TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Why buy a 2010 GT500?

alvinlee888

Hi Guys,

Having choose between Euro Sports Car or Japanese Sports Car...

What made you buy a 2010 GT500 or a GT500 of any year?

Thanks for the reply.

540hp for 50K. Ford History. Have always loved Mustangs and I wanted a car I could work on myself and modify.

M.

I looked seriously at a GT-R. I visited a lot of GT-R boards to get up to speed on owner experiences. I was ultimately turned off by the level of maintenance required on the car. Plus the fact that the warranty was easily voided by mods. With my GT500 I can run the heck out of it and not have to worry about it being covered.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

In a word....FUN! I own a 2006 M3 and a 2007 E550 and they'r e both fun, but the GT500 is a different beast. Have also owned six different vettes over the years. For me it's all about being fun to drive vs. status, ETs, etc.. and the SGT is a lot of fun!

I fell in love with the GT500's when they came out in 07, I have a 06 Mustang GT and didn't think at the time I could afford a GT500. Also I live in a small town and I am one for buy it at home so I just kept drooling over them until my home town dealer got a new 2010 GT500. I bought it the day after they put it on the show room floor. I couldn't be happier.

In a word....FUN! I own a 2006 M3 and a 2007 E550 and they'r e both fun, but the GT500 is a different beast. Have also owned six different vettes over the years. For me it's all about being fun to drive vs. status, ETs, etc.. and the SGT is a lot of fun!

I'm sort of wondering also as is the OP of this thread.

but the GT500 is a different beast.

Different how?

Thanks.

-Pockdog

I looked seriously at a GT-R. I visited a lot of GT-R boards to get up to speed on owner experiences. I was ultimately turned off by the level of maintenance required on the car. Plus the fact that the warranty was easily voided by mods. With my GT500 I can run the heck out of it and not have to worry about it being covered.

So was I. I had a dealer calling me once a week trying to move one at 2k under MSRP (which was still $77k). Then I did some research..OMG here's the first service breakdown:

Tranny Fluid 10 qts @ $114. a qt. (Not a type o) + $500 labor.

Oil 6 @$7 qt. (not bad) BUT $150 labor

Engine cabin filters $150 + $115 labor

Total parts and labor for ROUTINE (spell that REQUIRED or warranty is voided) over $2000.

And let's not forget, when it needs a brake job it gets ALL NEW rotors. No turning allowed.

And I thought KR parts were expensive.

So was I. I had a dealer calling me once a week trying to move one at 2k under MSRP (which was still $77k). Then I did some research..OMG here's the first service breakdown:

Tranny Fluid 10 qts @ $114. a qt. (Not a type o) + $500 labor.

Oil 6 @$7 qt. (not bad) BUT $150 labor

Engine cabin filters $150 + $115 labor

Total parts and labor for ROUTINE (spell that REQUIRED or warranty is voided) over $2000.

And let's not forget, when it needs a brake job it gets ALL NEW rotors. No turning allowed.

And I thought KR parts were expensive.

Yup I had sticker shock. I could handle the price of the car but not the price of the standard upkeep. That's why I call it the Japanese Ferrari!

I'm sort of wondering also as is the OP of this thread.

Different how?

Thanks.

-Pockdog

More raw power, brute force, loud. Really stimulates the senses. Great blend of old school (as in the shifter, loud V8, styling) and modern tech (like the synch system, usb port for tunes, jukebox). Don't get me wrong I love the M3 and the MB but they have different personalities. You might say they are more refined and precise, which is cool, but sometimes you just want that raw, loud, on the edge fast experience that the GT500 does so well. Here's what I told my wife and she thinks I'm CRAZY, and she's right. My Mercedes is like my classy wife, beautiful, smooth, comfortable, someone I can spend my life with and depend on, my BMW is more like my mistress, younger, a little wild and crazy, fun, fast and beautiful but not quite as mature and refined as the MB. The SGT, she's just a flat out whore. Pure senual pleasure. I know. I'm a sick man!

It's the most intimidating, refined muscle car out there, which is easily modified to personal taste (if your an andrenline junky).

I bought the GT500 because it is North American muscle rather than a sports car and that is what I grew up with and like. The GT500 is easily scalable in horsepower and torque. Then there is the iconic status and prestige of owning a Shelby Mustang that you will not get owning say a GTR or an overrated BMW.

It boils down to buying what you personally like and if you have a 1% doubt, then it is advisable to keep searching until you know absolutely for sure what you want, jmho.

Rod

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply.

Guilt and curiosity primarily and remorse after the fact.

Guilt, because these companies needed desperate help.

Curiosity - having never owned a RWD with more than 100hp or whatever 1600cc in a Toyota Corona equaled .

Remorse - after billions being given the U.S. Automobile Companies these CxOs still walked away with millions in bonus where they should not have received a penny for their performance operating their companies with losses to the PNL.

Do you want my checklist? It's much less than the Camaro fiasco, but higher than any German car I owned.

Guilt and curiosity primarily and remorse after the fact.

Guilt, because these companies needed desperate help.

Curiosity - having never owned a RWD with more than 100hp or whatever 1600cc in a Toyota Corona equaled .

Remorse - after billions being given the U.S. Automobile Companies these CxOs still walked away with millions in bonus where they should not have received a penny for their performance operating their companies with losses to the PNL.

Do you want my checklist? It's much less than the Camaro fiasco, but higher than any German car I owned.

Great replies !!! I couldnt wait to hear from the others too.

Thank you so much Sirs !!! I live in Asia so theres like a handful of GT500 owners here.

Sir SmellSoGood, what checklist? If there is, please let me know.

Im 80 percent sold already. Yes I am a 34 years old idiot who being in Asia grew up with Euro and Jap sports car but going 5.4 540 raw HP pretty soon =)

I have a motorcycle to go fast in so for me it was more about looks. I considered a vette, but the body style looks dated and resale is not that great. Seems like I see a vette on a daily basis. I've only seen one GT500 in my normal day to day driving. I briefly considered a gtr, but they were a fair amount more money. I had heard they were having some problems with launch control or transmission malfunctions of some sort. BMW M3 or Porsche cayman S.... I figured I will pick up one of these when I'm older and need something more refined.

I have a motorcycle to go fast in so for me it was more about looks. I considered a vette, but the body style looks dated and resale is not that great. Seems like I see a vette on a daily basis. I've only seen one GT500 in my normal day to day driving. I briefly considered a gtr, but they were a fair amount more money. I had heard they were having some problems with launch control or transmission malfunctions of some sort. BMW M3 or Porsche cayman S.... I figured I will pick up one of these when I'm older and need something more refined.

Can I have the definition of "older" please? :redcard:

I have a '67 convertible so partial to Mustangs. Bought a '98 SVT Cobra 'vert brand new - believe they put SVT cars together better then the run of the mill GT's. I never had an issue with the '98 - just normal maintenance. Sold it w/over 90k miles.

I thought about changing mustangs when the GT500 first came out. Then seriously considered a used one vs 2010. Decided on the 2010 because of - better wheels, nicer interior, like the front end better, stripes on seats, and 540 HP. Saw one in person at Barrett Jackson and that sealed the deal - ordered when I got home. Plan to keep 10 years or more.

Also considered a new M3 (much more $), used M3 (only 333 hp), or a used 911 (not that special and $)

Since owning there isn't much I'd change - love the electronics package, raw power, styling, cloth top, exhaust note, etc.

The suspension for me is a little rough on less than perfect roads - don't plan to race (I have a race go-kart for that)

Traction is an issue if you get on the gas - but then you do have over 500hp

Back up camera would've been nice

Warmer weather in Iowa so could drive year round

These are special cars.

I can't think of any other car for under 100,000 that has as much style as the GT500. 500-540hp for 47k is also a good bargain. Knowing that you can upgrade to 600-700hp for little money was a real dealbreaker for me.

I've got 19,900 miles on my Shelby driven off the showroom floor. The GT500 has a real solid build quality, really impressed. Great reliability, strong motor, all around fantastic car. Love it.

Archived