TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The OTHER MMR 5.0 stroker engine

3" x 3" off road x-pipe and mmr fuel rail kit came in today. the headers are still at the coaters, but at least i have something that i can finally install on the car!! lol.

x-pipe.jpg

another question!! what do yall think about upgrading the coil on plugs?? are the stock ones good enough??

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3" x 3" off road x-pipe and mmr fuel rail kit came in today. the headers are still at the coaters, but at least i have something that i can finally install on the car!! lol.

x-pipe.jpg

another question!! what do yall think about upgrading the coil on plugs?? are the stock ones good enough??

Do not have any dealings with MMR but Keith Craft that the way I would have gone. We run there engines on dirt track both small block and big blocks and kick a**. You get what you pay for been running them for 4 years just freshing them up with bearings each season.Excellent work both heads and block.If any one fords Keith knows!!!!!

I know, I was just messing with you. LOL

You recall I was talking to you about your old shorty headers, well the list I gave Dennis was for long tubes. I'll see what he suggests on short versus long if you're are still available.

you want LT's with a SC. Dennis talked me into ARH for the new motor.

I went with the Summit Racing coils, but I doubt that this is a necessary mod. If you have a few hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket, they certainly won't hurt.

Ken

• 3 weeks later...

^Really? I didn't realize that. They honestly look just like OEM coils with a cheesy Summit sticker attached!

Not really any updates!! ive been waiting almost a month for my heads to come in!! i have everything else!! Once the heads are in I will get to working on the beast and hopefully get in running in a week or so. My dream power is 850 hp and Im trying to do all i can to reach it too. lol. HPP suggested that i should do nitrous on top of the whipple doing 20#'s to make close to that power so I'm really thinking about it. the only thing is nitrous is really scary to me just cuase i feel that nitrous is real tempermental and can make things go bad really fast!! lol. so if yall have any suggestions on kits or think i should go another route pls voice yalls opinion without selling the whipple!! Also Im looking at guage pods and trying to figure out whats best looking. I'm going to do a/f guage and nitrous guage. I've seen one guage pod where it fits in ur cup holder and it has acouple of switches too. figured that one would be best if im going the nitrous route.

Oh and the car is going to be tuned to run on E85!! So we'll see how that will go!! lol!! Luckily i live in dallas where E85 is everywhere!! Just no more road trips in the shelby anymore, i can see myself in the middle of nowhere looking for E85!! lol.

ok i have been looking around and it looks like zex is the best way to go!!!

Heres what im thinking:

82034B '05-Current Ford Mustang GT Blackout Nitrous System™ 1 $682.45 $682.45

82175 -4AN Dual Outlet Purge Kit 1 $125.95 $125.95

82085 Traction Control Window Switch 1 $178.45 $178.45

82345 Pro Safety Blow-Down Kit 1 $110.20 $110.20

Total: $1,097.05

and than

Speed of sound cup holder pod

sos.jpg

with the cobalt n20 pressure guage

^Yikes man you're bonkers! :lol:

Good luck with the ZEX. I've rarely messed with the stuff, but it definitely does work wonders. I'm been in the same boat as you for quite awhile, just waiting on my heads. 2 more days is what I've been hearing for weeks now. :waiting:

^Yikes man you're bonkers! :lol:

Good luck with the ZEX. I've rarely messed with the stuff, but it definitely does work wonders. I'm been in the same boat as you for quite awhile, just waiting on my heads. 2 more days is what I've been hearing for weeks now. :waiting:

you say bonkers and I say Shelby enthusiast (idk if I spelled that right lol).

Ok it's decided that I'm going the nitrous route it will be ordered Monday.

And thank god Ken I thought I was the only one getting the run around. Lol except mine is the end of this week I've gotten this for the past three weeks.

How long has it been since u heard ur car running Ken?? I'm going on 6 months. I don't even remember how she drive anymore. Lol

you say bonkers and I say Shelby enthusiast (idk if I spelled that right lol).

Ok it's decided that I'm going the nitrous route it will be ordered Monday.

And thank god Ken I thought I was the only one getting the run around. Lol except mine is the end of this week I've gotten this for the past three weeks.

How long has it been since u heard ur car running Ken?? I'm going on 6 months. I don't even remember how she drive anymore. Lol

Same here buddy - I'm going on 5 months now myself. The nice weather lately has been killing me, but most of those 5 months were rainy and cold, so I didn't feel too badly about it.

• 2 weeks later...

You need to check the fit of your MMR billet steel crank timing trigger wheel. Mine wouldn't slip on easily like the stock one would, so I called my builder and asked him what the deal was. He told me that MMR has built tons of these wheels and lots of them don't fit without a sledge hammer. He said that if it's a tight fit, the billet wheel will eat up the crank key and possible destroy the entire crank.

Anyway, if it's a tight fit, send it back and use the stock wheel. That's what I'm doing.

Ken

1270474978.jpg

The nitrous came in trying to figure out where to mount the bottle!!

And thx Ken for the heads up, I would of prolly beat it on!! Lol. BTW are u putting the motor together urself?? Where did u get all the bolt torque specs??

My heads should be coming in this week, so install pics are coming soon!! :)

• 1 month later...

Ok today i start the build process (finally).

Today i got a late start so not much done.

Installed:

rear main seal

MMR rear main seal plate

pilot bearing

ARP head studs

felpro gaskets

MMR windage tray

MMR street/strip oil pump

guidance pins and various plugs

1274238807.jpg

1274238785.jpg

1274238834.jpg

Heres a few more pics of my old block when i took off the oil pan half of the sidewall fell off. lol

1274238895.jpg

1274238940.jpg

Ok i hit a problem with the oil pump pick up tube. Looks like MMR sent me a completely wrong tube. It has this wierd metal bracket on it so it wont clear the windage tray. So im going to ford tomarrow and hopefully they will have one or ill just order it.

but on the lighter side of things i went ahead and bolted the cams and heads up tonight. I should of gotten the heads powdercoated black to match, looks like im trying to do some kind of two tone scheme on my engine. lol.

Heres some pics:

MMR stage 3 ported heads

1274324047.jpg

1274324059.jpg

Comp Cams stage 3 blower cams

1274324115.jpg

^It's not the pickup tube. It's the windage tray and the main studs they sold you. I'm going to assume they sold you a windage tray for a 2V or old 4V.

The 3V's windage tray is a whole lot bigger and better than the old factory trays, so there's no need for an upgrade. And as far as I know, an upgrade doesn't even exist for the 3V. If this is the case, you'll need your OEM windage tray to make the pickup tube work.

Lastly, MMR originally sold me an ARP main stud kit for a 4V and hassled me when I returned it. They said the main stud kits are all the same. Well that's not the case with the 3V. It's very important that you have the correct studs, in order for your windage tray and pickup tube to assemble correctly.

Last I heard, ARP didn't have an 'out of the box' 3V main stud kit however, so you'll need to piece the kit together yourself. I can guarantee that MMR has no idea what any of this means, but good luck with the returns.

Archived