TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Fuel Rails Discoloring

mullens

Anyone else have this issue? The fuel rails seem to be discoloring. Nothing functional, but I've never seen this before. I think they're just painted.

012.jpg

008.jpg

mine looks fine--have 1800 miles on mine.To me it looks like the paint is just being "boiled" off by heat.When was your car built--wonder if it was a bad batch of paint,or just bad prep.My 65 GTO does this on intake manifold, and the only fix was using exhaust paint,let it dry/cure then put the engine paint on.Actuall,y the pure metal color looks better than the paint,IMHO

PS___I ONLY LOOKED AT PASSENGER SIDE RAIL, BUT RIGHT SIDEW IS DOING THE SAME THING AS YOU DESCRIBED,IE PAINT BURN OFF

Anyone else have this issue? The fuel rails seem to be discoloring. Nothing functional, but I've never seen this before. I think they're just painted.

012.jpg

008.jpg

How did you get paint on your rails. I removed mine a couple of weeks ago and they are all metal, no paint.

As previously stated, it's normal.

012.jpg

008.jpg

Mine have done the same thing, exactly, and DAMN - are they an eyesore... I spoke to the dealer, they said it was normal, but that if I wanted them changed they could do it (possibly) under warranty, and that YES its going to happen again. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go with some FORE billet rails from Lethal, with that nifty adapter kit it seems like it should be a no-brainer install... (I hope). Just need to figure out what the "E-Series coating" is, and what parts need to come off before you can remove the old ones and install the new ones...

Mine have done the same thing, exactly, and DAMN - are they an eyesore... I spoke to the dealer, they said it was normal, but that if I wanted them changed they could do it (possibly) under warranty, and that YES its going to happen again. I'm just gonna bite the bullet and go with some FORE billet rails from Lethal, with that nifty adapter kit it seems like it should be a no-brainer install... (I hope). Just need to figure out what the "E-Series coating" is, and what parts need to come off before you can remove the old ones and install the new ones...

The "E-Series" coating is a protective finish which is used for people that run E-85. It's basically a nickel style coating that will protect the rail from corroding as E85 can be corrosive to non treated aluminum over time. The E Series coating however can be used for regular gasoline applications without any issues. We ran them on our 08' GT500 and they looked sick.

rails003wi6.jpg

As far as installation goes if you have the stock blower or TVS they can be installed without removing the blower. You just need unbolt the plenum and TB from the the blower and then you have access to the rails on both sides. Then make sure to route the crossover safely away from the EGR assembly and tube. Lastly use teflon paste on the (2) 1/8" NPT plugs to ensure they don't leak when you install them onto the rail.

Hope that helps.

Jared

The "E-Series" coating is a protective finish which is used for people that run E-85. It's basically a nickel style coating that will protect the rail from corroding as E85 can be corrosive to non treated aluminum over time. The E Series coating however can be used for regular gasoline applications without any issues. We ran them on our 08' GT500 and they looked sick.

rails003wi6.jpg

As far as installation goes if you have the stock blower or TVS they can be installed without removing the blower. You just need unbolt the plenum and TB from the the blower and then you have access to the rails on both sides. Then make sure to route the crossover safely away from the EGR assembly and tube. Lastly use teflon paste on the (2) 1/8" NPT plugs to ensure they don't leak when you install them onto the rail.

Hope that helps.

Jared

Thanks Jared, don't know why I'm so intimidated about taking on this MOD... LOL... Oh, maybe its the flammable gasoline thing, etc... I LIKE the look of that E-Series coating. Thats the way I'm going when the Spring gets a bit closer...

GUS

Jared is that a 2.9 Whipple you have those installed with? The reason I ask is that a member on another forum had a heck of a time installing the Fore rails on his 2010. He had to move the crossover to the front because there was no room to put the nipples on the back due to the EGR.

Jared is that a 2.9 Whipple you have those installed with? The reason I ask is that a member on another forum had a heck of a time installing the Fore rails on his 2010. He had to move the crossover to the front because there was no room to put the nipples on the back due to the EGR.

That's a 3.4L and yes we now know that in order to put them on a 2.9L the crossover needs to be in the front instead of the rear due to where the EGR assembly is located.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks, Jared

Archived