TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Rear End Whine Just Started

lawdude

Noticed it on the highway. I have about 1500 miles on it. In 2003 I bought a new Explorer that developed a similar whine shortly after I bought it. Took it to dealer who fixed it - for a while anyway. The whine returned and I've been trying to ignore it ever since.

Is this just the way Fords are or should I take it to the dealer to check it out?

Noticed it on the highway. I have about 1500 miles on it. In 2003 I bought a new Explorer that developed a similar whine shortly after I bought it. Took it to dealer who fixed it - for a while anyway. The whine returned and I've been trying to ignore it ever since.

Is this just the way Fords are or should I take it to the dealer to check it out?

1300 miles on mine and no whine. Id go have them ck it out for sure.

Take it to your dealer, that's what they are there for. If there is a problem it will be covered under your warranty so no use fretting over it.

.02 worth.

Friction modifier should fix it.

Thank everyone for their responses. To those who let me know that my dealer does warranty work, I want to give a special thanks and ask a question. Am I actually supposed to take the car to the dealer or can this matter be handled via my wifi connection?

you're probably going to have to take to the car to the dealer so they can take it out for a drive to hear it and diagnose everything accordingly

Thank everyone for their responses. To those who let me know that my dealer does warranty work, I want to give a special thanks and ask a question. Am I actually supposed to take the car to the dealer or can this matter be handled via my wifi connection?

you could try the wifi first above 10,000

Edit: on a serious note, 10 min to add the modifier and take it from there.

Come on to Perry and lets find out whats making that noise!!!

If you do the modifer and it doesnt work give me a call and Ill SEND after the car. I got an older fellow that will come get it and bring it back.

Let me know if you want me to do that

MM

10-4. Thanks Michael.

A whine is not normal.

And friction modifiers are for the clutches in the limited-slip unit, to keep them from chattering when you make sharp turns.

A tight gear makes a whine, a loose gear makes a click.

A bearing on the way south will also make a whine.

I'd have the fluid level checked first thing but having said that, the gear lube doesn't just mysteriously dissappear so unless you can see a leak, it's not *likely* low fluid level. Next to check would be the pinion nut torque.

Bottom line, your dealer warranty should take care of it. I've just given you some ammunition do you don't go in blind and let them pull the wool over yer eyes (i.e. BULLSHIT YOU).

A whine is NOT 'normal', no mater what they tell you. If they say that (and I've seen it a hundred times) ask them why your car wasn't acting 'normal' for the first 1500 miles when it DID NOT whine!?

I was a Master Tech for longer than most of you guys have been alive. Been there, never 'done that' myself because I believe there is too much *honest* money to be made without BSing some poor smuck that is putting his/her trust into me. I don't need to rip you off to make a decent living but I can't say that for a majority of my associates I've worked with.

Just CYA and you'll be fine....

HTH,

Phill Pollard

Let us know how you make out after a visit to your dealer. Very curious how they end up handling this..

I also have gear whine on deceleration in 5th and 6th gear. I will be taking it in to the dealership as soon as the winter junk clears off of the road. I am interested as well. When I had this problem on my 03 Cobra they replaced the entire axle assembly which is what I expect here...I have not had success with them trying to replace gears.

• 4 weeks later...

Just saw the TSB on axle whine - my car already has the tuned dampers installed, so I guess they'll have to do "normal diagnostics per Workshop Manual, Section 205-00.

BTW, anybody know what Section 205-00 says to do?

It's a very long and involved step by step trouble shooting guide to figure out what is wrong and how to fix it.

A whine is not normal.

And friction modifiers are for the clutches in the limited-slip unit, to keep them from chattering when you make sharp turns.

I'd have the fluid level checked first thing but having said that, the gear lube doesn't just mysteriously dissappear so unless you can see a leak, it's not *likely* low fluid level. Next to check would be the pinion nut torque.

Bottom line, your dealer warranty should take care of it. I've just given you some ammunition do you don't go in blind and let them pull the wool over yer eyes (i.e. BULLSHIT YOU).

A whine is NOT 'normal', no mater what they tell you. If they say that (and I've seen it a hundred times) ask them why your car wasn't acting 'normal' for the first 1500 miles when it DID NOT whine!?

I was a Master Tech for longer than most of you guys have been alive. Been there, never 'done that' myself because I believe there is too much *honest* money to be made without BSing some poor smuck that is putting his/her trust into me. I don't need to rip you off to make a decent living but I can't say that for a majority of my associates I've worked with.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

It can`t be a tight gear as he didn`t have the problem of whine until after 1,500. Possible bearing?

A whine is not normal.

HTH,

Phill Pollard

It can`t be a tight gear as he didn`t have the problem of whine until after 1,500. Possible bearing?

Don't forget a TSB just came out for rear diff leakage. Check that axle vent and see if you're dropping fluid. Like others have said, the friciton modifier fix is only for the tight turn noise that they ALL make. Rear end whine while going straight is not good under any circumstances.

Archived