TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Taking off hoodblanket??

ZXMustang

Why would you want to take off the hood blanket? Yes, may cause your hood to discolor or worse.

Steve

I am not sure if it will discolor or not, but I do know that the underside of the hood is not completely painted. At least mine is not.

I want to take off the underhood liner/blanket. Has anyone done this, and will it ruin the hood stripes because of the engine heat??

I think I read on another thread that most folks eliminate the liner if they go with aftermarket hoods so I doubt that there would be a problem if you did. JMHO

I took my heat blanket off after having my performance upgrades done so I could hear the whine of my supercharger. I honestly can't imagine it having an affect on your stripes. The underside of my hood was painted and looks great when it is open.

here's a pic

Picture020.jpg

Thanks for the pic man. Thats the reason I want to take mine off too is for more blower whine. I know, its a little ricerish but I dont care. I did it in my 04 cobra, and the blower just screamed with the CAI and pulley on there. I cant wait to hear my GT500 all pullied up. And Im going with the new VMP nose drive with the 2.2 pulley/Posi port and JLT cai/tune. This thing is going to squeal like a pig, and I hope the scream is LOUD!

Thanks for the pic man. Thats the reason I want to take mine off too is for more blower whine. I know, its a little ricerish but I dont care. I did it in my 04 cobra, and the blower just screamed with the CAI and pulley on there. I cant wait to hear my GT500 all pullied up. And Im going with the new VMP nose drive with the 2.2 pulley/Posi port and JLT cai/tune. This thing is going to squeal like a pig, and I hope the scream is LOUD!

oh trust me, it is!!!

Even when I'm just going through my gears normal I can hear that thing whining without the heat blanket on.....it's awesome.

I want to take off the underhood liner/blanket. Has anyone done this, and will it ruin the hood stripes because of the engine heat??

Mine has been off since almost day one and no issues here and the kb gets a hell of a lot hotter than a stock sc.

Mine has been off since almost day one and no issues here and the kb gets a hell of a lot hotter than a stock sc.

I was thinking of taking mine out to help dispel the heat when road racing. Does anyone know if there is any reduction in ECT, CHT or IAT2 by removing the blanket?

Just keep in mind that the hood blanket is designed to snuff out an engine fire if one should occur. Those little plastic thingies are designed to melt and drop the blanket over the engine.

Just my $0.02 :talkhand:

That's nice to know. Never thought of that.

That's nice to know. Never thought of that.

I took it off last night. Took me 3 minutes and no tools. Also the good news is that my hood is completely painted underneath. I ripped it off, and all the plastic push in things stayed in the hood. It looks great. Ofcourse, last night and this morning it was snowing like a mofo and I couldnt drive it to work. How much louder will the blower be, still being stock with no pulley or CAI?

I took it off last night. Took me 3 minutes and no tools. Also the good news is that my hood is completely painted underneath. I ripped it off, and all the plastic push in things stayed in the hood. It looks great. Ofcourse, last night and this morning it was snowing like a mofo and I couldnt drive it to work. How much louder will the blower be, still being stock with no pulley or CAI?

I'm thinking of doing this as well. Let me know once you have a chance to drive it how much louder the whine is. My car is also stock with no CAI or pulley. I can't get enough of that supercharger whine.

I'm thinking of doing this as well. Let me know once you have a chance to drive it how much louder the whine is. My car is also stock with no CAI or pulley. I can't get enough of that supercharger whine.

During normal, non boost driving there is ZERO difference in sound. But when you get on the loud pedal, the blower whine is maybe 25% louder. I can only imagine how loud its going to be with a pulley and CAI on there. But for stock with the stock airbox and pulley, its a very small bump. Back when I had my 04 cobra it was a HUGE upgrade when you remove the hoodblanket, and that airbox snorkle. I was going to take that off my GT500 air box too, and I did last summer for a few miles. But when I took the filter out, I found a ton of debris in the airbox under the filter so I put it back on and now it doesnt get like that anymore.

Might be a stupid question but how do you get the black plastic pins that hold the hood blanket off without breaking them? Do you just pry them out with a flat head screwdriver? Haven't tried it yet but I would like to keep them in case I want to put it back on. Thanks.

I never even had to take them out. The heads are very small, and what I did was put my thumb on the head of them and tore the blanket one at a time . The blanket will just rip through them leaving them behind and with a small gap. Then you just snap them the rest of the way into the hood and they are secure. Basicly I slowly ripped the blanket off one at a time very carefully.

Might be a stupid question but how do you get the black plastic pins that hold the hood blanket off without breaking them? Do you just pry them out with a flat head screwdriver? Haven't tried it yet but I would like to keep them in case I want to put it back on. Thanks.

I used a flat head screw driver to pry them out just enough to get plyers on them, then used the plyers to get them out the rest of the way.

I used a trim removal tool set like these Panel, Trim and Molding Removal Set If you are very careful you can remove it without damaging it.

I used a flat head screw driver to pry them out just enough to get plyers on them, then used the plyers to get them out the rest of the way.

08 Mustang, what's your opinion on the mod for the sc whine? Is it worth the slightest chance we start an engine fire for the increased sound (or anyone else whose done it)? Ty

08 Mustang, what's your opinion on the mod for the sc whine? Is it worth the slightest chance we start an engine fire for the increased sound (or anyone else whose done it)? Ty

I don't even think twice about removing my heat blanket.....specially when I hit the gas pedal and hear my car scream...lol!!

I had to take mine off to get at the washer nozzles and vents when I striped my car, I would have left the dust collector off but the underside of my hood is not fully painted....

Robots were slacking that day....

Archived