TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Has Anyone Ran The Quarter In There GT500?

I did. I ran November 18 in Tulsa. Another member from here(Sprint200) also went along and ran his. This was the first manual tranny car that I ever raced and was also my first time at a drag strip. I ran a best of 13.147 I think on street tires. Lots of wheel hop and this was with traction control on. The only time I turned the traction control off was when I borrowed a set of drag radials. With those I ran a 12.71x. With more practice I should run that good on the street tires but the track is closed for the season. These cars really need suspension mods to eliminate the wheel hop. It's just to easy to break things with the hop. I plan on changing to an adjustable upper control arm and different gears(probably 4.10's and get some DOT slicks for the track. After I get the car where it can hook up with the power it has, then I would like to add a tune and CAI from either Justin at VMP or Evolution.

I would be more interested in the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile, which is the true testament to how much horsepower a car is putting down, so how about some trap speeds guys? The ET's will be all over the board when you've got drivers who don't race much, or when traction is compromised (weather, factory rubber, eager throttle foot, etc.). My bone-stock 2003 Mach 1 (rated at 305 hp) ran a lot of 13.0's, so it would have been a good race in the 1/4 mile against bone-stock GT500's. However, and a big however at that, the Mach 1 crossed the line at "just" 105 mph, whereas the GT500's are typically doing 115-118 mph at the line. From a rolling start, I would thoroughly expect a GT500 to whoop my Mach 1 or my 2007 Mustang GT.

About 5 years ago, I lined up at the local drags against one of our customers. I was in my 260hp 2000 Mustang GT while he was in his road-race-prepped 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe. I launched much better and beat him to the 1/8 mile mark, but he passed me promptly and whooped me in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 13.85 @ 99 mph to his 12.35 at 124 mph. If he could have launched strong on drag slicks, he would have run high 10's. So much comes down to traction and experience when it comes to ET's, but again, the MPH is gonna be fairly consistent regardless.

I ran mine. It was cold, I mean cold! She would have done better if she had ice skates on! I went with the TC off. I will be trying next season with it ON. Launching this car is far harder then a 04. You have to be good with your feet. Or have a good set of tires out back.

I tried back peddling many times and she still roasted the tires thru 2nd.

Tire pressure was played with too.

Did you lower the tire psi at all? this will help :doh:

We lowered the presure to 28 psi. not sure if I should have lowered it more.

B)-->

QUOTE(Five Oh B @ Jan 9 2007, 10:57 PM) 87089[/snapback]

I would be more interested in the trap speed at the end of the 1/4 mile, which is the true testament to how much horsepower a car is putting down, so how about some trap speeds guys? The ET's will be all over the board when you've got drivers who don't race much, or when traction is compromised (weather, factory rubber, eager throttle foot, etc.). My bone-stock 2003 Mach 1 (rated at 305 hp) ran a lot of 13.0's, so it would have been a good race in the 1/4 mile against bone-stock GT500's. However, and a big however at that, the Mach 1 crossed the line at "just" 105 mph, whereas the GT500's are typically doing 115-118 mph at the line. From a rolling start, I would thoroughly expect a GT500 to whoop my Mach 1 or my 2007 Mustang GT.

About 5 years ago, I lined up at the local drags against one of our customers. I was in my 260hp 2000 Mustang GT while he was in his road-race-prepped 1997 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe. I launched much better and beat him to the 1/8 mile mark, but he passed me promptly and whooped me in the 1/4 mile. I ran a 13.85 @ 99 mph to his 12.35 at 124 mph. If he could have launched strong on drag slicks, he would have run high 10's. So much comes down to traction and experience when it comes to ET's, but again, the MPH is gonna be fairly consistent regardless.

13.16 at 112 mph

Okay, finally got a tire pressure out of this board. This seems to be a 'Top Secret' item. I have asked 50 times and finally got a response. :doh:

Quick someone edit or delete pony ride's post before the top secret tire pressure numbers get out, someone is gonna have to deal with SCGT500 to make sure he dont spill the beans!! :hysterical:

My best trap speed has been 111.23 mph. That was a first run after trailering car to track. After the s/c heats up my avg. trap speed has been 109.xx's

I was running 18psi in the stock tires at the Tulsa track w/fastbackman

Sprint. Last I heard you had recently changed out your uca's. Did that alone get rid of the wheel hop we were experiencing. Is that the only suspension mod you've made?

Archived