TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Revealed

FordGeek

Those stripes and wheels are awful.... Just my opinion.

+1

I've owned a graphic design firm for 26 years. Stripe size is wrong! Wheels too busy.

Glad I have the 2010 for these two reasons alone!

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you bring up a very good point concerning the 2011 GT500 Aluminum block http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=10443 and what we need to be concerned about. We know the GT500 5.4L is a performance engine that runs hot and is subject to operational demand stresses that aren't imposed on garden variety motors. Even Ford engineering is aware of this and has provided funding for technical analysis of the related fatigue properties found in aluminum A-356-T6 alloys http://www.icf11.com...tended/4421.pdf . Note in particular the Introdution on page 1 and the Conclusions found on page 6.

I'm sticking with the known reliability of the workhorse 5.4L iron block until some history is established on this application of the aluminum engine in the GT500. I bought my Shelby to drive and enjoy, not to volunteer as a guinea pig for warranty work. Just sayin...

If you look back in the past 10 years how many performance cars have iron blocks? Without going through every car i can only name two, 03-04 cobra and GT500. The Fort GT's aren't having problems with huge numbers. What about all the LSx motors? I see the rods and pistons being a problem way before the block.

I'm sooooo glad I got my 2010.

I was worried before I watched this video that I should have waited since I bought my 2010 late last year. i agree with others about the narrow stripes and wheels... the stripes are too narrow...wheels, they are ok but I think the 2010's look better.

I like the music in the video.. :dance:

M.

I was worried before I watched this video that I should have waited since I bought my 2010 late last year. i agree with others about the narrow stripes and wheels... the stripes are too narrow...wheels, they are ok but I think the 2010's look better.

I like the music in the video.. :dance:

M.

i guess i just might pick up a 2010 that is still sitting around .....

Agree with the stripes. Maybe if it was a single solid one. I believe that this is for the SVT package only. The regular one will look just like the 2010.

The rims are OK and I too wonder about the durability of the AL block.

I'm glad I got the 2010. Especially because the 2011 is more $$$ for basically the same car.

Cant wait to see the performance data on the 2011 with the SVT package.

I watched the video another 10 times or so and the wheels seem too narrow IMO and not sold on the finish of them. I feel that design would look better polished rather than painted.

The ride height def does not look any lower than the 2010s, so Id say the SVT Package does not include the FR3 handling kit

I am dissapointed.

373 gears are about the only thing I am 100% sold on so far

Told you, Chuck. That SVT package is finaicial theft for what you get. I agree; ride height seems the same, thats why I passed on ordering it. My bet is the ride will be stiffer, albeit, handle better for those who are doing track time, but for the average Joe, its going to degrade the ride quality and that will get old soon. The stripes don't look that great and I certainly don't see what everyone sees in the wheel. They are so similar to the stock 07 wheel that its silly. Really love the new design of the 2010 wheel. Looks like the SVT rep. I spoke with was right in predicating we'd see the 2011 at the Chicago show. Come on next week!

I'm sticking with the known reliability of the workhorse 5.4L iron block until some history is established on this application of the aluminum engine in the GT500. I bought my Shelby to drive and enjoy, not to volunteer as a guinea pig for warranty work. Just sayin...

I think the guinea pig work was taken care of long ago. Aluminum alloys have proven themselves successfully in a plethora of motorsports activities. Indy, F1, drag, off-shore marine, Baja, etc. I do however admit to those examples being highly monitored and not put through the same parameters as a 'street' engine block may be.

If you read up a bit on the use of aluminum for an engine block, it would seem that it isn't just the material used (in the case of the 5.4 wet-sump, 356-T6) but the quality of the casting, any other alloys used in the casting formulation, and whether it is sleeved or not. The sticking point in the casting with regard to durability is porosity. I can't find any technical articles that verify the quality of the Ford casting, but I'll go out on a limb and assume it to be rather high. Along with various types of computer modeling, I'll bet they have the casting very fine tuned. You are definitely on to something regarding crack propagation with regards to elevated temperatures and constant stress cycles.

An important feature of aluminium and its alloys (and other non - ferrous alloys) is that unlike ferrous alloys that exhibit a finite fatigue endurance strength, the fatigue strength aluminium alloys continues to fall with increasing stress cycles and this must be accounted for in design process. Prior to stress analysis the required number of stress cycles must be specified, for critical applications in automotive applications a figure of 109 may be used as a starting point (ref. A2). Experience may however permit the requirements to be more accurately defined. Porosity of cast components can have a significantly deleterious effect on the fatigue strength of aluminium castings and care must be taken to minimise the entrapment of gas during casting

http://www.tech.plym.ac.uk/sme/mech330/alcast1.htm

Interesting that Dart favors C355-T61 alloy over A356.

The C355 number refers to the specific elements contained in the alloy, and the T61 refers to the heat treatment used to condition the metal after it is cast to shape. Heat treating the aluminum improves its tensile strength and fatigue resistence; important factors in high performance engine components.

Our research has shown that the T61 condition is considerably superior to the more commonly used T6, so Dart has adopted the T61 heat treat exclusively for our blocks and heads.

http://www.dartheads.com/ftp/C355-T61%20Aluminum%20Alloy.htm

GM based tech, but related to the discussion here nonetheless. It would seem that at extreme power levels, the iron block shows favor for a street based engine.

http://www.frostbiteimages.com/Hot%20Rods/+%20Tech%20+/LS1%20block%20basics.pdf

I still say I'd get the SVT Package. People though Corvette split window coupes were inferior. Hemi Cudas where reviewed as not being worth the money over the 440. The Boss 429 was poorly reviewed by most. I know this package isn't nearly as big as those examples, but it is my train of thought. Sure the value may not be great (Hemi vs. 440), or maybe you can't see out as good (Split Window Vette, versus non-split window), but the fact that it is the highest spec. version, typically bodes well for desireability and value in the future.

I guess the fact that most everybody on here doesn't like it, means it actually will have a low production volume, which will keep the 2011 SVT Package cars as a pretty rare site, and probably keep their desireability factor higher, too, as time goes on.

[/

I agree with your analogy, but geeez! Most of us are not buying this car for its future (20 plus years) possible increase in value. I'd bet the package is MUCH stiffer than stock and compared to the already stiff stock suspension, I've opted not to take it. I ordered a stock vehicle.

The 2010 reminds me of what happened to the 1995 Cobra. It was the last of the 5.0 liter engines and the aftermarket pretty much ignored the 95 because of such low volume.

I hope we don't see the 2010 ignored in the same manner as the market shifts to the new powertrain.

The 2010 reminds me of what happened to the 1995 Cobra. It was the last of the 5.0 liter engines and the aftermarket pretty much ignored the 95 because of such low volume.

I hope we don't see the 2010 ignored in the same manner as the market shifts to the new powertrain.

The only difference is the block, why would it be ignored? The 2007-10 engines are identical sans the muffler and "ram air" system and some tuning. Get a JLT and a tune and you have the same thing?

Roger

I don't think changing the block from iron to aluminum is anything compared to 95 vs 96 cobra. 5.0 ohv vs 4.6 dohc. Next there were and still are more aftermarket parts for a 95 cobra than a 96. I'd say there is even more aftermarket parts for 2010 Shelby than a 96 cobra. If you want to talk about a 96 GT then you are even more crazy. The 96-98 Gt were probably the worse years ever for a V8 mustang. I have no idea where you are coming from or what you are talking about.

For 2011, I'm on the lookout to see if Ford:

- optimized/changed camshafts

- switched from a cast iron exhaust manifold to a tubular design, ala the Coyote

- altered the blower in any way

- changed the clutch yet again

- strengthened the 8.8" rear, including the use of a ribbed, cast aluminum cover

I'm crossing my fingers and hoping they finally use a Carillo or Manley billet steel H-beam rod. I know that powdered forgings have come a long way, including their use within '07-'10 blown 5.4 engines. I still want to see Ford nut up and put a top notch rod in this engine. The last blown, aluminum engine Ford used had them, and that engine was only rated at 550 hp...

Autoblog also has a write up: http://www.autoblog.com/2010/02/05/sneak-peek-2011-ford-shelby-gt500-w-svt-performance-package/

Like a lot of the other comments, don't like the stripes or the wheels. My 2010 looks better. Wouldn't want a '11 for just an extra 10hp. Also strange that if you don't get the SVT Package you don't get the Gurney Flap.

Autoblog also has a write up: http://www.autoblog....rmance-package/

Like a lot of the other comments, don't like the stripes or the wheels. My 2010 looks better. Wouldn't want a '11 for just an extra 10hp. Also strange that if you don't get the SVT Package you don't get the Gurney Flap.

The Shelby in these pics has the SVT PP. My understanding is that the car without the SVT PP will look just like the 2010's. Time will tell.

i see my friend in Dearborn was right he said think super-snake with a break in the middle.

Doesn't bother me, i still like the overall pkg and i do like the wheels, nothing a heat gun cant fix on the top stripes :) the sides look better solid.

We all bitched about the Gt350 and then guys that saw it said it looked awesome. I'll reserve judgement when i am driving one :)

I like the color but that's about it, i am glad i have my 08 red KR. I still think the 07-09 Shelby's are the best looking Shelby's made. It seems they change the looks to get the" i got to have it "crowd . They are slowly messing up a great design. I hope they fixed the glass roof head liner, cause it's a bitch to move back and forth .

Ok 2010 guys/gals, now it is our turn to do some "friendly" bashing.

1. My what little stripes you have. :hysterical:

2. No on the wheels for me. I have a slight case of OCD, and with the '11 wheel it looks almost impossible to get in and clean the inside with out haveing to take it off.

3. Glass roof? Here in Atlanta that would kill you in the summer, even with a shade to "close" it off. And I don't even want to think about getting caught in one of our famous "pop up" thunderstorms that like to drop large hail bombs. :cry:

What about the stripe on the seats? Are they the same as the '10?

Be sure to click on "Test Your System"

http://www.fordmedialive.com/shelby/index.php

Did anyone capture the video because all I'm getting is some soft music with vids of trees and leaves.

I literal 'test'.

EDIT: Never mind, I found it. If anyone else has the same problem click on the "Supplemental Test Video" line at the bottom left of the text box. That brings up the GT500 vid.

TIA,

Phill

Also, if a little weight saved from the aluminum block is so important to you, then save some money and shed a few lbs. yourself.

Ok 2010 guys/gals, now it is our turn to do some "friendly" bashing.

1. My what little stripes you have. :hysterical:

2. No on the wheels for me. I have a slight case of OCD, and with the '11 wheel it looks almost impossible to get in and clean the inside with out haveing to take it off.

3. Glass roof? Here in Atlanta that would kill you in the summer, even with a shade to "close" it off. And I don't even want to think about getting caught in one of our famous "pop up" thunderstorms that like to drop large hail bombs. :cry:

What about the stripe on the seats? Are they the same as the '10?

I just saw the other post indicating the 2011 engine will have 550 HP. Combine that with approximately 130 lbs off the nose with aluminum block and new light-weight electric steering, and my guess is this car will be considerably quicker and more responsive then its predessors. I ordered my 2011 last week and opted out of the SVT package. After seeing the sneak video, I'm glad I did. Wheels are "old hat" design and I'm not crazy about the more narrow LeMans stripe. I think I will be very happy with my white w/grabber blue stripes. AAAHH, the waiting begins!!

I just saw the other post indicating the 2011 engine will have 550 HP. Combine that with approximately 130 lbs off the nose with aluminum block and new light-weight electric steering, and my guess is this car will be considerably quicker and more responsive then its predessors. I ordered my 2011 last week and opted out of the SVT package. After seeing the sneak video, I'm glad I did. Wheels are "old hat" design and I'm not crazy about the more narrow LeMans stripe. I think I will be very happy with my white w/grabber blue stripes. AAAHH, the waiting begins!!

Depending on your definition of "considerable", assuming Ford is using the same POS Goodyear F1's, I imagine .2 in the 1/4 and .1 to 60 faster.

"There's more to tell, but unfortunately, we're sworn to secrecy until 1:30 sharp on Monday. What we will say is this: The Mustang V6 and GT aren't the only ponys in the stable that get better for 2011. As good - great, even - as the 2010 Shelby GT500 is, the 2011 improves on the formula. Stay tuned for some pretty hot stuff on Monday."

What are they referring to? The suspension? We all already know about that. Could it be an IRS? Does anyone think it's going to be announced that the the GT500 name plate is going into its final year?

See my post above...

People are getting caught up with the look of the stripes, or the wheels, but know nothing about the content - save for the lighter components and ten hp. The devil lies in the details, and I have a feeling this car will be using some much improved mechanical hardware.

I have to see the SVT package up close. But as of the pics I do not like the stripes and the wheels look like hub caps, but that just my opinion. But I would love to get factory installed 3.73's and the highest factory perfomance package offered on the gt500's.

But I also need to see what the restricted SVT color combos look like on the car.

Archived