TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT-350 vs Shelby GT/SC, now that is a great comparison.......

After reading the GT-350 vs GT-500 thread it was obvious to me the real comparison would be to the Shelby GT/SC. This is the true comparison in my opinion, they are really both made toward the same buyer. I currently have the Shelby GT/SC and do not plan to sell for anything. I am very happy to have something that was actually produced at SAI and then added all my Mods at Tasca, a Certified Mod Shop. Anyway, looking at this comparison it would seem that Power would go to the Shelby GT/SC, but I am sure that is just a pulley away from being fixed. I like the idea of the new 5.0, but would be hesitant to buy one yet. Obviously the 4.6 has proven itself bullit proof if treated right. The interior of the GT-350 is awesome. The exterior I would have to see in person, but I like it in pictures. What I am surprised at is the price of a Mustang these days, everyone used to say the Shelby GT was way over-priced, I got mine New for $33k, less than your average GT these days. I added about $15k in mods plus or minus a grand or two. That puts me still well under the price of a GT-500 and way under the price of the GT350.

With all that said, if I were shopping for a toy today and did not have my Shelby I would have a hard time deciding what to buy. That is a good thing, there are so many good choices and I would not cut out the Roush or Saleen either, I like the new Roush better than the Saleen.

After reading the GT-350 vs GT-500 thread it was obvious to me the real comparison would be to the Shelby GT/SC. This is the true comparison in my opinion, they are really both made toward the same buyer. I currently have the Shelby GT/SC and do not plan to sell for anything. I am very happy to have something that was actually produced at SAI and then added all my Mods at Tasca, a Certified Mod Shop. Anyway, looking at this comparison it would seem that Power would go to the Shelby GT/SC, but I am sure that is just a pulley away from being fixed. I like the idea of the new 5.0, but would be hesitant to buy one yet. Obviously the 4.6 has proven itself bullit proof if treated right. The interior of the GT-350 is awesome. The exterior I would have to see in person, but I like it in pictures. What I am surprised at is the price of a Mustang these days, everyone used to say the Shelby GT was way over-priced, I got mine New for $33k, less than your average GT these days. I added about $15k in mods plus or minus a grand or two. That puts me still well under the price of a GT-500 and way under the price of the GT350.

With all that said, if I were shopping for a toy today and did not have my Shelby I would have a hard time deciding what to buy. That is a good thing, there are so many good choices and I would not cut out the Roush or Saleen either, I like the new Roush better than the Saleen.

I agree...have the same driver for each car and let's see how they fare! :happy feet:

Edit...changed my mind...instead of same driver, let's get Roger to drive the new GT350 and Gary to drive the SGT/SC....How 'bout it Roger, you game???? :shift:

Well, I asked Gary P. that very question....the SR was the best track car by far.....until he drove the 350....

For the record, they say the car they turned into the 350 was able to crush the KR on the track BEFORE they added anything, bone stock.

I agree...have the same driver for each car and let's see how they fare! :happy feet:

Edit...changed my mind...instead of same driver, let's get Roger to drive the new GT350 and Gary to drive the SGT/SC....How 'bout it Roger, you game???? :shift:

I would still love to see a track comparision between the two. :shift::lurk:

Craig, hopefully later this year there'll be a GT350 just up the coast a little ways from you. We'll have to take the cars out to a track, trade cars after a few laps, and then compare notes. Hopefully!

sweeeeeeeet! :happy feet: Have you told the wife yet? :hysterical: Hope it works out for you. Then I can at least say I know someone who owns one, ha!

We had a very long conversation about it on Saturday. In the end, my request was approved. However, I owe her big - which I already did and still do.

My SGT/SC convertible is the realization of a childhood dream. I had no intensions of tracking the car when I bought it and I still don't. Even though I love the S197 chassis and it's one of the nicest convertibles I've ever driven, the open top body still flexes quite a bit. Now my Bullitt on the other hand feels tight as a drum. Even though the suspension feels a little bit softer, it's still a blast to drive and I can't think of any other daily driver I'd like to have.

What I had in mind for a third Mustang was something that I could take to HPDEs and open track events - something that had the power and suspension than the SGT/SC in a solid coupe chassis like my Bullitt. I had been waiting for the aluminum block GT500 to come out, but then the 2011 GT350 was introduced. What's a crazed Shelby Mustang enthusiast to do other than to get a GT350. I'm not knocking on the 2011 GT500. I've been reading the order guide that was released this weekend. It sounds like it's going to be a great car and I can't wait to see it. But for me, I'll take the GT350.

We had a very long conversation about it on Saturday. In the end, my request was approved. However, I owe her big - which I already did and still do.

My SGT/SC convertible is the realization of a childhood dream. I had no intensions of tracking the car when I bought it and I still don't. Even though I love the S197 chassis and it's one of the nicest convertibles I've ever driven, the open top body still flexes quite a bit. Now my Bullitt on the other hand feels tight as a drum. Even though the suspension feels a little bit softer, it's still a blast to drive and I can't think of any other daily driver I'd like to have.

What I had in mind for a third Mustang was something that I could take to HPDEs and open track events - something that had the power and suspension than the SGT/SC in a solid coupe chassis like my Bullitt. I had been waiting for the aluminum block GT500 to come out, but then the 2011 GT350 was introduced. What's a crazed Shelby Mustang enthusiast to do other than to get a GT350. I'm not knocking on the 2011 GT500. I've been reading the order guide that was released this weekend. It sounds like it's going to be a great car and I can't wait to see it. But for me, I'll take the GT350.

sounds like a great plan and yes, you do owe her big time. Tell the family we said hi and hope to see all of you again soon. Craig

Well, I asked Gary P. that very question....the SR was the best track car by far.....until he drove the 350....

For the record, they say the car they turned into the 350 was able to crush the KR on the track BEFORE they added anything, bone stock.

lol, and I am sure the next Shelby will crush them all. I like the idea but would like to see it done by an independent reviewer.

Also the Shelby GT/SC is a little vague. If this ever happened, I hope the Shelby GT/SC iswith a brake package upgrade at least.

Any report on the GT-350's curb weight? Does it have coil-overs or struts? Given that the HP is nearly identical between the 2, these are the only things that I can think of that might alter the outcome. The cars are built on the same chassis, but the 2011 is considerably heavier, no? Based on what I've read, the SGT/SC ought to crush the new car on a road course (with a decent set of tires or at least the F1's that the GT-350 comes equipped with). :lurk:

Ken

Archived