TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Revealed

FordGeek

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"There's more to tell, but unfortunately, we're sworn to secrecy until 1:30 sharp on Monday. What we will say is this: The Mustang V6 and GT aren't the only ponys in the stable that get better for 2011. As good - great, even - as the 2010 Shelby GT500 is, the 2011 improves on the formula. Stay tuned for some pretty hot stuff on Monday."

What are they referring to? The suspension? We all already know about that. Could it be an IRS? NO.

Does anyone think it's going to be announced that the the GT500 name plate is going into its final year? NOPE.

I for one am really excited that Ford is stepping up and making changes to the 2011 GT500 only a year after they had already made changes in 2010. I think it shows Ford may be listening more then ever to what the Mustang fans want. I've always loved Mustangs, some changes over the years haven't been to my liking others have grown on me, but the 2010/2011 GT500 along with the 5.0 L coming back has got me EXCITED again about Mustangs. I had been actively looking for used C6 ZO6's until reading more and more about the 2010 and rumored/now come true aluminium block for 2011. Long live America's Pony car!!!

For 2011, I'm on the lookout to see if Ford:

- optimized/changed camshafts

- switched from a cast iron exhaust manifold to a tubular design, ala the Coyote

- altered the blower in any way

- changed the clutch yet again

- strengthened the 8.8" rear, including the use of a ribbed, cast aluminum cover

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they finally use a Carillo or Manley billet steel H-beam rod. I know that powdered forgings have come a long way, including their use within '07-'10 blown 5.4 engines. I still want to see Ford nut up and put a top notch rod in this engine. The last blown, aluminum engine Ford used had them, and that engine was only rated at 550 hp...

I think you just described the 2014 model....

I don't think changing the block from iron to aluminum is anything compared to 95 vs 96 cobra. 5.0 ohv vs 4.6 dohc. Next there were and still are more aftermarket parts for a 95 cobra than a 96. I'd say there is even more aftermarket parts for 2010 Shelby than a 96 cobra. If you want to talk about a 96 GT then you are even more crazy. The 96-98 Gt were probably the worse years ever for a V8 mustang. I have no idea where you are coming from or what you are talking about.

I have had a 96 in my garage for a few years now. It's a sweet driving Stang and the 4.6 engine runs great. I disagree with your statement.

054.jpg

055.jpg

MustangGTS375.jpg

MustangGTS319.jpg

Am with you all here, the SVT package stripes look too narrow and the wheels are ugly, the 10 wheels are gorgeous.

The glass road is interesting, but would only be realistic in cooler climates.

The aluminum block is a nice feature, but am thinking that the iron block may have better cycle stress resistance.

Electric steering could be something 10 owners may be able to bolt on as a mod...

3.73's have been available for a long time already.

Agree, Happy with my 2010..

I've have a '11 Black with red stripes and SVT package Vert. on order. IF the stripes are like that, I will deffinately peel them off and paint on the CORRECT stripes :jackinbox: . I'm also not to happy with the "silver" accents :headscratch: what ever that ends up being either. But still excited about getting one!! :happy feet:

I will have to see a 2011 w/stripes in person to make my decision. I ordered a Grabber Blue w/ stripe delete and the SVT Pkg. so I can have whatever I want ( stripe wise ) PAINTED on my car. The new block sounds great. Any weight off the front end will help in the handling dept.. The car SHOULD be a tad bit faster and maybe not "push" so much in the corners. Ford monitors these boards so if enough people put in there " TWO CENTS " they will be aware of it and I think the final production car might have a few minor changes to it. Just my two cents, denohew

I will have to see a 2011 w/stripes in person to make my decision. I ordered a Grabber Blue w/ stripe delete and the SVT Pkg. so I can have whatever I want ( stripe wise ) PAINTED on my car. The new block sounds great. Any weight off the front end will help in the handling dept.. The car SHOULD be a tad bit faster and maybe not "push" so much in the corners. Ford monitors these boards so if enough people put in there " TWO CENTS " they will be aware of it and I think the final production car might have a few minor changes to it. Just my two cents, denohew

I don't have the order guide with me right now, so what (if any) seat accents will you get with a "Stripe Delete"?? :headscratch:

They tell me black and dark charcoal. That is fine with me because I am thinking of painting Red stripes on this car and I am not very fond of the red inserts from last year. Also I think I prefer the wider stripes but as I said earlier I can do whatever I want in that dept. . I will probably order the GT500 door vinyl stripes and match the color with my painted on body stripes. denohew

They tell me black and dark charcoal. That is fine with me because I am thinking of painting Red stripes on this car and I am not very fond of the red inserts from last year. Also I think I prefer the wider stripes but as I said earlier I can do whatever I want in that dept. . I will probably order the GT500 door vinyl stripes and match the color with my painted on body stripes. denohew

Given the uncertainy, the "Stripe Delete" is sounding better all the time, especially if there is a good chance I'm going to end up painting the stripes myself. Oh Ford, why couldn't you leave a good thing alone?? :headscratch:

Just got a Mac and am trying to figure out how to re-adjust the size of a file. This is my last try until I have more help! Sorry for the bandwidth ADM! denohew

That's interesting, My "Vehicle Order Confirmation" shows both Invoice and MSRP pricing for base and options. I wonder if the dealer can control the printout?

I am glad you can read it and I have NO idea what the dealer can do? $55,705 sticker is all I know. But you can clearly see that you can get stripe delete with the SVT Pkg.. That question has been asked a few times here. denohew

Yes I can read it clearly. I know you can get "Stripe Delete" with the SVT because there are footnotes about it on the Order Guide. I just don't remember what the notes said and I don't have the Order Guide with me now. My Vert with SVT and Electronics Packages has a MSRP of $60 k and invoice of $55 k.

Thanks for the info. And I really like your Orange Vert.. I have a 2010 Kona/Silver with 1,000 miles on it in my garage. I love it but with the block change and the fact that I fell in love with the " Superman " color I decided to order a 2011. The stripes Ford uses are far from perfect. Those stickers they use will definitely need replacing over time. Mine are far from perfect, but this is not a Super car, not a Lambo or a Ferrari. It is a Super Mustang! I can live with it! Try buying a car with this many HP'S for the money? Can't be done and it is a blast to drive, denohew

Archived