TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT500KR - * NEW * wheels and tires for sale?

robertlane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Guys, have been working with the Shelby team. They want $1,293.50 plus shipping for the one wheel. Does that price sound right??? Wow!!!

Steve

Why aren't KR owners going to Ford to buy these?

The KR is a PRE-title car so by law, Ford Motor Company has to deal with you. They can *try* to shift blame to Shelby but you didn't buy your car from Shelby, you bought it from Ford.

I know of at least one other item that Ford says is "restricted" but if you own a KR, Ford will sell it to you. They HAVE to.

Puzzled,

Phill

Why aren't KR owners going to Ford to buy these?

The KR is a PRE-title car so by law, Ford Motor Company has to deal with you. They can *try* to shift blame to Shelby but you didn't buy your car from Shelby, you bought it from Ford.

I know of at least one other item that Ford says is "restricted" but if you own a KR, Ford will sell it to you. They HAVE to.

Puzzled,

Phill

Phill, you may be correct, in that Ford probably could supply them... But I suspect that it would take three times as long to get a set through your Ford dealer (unless they're in stock), as it would to get them directly from Shelby.

Phil,

As far as I know, some parts you can't get from Ford, the KR rims being one of those items. Same goes for the hood.

Ford did not souce out to get these parts, Shelby did. The rims were made by Alcoa, the hood by Plassan. If you go to

the parts counter at Ford, I bet they don't have part numbers for those items. They wouldn't even know where to look to

get them.

I could be wrong, but that's how I've known it to be with those 2 parts as an example. Take the oil filler cap as another

example. You can't get the "KR" cap from Ford, just the plastic one.

- Joe

I agree with Robert Just like Harley Davidson does with its CVO motorcycles it protects the line and they require proof of ownership of those bikes before one can buy those parts.

BS! Harley will sell anybody any part for any bike. I've personally bought many CVO parts. Harley is more than glad to unload your wallet for ya.

BS! Harley will sell anybody any part for any bike. I've personally bought many CVO parts. Harley is more than glad to unload your wallet for ya.

But they won't work on Buells! Considering their sales are in the crapper, and their product line is stale...maybe they need to rethink this strategy, because apparently they don't like "Buell" money!

Next moto for me, BMW K1300S...something with some real engineering

OK, back to our regular scheduled :backtotopic: programming..

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, I want to thank you all for helping me get a wheel for my 2008 KR. I had several very nice offers. I replaced the damaged wheel just yesterday. Went to ballance the tire, and found it has a flat spot on it. Since it set for a long period of time without being driven (just started occasionally) they are all probably the same. I'll replace the tires some time, but since they ony have 122 miles on them they will do for now. Just get a little vibration whe I get up between 80 and 90 mph...

Buy the way, my name is Steve Kuhn, and I live in Bloomington Ilinois. I did have an '07 GT500 (Vista Blue/white stripes), but let it go when I discovered Ford was going to continue making them for some time. So, I looked at all of the current "muscle cars" (I like them all) to see if I could find one that not everyone could have. Well, the 2008 KR was it! Production limited to 1,000 units for the 40th anniversary. All of my buds were saying "wait until the 2013 GT500 comes out with 650 HP!!!" But I told them, you just don't get it. For me, I would rather have a very powerful ride that few people can own, vs one more powerfull, but anyone can own. I have to admit that I am a little surprised there are sooooooo many KRs for sale! However, I am also pleased because I got my 60 mile KR for half the price originally paid. :D

I also have a '69 Plymouth GTX that I drive (some) and show. All original, with #s matching drive train. 440, 4 speed, with Trac Pac (racing suspension). It has a lot of power, but the KR woudl kick its butt!

Steve

Congrats on your car Steve. The KR is really a great car. If you want as much or more power than a 2013 you can always install a TVS like I'm about to do in a few days. Then I'll have the best of both worlds.

Thanks 08KR525! Showing my ingnorance here, but what is a TVS? And does it nulify the factory warranty?

TVS stands for Twin Vortices Series and is a type of supercherger made by Eaton, that is more efficient that the standard GT500 blower. TVS is the blower type that will be factory installed in the 2013 GT500. Ford Racing Performance Parts offers one.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=10846

You can also go for the one VMP sells, which includes a 2.5" pulley and high flow elbow.

http://www.vmptuning.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=415&parent=88

This is a mod that I will eventually do to my KR too. Still hesitiating between the FRPP and the VMP...

This is a mod that I will eventually do to my KR too. Still hesitiating between the FRPP and the VMP

Do the VMP and re-badge it as a FRPP. You can get the aluminum FRPP badge online and stick it over the VMP. Best of both worlds IMO.

TVS stands for Twin Vortices Series and is a type of supercherger made by Eaton, that is more efficient that the standard GT500 blower. TVS is the blower type that will be factory installed in the 2013 GT500. Ford Racing Performance Parts offers one.

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=10846

You can also go for the one VMP sells, which includes a 2.5" pulley and high flow elbow.

http://www.vmptuning...d=415&parent=88

This is a mod that I will eventually do to my KR too. Still hesitiating between the FRPP and the VMP...

One thing to think about MAF range.

If you run anything more then a 2.6-2.65 on a TVS the maf/cai will need to be changed on the KR.(That pulley combo will basically put the MAF at it's limit/peg it)

Add a elbow and or a TB then a 2.7 pulley puts it close to it's limit

I have the FRPP TVS with vmp elbow, 2.65 pulley and Ford Racing TB. On datalogging my MAF read 4.8V max at wide open throttle. That is close to the 5V maximum limit on the KR. As long as MAF voltage stays below 5V you do not require a tune on the KR. The GT500 does require a tune.

IMG_6175.jpg

I have the FRPP TVS with vmp elbow, 2.65 pulley and Ford Racing TB. On datalogging my MAF read 4.8V max at wide open throttle. That is close to the 5V maximum limit on the KR. As long as MAF voltage stays below 5V you do not require a tune on the KR. The GT500 does require a tune.

IMG_6175.jpg

Very nice engine bay! I'm curious to know how much RWHP and torque you achieved with your current setup. I'm interested in adding the TVS with a smaller pulley on my KR also but read conflicting opinions on the need for a tune with this set up. Your experience seems to indicate that a TVS with a smaller pulley would do fine.

There are no conflicting reports about whether need to tune the KR with the tvs and a 2.72 pulley or bigger. No tune. :). But....if you're gonna put a 2.59 pulley, you will be very close.

Me personally, and it's just me, 2.72 is smallest I'm going to.

I'm interested in adding the TVS with a smaller pulley on my KR also but read conflicting opinions on the need for a tune with this set up. Your experience seems to indicate that a TVS with a smaller pulley would do fine.

There are no conflicting reports about whether need to tune the KR with the tvs and a 2.72 pulley or bigger. No tune. :). But....if you're gonna put a 2.59 pulley, you will be very close.

Could it be reasoned that while a TVS can be bolted on and run on a stock KR, the TVS could produce more horsepower with a custom tune? By simply bolting on the TVS, are you leaving horsepower "on the table" so to speak? I myself haven't seen a dyno sheet or datalogging that show the differences. I have seen dyno sheets of a TVS on a GT500 with a custom tune. The HP gain is significant.

dvups1,

Have you been following the Tune thread in the gt500 forum? Pages of discussion and open debate. I would pay particular attention to balckshelby, 68fastback, and materialdefender posts.

You own a kr. It was built as a sleeper, if you will; meaning, the car is sitting and waiting for the tvs, which the car should have come with RO begin with IMHO. And can be built out to 750hp safely....800 if you press it. With the stock kr tune. The procal tune, should you purchase it along with the tvs, but is not necessary with your kr, will keep the car 50 state legal in emissions. And will yield no more hp than the stock kr tune. The stock kr tune, btw, with the tvs, will still pass the actual emissions test. But if you get the one smog tester in 1000 that knows the tvs is not stock on the kr, at least in the state of CA, there would be problems. The procal tune provides the EO#, which the smog tester will want to see, if he knows the tvs isn't stock. It is the factory emissions certification. CA is both an actual smog test and a visual inspection for proper documentation.

To answer your question directly, no, there is no hp left on the table by going with an aftermarket tune. If you want more hp in a tune, add timing. Many aftermarket tuners set the timing at 24 degrees. A questionable practice; especially in a car without knock sensors. The KR doesn't have knock sensors.

You can also add hp by leaning the car out in adjusting the fuel maps.

You can do these things on your own with a handheld tuner. Diablo, SCT, etc.

Beyond timing and leaning the car out, strictly doing a tune and not swapping hardware to bigger injectors, MAF housing, tb, etc.... there is no mystery on getting more hp out of your KR. It has the hardware already installed....waiting for the tvs. It's a pity ford didn't put this on the car stock, to keep it in line with it's name as a King of the Road.

There is the Tune thread in the gt500 forum, and the Tuning the kr thread in the KR forum, which both have pages of info. Good reading!

I pretty much took this tune thing personally. Because aftermarket tuners tried to sell me their tunes, not in my best interests. But so they could make money. And that bothered me. As a result, I and others have spent a lot of time, telling KR owners in particular, the load of crap they were being sold on what they needed to do to their KR in even something as simple as swapping to a smaller pulley. Had I listened to their, "oh I'm only trying to prevent you from blowing up your engine", mantra, I would have been out 200-400 bucks for something I didn't need. Again, that bothered me. And I went public with the truth...to tell a Shelby owners what was really going on.

There is no hp left on the table by sticking with the factory ford tunes.

The stock kr tune, btw, with the tvs, will still pass the actual emissions test. But if you get the one smog tester in 1000 that knows the tvs is not stock on the kr, at least in the state of CA, there would be problems.

Terumi71,

I don't think you're giving CA Smog Techs their due respect. Just about *any* Smog Tech will know the TVS is a add-on and fail the car. That Ford Racing (or VMP) logo on the top and side of it is a dead giveaway.

If you look on your underhood emission label you'll see the required emission controll devices for the vehicle. Note where it says "SC". That's the Super Charger. That means that your Smog Tech is required to AT LEAST give it a visual inspection (EGR & EVAP require visual and functional inspectoins). Any Smog Tech that's doing his/her job will see the SC on the emission label then look at the SC...and see that nice pretty Ford Racing logo on it and fail your car under the visual inspection, continue the Smog Test and fail your car which will then require a repair of a visit to your local BAR Referee.

The EO# sticker will list the SC as a accepted mod. and the Smog Tech will continue with the test and PASS it on the visual. I can't remember if I had to note EO exemptions in the TAS or not, it's been awhile since I've smogged a car in CA.

HTH,

Phill

it's been awhile since I've smogged a car in CA.

HTH,

Phill

It's been eons since I smogged a car too...maybe because I don't keep them long enough...every couple of years I get the itch... :drool:

http://www.fordracin...tKeyField=10846

http://www.vmptuning...d=415&parent=88

Go with VMP's TVS kit +++.

I did: It's a great product and you get full support and true custom tuning from Justin! :worship:

http://www.vmptuning.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63742

And last but not least: It's a great deal too!

Phil,

I believe and trust your word 100%. If you say that smog check shops will know, I believe you completely. All the more reason that if you put the t s on in CA, you're gonna' need that EO# buy purchasing the procal tune with the tvs!

If you don't live in CA, and there is no visual inspection as part of the smog check in your state, tvs bolt and go is fine with the existing KR tune. Just want to make that clear to KR owners.

It's been 30 years since I held a current unlimited smog license here, in CA. When I was doing smogs, the visual inspection was not that intensive, especially for a regular customer's car, if you know what I mean...

If you're worried about it, just get a copy of the E.O. sticker that comes with a 50 state kit, and display it proudly. It's not that tough to make everything look proper. I doubt that any smog guy would question it, unless new, or recently busted by an undercover car. When your smog guy pops the hood and gawkes, immediately point to the E.O. sticker and tell him everything's legal. He just wants to make an easy buck. :)

dvups1,

Have you been following the Tune thread in the gt500 forum? Pages of discussion and open debate. I would pay particular attention to balckshelby, 68fastback, and materialdefender posts.

You own a kr. It was built as a sleeper, if you will; meaning, the car is sitting and waiting for the tvs, which the car should have come with RO begin with IMHO. And can be built out to 750hp safely....800 if you press it. With the stock kr tune. The procal tune, should you purchase it along with the tvs, but is not necessary with your kr, will keep the car 50 state legal in emissions. And will yield no more hp than the stock kr tune. The stock kr tune, btw, with the tvs, will still pass the actual emissions test. But if you get the one smog tester in 1000 that knows the tvs is not stock on the kr, at least in the state of CA, there would be problems. The procal tune provides the EO#, which the smog tester will want to see, if he knows the tvs isn't stock. It is the factory emissions certification. CA is both an actual smog test and a visual inspection for proper documentation.

To answer your question directly, no, there is no hp left on the table by going with an aftermarket tune. If you want more hp in a tune, add timing. Many aftermarket tuners set the timing at 24 degrees. A questionable practice; especially in a car without knock sensors. The KR doesn't have knock sensors.

You can also add hp by leaning the car out in adjusting the fuel maps.

You can do these things on your own with a handheld tuner. Diablo, SCT, etc.

Beyond timing and leaning the car out, strictly doing a tune and not swapping hardware to bigger injectors, MAF housing, tb, etc.... there is no mystery on getting more hp out of your KR. It has the hardware already installed....waiting for the tvs. It's a pity ford didn't put this on the car stock, to keep it in line with it's name as a King of the Road.

There is the Tune thread in the gt500 forum, and the Tuning the kr thread in the KR forum, which both have pages of info. Good reading!

I pretty much took this tune thing personally. Because aftermarket tuners tried to sell me their tunes, not in my best interests. But so they could make money. And that bothered me. As a result, I and others have spent a lot of time, telling KR owners in particular, the load of crap they were being sold on what they needed to do to their KR in even something as simple as swapping to a smaller pulley. Had I listened to their, "oh I'm only trying to prevent you from blowing up your engine", mantra, I would have been out 200-400 bucks for something I didn't need. Again, that bothered me. And I went public with the truth...to tell a Shelby owners what was really going on.

There is no hp left on the table by sticking with the factory ford tune

Ok, I believe I found the threads you were referring to. Good reading for sure. I certainly understand your point of view. Do you know of anyone who has bolted on a FRPP TVS (blower only with stock tune) and posted the results (dyno sheets/ data logs)?

I looked at both the KR tune and the Procal tune parameters line by line and they were practically indentical. I ran my KR with the stock tune and no problems. The data logging was with the Procal tune. And I don't really want to dyno my car, I know it's pushing alot of power!!

As YZD was asking, I have the TVS with a 2.65 pulley and the FRPP throttle body and a tune is not needed. While data logging, if I ran the MAF sensor to 5 volts, I need a new MAF sensor that could handle more airflow. With my setup, the voltage reached 4.8 volts max thoughout the data log. The KR tune and MAF sensor is capable of handling this setup.

The dyno with the tvs will be plenty of power. I would suggest strap it on and see for yourself! You'll be all smiles. Guarantee it.

Personally....and it's just me....I wouldn't let a tuner within 10 ft of my KR with tuning intent. Again, that's just me.

There is no reason for them to do anything to the KR. And they aren't going to gain any more hp than a stock tune unless they do it by timing and leaning the car out by fuel maps.

Buy it....you'll like it....hey Mikie!

Lol....I'm dating myself. That an old cereal commercial.

Archived