TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another ************* Clone

James  Hill

Well, one part was right. In the first ad, he said something like, "You will never see another car like this." Wonder if Shelby Licensing would approve of him advertising it as a Shelby?

Jim

He does break it down later to admit it's a Shelby Appearance package, but still....

I have seen actual Shelby GT for sale oh here with less milage for just a little more than they're asking.

As others have said "The greatest compliment is imitation" 1965 - 1970 Shelby owners have delt with this all along. Those cars look pretty nice. The coolest thing about a 67 GT500 clone is you can put any engine you want, rack and pinion steering and have a car that looks as good as anything without hurting the value of the real deal. Plus they get driven. It's not cheap to have a nice clone and it's not hurting anyone.

Wow, I'm speechless on that quote.

You may misunderstand me or I didn't communicate that very well or both. I think the nice looking clones are great first because they are driven and people get to see what the real deal looks like. I also think they are great because the originaly designed GT500s are the best looking mustangs ever built, a clone allows modern tech with clasic looks without destroying an original car.

Edit: Not always hurting someone.

This is in Ask seller a question in the first link you know what they say about opinions

Q: Just onequestion, is this a real Shelby or just a clone/ tribute? Don't know too much about these later year mustangs so I hope the question makes sense. Jan-24-10

A: The Shelby package in this year is more of an appearance package. I would would consider this a Tribute car because the appearance package was not done at Shelby racing. In my opinion it looks better than the Shelby's that they did. I had most of the updates done after it came from the factory as a GT. Feel free to call me at (913)271-7100 Thanks,Jason

You may misunderstand me or I didn't communicate that very well or both. I think the nice looking clones are great first because they are driven and people get to see what the real deal looks like. I also think they are great because the originaly designed GT500s are the best looking mustangs ever built, a clone allows modern tech with clasic looks without destroying an original car.

Ahhh, I think I got it now :)

I took it you meant the selling of those two fakes on ebay were not huring anybody and that's where I went huh?

Thank you for adding to your post.

Steve

As others have said "The greatest compliment is imitation" 1965 - 1970 Shelby owners have delt with this all along. Those cars look pretty nice. The coolest thing about a 67 GT500 clone is you can put any engine you want, rack and pinion steering and have a car that looks as good as anything without hurting the value of the real deal. Plus they get driven. It's not cheap to have a nice clone and it's not hurting anyone.

+1

On the cover of Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords this month is an '05 Ragtop (not a CS6 or CS8) that claims to have been moded by Shelby. :redcard: It was actually moded by a Shelby Authorized Dealer in Arizona. Tributes and clones I'm fine with as long as it doesnt make claim to actually being a Shelby, this '05 in the mag claims to be a Shelby and that really puts my panties in a bunch! :rant2:

It is a common problem with many Shelby owners that there cars were ment to be garage decoration. They were all ment to compete and be affordable. It is great they actually brings some good numbers today, so people park them. Ultimately were all mortal and you will die or you will get to old to enjoy the cars before you relize you owned them and never enjoyed them. My father gives me crap daily about how I am ruining the valve of my Shelbys by improving them. I keep them looking like they did and I keep them 8v. But that's about it and I race the crap out of them, they have a lot of rock chips. You can't take your money with you when you die, so you might as well scare the crap out of your self often driving your real shelbys.

As for the clones, stupid. Many of these people are spending thousands and lots of time on a clone. Then selling them. A big waste of time and money, and many Shelby packages aren't that expensive. I know a lot of import fools that spend a lot more money trying to run 12s in a rice burner that what Shelby charges for a CS6 or 8. Nothing like spending the money and ending up with crap that breaks and doesn't work right lol. For 90%+ it is just cheaper to make them real with shelby..

You all still don't get it!

SA (SPP) and Ford SELL most of the parts that SAY S H E L B Y or the Snake/Cobra badging to the PUBLIC!! These and not exclusive parts only meant to go on our SGT's or GT500's. Just get over it, SA and Ford are all about making a buck, if you have a bitch take it up with Amy and Ford and ask them to stop selling these parts to the general public. And stop complaining about the people that buy the parts.

Oh by the way, good luck getting them to stop trying to make money...

I'm only annoyed by the blatantly bad "clones" that are a disgrace to the shelby name. I'm cool with the guys that use the fascia, and have no shelby or cobra snakes on fenders...

Imagine how annoying it was to be at a show, and have a '05 V6 automatic in the gt500 area... That was insulting to gt500s everywhere...

I'm only annoyed by the blatantly bad "clones" that are a disgrace to the shelby name. I'm cool with the guys that use the fascia, and have no shelby or cobra snakes on fenders...

Imagine how annoying it was to be at a show, and have a '05 V6 automatic in the gt500 area... That was insulting to gt500s everywhere...

That would be very annoying! I really don't have a problem with the tribute cars that get creative and do their own thing and create cool looking one off cars. Not all are well done. These cars on Ebay are fine other than they should not have the word Shelby in the title of the ads. When asked they should tell people its a tribute. Its the clones that copy a GT500 exactly so you can't tell its not a GT500 without opening the hood or looking inside that I can't stand. Nothing creative about that. They are just posers.

If you really look at it, the crafstmanship isn't great on this one. Look at the spacing of "SHELBY" on the decklid-the E is in between the stripes and the letters aren't straight. On the photo with the hood up, it soesn't even appear the stripes ine up correctly from the hood to the roof (which could be a byproduct of the angle of the photo) and the shaker cutout appears to be a little crooked on the hood.

The bad thing about clones is the uneducated masses flocking to them thinking they are the real deal. There is a GT500 clone around here that still has the v-6 wheels and single exhaust-my SGT was in a local show only 4 cars down from the pretender and people were gathering around it like it was a KR or SuperSnake and I actually heard one person call mine a clone, that was the point at which I started pointing out which car was a REAL Shelby.

Can I put a different spin on things here?

What about a guy like me who always wanted a 1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe? Well, only 6 were ever built and are worth MILLIONS. The only way is for me to own one is to build my own. That is what i'm actually doing now, building my own. The car i'm building will be as close to an original as practical. By looking at the car, it'll look close to an original but, if you're a true "Daytona fan", you'll know it's not an original aluminum bodied car. The Daytona coupe i'm building is not a "kit" nor is it a car that uses a "donor" car.

So, my question to the masses here is: Are there any differences between a "Replica", "Clone" or "Tribute"?

Don't you think insulting is a little bit of an exageration. You know it's not a GT500. Other car buffs will know it's not a GT500. Likely y'all will just kinda of snicker and laugh at that person. I agree, if someone is trying to sell and profit by deceit there's no place for that. But if it is clearly a clone/tribute, or someone just wants to feel cool by putting some freely available parts on their car, let them. I mean really, is owning a GT500 really a reason to act so elitist? Yes, I just said that. I have an '08 GT500 vert and I think the cloners are kinda fun. Get an Enzo or a DB9 or a Bentley or a Rolls if you want to be an elitist. :censored:

If you really look at it, the crafstmanship isn't great on this one. Look at the spacing of "SHELBY" on the decklid-the E is in between the stripes and the letters aren't straight. On the photo with the hood up, it soesn't even appear the stripes ine up correctly from the hood to the roof (which could be a byproduct of the angle of the photo) and the shaker cutout appears to be a little crooked on the hood.

The bad thing about clones is the uneducated masses flocking to them thinking they are the real deal. There is a GT500 clone around here that still has the v-6 wheels and single exhaust-my SGT was in a local show only 4 cars down from the pretender and people were gathering around it like it was a KR or SuperSnake and I actually heard one person call mine a clone, that was the point at which I started pointing out which car was a REAL Shelby.

Sounds to me that you might be a little bit Jealous that they flocked to the V6 Car with Shelby insperation and were not flocking to yours, a real Shelby. The Clones, or partial Clones are not hurting anyone. They build them because that like it and they are cheaper. There is no Shelby Clone on the road that will make your Real Shelby any less Valueble. If The Clone sells for 5 times what yours would sell for, it does not make yours less valueble, it just means someone wanted the Shelby Clone more, thats all. You talk about the "Un-Educated".......have you tried to Educate them about Shelby's and Clones? What I hate most when I am at a Car Show is listening to other people that are showing a Vehicle, "Cut Down" someone elses Vehicle. As far as those two Mustangs at the beginning of this thread, both Cars have been wrecked and it is just as cheap to by Cervini's Parts as it is to buy Ford Parts (maybe cheaper) to replace the damaged parts. Plus, there is that old addage......"BUYER BEWARE".

Insulting to GT 500's everywhere?????? I don't see how it is insulting to any GT 500's or to the owners. It is a Car.

You can put the fascia's on, change the wheels, new hood, add stripes ect.........

I have an issue when the "Shelby" name gets put on the car. No dought the people that own these cars love them very much. Just don't display the name SHELBY, when it is not the real thing. Make it look like one all you want, just don't use the name.

You can put the fascia's on, change the wheels, new hood, add stripes ect.........

I have an issue when the "Shelby" name gets put on the car. No dought the people that own these cars love them very much. Just don't display the name SHELBY, when it is not the real thing. Make it look like one all you want, just don't use the name.

Again, you should point your frustrations towards SA (Amy) and Ford....... They SELL these parts to the general public, there's a reason for this, to make MONEY. They (SA/Ford) could care less if every mustang built since '64 had Shelby lettering/badging on them. That's just more cash in the corporate coffers.

So what do you expect the people that buy these parts to do, pay for them and then let them sit on a shelf in their garage? Give me a break... What's next, not allowing someone who drives a Mustang GT to purchase a Shelby t-shirt because they don't own one?

Be secure in your Shelbyhood.... You know and I know the difference between what's real and what's not....

I would agree with this. I think that people cross the line when they try to pass their car off as a Shelby, when it's not. You see this a lot at car shows and eBay auctions that use deceptive wording in the description. But, I don't feel too sorry for the victims of such frauds as there are an abundant amount of resources to confirm or refute a car is a Shelby. Shelbymotorsport posted in another thread that he had to tell two people just last week that the cars they bought were in fact not Shelbys. To me, the problems with the clones and tributes really start when the cars are being sold and with subsequent owners who really believe they own a Shelby.

well i didn't post pictures of the v6 from the show. it only had a lot of shelby stickers, large snake sticker on side, etc. There is a difference between clones, tributes, and just plain rice insults.

i'm not elitist in anyway, it was just an annoying day as owning an alloy/silver i was accused of having a clone and not real gt500, and everyone thought this guys car was a real shelby, with a v6, auto, etc.

i personally don't care about people thinking my car is a clone, but i was just adding an experience that they let these bad fakes into shows along side the real ones.

in regards to the older cars being built as tributes, that fine., in 40 years, it will be nice to see modern gt500 tributes, as long as they are accurate and not blatantly wrong, or ugly like some of these people's attempts, or claims to having something authentic...

Archived