TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Vin # warning

I just recieved this from one of our local club member ,but it was interesting and wanted to past it on. Not sure if its possible. I hate hear that this happen to one of us.

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Here is INFO worth the price of

your car....

WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK

OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the

windshield of your car or vehicle,

write down the VIN # from the label

on the dash, go to the local car

dealership and request a duplicate

key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will

make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage

to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop

shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it?

It IS that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you,

simply put some dark tape (electrical

tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label

located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be

viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3x5 card over my VIN

NUMBER.

PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS

NOW!!!!!

Miguel

I just recieved this from one of our local club member ,but it was interesting and wanted to past it on. Not sure if its possible. I hate hear that this happen to one of us.

VIN NUMBER - WARNING

Here is INFO worth the price of

your car....

WHAT WILL the car thieves THINK

OF NEXT?

The car thieves peer through the

windshield of your car or vehicle,

write down the VIN # from the label

on the dash, go to the local car

dealership and request a duplicate

key based on the VIN #.

I didn't believe this e-mail, so I called Chrysler-Dodge and pretended I had lost my keys. They told me to just bring in the VIN #, and they would cut me one on the spot, and I could order the keyless device if I wanted.

The Car Dealer's Parts Department will

make a duplicate key from the VIN #, and collect payment from the thief who will return to your car.

He doesn't have to break in, do any damage

to the vehicle, or draw attention to himself. All he has to do is walk up to your car, insert the key and off he goes to a local chop

shop with your vehicle.

You don't believe it?

It IS that EASY.

To avoid this from happening to you,

simply put some dark tape (electrical

tape, duct tape or medical tape) across the VIN Number Metal Label

located on the dashboard.

By law, you cannot remove the VIN, but you CAN cover it so it can't be

viewed through the windshield by a car thief.

I urge you to forward this to your friends before some other car thief steals another car or truck.

I slipped a 3x5 card over my VIN

NUMBER.

PASS THIS INFORMATION ON TO ALL YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS

NOW!!!!!

Miguel

Good Info. "out of sight, out of mind" works. You take a chance leaving your car in a public place unattended or out in the open because if a real car thief wants your car, he will take it. The club, covering your vin, lojack and the such all help but IMO "out of sight" helps the most. Good insurance is the next best thing.

Dealers around here require proper ID and proof of ownership,also replacement keys need to be programed to the car before it will start it.

Exactly, I am the parts dept. manager at a Ford dealership. We will not cut a key without A. A valid registration card and B. A picture ID that matches the registration.

Interceptor is correct. A cut key will get you in the car but the vehicle will not start untill the key is programmed to match the security system in the car.

Miguel, I don't disagree that the potental is there for this kind of thievery happening, but the other problem is that it's illegal to cover your VIN in some states and cities. Some cities can/will impound your car if law enforcement can't read your VIN through the windshield so that's another issue to consider too.

I did this with a junkyard Jeep. I pulled the steering column to use in mine. I wrote down the vin of the wreck and stopped by my Jeep dealer. I had a key cut for the column and it worked great. No proof of ownership, but the parts guys knew me from being in there too much!

I've heard of it and believe it. I know there are some dealers around that would cut the key - oh, the registration is locked in the car, I'll bring it by after I get in. A good dealer would require proof as said above, but there are some that don't. Might not be able to start the car with the key, but if they are already in the car, does it really matter? Not that what anyone has said is wrong (all are right) but if it is out there, if thieves want it thieves can get.

Still deciding on the fingerprint scanner lockout myself.

Dealers around here require proper ID and proof of ownership,also replacement keys need to be programed to the car before it will start it.

miguel

how are u ??? good info ... but as the other dealers have chimed in and I will concur ... most parts/service depts take cutting keys from vins as serious business. They will require ID and proof that you own the car .. via a registration or title.

Thanks for the info.

Yet another reason why Lo-Jack was a must when I bought my car. For the price (which I lucked out and was next to nothing) I'll get a nice email, text message and phone call letting me know something's up.

Then all I need to do is push the trunk button to set off my anti-theft Trunk Monkey. LOL!! Sorry, couldn't resist.

Archived