TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Airbag Cover Removal for Autograph

I'm thinking of having sending the passenger side upper airbag door/cover to Shelby Foundation to be autographed by The Man. I asked a local dealer about removing it. They want $100 to remove and another $100 to re-install. Thought about buying an extra cover as a replacement part, but the dealer says they are not available as separate parts and you can only order a complete airbag assy (obviously not practical). It doesn't seem like it should be a major project to remove, although I am a bit reluctant to mess with airbag-related parts myself. Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go ahead and pay the dealer? I have heard of sending a disposable camera with the part (I'm assuming for Mr. Shelby to document/verify his signing). Will he acutally do this?

All info appreciated.

I'm thinking of having sending the passenger side upper airbag door/cover to Shelby Foundation to be autographed by The Man. I asked a local dealer about removing it. They want $100 to remove and another $100 to re-install. Thought about buying an extra cover as a replacement part, but the dealer says they are not available as separate parts and you can only order a complete airbag assy (obviously not practical). It doesn't seem like it should be a major project to remove, although I am a bit reluctant to mess with airbag-related parts myself. Anyone have any suggestions, or should I just go ahead and pay the dealer? I have heard of sending a disposable camera with the part (I'm assuming for Mr. Shelby to document/verify his signing). Will he acutally do this?

All info appreciated.

Everything you need to know, PN and instructions, can be found in the GT500 and the SGT Mod/Tech forums. A search will yield everything you need.

Here is what I found with a quick search for "airbag":

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35865-passenger-air-bag-cover/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3458

Everything you need to know, PN and instructions, can be found in the GT500 and the SGT Mod/Tech forums. A search will yield everything you need.

Here is what I found with a quick search for "airbag":

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?/topic/35865-passenger-air-bag-cover/

http://www.teamshelby.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3458

Thanks. I got the files. Makes me mad the dealer isn't more helpful.

Thanks. I got the files. Makes me mad the dealer isn't more helpful.

When working with a dealer it's often best to first do your own research and then visit them armed with the info. With so many cars they're never going to know or care as much as an owner.

Good luck!

Dan, go for it if you're at all handy with a wrench, or even not. Really no big deal unless you're a big guy with issues fitting under the dash (a bit tight for me). Just be sure to disconnect the battery about an hour before starting to make sure all charge has dissipated. 4 bolts, I think, holding the gove box on, one wiring clip attaching the air bag, two nuts holding the airbag in place. Then push the airbag out from behind, with care, nudging the tabs all around. Then use pliers to bend the metal hooks from the rubbery flange on the backsideof the dash panel. You won't have to bend them all. Installation is even quicker cause you'll be familiar with the process. Well worthwhile! Seems that there was a dealer (Clevenger?) on The Mustang Source selling all the panels separately, in all their variations. Good luck.

I did my own. It's easy to do. Just take your time and follow the instructions. The results are awesome and something that you'll always be proud off.

Heres a link to all my pics which may help....

http://s225.photobucket.com/albums/dd66/ilmor2003/Shelby%20GT%20Airbag%20Removal/

Dan, go for it if you're at all handy with a wrench, or even not. Really no big deal unless you're a big guy with issues fitting under the dash (a bit tight for me). Just be sure to disconnect the battery about an hour before starting to make sure all charge has dissipated. 4 bolts, I think, holding the gove box on, one wiring clip attaching the air bag, two nuts holding the airbag in place. Then push the airbag out from behind, with care, nudging the tabs all around. Then use pliers to bend the metal hooks from the rubbery flange on the backsideof the dash panel. You won't have to bend them all. Installation is even quicker cause you'll be familiar with the process. Well worthwhile! Seems that there was a dealer (Clevenger?) on The Mustang Source selling all the panels separately, in all their variations. Good luck.

Thanks. I spent many hours under the dash of vintage muscle cars. Just a bit worried about the possibility of the damn thing blowing up in my face, but sounds like the risk of that is very low if the proper precautions are taken.

Like the other guys said its realtively easy and the payoff is awesome! I did mine and it took about 1/2 hour!! Backafter20 has good instructions for ya! I did not put the airbag bag in with it! I stored it away so it wont smash thru in case of an accident! You can also leave it unpluged! Unfortunaterly the air bag light stays on for 20 minutes or so! One thing I wish I woulda done is have him put my car number on it with his signature! So it doesnt look like you bought the cover from someone else, it personalizes his sig with your car!

Carrol has an autograph that looks like pure artwork!!!! Good luck!!!!

Do it ! Mr. Shelby's sig is the #1 must-have mod.

Just make sure and disconnect the battery and be careful not to scratch the dash.

Good Luck !!

You don't have to "bend any metal hooks". The pliable plastic flange can easily be manipulated around the metal hooks. Also, there's no need to disconnect the battery for an hour. You'll need to disconnect fuse #17 (air bag circuit) BEFORE disconnecting the battery. Fuse #17 is a 10amp fuse found in the small auxiliary fuse box located on the passenger side foot well, behind a plastic cover.

To check that you pulled the correct fuse, do this. With the key off, disconnect the fuse. Now turn the key on, engine off. The airbag light should cycle, then stay lit. After you ensured the correct fuse was removed, then turn key off and disconnect battery. Go ahead and remove the airbag.

Thanks to a great forum member I had an extra cover to send out last Monday- I'm hoping to see it back and installed in the SGT in time for my birthday (mid Feb) :dance:

My wife paid for it as an early BD present, I sent it off with complete instructions and the disposable camera, we'll see how it comes out :lurk:

Well, mine is there as well. Arrived last Tuesday with a camera. So we'll have to see who gets who's.

I went ahead and bought a new cover to send off so I wouldn't have a hole in the dash while waiting. When I went to the dealer's parts counter they insisted that I had to buy a complete assembly. Once I gave them the part number and my VIN it was a piece of cake. They pulled up the correct part with the correct finish and I had it the next day.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on this topic, it sure made it easy! yup.gif

John

I also sent mine out on monday the 25th. with all my info . If you get yours back and it has 08sgt1928 on it let me know. I'll do

the same for you. Curious now to see who gets it back first. Best of luck, Don

Cool, we'll do - back at you :salute:

=-=-=-=-=-=-

Well, mine is there as well. Arrived last Tuesday with a camera. So we'll have to see who gets who's.

I went ahead and bought a new cover to send off so I wouldn't have a hole in the dash while waiting. When I went to the dealer's parts counter they insisted that I had to buy a complete assembly. Once I gave them the part number and my VIN it was a piece of cake. They pulled up the correct part with the correct finish and I had it the next day.

Thanks to everyone who has posted info on this topic, it sure made it easy! yup.gif

John

John,

I would like to do the same as you did. Can you tell me the part number for the cover.

Thanks,

-Billy

John,

I would like to do the same as you did. Can you tell me the part number for the cover.

Thanks,

-Billy

Billy,

The part # is 5R3Z 6304338 BA. And be sure to have your VIN with you because there's at least 3 different air bag cover finishes and the VIN will tell them which finish yours is.

Have fun,

John

Billy,

The part # is 5R3Z 6304338 BA. And be sure to have your VIN with you because there's at least 3 different air bag cover finishes and the VIN will tell them which finish yours is.

Have fun,

John

Thank you for the part #. How much was it? I have my original signed by Mr. Shelby.

What are the risks in taking the airbag cover off? I don't want to take the cover off and not be able to put it back on. Im a racer so I need to know that my airbags will deploy correctly if I need them. Can I just pay for Shelby to sign a cover they have there and then have it sent back? Could I just buy the cover from the local dealer's parts department?

I was the part number listed above, but thats for the bezel look. My cover is just black. Anyone have an idea what the part number for the black cover is?

When you give them your VIN it will generate the correct part number/finish.

John

Thank you for the part #. How much was it? I have my original signed by Mr. Shelby.

Well, mine was $160 but it looks like Team Ford is selling them for $130. I'd give the parts mgr. at Team Ford a call and order it there. I'd call just to make sure you got the correct color/finish.

John

Billy,

Have fun,

John

Thanks John, Much Appreciated. I am ordering today (this afternoon)

-Billy

Just went to the dealer last night to buy the cover. It took maybe five minutes to find it in the computer. It was $140.00, but a well spent $140.00. It comes in within two days and it's gonna get shipped out the same day. Hopefully I'll have it back and signed by the first of march. :woot:

I just got my Airbag Cover back from the Shelby Foundation by UPS about 5 min's ago!!! happy%20feet.gif

All signed with the certificate and my camera is back as well. Now just have to have the pic's developed and I'll be all set. Can't believe how fast the turnaround was.

Thanks Carroll and best to the Foundation.

John

Archived