TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Another ************* Clone

James  Hill

You can put the fascia's on, change the wheels, new hood, add stripes ect.........

I have an issue when the "Shelby" name gets put on the car. No dought the people that own these cars love them very much. Just don't display the name SHELBY, when it is not the real thing. Make it look like one all you want, just don't use the name.

What about a guy like me who's building a 1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe. Should I opt not to install the "Daytona" script on the front fender because it's not one of the 6 original cars?

Again, you should point your frustrations towards SA (Amy) and Ford....... They SELL these parts to the general public, there's a reason for this, to make MONEY. They (SA/Ford) could care less if every mustang built since '64 had Shelby lettering/badging on them. That's just more cash in the corporate coffers.

So what do you expect the people that buy these parts to do, pay for them and then let them sit on a shelf in their garage? Give me a break... What's next, not allowing someone who drives a Mustang GT to purchase a Shelby t-shirt because they don't own one?

Be secure in your Shelbyhood.... You know and I know the difference between what's real and what's not....

I ain't no Shelbyphobe, I am secure in my Shelbyhood... hysterical.gif

Sounds to me that you might be a little bit Jealous that they flocked to the V6 Car with Shelby insperation and were not flocking to yours, a real Shelby. The Clones, or partial Clones are not hurting anyone. They build them because that like it and they are cheaper. There is no Shelby Clone on the road that will make your Real Shelby any less Valueble. If The Clone sells for 5 times what yours would sell for, it does not make yours less valueble, it just means someone wanted the Shelby Clone more, thats all. You talk about the "Un-Educated".......have you tried to Educate them about Shelby's and Clones? What I hate most when I am at a Car Show is listening to other people that are showing a Vehicle, "Cut Down" someone elses Vehicle. As far as those two Mustangs at the beginning of this thread, both Cars have been wrecked and it is just as cheap to by Cervini's Parts as it is to buy Ford Parts (maybe cheaper) to replace the damaged parts. Plus, there is that old addage......"BUYER BEWARE".

You completely missed the mark on me here. I'm not jealous of his car or it's attention at all. If I were interested in a car with Shelby inspirations, i would have bought or made one, I didn't, I bought the real deal because that's what I liked and I wanted. Fact of the matter, I know I own a Shelby and he knows he has a clone, so actually it is he who is jealous of the Shelbys not I. It just amazes me that there are people around that see cobras and automatically ASSUME it's a Shelby. I spend a lot of time at the shows and cruise nights I go to telling people all about and answering questions about the SGT. People think a cobra badged v-6 is a Shelby, but an SGT isn't due to the lack of them. There are only two SGT's around here and the other is a garage queen that never sees the light of day. There are very few GT500's that you see around here either. So yes, I do spend time educating people about Shelbys (as a matter of fact, I educated the owner of the other Shelby GT in town about what he had, because he thought he was just buying a mustang and didn't know what he had until I told him about them-the dealership where I bought mine sold him his and directed him to me to learn all about it) and how to spot a clone-in my opinion, it's not cutting down someone else's car to point out the differences between it and the real deal. In the case of this particular car, you can simply point out the wheels and single exhaust as indicators-how is that "cutting down" another car?

As far as clones-clone away. It's your car, do what you want. Just don't try to pass it off as something it's not. That's my biggest gripe. Don't fill out a show board that says 2008 Shelby GT500-call it what it is 2008 v-6 Ford mustang--Shelby GT500 clone/replica/tribute/appearance package/car with Shelby aspirations-you pick the wording. You are right-cloning doesn't hurt anyone or decrease the value of the real deal-the misrepresentation of them is what is harmful to the masses who know nothing about the cars, brand, etc.

As far as clones-clone away. It's your car, do what you want. Just don't try to pass it off as something it's not. That's my biggest gripe. Don't fill out a show board that says 2008 Shelby GT500-call it what it is 2008 v-6 Ford mustang--Shelby GT500 clone/replica/tribute/appearance package/car with Shelby aspirations-you pick the wording. You are right-cloning doesn't hurt anyone or decrease the value of the real deal-the misrepresentation of them is what is harmful to the masses who know nothing about the cars, brand, etc.

+1

Again, you should point your frustrations towards SA (Amy) and Ford....... They SELL these parts to the general public, there's a reason for this, to make MONEY. They (SA/Ford) could care less if every mustang built since '64 had Shelby lettering/badging on them. That's just more cash in the corporate coffers.

So what do you expect the people that buy these parts to do, pay for them and then let them sit on a shelf in their garage? Give me a break... What's next, not allowing someone who drives a Mustang GT to purchase a Shelby t-shirt because they don't own one?

Be secure in your Shelbyhood.... You know and I know the difference between what's real and what's not....

Agian, my problem is when they put the Shelby name on it, and try to pass it off as real. Yeah, I know and you know its not real, but thats not the point. The point is don't put the Shelby name on a car that is not a Shelby.

What about a guy like me who's building a 1965 Shelby Cobra Daytona coupe. Should I opt not to install the "Daytona" script on the front fender because it's not one of the 6 original cars?

I would love to have a Daytona Coupe. If I were to be able to have one, I would pick Superformance. They are by Pete Brock the original designer, and blessed by Shelby himself. This goes for the Cobra Roadster also. I would not call those cars a clone at all. These types of cars I would refer to them as "repli-cars". And now days Shelby will sell you a new roadster, which I consider the "real deal".

I guess it comes down to people a getting screwed thinking they are getting a real Shelby. Yeah, I guess they should have done some research before they bought the car, but is the person that built the car and named it a Shelby a little at fault also?

PS........I am secure in my "Shelbyhood" :hysterical:

Agian, my problem is when they put the Shelby name on it, and try to pass it off as real. Yeah, I know and you know its not real, but thats not the point. The point is don't put the Shelby name on a car that is not a Shelby.

Then please, please complain to Amy and Ford for selling the parts and not the people they allow to buy them.........

As a matter of fact, a former member of my local MCA club that owns a slightly modded plan Jane 302 '67 vert that not only has GT fog lights and other GT badging along with several classic Shelby badges on the car, guess what he has a picture of none other than Mr. Shelby sitting in his car signing the glove box cover. So if the man himself doesn't have a problem with it why should anyone else?

As a matter of fact, a former member of my local MCA club that owns a slightly modded plan Jane 302 '67 vert that not only has GT fog lights and other GT badging along with several classic Shelby badges on the car, guess what he has a picture of none other than Mr. Shelby sitting in his car signing the glove box cover. So if the man himself doesn't have a problem with it why should anyone else?

Fair enough. BTW.....love your CSM #.

In 06 when Gt500s where going for high ADMs I saw a Redfire GT500 at Rockingham NC it had Steeda rims on it but other than that it looked like a GT500 guy was asking $38k for it. The kicker was after I caught him on the fact that Redfire was not a color option for a GT500. The real story was it was a GT500 drive tran and ECM in a original V6 car. I got the real story but not before I also got told the lie he was going to be able to change the vin over after he retitled it. I knew what it was when I walked up to it he got a salvaged car and built a clone and was hoping to sell it to a unsuspecting person. It the 65-70 mustangs lots of cars have been tweaked options added interiors changed and if you try hard enough you can get a fresh door vin tag to reflect whatever you want it to.

This problem will always be around no matter what is done, as someone already stated real car people know the difference between models. A Vin number helps settle whats real and whats not in most cases and some people could care less about what is real and what is not they only know they like the way it looks. Going to local car shows or cruise ins is for fun. And if I'm buying something like a Shelby or whatever I'm going to be very well informed about it before I buy it.

Fia, we need more Daytonas out there make it kick ass :D

WHY ARE THESE ANY DIFFERENT? :headscratch:

1967 Shelby G.T.500CR Authentic GT500CR

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1967-Shelby-G-T-500CR-Authentic-GT500CR_W0QQitemZ290396223042QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Cars_Trucks?hash=item439cf6b642#ht_3410wt_1167

The body style isn't made anymore...just putting different parts 40 years later on a old Mustang.

Ohhh 1967 Shelby G.T.500CR Authentic GT500CR :finger:

Now I get it $$$

Archived