TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT500 Versus Saleen S281 Extreme Coupe

Is anyone familiar enough with the Saleen S281 Extreme Coupe to compare it to the GT500? I am not interested in which which one is more expensive or collector value I would just like to know how much faster is the Saleen? Does the Saleen really weigh 500 LBS less? What about Quarter mile times if both are stock? Does the Saleen out handle the GT500? Thanks

Is anyone familiar enough with the Saleen S281 Extreme Coupe to compare it to the GT500? I am not interested in which which one is more expensive or collector value I would just like to know how much faster is the Saleen? Does the Saleen really weigh 500 LBS less? What about Quarter mile times if both are stock? Does the Saleen out handle the GT500? Thanks

I cant wait to get answers and opinions on this one. I love the GT500 but the Saleen does seem to be more performance bred. IMO. PLEASE CHALLENGE IT :finger: ... so that I get raw facts on the comparison lol :happy feet:

Sorry, I can't help you. Once I saw that the Saleen was about $15,000 more than a GT500 I stopped researching it....and I didn't like the looks as much either. It was an easy call for me.

Dave

I personally dont know too much about the saleen, but i believe that even if it is faster than the gt500... with that extra 15 grand u save by getting a gt 500 you could make the gt500 faster than the saleen could ever hope to be.

...............Or $800 !!!! :hyper: Sorry, Saleen nice for those that like but I'm not a bodykit type person..........for any car. if you don't like the body how it came out of the factory, you bought the wrong car !!! My opinion

Here is some information I looked up.

GENERAL

Curb Weight, lb. est 3550

Weight Distribution, F/R 53/47

ENGINE

Horsepower est 550 bhp

Torque est 500 lb-ft

Saleen Intercooled Supercharger Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler

SPEED

0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds

1/4 mile in 12.1 sec at 117 mph

Here is some information I looked up.

GENERAL

Curb Weight, lb. est 3550

Weight Distribution, F/R 53/47

ENGINE

Horsepower est 550 bhp

Torque est 500 lb-ft

Saleen Intercooled Supercharger Saleen Series VI Integrated TwinScrew Supercharger With Two-Stage Water-To-Air Intercooler

SPEED

0-60 mph in 4.5 seconds

1/4 mile in 12.1 sec at 117 mph

Not sure which of the S281 lines you looked up...but I looked at the "medium" line S281, and the HP was not what I saw on their website. Take a look at http://www.saleen.com/s281_coupe.htm. They show 465 HP, 425 lb*ft of torque.

The "extreme" version seems to have the specs you mention...I'm sure it's more than the $15k over the GT500 that I had mentioned.

Dave

Here I sit on the other side of the table looking at the GT500s :hysterical: I own an '06 Saleen Extreme, sadly I haven't driven a GT500 so I can't give you a direct comparison. As for the cost issue, the Saleen wasn't that much more than what my local guy was asking for the GT500 including ADM. The Extreme is also not for sale in Canada (I had to import it) so there is a uniqueness factor. The body kit is a personal taste issue and won't affect performance (although the rear diffuser is supposed to help keep the tail down at high speed). The engine is smaller, but the parts are all forged and Saleen is coming out with one (or even two apparently) upgrade kit(s) which can put the hp to 600/(650).

As far as I'm concerned, both are awesome cars, I'd never put down one over the other as they are simply different flavours of the same vision.

Sorry I don't have any 1/4 times to give out, I haven't had the car long enough to get it to a track. Looking forward to the spring though...

0-60 on the 2007 Saleen Extreme is claimed by Saleen as 4.1. It is as much faster 0 to 60 over the Shelby as the Shelby is over a standard Mustang GT. I have driven both cars extensively - unfortunately I have not had my G-Tech in them, so I can't spout specific numbers, just my seat of the pants judgement. Both cars are awesome and fun to drive. Yes, the Saleen Extreme is WAY FASTER than the Shelby in acceleration, it brakes harder, and as far as handling goes, the Extreme is in a whole different class from the GT500. Yes, it ought to be for the difference in price. Keep in mind the Saleen has a twin screw blower, 15" brakes, Max Grip Speed Sensitive LSD 4.10 rear end, upgraded cooling, tons of suspension parts, much more supportive seats, carbon fiber air splitter & diffusers (which it needs as there is no speed limiter on this car) and lots more. There will only be a couple hundred produced each year. They are priced in the ballpark with the Z06 and Viper, as they should be. The Saleen SC (465 HP) is a more direct competitor to the Shelby, in performance and price, especially with some of the ADM's people are paying for the Shelby.

The GT 500 has lots of potential for big power with just a few mods. No question. Both are great looking cars, but they are different cars. I am anxious to drive a GT 500 with gears, CAI, tune & exhaust. I know it will be a monster.

My viewpoint on all of this - the Saleen is a ready made road course car. A rediculously fast sports car. The Shelby is the all-American muscle car. A fast, sturdy powerhouse. Both cars will smoke the tires at will. Both will top 100 mph before you can shake a stick. Both will make your passengers cry for mercy before you get a mile down the road. Both carry the legendary name of a great race car driver/designer. But they are different cars.

0-60 on the 2007 Saleen Extreme is claimed by Saleen as 4.1. It is as much faster 0 to 60 over the Shelby as the Shelby is over a standard Mustang GT. I have driven both cars extensively - unfortunately I have not had my G-Tech in them, so I can't spout specific numbers, just my seat of the pants judgement. Both cars are awesome and fun to drive. Yes, the Saleen Extreme is WAY FASTER than the Shelby in acceleration, it brakes harder, and as far as handling goes, the Extreme is in a whole different class from the GT500. Yes, it ought to be for the difference in price. Keep in mind the Saleen has a twin screw blower, 15" brakes, Max Grip Speed Sensitive LSD 4.10 rear end, upgraded cooling, tons of suspension parts, much more supportive seats, carbon fiber air splitter & diffusers (which it needs as there is no speed limiter on this car) and lots more. There will only be a couple hundred produced each year. They are priced in the ballpark with the Z06 and Viper, as they should be. The Saleen SC (465 HP) is a more direct competitor to the Shelby, in performance and price, especially with some of the ADM's people are paying for the Shelby.

The GT 500 has lots of potential for big power with just a few mods. No question. Both are great looking cars, but they are different cars. I am anxious to drive a GT 500 with gears, CAI, tune & exhaust. I know it will be a monster.

My viewpoint on all of this - the Saleen is a ready made road course car. A rediculously fast sports car. The Shelby is the all-American muscle car. A fast, sturdy powerhouse. Both cars will smoke the tires at will. Both will top 100 mph before you can shake a stick. Both will make your passengers cry for mercy before you get a mile down the road. Both carry the legendary name of a great race car driver/designer. But they are different cars.

VERY well put. Saleen is an all out PERFORMER. GT500 is an all out MUSCLE. However, modifying the GT500 similar to an E, should and will put our more power and over all performance...should it not. Power, is hidden in the 5.4. Handling, if Saleen did it all from a bone stock Mustang GT...they should be able to do it from a bone stock GT500. Just wonder how much MORE $$$ it will cost. IMO

Here I sit on the other side of the table looking at the GT500s :hysterical: I own an '06 Saleen Extreme, sadly I haven't driven a GT500 so I can't give you a direct comparison. As for the cost issue, the Saleen wasn't that much more than what my local guy was asking for the GT500 including ADM. The Extreme is also not for sale in Canada (I had to import it) so there is a uniqueness factor. The body kit is a personal taste issue and won't affect performance (although the rear diffuser is supposed to help keep the tail down at high speed). The engine is smaller, but the parts are all forged and Saleen is coming out with one (or even two apparently) upgrade kit(s) which can put the hp to 600/(650).

As far as I'm concerned, both are awesome cars, I'd never put down one over the other as they are simply different flavours of the same vision.

Sorry I don't have any 1/4 times to give out, I haven't had the car long enough to get it to a track. Looking forward to the spring though...

Got any pics of your E?

nice post. thanks for your opinion.

a E convert is 100k list

$75600 is MSRP on the vert actually. If you don't like the Saleen, all I can say is chaque a son gout. I'm not sure your local depreciation rate (that GT500 depreciation rate, is that with or without ADM?) would pan out nationally, or in my case internationally. There simply haven't been enough Saleen E models produced to make a hard call on overall depreciation rates (not that it would matter to me, I'm keeping this one until I'm 6 feet under, and then my sons can fight over it).

I like the Silver. Looks like you have the 7 spokes? What other Equipment do you have or recommend? Thanks

The chrome rims and the rear 1/4 window inserts were the options on the car. I picked up the car out of inventory so the options had been chosen already by the dealership. At first I wasn't too sure if I liked the colour, but it works perfectly with the chrome rims and now I've grown accustomed to it :)

Very nice car.

I wouldn't call that a "body kit". It is mostly replacement parts. Very tastefully done, I might add.

Body kits, to me, are add-on crap that ricers like to use.

"chaque a son gout"

???

Thanks for the kind words, Blue.

chaque a son gout means each to his own (correct spelling is actually Chacun à son goût but my French spelling is horrible :( )

Smoothy: Nice car! Thanks for the pics!

I like what Saleen does mechanically, its no doubt that Saleens are badass cars that are well engineered and tuned. The thing that keeps me from ever considering them seriously is the price and the body work. I really like an old school aesthetic. If Saleen made a car with the mechanicals of Smoothys car with the body of a bone stock Stang GT except for nice tires and rims, priced around 50-55...I might could go for that. Talk about sleepers heh! :shift:

KC666

Archived