TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Installed Kicker DS680 Speakers Today

ShelbyCobra826

The are only $69 per pair from Crutchfiled, and that's the best $140 I've spent. The Shaker 500 speakers just didn't do it for me, and I wasn't looking for anything too high end, just cleaner highs and tighter bass. I expect that you can get them cheaper on eBay, but I wanted Crutchfield's master sheet and speaker wiring harnesses. If anyone wants an electronic copy of the master sheet...

Anyway, the install was a breeze, and I couldn't be happier with the improvement in sound quality.

Someday I'll get tired enough of the 8" "subwoofers" in the doors, but they are 1.2 ohm speakers, so simply replacing them isn't a viable option. Maybe I'll order the Kicker 4.1 amp and door subs, and I'd even consider their trunk sub if they'd make one that fits the 'verts.

The are only $69 per pair from Crutchfiled, and that's the best $140 I've spent. The Shaker 500 speakers just didn't do it for me, and I wasn't looking for anything too high end, just cleaner highs and tighter bass. I expect that you can get them cheaper on eBay, but I wanted Crutchfield's master sheet and speaker wiring harnesses. If anyone wants an electronic copy of the master sheet...

Anyway, the install was a breeze, and I couldn't be happier with the improvement in sound quality.

Someday I'll get tired enough of the 8" "subwoofers" in the doors, but they are 1.2 ohm speakers, so simply replacing them isn't a viable option. Maybe I'll order the Kicker 4.1 amp and door subs, and I'd even consider their trunk sub if they'd make one that fits the 'verts.

Interseted in this mod... Wife will never know...

Was this a plug and play or was there splicing involved?

Tom

Interseted in this mod... Wife will never know...

Was this a plug and play or was there splicing involved?

Tom

Had to bump. I had 666 posts. Did not want that there that long. lol

Tom

Definitely plug and play. The only "customization" that I had to do was to fold down the sixth tab on each of the speakers as the factory uses the four side tabs and not the top (5th) and bottom (6th) and the bottom of the speakers rest in a cradle, but these are thin metal to accommodate just such bending.

Otherwise, the speaker harnesses plug directly into the factory wiring harness and the male wire terminals (one big and one little) fit over the female terminals (also big and little, not big and big) on the new speakers no problem. Heck, the cheap factory speakers even fit in the Kicker speaker boxes for safe storage in case you want to sell the car and swap them back out again.

The "hardest" part is disconnecting the door handle pull cables, but this isn't even really necessary as the inside door panels fold open far enough (they are "hinged" on the bottom just for this reason) to gain access to the speakers.

So long as you have a ratchet set, some torx heads, a screwdriver and a couple of hours, this is really no sweat on a convertible. The master sheet shows different approaches (bottom vs. top) to removing the rear speakers in a coupe depending on the year, so I can't speak to this, but the directions did not look difficult.

Again, this was a cheap, easy, and very worthwhile improvement if you want to listen to more than just the exhaust note and supercharger whine...

Got a link for the speakers?

I just got the same speakers. They will be delivered today. I paid $39.00 a pair at online car stereo, http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/p_20482_Kicker_07DS680.aspx

I figured for the price, what the heck. Glad to hear from shelbycobra826 that they sound great. Cant wait to install them. Should sound real good with the sound deadener installed!

Definitely plug and play. The only "customization" that I had to do was to fold down the sixth tab on each of the speakers as the factory uses the four side tabs and not the top (5th) and bottom (6th) and the bottom of the speakers rest in a cradle, but these are thin metal to accommodate just such bending.

Otherwise, the speaker harnesses plug directly into the factory wiring harness and the male wire terminals (one big and one little) fit over the female terminals (also big and little, not big and big) on the new speakers no problem. Heck, the cheap factory speakers even fit in the Kicker speaker boxes for safe storage in case you want to sell the car and swap them back out again.

The "hardest" part is disconnecting the door handle pull cables, but this isn't even really necessary as the inside door panels fold open far enough (they are "hinged" on the bottom just for this reason) to gain access to the speakers.

So long as you have a ratchet set, some torx heads, a screwdriver and a couple of hours, this is really no sweat on a convertible. The master sheet shows different approaches (bottom vs. top) to removing the rear speakers in a coupe depending on the year, so I can't speak to this, but the directions did not look difficult.

Again, this was a cheap, easy, and very worthwhile improvement if you want to listen to more than just the exhaust note and supercharger whine...

Just to be clear - are the Kickers plug/play - or did Crutchfield include an adapter that makes them plug/play?

I have my interior completely out to install Dynamat and I want to change the speakers as well. I've seen DS680s for $40/pair on many sites. Just want to know if there's a real reason to order from Crutchfield if you don't need to know how to take the door skins off - or remove the rear quarter trim.

Archived