TEAM SHELBY FORUM

KR Extended Warranty

STCOBRA

My dealer told me the same thing

I was told the same. In fact, we discussed how the 2000 Cobra R didn't even come with the basic 3 yr / 36000. The KR came with the basic, but no extended warranty available. Interesting. Old Lugs, either our dealers were wrong or yours was...I wondered if he wanted to sell you one because they are used to doing that, but if he had checked into it he would have discovered it wasn't an option? Who knows.

• 2 months later...

I PM'd Michael and did not hear anything back. I'm not sure why a KR owner couldn't get an extended warranty. The one I bought was inclusive for the supercharged engine too.

• 1 month later...

We did not buy an extend warranty for either the GT500 or the KR when we purchased them. I received a call from Ford just last week and was able to put a seven(7) year warranty on the GT500 but they would not sell one for the KR. The only reason they gave is that the car had been modified by Shelby and they would not cover the modifications since they were not done by Ford.

We don't put a lot of miles on any of them but it would have been nice to have had the extra peace of mind.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Ok, got official word about an extended warranty on a KR.

Simple answer = No

I'm holding in my hand a list of "Ineligible vehicles and usage" that the dealer made a copy of and gave to me. The following are listed:

Roush Stage 2

Roush Stage 3

427R

Saleen modified vehicles

Mustang Cobra R

Shelby GT-500KR

Supersnake

For those that somehow got coverage for their KR's, it's suggested you go back to the dealer that sold you the warranty and see if you can get your money back BEFORE you have to make a claim. Ford Motor Company WILL reject the claim once the Vin # is given.

I was told the dealer, even in selling it in error, should know once they register the Vin #. It's at that time they would know their mistake. The bottom line is...you can't get an extended warranty through Ford for your KR.

Check out the last page. It lists the ineligible vehicles.

http://www.factoryplans.com/assets/cms/files/ESPProgram.pdf

Btw, I asked about a warranty on a GT-500 and it was $305 for a 7 year plan, plus an additional $150 to have the super charger covered. So, $455 would cover a GT-500 for 7 years and 36k miles..

GT-500 extended coverage.

http://www.authorizedfordwarranties.com/cgi-bin/WebStore/indexNZ.cgi/layout=FLM/source=Ford_Shelby_GT500/gl=fgroup2.html

What doesn't appear to jive with the list of ineligible vehicles is any vehicle made for competitive driving/racing/off-road. This would disqualify any vehicle with a supercharger. So why would they have you check off supercharged option on the extended service plan. It also states that a GT does not qualify. I've had extended service plans on a GT before and knew many others who have as well. Something is fishy here! I will check into it on my end because I did get the service plan.

What doesn't appear to jive with the list of ineligible vehicles is any vehicle made for competitive driving/racing/off-road. This would disqualify any vehicle with a supercharger. So why would they have you check off supercharged option on the extended service plan. It also states that a GT does not qualify. I've had extended service plans on a GT before and knew many others who have as well. Something is fishy here! I will check into it on my end because I did get the service plan.

Gary, when they mention "GT", they're not talking about a Mustang GT. They're talking about the 2004-2005 Ford GT. Competitive driving/racing/off road are cars modified beyond their intended use.

You should check into it and see if the dealer made an error. I believe they did.

...they would not sell one for the KR. The only reason they gave is that the car had been modified by Shelby and they would not cover the modifications since they were not done by Ford.

Yep. That's the exact story I got from my dealer, and again when I called Ford SVT.

I hope this is incorrect, as I am one of those who purchased an Extended Warranty, Mainly for the super charger. But I will also try to investigate and let you know my findings...

banghead.gif

They simply do not cover the KR with an extended warranty...period. Also if you didn't know that if you purchase an extended warranty on any car and you trade it in or sell it. They have to give you back a refund of the unused portion of the warranty. Most people do not know that and they just give these dealers money without knowing. They will in fact stall and do everything not to give you back that money but they will cut you a check eventually.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up for new KR owners.

What were some of the outcomes to those that were sold an ESP plan through the dealership?

Has anyone gotten a full refund ?

-Joe

New here ...1st post.. owner of vista blue 09 KR #448

I just received my refund from the dealer where I bought the KR

It was a full refund, took about 7 weeks and few phone calls but really no problems

Good luck Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell us where you learned the warranty that you previously purchased was no good?

Glad to see you got your money back.

Good luck with your KR

EDIT to add: I see you purchased the KR I was looking at in VA. I ended up getting one closer to home.

- Joe

Ron,

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell us where you learned the warranty that you previously purchased was no good?

Good luck with your KR

EDIT to add: I see you purchased the KR I was looking at in VA. I ended up getting one closer to home.

- Joe

Ron,

Good luck with your KR

- Joe

Hi Joe, I called this Ford # 1-800-521-4140 and it took two people to get my answer, the problem is the vin# is for a gt500 and unless

the dealer or ford goes though a couple of computer screens to find the after market KR package they think it is ok to sell it.

Sorry about getting the one in VA first. What color did you get? Thanks Ron

Ron, thanks for showing the KR crowd the process for getting a refund if the dealer plays games.

As for the car you purchased, I was inquiring about it last October. I passed due to getting a similar deal for a car closer to my location. Like yourself, I got a Vista Blue KR.

Don't forget to register your car with Shelby. If you didn't do so already, take a look at the bottom of my "signature" line. You'll see a link there to register your KR.

- Joe

Archived