TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Olympics

Lisa an I are heading to some competitions at the Olympics? We have tickets for Biathlon, curling and ski-cross.

Glen

I have curled (yes, me, a San Diego boy) and I can report that it is another of those sports that is way harder than it looks. Love to get a report back on what you see.

Jim

I saw today where they are going to have to Truck & Fly in some Snow for the Winter Olympics Skying.........The area is 45 degrees and they don't see it dropping anytime soon. They showed Pics of the Sky Slopes with very little Snow on them.

I saw today where they are going to have to Truck & Fly in some Snow for the Winter Olympics Skying.........The area is 45 degrees and they don't see it dropping anytime soon. They showed Pics of the Sky Slopes with very little Snow on them.

The venue you are talking about is Cyprus bowl. It is the venue for snow board, aerials and ski cross. about 15 min. from downtown Vancouver. Yes they are using helicopters to fly snow in from the surrounding mountains. It will go off but, the BC government is under writing these games and I believe our great grand children will still be paying for it. the down hill is in whistler and you can ski there in July. The Nordic skiing is being held at whistler Olympic park (WPO) lots of snow there it is at a good altitude so no snow issues.

Glen

I won't be going but will definitely be watching curling,esp. when the swedish girls play. :happy feet:

OK I know where you are coming from so if you like the women curlers try watching Biathlon. You have women biathletes with body fat of 12 -14 % (winter sports you have to carry more fat to keep warm) racing in full spandex and shooting in the prone position :drool:

For the Women out there you have men caring 9-11 % body fat wearing full spandex racing suits shooting in the standing position.

I have an interesting story of Lisa and I oficiating at a world cup Biathlon event and having to remind her we are suposted to be profesional and should not be corupting the Minds of the young female oficials:hysterical2:

Glen

Wish we were going I LOVE BC.

We lived about 500 miles north of you for 40 years. It took awhile to figure out but we moved to the coast 12 years ago and would not think of going back. the year we left there were 40 days when the day time temp did not get above -20 C brrr. I now find that the winter temps here are chilly average January temp 7 C = 43 F. We do miss the summer heat it is unusal to get summer temps above 80 F, so we vacation in SO-CAL to get our heat fix. Saw you guys in central north america are getting blasted by snow (rains from LA )

Glen

The venue you are talking about is Cyprus bowl. It is the venue for snow board, aerials and ski cross. about 15 min. from downtown Vancouver. Yes they are using helicopters to fly snow in from the surrounding mountains. It will go off but, the BC government is under writing these games and I believe our great grand children will still be paying for it. the down hill is in whistler and you can ski there in July. The Nordic skiing is being held at whistler Olympic park (WPO) lots of snow there it is at a good altitude so no snow issues.

Glen

I say don't bring in any more Snow, Use it just the way it is, it will be more interesting and I would actually want to watch the Olymics.

Archived