TEAM SHELBY FORUM

What options are you picking?

For the folks that are ordering, I thought it would be helpful to chat about the different options that are available on the GT350. If for no other reason than to get information out.

For me...first and foremost... I think the painted stripes are a must. That's at the top of my list. I really want the stripes to go down the back bumper, so that's a great reason for painted stripes.

What's at the top of your list?

Only one for certain is painted stripes. Rear brakes are highly probable. Still trying to figure out the rest

Rick:

Are you getting a GT350?? Another Stang for the stable???? If you do, bring it up to Calgary. I would love to have a look.

I will have my Super Snake at the World of Wheels at the round up centre Feb 19 to 21. Drop by the Mustang Club display.

Cheers

Brett

Rick:

Are you getting a GT350?? Another Stang for the stable???? If you do, bring it up to Calgary. I would love to have a look.

I will have my Super Snake at the World of Wheels at the round up centre Feb 19 to 21. Drop by the Mustang Club display.

Cheers

Brett

Hey Brett,

Hope the weather cooperates for the show. I will definitely attend. Thanks for letting me know.

I am ordering a GT350. Looks like it will be a great track car. We'll have to see if the authorities will let me bring it across the border.

Painted Stripes definitely, and in fact are now the ONLY option from what I heard...

Probably Watts Link. Pass on the other stuff I think. I can always take it back for more.

The options list shows:

Leather interior upgrade

Rear brakes

Watt's link

Painted stripes

Custom car cover

Museum delivery

Has this changed?

no, sorry, I just meant that stries painted on are now the only way the car wil come...no vinyl according to a post by Amy

gonna do the Museum delivery as well.

I was thinking Amy meant that in relation to stripes over the rear bumper. Meaning that if you wanted stripes down the rear bumper that they would have to be painted. Anyone know for sure?

no, sorry, I just meant that stries painted on are now the only way the car wil come...no vinyl according to a post by Amy

gonna do the Museum delivery as well.

Some how we all misread that post, Roger has verified the GT350 comes standard with vinyl stripes and graphics.

The options list shows:

Leather interior upgrade

Rear brakes

Watt's link

Painted stripes

Custom car cover

Museum delivery

Has this changed?

Yes to all of the above. No Stereo at all for me. My car is going to be caged.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm thinking of ordering. I'm trying to reconcile the cost which looks like it will probably push $70K. My dealer isn't an official Shelby dealer but Shelby said that that is not necessary - you just have them drop ship to SA. But the dealer hasn't ordered any 2011 cars yet as they don't have pricing. I'm also not sure if the current rebate will apply to 2011 cars - I kind of doubt it. They expect cost to be $2.5K to $4K above 2010 cars.

Will likely get painted stripes and better interior. I don't want to have vinyl stripes deteriorate on a car like this. Its kind of a shame they don't offer a better interior as standard. Will also get the better tires - I'm planning on tracking the car and tires are really the most important option in my opinion. I personally figure I don't need the upgraded calipers for rear brakes as I'm not racing, I'm just doing track days. Better pads will probably help.

This car will be a *big* change for me - I currently have a Lotus Elise and have not driven a very big car on the track before. Keeping the Lotus for auto-x and some track days while I will drive a 350 more during the week an occasional track days.

BTW, I just watched a Motorweek on the GT500. They said it was a bit of a pig (understeered a lot) at 10:10ths. Shane keeps telling me that that car is more of a straight line car - the 350 should be much better. Hope so.

What about a short throw shifter - I just emailed Shane to see if its available. My wife just got a 427R and we both LOVE the cue ball and short throw shifter on that car. It really makes the car.

Watts suspension - I don't really understand what this is - anybody want to comment?

Well, my best description of a watts link would be this:

Picture your suspension and more specifically, your rear leaf springs. Consider the fact that they are not designed to take major lateral Gs (turns at a high rate of speed) without some lateral movement. Obviously this shift in axle position is not ideal for racing and keeping control over your car. Now, there are other parts of your suspension I wont go into here that are a step down from a watts that are made for keeping your axle in place, but, since your axle must be able to absorb bumps and road issues, it has to be able to move. A Watts Linkage is two rods attached to the axle that overlap in length and connect to a short rod that attaches to the rear body. It makes the shape of a Z basically, and as the horizontal rods are allowed to move up and down together, the centerpoint of the connecting rod by the geometry of the design stays almost perfectly in the same line giving that needed lateral bracing.

Hmm, now your tires important but brakes arent comment...I have no answer for that....please do yourself a favor and get brakes...even if you have to wait until later to get them before you track it. One is not more important than the other...its the same argument as wheels and tires....which is more important, well, neither can do their job without the other.

751_WattsLink.jpg

751_WattsLink.jpg

I am kind of disappointed about having to spend twice for interior upgrades. Getting 300a with the Shelby interior seemed like a decent way to go but you don't get SYNC or a power seat. I don't care about the power seat per se but I'm guessing the manual seat may not have as many adjustments and I gotta have that! Also the surrounds and other stuff just "make the interior". Seems like a waste to spend twice but I don't see a way around it (that is 400a plus Shelby interior). The interior is where you spend all your time so it might as well look nice.

What about the stereo? Yes, I know - the exhaust note IS the stereo. Thats what the Ferrari guys always say too. But, I like both and really like my tunes when I'm on a long drive (to the track!). Again, seems like you have to upgrade to Shaker 1000 from Ford and then upgrade the system from Shelby too. Is the Kicker/Shelby system going to sound as good as an aftermarket system? I've been all over the map on stereos. My wife's Acura actually has an ok stock stereo but not a ton of bass. Amazingly enough I have a Dodge Dakota pickup with an upgraded Infinity (it was an option) stereo and it really sounds quite good - especially for a pickup. Better speakers are almost always the key and sometimes you need an amp for better bass. My wife's 427R has the basic Shaker 500. She is not a stereo buff but even *she* says she was disappointed with it. I tried to play with the controls to get it to sound better but it just pretty much sucked. Again, I'm betting its the speakers. I'm not sure what more the Shaker 1000 really gets you - 10 speakers vs. 8? Does it even make sense to get the Shaker 1000 if I were to get the Shelby/Kicker system?

Painted stripes - boy, I really wanted these as I felt like stripes down the back made a lot more sense. But they are $4.5K! Thats a lot of dough for something that most people would not even notice the difference (certainly not from afar). Ok, I'd know but is the car going to look that much better? My real reason to go with them was mostly because I didn't want the vinyl stripes to peel. Of course, you can always get them re-striped or painted later I suppose.

I guess I'm trying to be responsible with my irresponsibility of getting this car if you know what I mean. Its a 3rd car for me but I don't want to spend $70K and say something later like "gee, if I had only done this or that it would have really made the difference" (i.e. saving $5K or even $10K now). I guess the weird thing is - when I read the Motor Trend article they said it would be about $63K. Ok, so that seemed like a lot. But really with the options that you almost "have" to get, its more like $70K minimum and about $80K when its all said and done (if you get the GT Premium, and $10K worth of Shelby options). Sheesh. But I am trying to think of what I'd rather do with that kind of dough for a different car. My wife already has a 427R so getting another Roush (even a 2011) seems a bit redundant. Plus, she's encouraging me to get this - it will be unique and a little different (ok, a lot different).

Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

I am kind of disappointed about having to spend twice for interior upgrades. Getting 300a with the Shelby interior seemed like a decent way to go but you don't get SYNC or a power seat. I don't care about the power seat per se but I'm guessing the manual seat may not have as many adjustments and I gotta have that! Also the surrounds and other stuff just "make the interior". Seems like a waste to spend twice but I don't see a way around it (that is 400a plus Shelby interior). The interior is where you spend all your time so it might as well look nice.

What about the stereo? Yes, I know - the exhaust note IS the stereo. Thats what the Ferrari guys always say too. But, I like both and really like my tunes when I'm on a long drive (to the track!). Again, seems like you have to upgrade to Shaker 1000 from Ford and then upgrade the system from Shelby too. Is the Kicker/Shelby system going to sound as good as an aftermarket system? I've been all over the map on stereos. My wife's Acura actually has an ok stock stereo but not a ton of bass. Amazingly enough I have a Dodge Dakota pickup with an upgraded Infinity (it was an option) stereo and it really sounds quite good - especially for a pickup. Better speakers are almost always the key and sometimes you need an amp for better bass. My wife's 427R has the basic Shaker 500. She is not a stereo buff but even *she* says she was disappointed with it. I tried to play with the controls to get it to sound better but it just pretty much sucked. Again, I'm betting its the speakers. I'm not sure what more the Shaker 1000 really gets you - 10 speakers vs. 8? Does it even make sense to get the Shaker 1000 if I were to get the Shelby/Kicker system?

Painted stripes - boy, I really wanted these as I felt like stripes down the back made a lot more sense. But they are $4.5K! Thats a lot of dough for something that most people would not even notice the difference (certainly not from afar). Ok, I'd know but is the car going to look that much better? My real reason to go with them was mostly because I didn't want the vinyl stripes to peel. Of course, you can always get them re-striped or painted later I suppose.

I guess I'm trying to be responsible with my irresponsibility of getting this car if you know what I mean. Its a 3rd car for me but I don't want to spend $70K and say something later like "gee, if I had only done this or that it would have really made the difference" (i.e. saving $5K or even $10K now). I guess the weird thing is - when I read the Motor Trend article they said it would be about $63K. Ok, so that seemed like a lot. But really with the options that you almost "have" to get, its more like $70K minimum and about $80K when its all said and done (if you get the GT Premium, and $10K worth of Shelby options). Sheesh. But I am trying to think of what I'd rather do with that kind of dough for a different car. My wife already has a 427R so getting another Roush (even a 2011) seems a bit redundant. Plus, she's encouraging me to get this - it will be unique and a little different (ok, a lot different).

Thoughts?

Find a Blue 08 SGT, can be found for about 25K. Put a Ford Racing Whipple on top of it, 5K. GT 500 take off breaks, $500. and maybe a set of Alcoa wheels, $2500 and your into a car that is Just as fast, will stay together and Half the cost. And only Produced about 2500 of them. I Just can't see Paying 70K for a 350, Just crazy,. My SGT was 42K new, Not trying to affend anyone, But I think in the long run the SGT will be the Collector car of the Future, Best bang for the buck. And a car all the Shelby guys LOVED! I still get asked every time I drive my SGT what a Bad ass looking car it is. I have a 07, and would love a Blue 08.

Find a Blue 08 SGT, can be found for about 25K. Put a Ford Racing Whipple on top of it, 5K. GT 500 take off breaks, $500. and maybe a set of Alcoa wheels, $2500 and your into a car that is Just as fast, will stay together and Half the cost. And only Produced about 2500 of them. I Just can't see Paying 70K for a 350, Just crazy,. My SGT was 42K new, Not trying to affend anyone, But I think in the long run the SGT will be the Collector car of the Future, Best bang for the buck. And a car all the Shelby guys LOVED! I still get asked every time I drive my SGT what a Bad ass looking car it is. I have a 07, and would love a Blue 08.

It's not a crazy price if you want a REAL Shelby GT350. Old ones cost way more and clones are clones. They look cool but...

srwhitman- I agree with all of your observations...it seems we have both had to think the same issues through, and I agree 100% with what you have said. I already have the kicker setup ready to install, so Ill just do that myself. Having the Shaker 1000 on my GT500, I will say it sounds better than the Kicker system, but after switching the kicker speakers back to the stock amps, the sound got a ton better, so now Im thinking I may have a bad amp, or it isnt installed correctly. But my point is the Shaker 1000 sounds great! The stripes Im waffling on, but I guess I will just have to do it. I am holding off on the interior upgrade and the watts link, due to the fact that I may have to switch those out anyway if I go with a rollbar or upgrade to a Griggs suspension.

srwhitman- I agree with all of your observations...it seems we have both had to think the same issues through, and I agree 100% with what you have said. I already have the kicker setup ready to install, so Ill just do that myself. Having the Shaker 1000 on my GT500, I will say it sounds better than the Kicker system, but after switching the kicker speakers back to the stock amps, the sound got a ton better, so now Im thinking I may have a bad amp, or it isnt installed correctly. But my point is the Shaker 1000 sounds great! The stripes Im waffling on, but I guess I will just have to do it. I am holding off on the interior upgrade and the watts link, due to the fact that I may have to switch those out anyway if I go with a rollbar or upgrade to a Griggs suspension.

For me, the painted stripes are a MUST! The interior is a hard sell. Don't think I'll do this either. I owned a SGT with vinyl stripes and was not impressed with installation or durability. Does anyone know where we are with the GRIGGS possibility???

My wife's 427R (Roush) has vinyl stripes and they look pretty good. Its not the same kind of stripes and obviously a different company but its hard to tell that they aren't painted.

What is a Grigg's suspension? I'm new to all this stuff.

Archived