TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Winter Project

Ezkill

We built a new house about a year ago and now that the landscaping, decks and fences are done I found myself bored in the winter. In prepearation of the Mustang GT moving out and 2011 Shelby moving in I decided to complete the garage. In November the garage was just basic framing. I added insulation, heating, drywall, flooring, cabinets, shelves, lighting and a workbench for my small projects...car tools are on the other side. Thought not as fancy as some of you have, it's my first finished garage and I think it turned out quite well. I don't think I'd ever be willing to go back to frames and pavement.

Cudos to the wife for supporting the garage spending and buying me the flatscreen as a surprise gift for finishing the garage.

post-25987-126504195741_thumb.jpg

post-25987-126504195741_thumb.jpg

We built a new house about a year ago and now that the landscaping, decks and fences are done I found myself bored in the winter. In prepearation of the Mustang GT moving out and 2011 Shelby moving in I decided to complete the garage. In November the garage was just basic framing. I added insulation, heating, drywall, flooring, cabinets, shelves, lighting and a workbench for my small projects...car tools are on the other side. Thought not as fancy as some of you have, it's my first finished garage and I think it turned out quite well. I don't think I'd ever be willing to go back to frames and pavement.

Cudos to the wife for supporting the garage spending and buying me the flatscreen as a surprise gift for finishing the garage.

Looks awesome. Love the floor!

Looks awesome. Love the floor!

The floor is my favorite part. We have harsh winters here, lots of salt and road grime in fact piles of it. I mop up after the wife's SUV once a week and the floor looks good as new. It also has an airspace underneath it so it's warm enough to go out to the garage in socks even when it's minus 30 outside. I decided to spend the money on it because even the proffessional floor coatings errode with our winter conditions. This stuff is gauranteed for 10 years in a shop, so in a home garage I can't see it ever being replaced.

Nice job on the garage. Good idea insulating the whole thing, mine is cold as all get up in the winter, have to run the space heater most of the time to keep it warm. The floor looks great, what kind of tile did you use for it and who makes it?

Nice job on the garage. Good idea insulating the whole thing, mine is cold as all get up in the winter, have to run the space heater most of the time to keep it warm. The floor looks great, what kind of tile did you use for it and who makes it?

Racedeck flooring.

http://www.racedeck.com/

Its made for garages and shops and it's tough as nails. Damaging it accidentally is almost impossible.

The floor is my favorite part. We have harsh winters here, lots of salt and road grime in fact piles of it. I mop up after the wife's SUV once a week and the floor looks good as new. It also has an airspace underneath it so it's warm enough to go out to the garage in socks even when it's minus 30 outside. I decided to spend the money on it because even the proffessional floor coatings errode with our winter conditions. This stuff is gauranteed for 10 years in a shop, so in a home garage I can't see it ever being replaced.

Very well organized.....I love that floor...enjoy....happy%20feet.gif

Looks Great! I have the same floor and love it, scrubs down easy enough with some orange clean and a mop. This year (because I laid it down in all three bays) I saw these roll out one peice garage mats at Sam"s Club for $135.00. It's wider than your car and can be cut to length(comes in 26 feet length) I just rolled it out and let it flatten it's self out, when it warms up for a day I take the hose out and rinse all the crap out. It came on a big plastic pipe so in the spring I'll roll it back onto the roll and store for the summer. Just an idea to help keep that floor looking good.

Looks Great! I have the same floor and love it, scrubs down easy enough with some orange clean and a mop. This year (because I laid it down in all three bays) I saw these roll out one peice garage mats at Sam"s Club for $135.00. It's wider than your car and can be cut to length(comes in 26 feet length) I just rolled it out and let it flatten it's self out, when it warms up for a day I take the hose out and rinse all the crap out. It came on a big plastic pipe so in the spring I'll roll it back onto the roll and store for the summer. Just an idea to help keep that floor looking good.

I saw parking mats available in a few places. There is one that I was specifically interested in because it has a raised edge and will hold gallons of water. I am definately getting one for my wife for next winter, I might even possibly do it this year. The floor is easy to clean off but there is a lot of stuff that falls of her car so it is probably a good idea.

I saw parking mats available in a few places. There is one that I was specifically interested in because it has a raised edge and will hold gallons of water. I am definately getting one for my wife for next winter, I might even possibly do it this year. The floor is easy to clean off but there is a lot of stuff that falls of her car so it is probably a good idea.

These ones work really good...

http://www.auto-care.com/cleanparkhd.html

Very nice!

I'm getting there myself, can you please provide some details on your workbench area, what did you use, specific details. You can send me this in a PM if you wish.

Thank you in advance.

The work bench surface is 3/4 inch plywood with some nosing that I screwed onto the front. The legs are made out of lag bolts and 2x4's and it's screwed into the base cabinets which are a semi-cheap Canadian Tire base cabinet. Varnished the whole thing about 4 times to make the surface non porous to oil and gas from my remote control helicopters/cars.

The back wall is aluminum pegboard made by a company called diamond life as are the shelves between the two top cabinets.

The two top cabinets are again fairly cheap canadian tire top cabinets.

I saw a set up kind of like this in a garage specific store but they wanted 8,000 dollars for the cabinets, workbench and top cabinets. It was a lot more fancy then what I did as the worktop was stainless steel and the cabinets were of superior quality but I wasn't prepared to spend that kind of money on what they wanted. With the four cabinets, plywood, shelves, peg board, and hardware I came in at around 900 dollars so about 1/9th the cost of what I saw in the garage store.

I was trying to keep costs down because with the insulation, heating, flooring and drywall I had already spent a substantial amount on the garage this season. Building my own interpretation seems to have worked out well so far. Everything was decently cheap and the whole thing is solid...I hung the top cabinets and painted the top of the wall by standing on the work bench so it's not going anywhere.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived