TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Whipple or Kenne-Bell

I'm going to S/C my car this spring and i don't know which s/c to go with. I'll probably go with Quantum in Dallas. They like the Whipple best but i think it's because the install is suppose to be easier. Since there are a lot of s/c's out there now, maybe i can get some good feed back.

Brave soul, if you are going to Quantum.

I have the KB on my SGT. The truth is, you are going to like what you get. All of these power adders provide more than enough additional horsepower. In my experience, the KB does not produce the whine that the Whipple does (at least the whine those on the outside of the car car hear). Some like the whine, others do not. Some also like the fact that Ford Racing is, well, part of Ford, so it seems natural to put that on the car, especially when it has been shown to be a great product. I do not envy you your decision but the good news is that you cannot make a "wrong" choice.

Edit: One of the things I liked about the KB was from where it gets its air supply. Low behind the front facia is cold as you are going to get and that is important to me but, maybe, not to others.

Jim

Both the KB and Whipple are nice units. I chose the FRPP/Whipple because of what I paid for it (nice discount) and havent heard any complaints about the unit. I first had the non intercooled SC and of course got greedy wanting more power and just installed the intercooler, fuel pumps and so on. Both units will give excellent down low torque which is what a 3,600+lb. mustang needs. Im going to be shooting for 11 second quarter mile times this spring with a automatic SGT. Good luck on the purchase.

Brave soul, if you are going to Quantum.

Jim, what's the beef with Quatum? I've spoken to them a couple times (they are in my back yard) about future upgrades and for recomendations on other venders and I didn't get any bad vibes.

It seems everyone is pretty content with what ever they have. I'm not bias about one or the other. Roger at Shelby Int. has the Kenne- Bell and seems very pleased with it. How much h.p. are we seeing out of the Whipple and the K/B. The KB seems to have a little less h.p. than the Whipple but i don't think i would notice it if you are talkin 15 or 20 hp.The K/B also seems to be a little cheaper so i might have a little extra for some more mods. I'm also planning on some dash gauges. Also i have heard some bad comments about Quantum but i don't want to ship to Vegas. Decisions-decisions.

It seems everyone is pretty content with what ever they have. I'm not bias about one or the other. Roger at Shelby Int. has the Kenne- Bell and seems very pleased with it. How much h.p. are we seeing out of the Whipple and the K/B. The KB seems to have a little less h.p. than the Whipple but i don't think i would notice it if you are talkin 15 or 20 hp.The K/B also seems to be a little cheaper so i might have a little extra for some more mods. I'm also planning on some dash gauges. Also i have heard some bad comments about Quantum but i don't want to ship to Vegas. Decisions-decisions.

did you ask Roger why he switched to the KB? he was one of the first to have the FR/Whipple

Jim, what's the beef with Quatum? I've spoken to them a couple times (they are in my back yard) about future upgrades and for recomendations on other venders and I didn't get any bad vibes.

Get in touch with Chris Carter (drhvac). He is one of the more recent folks with a nightmare tale. I lived it with him. He will do a better job than I telling the whole story. In my experience, the cardinal sin in the speed shop business is b.s.ing your customers and, near as I can tell, Quantum has done this with multiple customers over an extended period of time. That is not to say there are not satisfied customers who have used Quantum because there are. Anyway, when you get in touch with Chris, you will find him to be a great guy.

Jim

Do i lose my lower lights if i go the K/B. I know i loose the strut tower brace if i go the Whipple but don't really care about it anyhow.

Yes. When I left my car at SAI in January 2008 (after the first Bash), it was to have the Paxton on it and I was getting the brake ducts and the lower lights. When the paxton could not pass CARB, I had to choose between the KB and the Whipple. Right out of the box, I was told that the KB could not have the lower lights. That was okay with me because they never did that much for me (personal preference) and I REALLY wanted that fresh air pick up down low behind the front fashia.

I don't think there can be any meaningful differences in horspower because of all the variables inherent in dyno testing different cars on different dynos under different conditions. Plus, you can always change horsepower with a change in boost but then you need to save up for your engine rebuild. You can see in my signature what I have with my KB and that was with a fairly tight (as in new) motor. Another thing I liked about the KB was that the torque numbers were a bit higher and, physics being physics, that was important for a car that weighs what these car weigh.

Jim

I went with a whipple Its a better kit plus its a ford racing product and comes with everything (plugs gt 500 fuel pumps mafs nicer pully and more hp on average) I have helped/seen a ton of installs to me the only choice was a whipple... but as whith any which is better, this one comes down to money and choice

Get in touch with Chris Carter (drhvac). He is one of the more recent folks with a nightmare tale. I lived it with him. He will do a better job than I telling the whole story. In my experience, the cardinal sin in the speed shop business is b.s.ing your customers and, near as I can tell, Quantum has done this with multiple customers over an extended period of time. That is not to say there are not satisfied customers who have used Quantum because there are. Anyway, when you get in touch with Chris, you will find him to be a great guy.

Jim

Quantum does need to improve their customer relations. They are nice enough in person. However, I was told my dyno results would be e-mailed to me. I had requested they put them on my USB drive while I was there; but, I guess that was too much trouble for them. After sending a couple of reminders, I still haven't received them. I did get a paper printout at the time; but, dammit this is 2010. I'm not going to mention any names. I was there on Jan 4th. There was a black SGT there getting a SC installed. I wasn't able to get the CSM #. I was told it was from Oklahoma.

I went with a whipple Its a better kit plus its a ford racing product and comes with everything (plugs gt 500 fuel pumps mafs nicer pully and more hp on average) I have helped/seen a ton of installs to me the only choice was a whipple... but as whith any which is better, this one comes down to money and choice

Agreed that was my reason for going with Whipple also, a little more expensive, but actually Cheaper if the KB came with a kit as complete as the Whipple.

Just my 2 cents, you will be happy with either.

I am in the process of installing thre whipple 550 on my 2007 SGT.

Like you, i started out aksing questions and then started doing my homework. I pulled the whipple (rev2007) install manual off the internet and read it and then walked through the process of the install on the car. (could not find the KB manual on the internet) What I found led me the whipple path due to my personal preferences and the air inlet install is less intrusive than the KB. Of course you give up colder air by going with the whipple. Actually I like the looks of the KB better as well as the the cooler air however there were other things I liked better about the whipple. I agree with others that it really depends on what you want as both of these are good products.

I purchased my whipple from Lethal Performance (listed on thre forum) at a very good price. I started the installation yesterday. I worked yesterday about 6 hours and then about 5 hours today. I still have to do the following; fuel system, connector wiring, final fluids and then a good going over the entire install as a final review prior to turning the key. (still waiting on PCM from Whipple, should be here Monday or Tuesday) The whipple has proven to be pretty easy so far. There is room for improvemnet in the instructions and the marking of the parts/pieces however you can figure it out it just takes more time. They do an excellent job of packaging the kits.

I checked on SAI doing my install and I could not justify that kind of money for a tag on my inter-fender that stated "Factory Supercharged". My hat is off to those that can afford it but I just could not swing that kind of money on an s/c as well as the cost of tranporting the car back and forth. I also checked at Qautamum and my conversations with them did not go very well after the first call. Can't say anything bad about them other than I just did not have a good feeling. I checked with my ford dealer here and got a good price. After seeing who and how they would do the nstallation I was not pleased.

So I decided to do it myself as I am very anal about things being done correctly and better than I found it. For example, on the connector brackets on the back of the engine, the instructions have you simply leave these hanging or wire tie them one you remove the bracket with the intake. I made a bracket to re-install these for correct fit and to prevent premature heat damage. There are other small things like this that I am doing as I go along to make minor improvements.

If you decide to do the install yourself and go with the whipple I can send you pics and help you understand some of the instructions and parts as well as share some of the improvements I have made verses the typical install per the manual. I have appreciated others taking the time to share and help me and will pass along the same if needed.

It will be this coming week-end before I can get back to the installation but hope to wrap it Saturday. Once completed I plan on posting the installation and pics on the forum for others than may want to use anything that I learned as I much appreciate what others have shared.

My main concern at this time is the belt tensinsior as the factory one seems to not work to well. I'll be watching that.

Speaking of the belt installation!!! I have already noted that the belt rides at the very inter-edge of the drivers-side 100mm Smooth Idler pully. I can rotate the enigne via pull bar / socket on the crank and when I center the belt it rides to the inside. It does not get off the pully but right on the edge verses the middle like all the other pullies on the belt installation. I may post a topic on this if it seems to be a problem. Too early to tell at this time.

Good luck with your choice. I can't wait to smell the rubber burning once my installtion is successful.

-Billy

Can't wait to see your install pix and tips! That'll be cool!

:lurk:

Jer

Back when I was deciding on which one to go with, I found this document... I ended up going with the Edelbrock because of its design, but I did find this very informative. Please understand, I am not bashing either product, whatever you go with you will love the extra power regardless.

Jim

KBvsWhipple.pdf

Back when I was deciding on which one to go with, I found this document... I ended up going with the Edelbrock because of its design, but I did find this very informative. Please understand, I am not bashing either product, whatever you go with you will love the extra power regardless.

Jim

Jim, your document is one of the reasons I went with the whipple. Someone on the forum sent me a copy and it helped me in the decision making process.

I also looked at the Edelbrock and there are some guys out there getting really good numbers with relatively lower boost than the whipple or KB. That in itself is a very good reason for the Edelbrock. . Actually I do not doubt that the Edelbrock is a better design as the main design engineer designed the saleen blowers for several years. I realy appreicate the design of the eldbrock and think it to be a better design than either the KB or the Whipple. I took a very hard look at this system but I just could not go that route due to me not liking the looks of the system. I simply did not like the looks and gave up what I would consider to be a better design of the Edelbrock. My friend is sold on the looks of the Edelbrock and is installing one on his GT this spring.

Good luck with your Edelbrock system. I would apprciate any numbers such as hp, torque at given boost. If you could share these it would be interseting to compare with those of us within the forum. I see all kind of numbers from rescpective companies but yet to have seen any numbers from one of our team members.

Thanks,

-Billy

Jim, your document is one of the reasons I went with the whipple. Someone on the forum sent me a copy and it helped me in the decision making process.

I also looked at the Edelbrock and there are some guys out there getting really good numbers with relatively lower boost than the whipple or KB. That in itself is a very good reason for the Edelbrock. . Actually I do not doubt that the Edelbrock is a better design as the main design engineer designed the saleen blowers for several years. I realy appreicate the design of the eldbrock and think it to be a better design than either the KB or the Whipple. I took a very hard look at this system but I just could not go that route due to me not liking the looks of the system. I simply did not like the looks and gave up what I would consider to be a better design of the Edelbrock. My friend is sold on the looks of the Edelbrock and is installing one on his GT this spring.

Good luck with your Edelbrock system. I would apprciate any numbers such as hp, torque at given boost. If you could share these it would be interseting to compare with those of us within the forum. I see all kind of numbers from rescpective companies but yet to have seen any numbers from one of our team members.

Thanks,

-Billy

I had the Edelbrock installed (to get the warranty) back in July. The numbers with the Street kit (5 lbs of boost) were 400hp and 399tq on a Mustang Dyno, which is very conservative (more so on this particular dyno from what I understand). I'd guess the TQ is dead on and the "real" HP on other dyno's would be 415-425 HP at the wheels. I love the look of the Whipple, but also love the look of the Edelbrock, here's a pic. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack this Gentleman's post.

Jim

post-20282-126505497634_thumb.jpg

post-20282-126505497634_thumb.jpg

I think that each Company's power adder is going to leave you a happy person. I have watched as several have struggled with the decision. (including myself)

The power curve of the Kenne Bell SC, which was mentioned by Clark17357, is quite impressive - the torque is almost instant to 400+ lb ft. The Kenne Bell SC is stealth quiet until you get up into the higher rpm ranges. The Whipple SC does have a notible whine throughout the rpm range, and many prefer that.

I think that if I were to ever have the $$$ to get the GT/SC upfit done - I would be going for the Whipple. Based on the equipment that comes with the kit, that and the fact that Ford played a part in design & performance of the unit is important to me. That's not to say that you have to pick the Whipple because I have, or because most people seem to be picking that unit over another. It's a matter of how much $$$ you have and what you are looking for. Street cred? Any one of them, Whipple, Kenne Bell, Edelbrock, Turbonetics, Paxton, will be enough to keep the rif-raf off your tail. Track performance? Well - here's where the ammendments to the mod list may never come to an end.

I wish you the best of luck as you go through this process - I envy you for the ability to get this done to your car right now. Let us all know what your decision is!

Trevor

I had the Edelbrock installed (to get the warranty) back in July. The numbers with the Street kit (5 lbs of boost) were 400hp and 399tq on a Mustang Dyno, which is very conservative (more so on this particular dyno from what I understand). I'd guess the TQ is dead on and the "real" HP on other dyno's would be 415-425 HP at the wheels. I love the look of the Whipple, but also love the look of the Edelbrock, here's a pic. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me, I don't want to hijack this Gentleman's post.

Jim

Jim:

I too like the looks and design features of the Edelbrock. Lower boost and low noise are also attractive, as is the marginally lower price as compared to the Whipple. Mine's a daily driver (for now) and I don't need track level HP. I'd certainly like to keep up with the 2010's though!! Looking at your picture it appears you're able to keep the Shelby strut brace. Is that the case? Sadly, install is above my level of expertise so will need to find an authorized installer in North Florida. Targeting this year to get it done (fingers crossed).

Randy

Jim

Enough of this misleading information.

There WILL be an upcoming factual comparison between the Kenne Bell 2.6 and smaller Whipple 2.3 Mustang 3V Gt kits. More than just misleading and/or “old” photos. This comparison will contain the actual flow numbers and engineering data instead of photos that lead one to believe that “bigger is always better”-when it is not.

Then there’s the obvious, which is so often overlooked in these comparisons like the hood OPEN vs hood CLOSED dyno tests that give Kenne Bell kits a 30HP advantage. Yes, 30HP! Who drives their car around with the hood up so as to not lose the 30HP? And why does everyone dyno test a Whipple with the hood UP?

There’s more.

1. KB 2.6L vs Whipple 2.3L (2.8 uses less engine HP to drive)

2.KB optional competition inlet system.

3.Kb filter and canister aren’t under hot hood so don’t heat soak and suck in hot underhood air. Yes it requires a little more time to remove the front valance to locate the filter into cool air but again-it’s 30HP!

4. The KB stock filter box is to restrictive, they say? That’s a good one! It flows over 1000 cfm. May want to look into a good flow bench and ditch the camera. The entire Whipple inlet system flows 734 cfm @28"H 20 with the stock throttle body. The Kenne Bell modified stock filter box with filter flows over 1000 cfm @28" H2O!! Oops!

We only mention of few facts in our defense to illustrate just how misleading and confusing dissecting and comparing supercharger kit components can be.

Then there is the total B.S. and lying that we must comment on briefly.

1. No, the Kenne Bell BOOST-A-PUMP “Doesn’t reduce fuel pump life” B.S.!

Even Ford agrees!

2. No, the Mafia isn’t a “poor way of tuning” Not if a company does it’s own in house tuning and doesn’t have to rely on the OEM to tune their kits.

3. No, the under valance filter “is not very acceptable to water damage”. B.S. Not one single case in the 35 years we’ve been doing this type of cold air kit.

4. Anyone the least bit knowledgeable in intercooler design knows THICKER (all else equal) cores actually flow LESS air than thinner cores. We make 1000HP with our intercoolers so something is working. So the Whipple core flows Less air than the KB and has a higher pressure drop. Oops!

5. Even the wrong KB heat exchanger and pump are pictured.

This type of bogus info, first circulated by Tasca Ford and shouldn’t be allowed. It was banned once but it is back. We know prepared it. Kenne Bell has no choice but to respond with photos and comparison test data.

Who in their right mind would suggest the manifold port be LARGER THAN THE HEAD PORT as shown in the photo. Ever hear of port matching? The biggest mistake that can be made in manifold head/port design is for the manifold port to be LARGER than the head port. The manifold air runs into the 4 walls around the head port. THAT is what’s restrictive. The manifold ports should always be slightly smaller than the head ports (as with the Kenne Bell design) to avoid this.

More photos coming......

Jim Bell

There WILL be an upcoming factual comparison between the Kenne Bell 2.6 and smaller Whipple 2.3 Mustang 3V Gt kits. More than just misleading and/or “old” photos. This comparison will contain the actual flow numbers and engineering data instead of photos that lead one to believe that “bigger is always better”-when it is not.

Then there’s the obvious, which is so often overlooked in these comparisons like the hood OPEN vs hood CLOSED dyno tests that give Kenne Bell kits a 30HP advantage. Yes, 30HP! Who drives their car around with the hood up so as to not lose the 30HP? And why does everyone dyno test a Whipple with the hood UP?

There’s more.

3.Kb filter and canister aren’t under hot hood so don’t heat soak and suck in hot underhood air. Yes it requires a little more time to remove the front valance to locate the filter into cool air but again-it’s 30HP!

4. The KB stock filter box is to restrictive, they say? That’s a good one! It flows over 1000 cfm. May want to look into a good flow bench and ditch the camera. The entire Whipple inlet system flows 734 cfm @28"H 20 with the stock throttle body. The Kenne Bell modified stock filter box with filter flows over 1000 cfm @28" H2O!! Oops!

We only mention of few facts in our defense to illustrate just how misleading and confusing dissecting and comparing supercharger kit components can be.

Even Ford agrees!

2. No, the Mafia isn’t a “poor way of tuning” Not if a company does it’s own in house tuning and doesn’t have to rely on the OEM to tune their kits.

3. No, the under valance filter “is not very acceptable to water damage”. B.S. Not one single case in the 35 years we’ve been doing this type of cold air kit.

4. Anyone the least bit knowledgeable in intercooler design knows THICKER (all else equal) cores actually flow LESS air than thinner cores. We make 1000HP with our intercoolers so something is working. So the Whipple core flows Less air than the KB and has a higher pressure drop. Oops!

This type of bogus info, first circulated by Tasca Ford and shouldn’t be allowed. It was banned once but it is back. We know prepared it. Kenne Bell has no choice but to respond with photos and comparison test data.

Who in their right mind would suggest the manifold port be LARGER THAN THE HEAD PORT as shown in the photo. Ever hear of port matching? The biggest mistake that can be made in manifold head/port design is for the manifold port to be LARGER than the head port. The manifold air runs into the 4 walls around the head port. THAT is what’s restrictive. The manifold ports should always be slightly smaller than the head ports (as with the Kenne Bell design) to avoid this.

More photos coming......

Jim Bell

It's about time, I knew you were doing something right.

There’s more.

Even Ford agrees!

More photos coming......

Jim Bell

I am not sure how you could argue the point the Whipple is a more thought out complete kit. That is why I went Whipple, I would do it again in a second. I have nothing against the KB, I considered it. Just my 2 cents, you would be much better off telling us all the positive things about your product and admitting the competition has its strengths as well. When all of your posts are combative it does not help your cause, you appear to take everything personally, not a good trait for someone in your position. Makes you sound very imature.

Take it for what it is worth.

WOW what a comparison its like the ford/chevy wars my KBblower is better than your Whipple!!!

My whipple @ 10 psi is 512rwhp. Ford chose Whipple for a reason... and who cares if Ford does the tuning Ford is a major player and has the resources to do it and do it righttheir engine and their blower(ford racing!!! .And as a side note if FORD says boost a pumps are so good why do they use two pumps in all their applications?

So the filter located where you guys put it sucks up nice cold las vegas/arizona 115+ degree air and we know the roadsand strip here get close to 180 in our cities!!!!!!

But in the end for the average consumer, the whipple kit is designed better (with FORD) and includes the items needed to complete the install (plugs,pumps,mafs)Plus it requires no modification to the headlight bucket. and god knows the pulley is made with more thought and better looks!

Im sure Dustin or someone will have to reply to the previous post....

WOW what a comparison its like the ford/chevy wars my KBblower is better than your Whipple!!!

My whipple @ 10 psi is 512rwhp. Ford chose Whipple for a reason... and who cares if Ford does the tuning Ford is a major player and has the resources to do it and do it righttheir engine and their blower(ford racing!!! .And as a side note if FORD says boost a pumps are so good why do they use two pumps in all their applications?

So the filter located where you guys put it sucks up nice cold las vegas/arizona 115+ degree air and we know the roadsand strip here get close to 180 in our cities!!!!!!

But in the end for the average consumer, the whipple kit is designed better (with FORD) and includes the items needed to complete the install (plugs,pumps,mafs)Plus it requires no modification to the headlight bucket. and god knows the pulley is made with more thought and better looks!

Im sure Dustin or someone will have to reply to the previous post....

I do not think Dustin or anyone that wants Whipple sales should respond, this guy is doing them a great service. I for one would not buy a product that has folks like this representing them. I am not sure if he is the same person that has responded to other posts, but every single KB rep I have seen post has been this way, maybe it was him every time, I did not pay attention.

I do not think Dustin or anyone that wants Whipple sales should respond, this guy is doing them a great service. I for one would not buy a product that has folks like this representing them. I am not sure if he is the same person that has responded to other posts, but every single KB rep I have seen post has been this way, maybe it was him every time, I did not pay attention.

+1

You have got to be kidding me,I do not understand the continuing attacks on Kenne Belle Super chargers; I do think they have a right to defend their self. It would piss me off also, after the great job on the SuperSnakes and the Don Prudome car, I have yet to see anyone who has a KB badmouth Whipple on these forums, Yet the whipple people arrive in full force when there is a post about KB vs Whipple and take their shots . The modification to the headlight bucket, who cares, I can’t even see that on my car, The pulley that looks like it belongs on a swamp cooler, PLEASE, It took me 5 minutes to polish it and it looks great, The parts to buy to finish the install? Plugs, if you can’t afford plugs don’t get a S/C, Iam sure they could include this in there kits at cost, but really who cares about these minor items, I do have a question for people who have a whipple, Have you ever owned a KB? And why was it a horrible experience , Then you all say how ford this and ford that, hell I don’t even know how many parts on my car are from mexico or china and I don’t care. I do know this as soon as I open my hood it looks great, it’s a Shelby with a KB and runs like a champ , when are we going to start a Whipple vs Paxton thread????

Archived