TEAM SHELBY FORUM

So, 2011 SVT package is for Drag Racing?

FordGeek

This may have been addressed already, so my apologies if it has. But, after perusing the specs of the "SVT Package" for the 2011, it seems that it's aimed more toward quarter mile times, versus the all time favorite twisties. Is that everyone's assessment? Seems the "unique rear shocks", taller wheels in the back, and 3.73 gearing all are aimed toward this goal. Personally, I wish they had focused more on handling and overall performance versus simply straight line performance. But, it is American muscle and this is where it shines. :shift:

Kind Regards,

Joseph (FordGeek)

I dont think anyone knows for sure yet if it lowers the car, if it is more suited to track or drag..................my dealer called it track pack!!!!!!!! so we ordered the vert without it fearing it would make it too harsh riding................

we are all waiting for the cars to come out and have someone do a comparison.................there is so much we still dont know, and can only assume.

trust me

It will be fine for both, probably better for handling.

no body drags with 20s lol

SVT is all about overall all around performance, this is just 373 gears, the FR3 handling kit and some custom stripes and knob

and yes I think anyone who orders the new car without it is retarded.

trust me

SVT is all about overall all around performance, this is just 373 gears, the FR3 handling kit and some custom stripes and a knob

Question here:

Does the 67F (SVT Performance Package) include ALL of the elements of the FR3?

or

Are there differences between the 67F and FRPP FR3 package?

Thanks,

-Pockdog

trust me

SVT is all about overall all around performance, this is just 373 gears, the FR3 handling kit and some custom stripes and knob

and yes I t

hink anyone who orders the new car without it is retarded.

Chuck, Lighten up a little, buddy. I ordered my 2011 w/o the SVT package because I don't want my glutius maximus beaten into a plow share and I don't think its worth what Ford is exacting from us. Don't think that makes me retarded! Just thoughtful. I think I'll be perfectly satisfied with the stock set up that was so markedly improved over the 2007 through 2009s.

I don't think PP is worth it, especially since I think the rims are ugly and wouldn't want a 20" out back. That $3500 would be better spent.

+1, did not order it here either. I did not want the vert to twist and shout on every bump. The 19s on the 2011 vert will tighten things a bit.

I can add lowering springs or a 3.73 at my leisure later and probably for much less than 3500 bucks.

I don't think PP is worth it, especially since I think the rims are ugly and wouldn't want a 20" out back. That $3500 would be better spent.

I guess you could say "Its not worth it" if you intend to keeping it stock but If I bought a 2010 I know for sure I would add 3.73's, 18" or 20" rims for a good drag radial selection, FRPP suspension because the stock 2010 suspension looks like a 4wd. That all sold seperatly and installed would be well over $3,500 and then you's have to worry about your aftermarket 3.73's wining, and the dealer blaming your frpp suspension that you put on after the fact for any sort of suspension or noise complaint that you may have. NO THANKS

The 2011 w/ SVT should be good for easy 11's stock at the track

trust me

A little harsh don't you think? We don't even know what kind of difference the kit makes. I'd like to see someone gets their hands on the car first and test it.

In my opinion this comes down to what your expectations and intentions are for this car. If you are the type that will enjoy the stock GT500 for what it is (a blend of high performance with some luxury) then don't order the option and enjoy the stock GT500 which is still a great bang for the buck. On the other hand if you enjoy moding your car and enhancing the performance and suspension then I would pay the $3500 and let the factory do it for you. You cannot replicate the factory quality and engineering plus you have the warrenty to fall back on. I did mod my 07 GT500 (a lot) which one of the mods were 3:73's and what a headache. Three gear sets later and $1600 the gear sets whine to the point that I no longer enjoy the car. I have just ordered the complete rear axle assembly which will cost me another $1400 by the time I get installed...do the math that is $3,000 I have spent ....so would I rather have the factory do the mods.....you bet......again just my opinion.

I did mod my 07 GT500 (a lot) which one of the mods were 3:73's and what a headache. Three gear sets later and $1600 the gear sets whine to the point that I no longer enjoy the car.

Just curious, but who has been doing your gears for you?

I've built many many *many* diffs on many various makes and types of vehicles and I've never had a gear whine that I released to the customer. I did have one that whined on a road test but I took it back down and reset the lash *before* I gave the car to the customer but I've never had the final product whine.

There *is* a bit of an 'art' to building a good rear diff along with a fair amount of science. You also need a lot of knowledge and THE PROPPER TOOLS (for instance, a *good* dial indicator). You must also know how to use the tools and how to read a gear mesh pattern. A technician is only as good as his/her tools and a tool is only as good as the Tech using it.

A *good* in-lb capable torque wrench is required to set the pinion bearing pre-load with AND a Tech that knows how to set it.

Unfortunately all of the 'production' type Techs or 'line mechanics' I've seen in shops that build rear gears don't know WTF they're doing and quite frankly should never attempt to build or set-up a rear gear. But they do and that's just the nature of the business.

I was fortunate in that right from the beginning (from my apprenticeship program on) I never 'specialized' in any one particular area until much much later in my career. So I was versed in *every* aspect of auto repair, from bumper to bumper and road to rooftop. And that included building and rebuilding rear ends. That and the fact that I'm a freakin' *perfectionist* to the max, maybe even to a fault (i.e. I am *super* ANAL). So if the job was not *perfect*, it did not leave my stall. Period.

I specialized later on in my career mainly because of the challange presented by the Electronic Engine & Emission Control (driveability) systems. Specifically, EFI diagnosis and repair.

That was something the 'mechanical aspects' of Auto Repair could no longer offer me.

My suggestion to you is to find a *good* Tech to build your diff. Unfortunately, you probably won't find one at a factory dealership due to the high turnover and low education programs most dealerships face.

Find that Tech who has been at a shop for 10 years or more and that doesn't 'specialize' in one particular area unless his specialty is in Manual Transmission and/or rear diffs.

Hope you can find what you need,

Phill Pollard (35 years in the business)

Just curious, but who has been doing your gears for you?

I've built many many *many* diffs on many various makes and types of vehicles and I've never had a gear whine that I released to the customer. I did have one that whined on a road test but I took it back down and reset the lash *before* I gave the car to the customer but I've never had the final product whine.

There *is* a bit of an 'art' to building a good rear diff along with a fair amount of science. You also need a lot of knowledge and THE PROPPER TOOLS (for instance, a *good* dial indicator). You must also know how to use the tools and how to read a gear mesh pattern. A technician is only as good as his/her tools and a tool is only as good as the Tech using it.

A *good* in-lb capable torque wrench is required to set the pinion bearing pre-load with AND a Tech that knows how to set it.

Unfortunately all of the 'production' type Techs or 'line mechanics' I've seen in shops that build rear gears don't know WTF they're doing and quite frankly should never attempt to build or set-up a rear gear. But they do and that's just the nature of the business.

I was fortunate in that right from the beginning (from my apprenticeship program on) I never 'specialized' in any one particular area until much much later in my career. So I was versed in *every* aspect of auto repair, from bumper to bumper and road to rooftop. And that included building and rebuilding rear ends. That and the fact that I'm a freakin' *perfectionist* to the max, maybe even to a fault (i.e. I am *super* ANAL). So if the job was not *perfect*, it did not leave my stall. Period.

I specialized later on in my career mainly because of the challange presented by the Electronic Engine & Emission Control (driveability) systems. Specifically, EFI diagnosis and repair.

That was something the 'mechanical aspects' of Auto Repair could no longer offer me.

My suggestion to you is to find a *good* Tech to build your diff. Unfortunately, you probably won't find one at a factory dealership due to the high turnover and low education programs most dealerships face.

Find that Tech who has been at a shop for 10 years or more and that doesn't 'specialize' in one particular area unless his specialty is in Manual Transmission and/or rear diffs.

Hope you can find what you need,

Phill Pollard (35 years in the business)

Hey Phill,

ever think of moving to Houston? We could use a few perfectionists like you here.

Or, hey if you somehow know some, I would love to find out who they are.

Chuck, Lighten up a little, buddy. I ordered my 2011 w/o the SVT package because I don't want my glutius maximus beaten into a plow share and I don't think its worth what Ford is exacting from us. Don't think that makes me retarded! Just thoughtful. I think I'll be perfectly satisfied with the stock set up that was so markedly improved over the 2007 through 2009s.

:angry22:

Its yet to be seen what exactly its going to do it for the car will be interesting to see what it really does mean in performance changes.

I'm with Chuck though I'd get the performance package, I would not really care about different stripes or shift knob but the handling package would be a warranty covered mod in my opinion so I could live with $$ out of pocket. Because if people find out its great or game changing and really maxs the cars ability then the questions of how come its not included stock will start. If you polled most people here they have the FRRP kits or pieces installed its warranty friendly mods its like the best of both worlds. I know others have gone griggs or a differnet combo I can understand that to if you going to modify it go for exactly what you and make the car suit your taste don't worry with the warranty.

I have a feeling that it will be more than worth the $3500

A little birdy told me

ya know

My question is can I get it for my 2010 GT500 after the fact or does the change in weight play a big part in it's effectiveness? I'm guessing I'd be better off just getting the FR3 kit.

I guess you could say "Its not worth it" if you intend to keeping it stock but If I bought a 2010 I know for sure I would add 3.73's, 18" or 20" rims for a good drag radial selection, FRPP suspension because the stock 2010 suspension looks like a 4wd. That all sold seperatly and installed would be well over $3,500 and then you's have to worry about your aftermarket 3.73's wining, and the dealer blaming your frpp suspension that you put on after the fact for any sort of suspension or noise complaint that you may have. NO THANKS

The 2011 w/ SVT should be good for easy 11's stock at the track

Which do you want? Drag radials or FRPP suspension? An FRPP suspended car is not ideal for drag racing and you sure as heck don't want to go running the corners with drag radials as they will get you killed.

Gears, parts and labor installed: $500. Same gears as on car will be available for purchase.

FRPP KIT is a joke to install, any monkey can do it, there's $1300.

For drag, buy a pair of 07-09 GT500 18's if you want for $200.

It would be cheaper to do this without the performance pack. Most of the performance pack price is the rims and tires.

Unless Ford has addressed the traction issues which the gears make WORSE, no one is getting easy 11's in the STOCK car unless they are Evan Smith.

You cannot replicate the factory quality and engineering

This made me chuckle. I cold tell you some stories about Ford's factory quality after the ride I had with my car when I bought it. Loved my factory quality rear end with .023" of runout and CHIRP CHIRP CHIRP! Then the replacement axle had .020". I am on my 3rd right rear axle in my factory quality Mustang.

In my opinion this comes down to what your expectations and intentions are for this car. If you are the type that will enjoy the stock GT500 for what it is (a blend of high performance with some luxury) then don't order the option and enjoy the stock GT500 which is still a great bang for the buck. On the other hand if you enjoy moding your car and enhancing the performance and suspension then I would pay the $3500 and let the factory do it for you. You cannot replicate the factory quality and engineering plus you have the warrenty to fall back on. I did mod my 07 GT500 (a lot) which one of the mods were 3:73's and what a headache. Three gear sets later and $1600 the gear sets whine to the point that I no longer enjoy the car. I have just ordered the complete rear axle assembly which will cost me another $1400 by the time I get installed...do the math that is $3,000 I have spent ....so would I rather have the factory do the mods.....you bet......again just my opinion.

I roughly came to the same conclusion as it cost me well over 5k on my 05' GT to get similar mods, so I ordered my 2011 GT500 with the SVT package.

Also, the SVT pkg seems to be cheaper here in Canada... but the wheels are different than USA SVT pkg... they seems to be like the stock ones, but with darker color (also 10" in the rear)

Archived