'm impressed! You nailed what they said the time differances would be and it was exactly .2 and .1.

So now, were you in on it already, or just that good?

lol nah I was just using the old "100 lbs per tenth" and "10hp per tenth" in the 1/4. Made sense for 2 tenths in that and 1 tenth quicker to 60.

actually they said it would be able to handle AT LEAST as much as the old iron block.

I think that Plasma hokis pokis is a bunch of crap. The new engine will be lighter but will not last as long as the iron block, pure and simple. SUDDEN.

This block, as well as the Ford GT's block, can handle upwards of 1,000 H.P. without a Hiccup. There are many, many, Ford GT owners that are running 1,000 H.P. (++) Ford GT's, and none of them have any issues with their engines.

One of our members here owns a 1,050 H.P. Ford GT, and he has not had any issues with his car what so ever.

No one should be concerned about the aluminum block handling H.P.

There is no way that a company like FoMoCo would put a potentally lemon engine in their flagship (halo) car. Way too risky to do something stupid like that, especally nowadays when there is so much to loose.

:headscratch:

I think that Plasma hokis pokis is a bunch of crap. The new engine will be lighter but will not last as long as the iron block, pure and simple. SUDDEN.

uh ya.... :slapfight:

tell that to the Ford GT guys.... :happy feet:

Ive got a whipple 2.9 just waiting to go on this car when it comes... :salute:

did I say that out loud ;)

uh ya.... :slapfight:

tell that to the Ford GT guys.... :happy feet:

Ive got a whipple 2.9 just waiting to go on this car when it comes... :salute:

did I say that out loud ;)

The Ford GT guys don't have the spray on liners. They also have a better rod and piston package. People really should not compare the Ford GT shortblock with this.

no the GT-R guys do and they are running a much higher HP/CID load on the engines and those engines are modding very well....

I do not think that the GT-R guys are running stock blocks and heads, please people get real here. Stop@ go traffic is much harder on heat then even full out racing. For what we do with our street machines is so much different then in racing. The Ford GT is very light and areo, not a big fat horse like we have. SUDDEN.

I do not think that the GT-R guys are running stock blocks and heads, please people get real here. Stop@ go traffic is much harder on heat then even full out racing. For what we do with our street machines is so much different then in racing. The Ford GT is very light and areo, not a big fat horse like we have. SUDDEN.

I belive he's talking about the Nissan GT-R, STOCK factory supercar, not a GTR race car.

And yes, they *do* run stock blocks/heads. The block is the same technology that Ford uses.

Phill

I belive he's talking about the Nissan GT-R, STOCK factory supercar, not a GTR race car.

And yes, they *do* run stock blocks/heads. The block is the same technology that Ford uses.

Phill

:salute:

you got it Phill!

there's always one in the bunch!

Lets wait and see, if the damn thing grenades, which I seriously doubt with SVT's rep on the line, then we will know for sure :)

I am very disappointed in the 2011. Forget the numbers, it just looks silly. The stripes look like a cheap after thought and the wheels look very strange and not in a good way. Why can't they just offer a chrome 19 or 20 like the Corvette. And they really need to offer the customer the option of getting the 2010 wide stripes even with the SVT package. And a glass roof in a hot climate is not an option i would want but it looks interesting.

After a long day at work today, I had completely forgotten about today's excitement. Well, I've watched this clip almost five times now, staring at the laptop before me.

And I am really digging this car.

I...want...those...wheels! They fill the rear wheel well perfectly. Concentrically, as opposed to the "jacked up" unequal fore/aft gap that the stockers came with previously.

The narrow stripe(s) says "Yeah. It's still me. But I'm leaner. Sharper. Cleaner. Stronger. And when I dance, you'll notice how tone I am now too. I left the fat on the gym floor"... :superhero:

The sound...exactly what I was hoping for with the addition of just "KR" mufflers to my own car - but didn't (and won't ever) get. It'll be interesting to see if the larger diameter H-pipe is a bolt on affair to both the older exhaust manifolds and the pipes after the H-pipe. Mmm.

And suddenly, my '09 seems somehow archaic, and I seriously didn't see that happening. Ford is pushing technology to the limits, starting on a truly molecular level. The Plasma Transferred Wire Arc process is nothing short of amazing. They've mainstreamed NASA level technology.

The best part of this? Ford has laid down the gauntlet. This, along with the Coyote powered GT, will ensure that both GM and Chrysler up their game. I'm looking forward to see what GM has in response to this and oddly enough, what Chrysler's approach will be to all of this.

Things were beginning to look a little bleak, with a bit of uncertainty as to where this "culture" was headed. But wow, Ford is truly taking the lead and bringing this thing to a whole 'nother level. Kudos to you, FoMoCo. You deserve it.

Tob

:happy feet:

After a long day at work today, I had completely forgotten about today's excitement. Well, I've watched this clip almost five times now, staring at the laptop before me.

And I am really digging this car.

I...want...those...wheels! They fill the rear wheel well perfectly. Concentrically, as opposed to the "jacked up" unequal fore/aft gap that the stockers came with previously.

The narrow stripe(s) says "Yeah. It's still me. But I'm leaner. Sharper. Cleaner. Stronger. And when I dance, you'll notice how tone I am now too. I left the fat on the gym floor"... :superhero:

The sound...exactly what I was hoping for with the addition of just "KR" mufflers to my own car - but didn't (and won't ever) get. It'll be interesting to see if the larger diameter H-pipe is a bolt on affair to both the older exhaust manifolds and the pipes after the H-pipe. Mmm.

And suddenly, my '09 seems somehow archaic, and I seriously didn't see that happening. Ford is pushing technology to the limits, starting on a truly molecular level. The Plasma Transferred Wire Arc process is nothing short of amazing. They've mainstreamed NASA level technology.

The best part of this? Ford has laid down the gauntlet. This, along with the Coyote powered GT, will ensure that both GM and Chrysler up their game. I'm looking forward to see what GM has in response to this and oddly enough, what Chrysler's approach will be to all of this.

Things were beginning to look a little bleak, with a bit of uncertainty as to where this "culture" was headed. But wow, Ford is truly taking the lead and bringing this thing to a whole 'nother level. Kudos to you, FoMoCo. You deserve it.

Tob

:happy feet: I knew I liked you Tob, you read my mind ;)

Well I'm relieved!! I was concerned about the stripes and wheels but after seeing this, I'm happy :happy feet: with my order. I think the wheels will look great with a black car and think red stripes with silver outline will work with the black also. HURRY UP allocations and VIN#s!!!!! :dance::dance::dance:

Less Weight, Better Handling, Better sound, I like it, Great Improvments IMO.

You can still achieve above said with some modding. Great Job Ford/Shelby and the SVT.

For potential GT500 owners you will absolutely LOVE the 11.

:salute:

Archived