TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Supporting car on jack stands

TxCan

Just got my new 2010 home last night from the dealer (white with grabber blue stripes) and had to go thru a little snow to get it home, so I'm going to be putting the car on jack stands to clean the under carraige and install a different exhaust while it's on the stands. I have read topics on the jacking points for the car, but can't find anything on the proper areas to place the jack stands. Anyone have any info on this, or can someone point me to a thread that has covered this topic? Any help would be appreciated. I definately don't want to damage anything, only 25 km's when I picked it up!!!

Place 4 jack stands under the front and rear sub frame extensions. this will leave the suspension in a relaxed position so you can get the exhaust pipes[ if you're removing them] out from over the rear axle.If you have an old rubber floor mat or something similar, cut out pieces to put on top of the floor jack[when jacking] and then the jack stands to protect the sub frame from scratches.

Bob why do you think that? Car is sitting on all 4 wheels and the boards you see are 2x12's not 2x4's lol. Parking brake is on, car is in gear. This is no different then sitting on the ground.

Good thing about this is if you are really having to put the torque to something you don't have to worry about the car rocking and falling off the jack or jackstands. My floor jack you see in the pic is not supporting any load I just left it there so it would be out of the way.

Oh yeah and all the boards are nailed together.

Bob why do you think that? Car is sitting on all 4 wheels and the boards you see are 2x12's not 2x4's lol. Parking brake is on, car is in gear. This is no different then sitting on the ground.

Good thing about this is if you are really having to put the torque to something you don't have to worry about the car rocking and falling off the jack or jackstands. My floor jack you see in the pic is not supporting any load I just left it there so it would be out of the way.

Oh yeah and all the boards are nailed together.

Todd famous last words.There was a guy out in Lawrenceville 2 years ago who was working on a vette--had the car in gear,and emergcy break on.The break let go,the car popped out of gear and he was killed.Im 64 and cautious.For me, id have fllor jacks under it was well--hope to see you at Paneras,and BTW Im sorry if i offended you,bob

Todd famous last words.There was a guy out in Lawrenceville 2 years ago who was working on a vette--had the car in gear,and emergcy break on.The break let go,the car popped out of gear and he was killed.Im 64 and cautious.For me, id have fllor jacks under it was well--hope to see you at Paneras,and BTW Im sorry if i offended you,bob

No worries, and trust me it is dam near impossible to offend me. 13yrs in the Fire service...lol I have had my days.

And will have to wait until saturday to see if I can make it sunday.

PS. Will use stands next time. I promise.

Take care

Todd

Archived