TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT500 Revealed

FordGeek

Hey guys,

I received an e-mail from Ford Racing earlier today advising of the 2011 GT500 reveal scheduled for Feb. 8 prior to the Chicago auto show. The link took me to a Ford site where I could "test" my connectivity. Well, guess what. The test video is of the 2011 GT500!!! Pretty cool stuff!!!! The link below should hopefully work for all. I must say, it's not quite what I imagined, and I'm not AT ALL a fan of the tiny little striped gracing the top of the car. But, overall a bold step forward for our favorite car. Enjoy!

Be sure to click on "Test Your System"

http://www.fordmedialive.com/shelby/index.php

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thank you for posting. The stripes look way too small. The car is designed muscular and broad it needs the broader stripes to balance the car. It looks disproportionate. It looks like a golds gym body builder in a thong. Stripe delete if I order a 2011.... Never thought I would say that :( .... Btw did you notice it has the glass roof?

Roger

interesting, these are the stripes of the svt package correct. The non svt will still have the original stripes one would assume.

Wheels are not offensive, kind of give the car a modern look.................still will wait for the reveal. Is there a time specified for the webcast or presentation?

I watched the video another 10 times or so and the wheels seem too narrow IMO and not sold on the finish of them. I feel that design would look better polished rather than painted.

The ride height def does not look any lower than the 2010s, so Id say the SVT Package does not include the FR3 handling kit

I am dissapointed.

373 gears are about the only thing I am 100% sold on so far

Woahhhhh.....

So my wife was right about the accent stripe on the edge of the white. However, I'm dumbfounded about the narrow white stripes. I don't like those at all to be honest. The car definitely looks like it sits lower with the SVT pkg. I won't be adding the SVT pkg now though. Not a huge fan of the rims, but they could grow on me. The stripes definitely won't though. Besides I bet the regular suspension will be plenty stiff for me and these extremely bad Minnesota roads.

Please tell me the standard pkg gets the regular stripes.

the solid side stripes look weird to me. you can see a thin black stripe on the edge of it also. i hate spoked wheels like that. definitely seems to have the same stance. i am not a huge fan of stripes on vehicles anyway and those narrow ones are very out of place looking. i wonder if the interior has been changed at all (different stripes on the seats i mean)

I watched the video another 10 times or so and the wheels seem too narrow IMO and not sold on the finish of them. I feel that design would look better polished rather than painted.

The ride height def does not look any lower than the 2010s, so Id say the SVT Package does not include the FR3 handling kit

I am dissapointed.

373 gears are about the only thing I am 100% sold on so far

Are we all retarded if we don't get the SVT package now?

Those stripes are way too small. They looks like what Roush was doing on the 05-09. The wheels aren't very nice looking either.

I still say I'd get the SVT Package. People though Corvette split window coupes were inferior. Hemi Cudas where reviewed as not being worth the money over the 440. The Boss 429 was poorly reviewed by most. I know this package isn't nearly as big as those examples, but it is my train of thought. Sure the value may not be great (Hemi vs. 440), or maybe you can't see out as good (Split Window Vette, versus non-split window), but the fact that it is the highest spec. version, typically bodes well for desireability and value in the future.

I guess the fact that most everybody on here doesn't like it, means it actually will have a low production volume, which will keep the 2011 SVT Package cars as a pretty rare site, and probably keep their desireability factor higher, too, as time goes on.

I still say I'd get the SVT Package. People though Corvette split window coupes were inferior. Hemi Cudas where reviewed as not being worth the money over the 440. The Boss 429 was poorly reviewed by most. I know this package isn't nearly as big as those examples, but it is my train of thought. Sure the value may not be great (Hemi vs. 440), or maybe you can't see out as good (Split Window Vette, versus non-split window), but the fact that it is the highest spec. version, typically bodes well for desireability and value in the future.

I guess the fact that most everybody on here doesn't like it, means it actually will have a low production volume, which will keep the 2011 SVT Package cars as a pretty rare site, and probably keep their desireability factor higher, too, as time goes on.

These cars aren't going to be selling at auction like the original GT500s do. Heck we'll be lucky if we can even buy gas for them in 30 years. Anyone buying one of these cars as an investment is foolish.

Yea, I hate the narrow stripes! Makes it look like someone put their own stirpes on a regular GT?? I don't know. The rims are not that bad, but I would have to say the 10 are nicer.

Hows does everyone feel about the alum block? I still have my doubts. I mean it's great if you want to keep it stock, but what if you want to increase the boost with a different supercharger in the future, I don't know how the alum block would hold up? I'm a little weary just because I blew my orginal engine on my 01 Cobra here in the hot Az summer time. I know the compression was much higher back then but I also know it had something to do with the softer alum block too. I know the 2010 weighs more, but I plan on getting at least a TVS alone with the FR3 in a few years. Does anyone else have their doubts about the alum block holding up during higher boost or is it the same engine with the Ford GT and can hold up to higher boost??

Hows does everyone feel about the alum block? I still have my doubts. I mean it's great if you want to keep it stock, but what if you want to increase the boost with a different supercharger in the future, I don't know how the alum block would hold up? I'm a little weary just because I blew my orginal engine on my 01 Cobra here in the hot Az summer time. I know the compression was much higher back then but I also know it had something to do with the softer alum block too. I know the 2010 weighs more, but I plan on getting at least a TVS alone with the FR3 in a few years. Does anyone else have their doubts about the alum block holding up during higher boost or is it the same engine with the Ford GT and can hold up to higher boost??

I think you bring up a very good point concerning the 2011 GT500 Aluminum block http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=10443 and what we need to be concerned about. We know the GT500 5.4L is a performance engine that runs hot and is subject to operational demand stresses that aren't imposed on garden variety motors. Even Ford engineering is aware of this and has provided funding for technical analysis of the related fatigue properties found in aluminum A-356-T6 alloys http://www.icf11.com...tended/4421.pdf . Note in particular the Introdution on page 1 and the Conclusions found on page 6.

I'm sticking with the known reliability of the workhorse 5.4L iron block until some history is established on this application of the aluminum engine in the GT500. I bought my Shelby to drive and enjoy, not to volunteer as a guinea pig for warranty work. Just sayin...

Archived