TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The OTHER MMR 5.0 stroker engine

Okay this is going to be the official thread of the build!!! So now that i dont have a numbers matching shelby anymore im going all out on this shelby!! (ps the number matching engine is now going to be a coffee table!! lol)

PARTS ive ordered:

MMR 950 5.0 short block 9:1 CR

ARP main studs

ARP head studs

MMR oil pump

MMR side bolts

MMR windage tray

MMR STAGE 3 racing heads

COMP CAMS stage 3 blower cam with lockouts

MMR Billet Steel Timing trigger wheel

MMR Billet fuel rail kit for 2005-2008 w/Lines & Fittings

and basically all the gasket are getting replaced with high quality gaskets and all the bolts are getting replaced with ARP

PARTS that are planned to get ordered:

aluminum drive shaft

80lbs injectors

ATI dampner with bigger dia. for more moost

BGG performance 8-rib kit with 2.9 whipple pulley

electric water pump

KOOKS LT headers with no cats

MMR Street/Strip 7 Qrt. Oil pan

MMR Billet Motor Mount adapter

securedownload4.jpg

securedownload.jpg

securedownload2.jpg

I started working on the shelby 2 days ago and this is what i got so far!!

shelby125.jpg

shelby126.jpg

shelby146.jpg

shelby166.jpg

shelby168.jpg

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay this is going to be the official thread of the build!!! first ill start with the story for yall that havent heard. Im 20 so yes i race my car on the street. i know alot of yall deeply frown on that, but yall were a kid once so yall should understand the temptation!! :) lol so i was driving down 190 (toll road) and had some races set up. 1st one up was a camaro ss, needless to say i left him like he was standing still. we did like 3 passes and left him everytime!! he was a stubborn guy and thought all motor was the way to go and forced induction was for panze's!! Now for the 2nd guy, he was running an 06 gt with a whipple. i told him what i was running and he perceeded to tell me that he was running a whipple with 9lbs of boost, msd 2-step, suspension, and exhuast. We do 3 passes from 1 from a 40 roll than 2 from a 60 roll and he left me HARD on the first 2 passes (i didnt understand how i was running 12lbs of boost and he was running 9lbs and got WHOOPED everytime. I think i got sand bagged big time) anyways the third pass I ran my car HARD than once I hit about 140 i hear this loud ticking noise and the car shut off and the cab filled up with smoke. I pull over and there's oil and antifreeze all over the ground!! Yep i blew some pistons and threw some rods!! :( So now that i dont have a numbers matching shelby anymore im going all out on this shelby!! (ps the number matching engine is now going to be a coffee table!! lol)

PARTS ive ordered:

MMR 950 5.0 short block 9:1 CR

ARP main studs

ARP head studs

MMR oil pump

MMR side bolts

MMR windage tray

MMR STAGE 3 racing heads

COMP CAMS stage 3 blower cam with lockouts

MMR Billet Steel Timing trigger wheel

MMR Billet fuel rail kit for 2005-2008 w/Lines & Fittings

and basically all the gasket are getting replaced with high quality gaskets and all the bolts are getting replaced with ARP

PARTS that are planned to get ordered:

aluminum drive shaft

80lbs injectors

ATI dampner with bigger dia. for more moost

BGG performance 8-rib kit with 2.9 whipple pulley

electric water pump

KOOKS LT headers with no cats

MMR Street/Strip 7 Qrt. Oil pan

MMR Billet Motor Mount adapter

Looks like your going all out, best of luck with your build and I hope all goes as planned, it ought to be a beast when your done.

I'm about to have a Dynotech aluminum DS for sale in about a week, I'll let go for a good price,

Okay this is going to be the official thread of the build!!! first ill start with the story for yall that havent heard. Im 20 so yes i race my car on the street. i know alot of yall deeply frown on that, but yall were a kid once so yall should understand the temptation!! :) lol

[ ... ]

I think there is no "LOL" in "Street Racing"; there is no appropriate place for encouraging it, and especially not in Team Shelby.

Looks like your going all out, best of luck with your build and I hope all goes as planned, it ought to be a beast when your done.

I'm about to have a Dynotech aluminum DS for sale in about a week, I'll let go for a good price,

yes I am very interested in the drive shaft!! do u know how much power they can hold by any chance?? send me a PM when u get ready to sell!!

ame='blueone' date='31 January 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1264976225' post='899158']

I think there is no "LOL" in "Street Racing"; there is no appropriate place for encouraging it, and especially not in Team Shelby.

I wasnt laughing at street racing, i was laughing at all the temptations kids have sir!! and I'm definately not looking for engouragement (hence me saying "i know yall deeply frown on street racing"), but i wanted to be honest and tell the story of how the engine blew and give yall an idea and a warning of what not to do with an unbuilt engine with a supercharger!! I dont want to start an heated discussion or anything, but enter kill stories in the search and i bet you'll see alot of street racing stories from very prestigeous people!! If you feel the need to talk to me about street racing than PM me, but lets leave this topic for the engine build comments please!! <--that sounds kinda mean, but i wasnt trying to be just FYI!! lol :)

ame='blueone' date='31 January 2010 - 02:17 PM' timestamp='1264976225' post='899158']

Unless you buy a GT/SR package I guess.....headscratch.gif

nice list, hope you have done your home work on MMR. you may have a problem with the 80lb injectors not fitting, most use the 72lb. also KB make a nice 2.8 kit for the 3v that some have made big hp with. don't forget to upgrade the fuel pumps and clutch. you also may want to look at a TT set up, more bang for your buck.

nice list, hope you have done your home work on MMR. you may have a problem with the 80lb injectors not fitting, most use the 72lb. also KB make a nice 2.8 kit for the 3v that some have made big hp with. don't forget to upgrade the fuel pumps and clutch. you also may want to look at a TT set up, more bang for your buck.

Yea I've heard some bad things about MMR, but I've heard even worse things about livernios. So I didn't know of any different options!! And is 72lbs the highest we can go?? Fuel pumps was upgraded when the supercharger was I stalled and a twin disk clutch was also installed!! So hopefully I'm good there!! (crossing fingers) the big worry I have is the tranny!! Idk how much power they can hold!! And I would love to do the TT setup, but I already spent all this money on the whipple so I don't want that money go to waste!! :( question I have!! Will the whipple 2.8l bolt on the 2.3l intake?? So I can just buy a new compressor or do u have to buy a whole new kit??

Yea I've heard some bad things about MMR, but I've heard even worse things about livernios. So I didn't know of any different options!! And is 72lbs the highest we can go?? Fuel pumps was upgraded when the supercharger was I stalled and a twin disk clutch was also installed!! So hopefully I'm good there!! (crossing fingers) the big worry I have is the tranny!! Idk how much power they can hold!! And I would love to do the TT setup, but I already spent all this money on the whipple so I don't want that money go to waste!! :( question I have!! Will the whipple 2.8l bolt on the 2.3l intake?? So I can just buy a new compressor or do u have to buy a whole new kit??

the Whipple 2.9 won't bolt on to the 4.6 with out some major work. you might want to sell the 2.9 and buy the KB2.8 kit.

or go TT. Check out the Cragar TT; http://www.cragar.com/ProductView.aspx?id=1218&bq=%3fc%3d4

the Whipple 2.9 won't bolt on to the 4.6 with out some major work. you might want to sell the 2.9 and but the KB2.8 kit.

or go TT. Check out the Cragar TT; http://www.cragar.com/ProductView.aspx?id=1218&bq=%3fc%3d4

dang i was really hoping just to get a new compressor!! I really dont have the money to buy a whole new supercharger kit or TT setup. :( but ill check out the website just in case.

Was the Whipple damaged?

No sir!! whipple is still alive luckily!! lol.

Okay the motor is finally out tonight!! for some reason i thought it was going to be alot harder than it really was!! the only problem i ran into was a friend stripped a tranny bolt, but a 1/2 inch wrench and a hammer fixed that right up!! :)

heres some more pics!!

shelby186.jpg

shelby187.jpg

shelby189.jpg

shelby190.jpg

shelby191.jpg

shelby192.jpg

shelby193.jpg

Here is the big gaping hole in the side of the block!!! it also has a HUGE crack all down the side!! and i think thats a piston ring hanging out of the hole!!

shelby197.jpg

shelby198.jpg

shelby207.jpg

if the 2.3 Whipple isn't damaged, then go with one of Steeda's 10-rib belt drive kits,

http://www.steeda.com/products/whipple_accessory_blower_drive.php

yea the 20lb steeda belt system is prolly the route im going!! just cant bite the bullet on the turbo setup just yet!! also I just remembered the fuel pump was not upgraded on the shelby it just has the one that whipple gave me (gt500 fuel pump i think) whats a good fuel pump i can just bolt in??

yea the 20lb steeda belt system is prolly the route im going!! just cant bite the bullet on the turbo setup just yet!! also I just remembered the fuel pump was not upgraded on the shelby it just has the one that whipple gave me (gt500 fuel pump i think) whats a good fuel pump i can just bolt in??

I'm running the GT500 pump on our SGT 5.0 stroker with over 600rwhp. We go back next month for a WOT pull, shooting for 675rwhp. Some have used the FGT pump with goood results.

I'm running the GT500 pump on our SGT 5.0 stroker with over 600rwhp. We go back next month for a WOT pull, shooting for 675rwhp. Some have used the FGT pump with goood results.

Oh wow those are some good numbers on the fuel pump!! I think ill just stick with the gt500 pump than!! :) and by any chance do you know of a good solid motor mount company to go with?? i hear alot of good things about BMR and lethal, but lately ive been hearing about lethal had been having clearance issues!!

Oh wow those are some good numbers on the fuel pump!! I think ill just stick with the gt500 pump than!! :) and by any chance do you know of a good solid motor mount company to go with?? i hear alot of good things about BMR and lethal, but lately ive been hearing about lethal had been having clearance issues!!

you have the option of adding a BAP if needed. we have the BMR k member and mm

http://www.kennebell.net/accessories/boostapump/boostapump.htm

I'd rather let a pack of rabid dogs build an engine than MMR. There are always other choices. Just ask. Since you're in Texas either Strictly Performance in Houston or I could have built you a damn good engine.

Why are you having to use the motor mount adapters? I'm guessing they are using either a Teksid block or an iron Cobra block. Good way to squeeze more money out of you. Oh...and you might want to take a close look at the twin turbo system mentioned above. Works pretty well. :happy feet:

I'd rather let a pack of rabid dogs build an engine than MMR. There are always other choices. Just ask. Since you're in Texas either Strictly Performance in Houston or I could have built you a damn good engine.

Why are you having to use the motor mount adapters? I'm guessing they are using either a Teksid block or an iron Cobra block. Good way to squeeze more money out of you. Oh...and you might want to take a close look at the twin turbo system mentioned above. Works pretty well. :happy feet:

where are you located?? I might have to consider you for the next build!! lol and yes its an cobra block. I would love to get the turbos mentioned above, but i cant just bring myself let the whipple sit in the garage!!

where are you located?? I might have to consider you for the next build!! lol and yes its an cobra block. I would love to get the turbos mentioned above, but i cant just bring myself let the whipple sit in the garage!!

sell the Whipple and go for the TT's. SD is in TX and may be able to get you a better deal on the TT's.

Houston area.

Figured they sold you a Cobra block. Bastards. Anything to sell more shit to someone.

Turbos will just kill that Whipple. Mine has run 10.88 at 128 with 8 psi, 10 degrees total timing, 11.5:1 a/f ratio on a stock engine/transmission/3.31 geared rear end at 3820 lbs. I never had to turn them up either. Stick around and watch what happens this season! he he he he

• 2 weeks later...

OK just giving yall an update of whats up!!

I've ordered some more goodies!!

KOOKS 1 3/4 x 3" LT headers and getting 2000 degree titanium coating. (they were sent the the coaters today)

KOOKS 3" x 3" off-road x-pipe (still waiting on them to ship em')

LETHAL PERFORMANCE adj. motor mounts (recieved today)

LETHAL PERFORMANCE single blade throttle body for the whipple (recieved today)

These are the following parts left to buy

72lb injectors

kenne bell boost-a-pump

STEEDA 20lbs drive pulley kit

some kind of drive shaft (open to suggestions) :)

maybe some MSD coil-on-plugs

and hopefully in two months she'll be getting some nice new shoes!! thinking of true forged chicanes or just go with the alcoa wheels!! undecided!! i just really need some wider tires!!

The only thing im worried about is wondering if this thing will run on pump gas!! :headscratch:

and second does anybody on here know anything about MIL eliminators?? im assuming with the off-road x-pipe my engine light is going to be on and i was wondering how to disable it?? and also im thinking about taking it to manny at HPP here in dallas to get tuned, but if yall know of other good places near sea level pls let me know!! thx :)

OK just giving yall an update of whats up!!

I've ordered some more goodies!!

KOOKS 1 3/4 x 3" LT headers and getting 2000 degree titanium coating. (they were sent the the coaters today)

KOOKS 3" x 3" off-road x-pipe (still waiting on them to ship em')

LETHAL PERFORMANCE adj. motor mounts (recieved today)

LETHAL PERFORMANCE single blade throttle body for the whipple (recieved today)

These are the following parts left to buy

72lb injectors

kenne bell boost-a-pump

STEEDA 20lbs drive pulley kit

some kind of drive shaft (open to suggestions) :)

maybe some MSD coil-on-plugs

and hopefully in two months she'll be getting some nice new shoes!! thinking of true forged chicanes or just go with the alcoa wheels!! undecided!! i just really need some wider tires!!

The only thing im worried about is wondering if this thing will run on pump gas!! :headscratch:

and second does anybody on here know anything about MIL eliminators?? im assuming with the off-road x-pipe my engine light is going to be on and i was wondering how to disable it?? and also im thinking about taking it to manny at HPP here in dallas to get tuned, but if yall know of other good places near sea level pls let me know!! thx :)

it should run on pump gas. what cr are you running? you'll have to have your tuner turn off engine light indicator when he tunes it. jared can hook you up with a 1pc ds, we are running the DSS

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mustang-gt-driveline-driveshafts-and-loops-driveshaft-shop-c-576_932_6510_6517/dss-05-09-mustang-gt-3-5-900hp-aluminum-driveshaft-p-28946

it should run on pump gas. what cr are you running? you'll have to have your tuner turn off engine light indicator when he tunes it. jared can hook you up with a 1pc ds, we are running the DSS

http://www.lethalperformance.com/05-09-mustang-gt-driveline-driveshafts-and-loops-driveshaft-shop-c-576_932_6510_6517/dss-05-09-mustang-gt-3-5-900hp-aluminum-driveshaft-p-28946

Its a 9.1 cr on somewhere around 20lbs of boost!! and okay so when the tuner disables it itll stay off?? and thats exactly the drive shaft i was looking at!! do yall like it reall well?? easy installation??

I know it's kind of off topic but at what hp & torque will that Ram twin disc clutch hold up to?

How's the pedal feel on a twin disc and lastly is your SGT a daily driver or weekend warrior?

The website said 1000 hp. The pedal feel was slightly stiffer but only slightly!! and she was a daily driver, but after all this she'll prolly just become a weekend warrior.

Interesting Read...Hey Joey......Gary Here.......I could have had Keith build you a strong bottom end like on Michelle's car. sounds like you are having fun. Yes...Manny can tune it.

Gary

garyy whats up?? you at autorama this weekend?? Yea the reason i went with MMR for the bottom end was they were having a black friday special on all there motors and 10% dicount on the extra options you added so i couldnt pass up that deal.

Archived