TEAM SHELBY FORUM

My opinion? Bad form SAI - locking the "bad plugs" topic...

BoneDoc

Roger you closed the "spark plug" thread after replying to Lee Novikov (an SS owner and Shelby customer) with the following:

"We are sorry to hear you are unhappy. While you may not have had a pleasant experience, the best way to provide suggestions and improve customer service is to contact us directly so we can deal with the issue. I am reachable 24/7. You have my number. I believe I have responded to every concern you may brought to my attention during my time here and would welcome a phone call to resolve any issues you may still have that we have not resolved. We are glad you are enjoying your Super Snake.

Roger "

While I agree that taking care of INDIVIDUAL issues is best done one-on-one... the problem is that the plug issue is a SYSTEM ISSUE. POOR QUALITY CONTROL on SAI part is to blame... not Lee or anyone who brought this up. if not for this thread -that you locked- NONE OF US WOULD KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM BECAUSE SAI HAS NOT MADE ANYONE AWARE! You should be ashamed of how you treat those of us who forked out for this car. this is what i call BITING THE HANDS THAT FEED YOU, friend. you should concentrate more on QC issues at SAI and this would be a non-topic. Lee has spent much of his time on this site trying to teach us all how to FIX THE INADEQUATE REAR WHEEL ISSUE THAT SAI HAS YET TO ACKNOWLEDGE OR ADDRESS... so maybe you could give him a break!

Here's a crazy idea: How about an acknowledgement from SAI that this has apparently happened several times. maybe....just maybe... an apology?! and then a recommended course of action? Your paternalistic approach will not help SAI maintain its loyal base of customers. You make little effort on your website to discuss or explain issues that are of concern to those of us who ACTUALLY BOUGHT your vehicles! unbelievable.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Roger is a stand up guy.

Just because the post is locked does not mean it is not viewable for reading.

Roger didnt delete the post.

Sometimes people get caught up on piling on. This is not the purpose of the Shelby forum.

If you dont like Walmart dont shop there. If you dont like your SS and/or SAI, then sell your car and go buy a Dodge. oh and dont renew your Shelby membership either.

The spark plug issue is a problem. Change them out and move on. Problem solved. Nothing is perfect. There will always be something bigger and better.

I really hate cry babies .... blah blah blah. GROW UP. :baby:

Roger is a stand up guy.

Just because the post is locked does not mean it is not viewable for reading.

Roger didnt delete the post.

Sometimes people get caught up on piling on. This is not the purpose of the Shelby forum.

If you dont like Walmart dont shop there. If you dont like your SS and/or SAI, then sell your car and go buy a Dodge. oh and dont renew your Shelby membership either.

The spark plug issue is a problem. Change them out and move on. Problem solved. Nothing is perfect. There will always be something bigger and better.

I really hate cry babies .... blah blah blah. GROW UP. :baby:

Ummm...

While I admire loyalty and defending people you have a connection with, I don't think this is called for. You just ended up sounding like the first guy, but on the opposite side of the fence.

If he feels slighted, then it is good that he speaks up. It helps everyone improve. If he does not deliver his message clearly then it is his fault it does not get heard (or in this case read). Better for negative things to be aired here in a forum dedicated to people loyal to the brand already, than to have it play out where it really matters financially, in the public eye. Because, if people are willing to take the time to write about it here, then they are more than willing to state their feelings to anyone else in the world around them.

In customer service, for every one person that speaks up about something they are not happy with there are around 10 others who did not and just turned around and stopped buying/ supporting a company, and the only people who know are their friends and family. These people in turn get one impression and decide to follow suit. Making it not just one one person leaving the fold but multiples of people around each of these people. this does effect the bottom dollar of the company. It just happens in ways that keep tha company from being able to do anything about it.

From a company standpoint the job is fairly simple. Listen and acknwledge the person and their issue(s). Offer to try and find a resolution. Actually work to see if a resolution can be found, and sometimes there is not an easy solution, and sometimes making someone happy is not possible at all, but people need to know that the company is at least trying to make itself better.

The truth is that if the SAI and/ or the mod shop had just had this simple convrsation below it might not have even gotten to this point. All that needed to be said was...

"Mr. X, we are very sorry to hear about your issue. We would like to see if there is a way we can help you resolve it. Here is our contact information. Please feel free in contacting us at your earliest convenience so that we can discuss your issues further. We look forward to working with you on this to find a satifactory resolution."

Really, how hard is that. I'm not saying that SAI is bad. I honestly don't know. Most of my interactions with my car have been with Ford and SVT. (sometimes good and sometimes bad) I am just saying that anyone that has a product/ service should have this type of system in place, and everyone knows that blame shifting and/ or ignoring issues just makes people even more mad. It is so much easier to listen and offer help, even though you know you can never satisfy everyone.

I would go on but; honestly, I'm tired of typing.

Roger you closed the "spark plug" thread after replying to Lee Novikov (an SS owner and Shelby customer) with the following:

"We are sorry to hear you are unhappy. While you may not have had a pleasant experience, the best way to provide suggestions and improve customer service is to contact us directly so we can deal with the issue. I am reachable 24/7. You have my number. I believe I have responded to every concern you may brought to my attention during my time here and would welcome a phone call to resolve any issues you may still have that we have not resolved. We are glad you are enjoying your Super Snake.

Roger "

While I agree that taking care of INDIVIDUAL issues is best done one-on-one... the problem is that the plug issue is a SYSTEM ISSUE. POOR QUALITY CONTROL on SAI part is to blame... not Lee or anyone who brought this up. if not for this thread -that you locked- NONE OF US WOULD KNOW ABOUT THE PROBLEM BECAUSE SAI HAS NOT MADE ANYONE AWARE! You should be ashamed of how you treat those of us who forked out for this car. this is what i call BITING THE HANDS THAT FEED YOU, friend. you should concentrate more on QC issues at SAI and this would be a non-topic. Lee has spent much of his time on this site trying to teach us all how to FIX THE INADEQUATE REAR WHEEL ISSUE THAT SAI HAS YET TO ACKNOWLEDGE OR ADDRESS... so maybe you could give him a break!

Here's a crazy idea: How about an acknowledgement from SAI that this has apparently happened several times. maybe....just maybe... an apology?! and then a recommended course of action? Your paternalistic approach will not help SAI maintain its loyal base of customers. You make little effort on your website to discuss or explain issues that are of concern to those of us who ACTUALLY BOUGHT your vehicles! unbelievable.

I will openly admit and I have posted a few times that my build experience with SAI had some serious customer service issues. They were to the point were I was a little bitter so I am definitly not a guy that thinks SAI can do no wrong. But I was actually encouraged by Rogers responce to my post yesturday so I picked up the phone and called him. We talked about all the issues I had during my build and he never made any excuses for them, but acknowledged them and told me what they have done to remedy them now and for future builds. Quite a few changes! After talking to Rodger, I truely believe they are changing things (especially from a customer service standpoint). I actually plan to take a trip up to SAI to check out the new GT350. Might even find one sitting next to my SS in the near future! Might turn out to be a very expensive call.

I think this thread has changed coarse. It started by a Revin Racing informing guys that were highly modding there SS's to check the pulgs. Hats off to him for making people aware that with different fuels from stock and different boost levels from stock the plugs need to be addressed. It somehow turned into "its a ticking time bomb and SAI does not care". If you are modding your car then I think its important that the stock plugs be changed. If your car is a stock SS I personally do not think its much of an issue. I changed mine way before the post came out because my tuner told me too with of all the mods I did. I have a set for street and a colder set (with a different gap as well) for high boost and race gas at the track. I feel confident after talking to Rodger that SAI is taking steps to address this issue with its past owners even though in stock SS form there is little if any risk from these plugs.

I will openly admit and I have posted a few times that my build experience with SAI had some serious customer service issues. They were to the point were I was a little bitter so I am definitly not a guy that thinks SAI can do no wrong. But I was actually encouraged by Rogers responce to my post yesturday so I picked up the phone and called him. We talked about all the issues I had during my build and he never made any excuses for them, but acknowledged them and told me what they have done to remedy them now and for future builds. Quite a few changes! After talking to Rodger, I truely believe they are changing things (especially from a customer service standpoint). I actually plan to take a trip up to SAI to check out the new GT350. Might even find one sitting next to my SS in the near future! Might turn out to be a very expensive call.

I think this thread has changed coarse. It started by a Revin Racing informing guys that were highly modding there SS's to check the pulgs. Hats off to him for making people aware that with different fuels from stock and different boost levels from stock the plugs need to be addressed. It somehow turned into "its a ticking time bomb and SAI does not care". If you are modding your car then I think its important that the stock plugs be changed. If your car is a stock SS I personally do not think its much of an issue. I changed mine way before the post came out because my tuner told me too with of all the mods I did. I have a set for street and a colder set (with a different gap as well) for high boost and race gas at the track. I feel confident after talking to Rodger that SAI is taking steps to address this issue with its past owners even though in stock SS form there is little if any risk from these plugs.

Well said Lee.

The well intended thread from Revan Racing has been blown way out of proportion. Maybe we all should step back and give SA a chance. If you have an issue, give Roger a call. Believe me, he will listen.

and why did I post on the previous thread (as asked by Roger while locking it)? because I am a potential customer for an SS package and was concerned about all of the quality and customer service issues that are frequently mentioned...and I posted my feelings about the rushed and incomplete response from Amy concerning the plug issue...although I love my GT500- I will mod it on my own...

This in definitely not the forum to discuss your post but please read it again. I do not believe we missed anything here. It was a cheap shot at Amy not being grammatically correct and your attempt to correlating this to customer service. Not a productive way to get your point across. You can call us with a potential concern you had and it could have turned out to be a productive conversation and answered your concern.

You can call us anytime with any concern you may have. 702-942-7325 my extension is 145

Or call me direct 702-324-1147

Roger

Lee,

Great speaking with your yesterday. I am glad we had the opportunity. Thank you for your support. We are making progress one day at a time.

Thanks again Lee.

Roger

ok guys now that the post has been locked out can someone repost the tec info so i can get right plugs in my car thanks

Not an SS owner but this topic is interesting. It seems pretty apparent this is not a widespread issue as evidenced by the many SS owners who posted that they have the colder plugs. For me, the post by SAI to contact them with your specific issue is appropriate given this does not appear to be a widespread problem. I understand the frustration but it seems like they're taking the appropriate course to deal with individuals directly who have the problem and to get the information they need to remedy the situation. Nobody's perfect, and the way one chooses to correct a mistake is what's important. Let them correct it by following their established path to a remedy. Enjoy those SS's!

Roger is a stand up guy.

This would be an understatement!!! I've personally known Roger 3+ years, long before he was employed by Shelby. That's not a long time, but long enough to know that Roger is honest, caring and a great listener. His integrity is impeccable. He is an asset to the company and a spoke person for us Shelby owners. He truly has a passion for these vehicles.

I'd do anything for him in a Rhode Island minute. LOL OK, OK it would probably take 3 or 4 hours. But that's how I feel about him and he truly is a great friend. I know him on a very personal level.

I think the problem with these threads getting out of control is, someone has a legit question and it's not answered immediately. Some Shelby owners feel that have some sort of entitlement because they spent money with Shelby. Big Deal....get in line, there's lots of us. If you're smart enough to be able to purchase an SS or whatever model of your choice, perhaps you could send a pm to Amy, Roger, Bud or whoever and state your issues or concerns. They are busy people, but within a day or two they will get back to you. People don't get their questions answered in a thread, because maybe they didn't see or read the thread, so then begins the bash Shelby. What kind of company is this, what kind of customer service is this???????????BLAH, BLAH, BLAH A lot of people jump in these threads and don't even have a dog in the fight. Which only adds fuel to the fire and threats that this kind of service is why they don't have Shelby work on their car. Yea right, whatever. Then why post in these threads?

+1 Dave, great post. I can vouch for Roger as well, he has listened to me vent on more than a few occasions. He is a great asset and friend.

If folks knew of all the many things Roger does for us and the brand everyday, they would be amazed.

Chris

I have dealt directly with Bud since the beginning 1.5+ years ago, sometimes by phone, sometimes by email. He has addressed all of my concerns and questions in a timely manner. The correct TR6 plugs were installed in my 725 at the SAI Mod Shop.

R

I have dealt directly with Bud since the beginning 1.5+ years ago, sometimes by phone, sometimes by email. He has addressed all of my concerns and questions in a timely manner. The correct TR6 plugs were installed in my 725 at the SAI Mod Shop.

R

+1

Thanks to everybody for their comments. I have no doubt but that Roger is a stand-up guy. Now that I have had a chance to cool off i do think my language was a bit strong. But i stand by my message. If Ford puts out a car and there is a potential issue with that vehicle, then the customers are notified and advised how to remedy. It does not require each of us to call the head of SVT and get his personal advice. I'm sure Roger or Bud or any of those guys would give the shirts off their back for us individually but SAI as a company needs to be proactive on this.

Many folks who bought SS are like me. a full time job doing something other than racing and take the cars out and drive the piss out of them at the strip on the weekends. I have slightly modded my SS (3" pulley and Lund tune). If not for the thread posted about the plugs i would not have had a clue and could have blown my engine with those mods and the hotter plugs. thats a fact.

I am not in sales but I see patients every day in my office and so i know something about cutomer service. Here is what I would expect from a company like Shelby when a potential issue comes up. This should be posted in a public forum and letters sent to SS customers. Here goes:

"First of all we at SAI would like to thank you all for purchasing the 725 HP Shelby GT500 Supersnake. We hope you are enjoying your purchase and appreciate your loyalty. We are writing to inform all SS owners that we have received a few reports of SS that did not have the correct (colder) spark plug installed upon conversion at our mod shops. This spark plug swap is a recommendation of Kenne Bell when upgrading to their 2.9 liter supercharger to prevent pre-detonation in higher performance vehicles.

For most of you this will not be an issue but for those who further modify you Supersnake it could be.

We strongly recommend that you check your sparkplugs to ensure that they are NGK TR6 Plugs gapped at .035". Attached is a PDF explaining the steps of how to correctly check your plugs. If you are uncomfortable checking your spark plugs please call us and we will arrange to hae a local shop of your choice check the spark plugs for you.

If you discover that the installed plugs are incorrect, please contact SAI and we will ship replacements to you immediately for installation. Again, you will have to option to install yourself or we will arrange for a local shop to exchange the plugs for you. We do not recommend high-performance driving until the correct plugs have been verified.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you understanding in this matter. Please contact SAI at any time if you have further questions regarding this recommendation. Enjoy your Supersnake! "

This in my opinion is the right thing to do. it is not alarmist or unreasonable. please someone tell me why i am wrong to expect such a statement once a potential issue has been identified?

I disagree with is your statement about Ford notifying it's customers about problems with the cars. Ford never notified anyone about the bad clutches, trannys, and flywheels or any of the other problems that they have found on our cars.....except the airbag module needing an update and the valvestems that *might* crack because of bad China rubber.

Thanks to everybody for their comments. I have no doubt but that Roger is a stand-up guy. Now that I have had a chance to cool off i do think my language was a bit strong. But i stand by my message. If Ford puts out a car and there is a potential issue with that vehicle, then the customers are notified and advised how to remedy. It does not require each of us to call the head of SVT and get his personal advice. I'm sure Roger or Bud or any of those guys would give the shirts off their back for us individually but SAI as a company needs to be proactive on this.

Many folks who bought SS are like me. a full time job doing something other than racing and take the cars out and drive the piss out of them at the strip on the weekends. I have slightly modded my SS (3" pulley and Lund tune). If not for the thread posted about the plugs i would not have had a clue and could have blown my engine with those mods and the hotter plugs. thats a fact.

I am not in sales but I see patients every day in my office and so i know something about cutomer service. Here is what I would expect from a company like Shelby when a potential issue comes up. This should be posted in a public forum and letters sent to SS customers. Here goes:

"First of all we at SAI would like to thank you all for purchasing the 725 HP Shelby GT500 Supersnake. We hope you are enjoying your purchase and appreciate your loyalty. We are writing to inform all SS owners that we have received a few reports of SS that did not have the correct (colder) spark plug installed upon conversion at our mod shops. This spark plug swap is a recommendation of Kenne Bell when upgrading to their 2.9 liter supercharger to prevent pre-detonation in higher performance vehicles.

For most of you this will not be an issue but for those who further modify you Supersnake it could be.

We strongly recommend that you check your sparkplugs to ensure that they are NGK TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped at .035". Attached is a PDF explaining the steps of how to correctly check your plugs. If you are uncomfortable checking your spark plugs please call us and we will arrange to hae a local shop of your choice check the spark plugs for you.

If you discover that the installed plugs are incorrect, please contact SAI and we will ship replacements to you immediately for installation. Again, you will have to option to install yourself or we will arrange for a local shop to exchange the plugs for you. We do not recommend high-performance driving until the correct plugs have been verified.

We apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate you understanding in this matter. Please contact SAI at any time if you have further questions regarding this recommendation. Enjoy your Supersnake! "

This in my opinion is the right thing to do. it is not alarmist or unreasonable. please someone tell me why i am wrong to expect such a statement once a potential issue has been identified?

I see one item that needs to be clearified in the post above................."Iridium". The Iridiums were mentioned by Van, but are not what are required by KB. The Iridiums are a great upgrade plug, but the KB information/requirements are for the plain old NGK TR6's, not TR6 Iridiums. Plain old TR6 = $2ea., TR6 Iridiums = approx. $7ea. I have installed Iridiums and am very happy with them, but that was my choice, not the KB requirement. Plain old TR6 NGK's were installed in my 725 at SAI as per the KB recommendations. My only observation is that all 8 were gapped considerably tighter than .035, so I gapped the Iridiums to the .035 and installed them, no big deal. The car runs Great!!

R

A doctor talking about customer service? hysterical.gifhysterical.gifhysterical.gif

Did the guy who sold you the pulley and the tune tell you to check the issue?

If not did you complain about that?

Just change the dang plugs and spend the $60 and be done with it, I mean shoot, problem solved.

Your motor is fine life is good. You are driving a modified SS car, its not a pedestrian piece of hardware. Then you hot-rodded that. Racecars go bang all the time, you dealt with yours and no bang, you are good.

The issue with the spark plugs is NOT a SAI issue. This issue is on ALL Mustangs from Ford. I too had my plugs changed out when I had my Paxton added. There was one plug that broke off and my mech had a hard time getting the rest out of the plug hole.

Again, I am not a mech, but my mech put some anti locking fluid on the ne HT0 plugs, so when these needs to be replaced they should not be fused to the plug hole.

Please View Post #1

Click On Episode 26 This is a GREAT VIDEO...

Tom

:D

We strongly recommend that you check your sparkplugs to ensure that they are NGK TR6 Iridium Plugs gapped at .035". Attached is a PDF explaining the steps of how to correctly check your plugs. If you are uncomfortable checking your spark plugs please call us and we will arrange to hae a local shop of your choice check the spark plugs for you.

I think your proposed remedy is valid and reasonable should SAI find that there actually is an identifiable systemic issue. Personally, I don't think they've had enough time yet to determine if this is the right remedy. They may very well determine your proposed remedy is the right way to go after they explore the issue and get the feedback they need. I think the post by Roger to touch base with him directly about the issues is the correct first step so he can figure out what's going on with the issue and determine how widespread the issue is. Is it isolated enough to remedy the problem with individual customers? Maybe so? Finding the right remedy often takes a bit of time and requires patience. Our world of real time information makes that hard sometimes, but knee-jerk reactions by a company to issues have the potential to be inefficient, ineffective, incomplete, and ultimately bite a company in the a$$. Human error and mistakes are a reality of this world. IMO, the humble people who step up, acknowledge the mistake, and do what they can to rectify it is what's important. That seems to be the case here. That said, I can appreciate your frustration given the cost and expectations of the Super Snake package. Fortunately Van found what may very well be more of a needle in the haystack than anything else, and may have prevented bigger headaches for some SS owners and SAI. Sounds like a recipe for all's well that ends well. :)

I see one item that needs to be clearified in the post above................."Iridium". The Iridiums were mentioned by Van, but are not what are required by KB. The Iridiums are a great upgrade plug, but the KB information/requirements are for the plain old NGK TR6's, not TR6 Iridiums. Plain old TR6 = $2ea., TR6 Iridiums = approx. $7ea. I have installed Iridiums and am very happy with them, but that was my choice, not the KB requirement. Plain old TR6 NGK's were installed in my 725 at SAI as per the KB recommendations. My only observation is that all 8 were gapped considerably tighter than .035, so I gapped the Iridiums to the .035 and installed them, no big deal. The car runs Great!!

R

Grabber- I hear you. poor wording on my part. this is what Ford SHOULD have done.

Robert thanks i edited my original post to reflect

:D

I think your proposed remedy is valid and reasonable should SAI find that there actually is an identifiable systemic issue. Personally, I don't think they've had enough time yet to determine if this is the right remedy. They may very well determine your proposed remedy is the right way to go after they explore the issue and get the feedback they need. I think the post by Roger to touch base with him directly about the issues is the correct first step so he can figure out what's going on with the issue and determine how widespread the issue is. Is it isolated enough to remedy the problem with individual customers? Maybe so? Finding the right remedy often takes a bit of time and requires patience. Our world of real time information makes that hard sometimes, but knee-jerk reactions by a company to issues have the potential to be inefficient, ineffective, incomplete, and ultimately bite a company in the a$$. Human error and mistakes are a reality of this world. IMO, the humble people who step up, acknowledge the mistake, and do what they can to rectify it is what's important. That seems to be the case here. That said, I can appreciate your frustration given the cost and expectations of the Super Snake package. Fortunately Van found what may very well be more of a needle in the haystack than anything else, and may have prevented bigger headaches for some SS owners and SAI. Sounds like a recipe for all's well that ends well. :)

HOW CAN IT GET ANY CLEARED THAN THE WRONG SPARK PLUGS BEING INSTALLED. WHAT ON EARTH WOULD YOU NEED MORE TIME TO FIGURE OUT---READ THE PLUG IT'S EITHER THE RIGHT ONE OR THE WRONG ONE. THE FEED BACK APPROACH BEING SUGGESTED HERE SMACKS OF EXACTLY HOW TOYOTA HANDLED IT'S QUALITY CONTROL AND CUSTOMER SERVICE.

THIS IS NOT ABOUT ROGER OR SPARK PLUGS REALLY IT'S ABOUT THE 'NEXT ISSUE'. THE HANDLEING OF THIS ONE FORCES YOU TO ASSUME WE WILL NOT BE NOTIFIED. NOT NOTIFIED!

KENNE BELL FOUND OUT EARLIER THAT THE SCREWS ON THE BLOWER PULLEY NEEDED TO BE STRENGTHED AND THEY HANDLED IT IN A FIRST CLASS MANNER. I WAS NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND BY EMAIL AND WAS FED XED THE NEW PARTS OVER NIGHT WITH COMP;ETE INSTRCTIONS ON HOW TO INSTALL THE NEW ONES. THAT'S CUSTOMER SERVICE. THAT'S HOW IT SHOULD BE DONE. I DIDN'T HAVE TO CALL ONE ON ONE WITH THEM TO GET AN EXPLANATION--HELL I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW HAD A PROBLEM.

AS A COMPANY--EVEN SHELBY--YOU CAN ALWAYS WIN OR SNUFF OUT THE DAY TO DAY ISSUES OR BEAT INDIVIDUALS DOWN--USUALLY BY JUST IGNORING THEM BUT EVENTUALLY IT IS THE COMPANY LOSES AND LOSES BIG.

TOYOTA.

YOU KNOW IF I OPEN MY MAIL TODAY AND THERE WERE A SET OF PLUGS IN THERE AND A LETTER LIKE BONE DOC SUGGESTED I'D FEEL LIKE A MILLION BUCKS. I DON'T KNOW WHY SAI DOESN'T GET THAT.

BOB

If they formally admit the problem, that would open them up to liability. Could get expensive quick.

Yeah, ask Toyota about that. If you do something wrong NEVER admit to it. That opens you up to liability. Just keep pretending nothing is wrong and that will keep your expenses down and nobody will ever figure it out.

REALLY???

IF there is a problem with the plugs, do you really think that ignoring the issue will LOWER their liability? More people are likely to damage their engines creating MORE liability, not less.

This is the kind of thinking that is helping to make America a mediocre nation. What happened to the "golden rule"? I was tought that honesty is the best policy. Integrity has been my standard operating procedure and it has served me well for my entire life.

I only wish the rest of America followed this priciple.

Archived