TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Replacement Tires

jerseygator

My Goodyear F1's are already down to the wear bar at 7,000 miles. I drive aggressively.

I've seen all the negative comments about the F1's and frankly agree. Can't keep putting tires on every 7k!

Anyway, what tire would you recommend. I've picked up a few choices off this forum:

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2's

Hankook V12

Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions

I've been trying to decide what to replace the F1's with for quite some time now. The problem I run into is lack of availability in the rear tire size. That 285-40 18 is not popular at all. I want something that could be used in cold weather. I may go to 20" wheels to solve this problem. Or I might run the front tire size all around.

If I recall correctly the only Bridgestone in 285-40 18 was a run flat tire that was awful expensive. I've had good experience with Bridgestone in the past on other cars. I've never run Michelins and I am not familiar with Hancook at all.

I went with the NItto INVOs and have really enjoyed them.

Much better traction and even with my 285/30/20 sidewall, it has a very decent ride. But the kicker is for my vert, how much quieter the tire is.

I went with the NItto INVOs and have really enjoyed them.

Much better traction and even with my 285/30/20 sidewall, it has a very decent ride. But the kicker is for my vert, how much quieter the tire is.

I have a vert and am thinking I want to widen my razors and put on the Invos. I am looking for a quiet tire with a glass like ride. I really only floor it on open straight aways etc...I am wanting to put on the 295/35.20.

Any problem with the Invos?

I have a vert and am thinking I want to widen my razors and put on the Invos. I am looking for a quiet tire with a glass like ride. I really only floor it on open straight aways etc...I am wanting to put on the 295/35.20.

Any problem with the Invos?

NONE what so ever, great tire so far...I'm running the 285/30/20 on the Razor with no problems at all on my vert...it's slightly oversized for the rim, but I'm not road tracking it, and it's working out just fine.

But I do want to widened mine out to get a 305 or so back there.

I like the Nitto 555's from tire rack. fair price and they bight a hole lot better.

14K miles on my F1s, and the rears are toast (fronts aren't much better). Likely going with Nitto 555s given what I have read elsewhere. Was considering KDWs, but everyone complains about the road noise after they get broken in. No way I'll put Goodyears back on it.

If you're running Razors, General makes an Exclaim in the proper (255) size. Don't know much about Generals myself, but the M3 crowd absolutely swears by them.

For what it's worth...

Right before the Bash, I replaced by BFG's with Nitto NT05's and loved them on the track. They are a bit more than the Nitto 555's, but are a better tire for the track or for spirited street driving. Or at least that is what all the reviews have said. This tire got outstanding reviews and even does well in the wet. They are very sticky, yet do not have too loud road noise. Or, at least I couldn't hear them over my exhaust note :hysterical: I like them a lot, but have no info on how long they will last.

On a side note, anyone have info on the new street and track tire from Goodyear that is on the GT350?

IMO... if you have Cash to blow... there is not a better tire than the Michelin PS2.

If you don't want to let your hard earned cash go... Kumho SPT's are the next closest thing (IMO) for almost half the money!

Dave

Since traction is a major problem with this car, how do these two do in the traction department compared to the Goodyears? Also, how would traction of these street tires compare to the streetable Nitto 555R drag radials that don't hook quite like the M&Hs and others but seem to be a bit more street friendly?

Right before the Bash, I replaced by BFG's with Nitto NT05's and loved them on the track. They are a bit more than the Nitto 555's, but are a better tire for the track or for spirited street driving. Or at least that is what all the reviews have said. This tire got outstanding reviews and even does well in the wet. They are very sticky, yet do not have too loud road noise. Or, at least I couldn't hear them over my exhaust note :hysterical: I like them a lot, but have no info on how long they will last.

On a side note, anyone have info on the new street and track tire from Goodyear that is on the GT350?

What size NT05s do you run on the Terlingua?

Since traction is a major problem with this car, how do these two do in the traction department compared to the Goodyears? Also, how would traction of these street tires compare to the streetable Nitto 555R drag radials that don't hook quite like the M&Hs and others but seem to be a bit more street friendly?

Kumho's are going to hook better than the Goodyears... but not as great as a 'heated' up Michelin. And definitely the 555R is best for 'hooking up' on the street.

But treadlife, and grip is very good with the Kumho's.

And you could use the cash you saved, to buy a set of Rear Wheels, with '555R's' For the track or 'those weekend's' :D

Dave

What prices are people getting for say a set of four 20's? (I realize this varies widely, but was curious as to what kinds of deals people were running across). I am looking for a (2) 295/30/20 and (2) 255/35/20. Using tirerack.com or your local discount tire or other?

I've had the Hankook V12s for about 6 months and have really liked them alot and have already bought another set for my M3. I've run the Michelin PS2 and they were very nice as well. However, there is no way I could justify the cost difference after having both. My experience with the V12 has been very good even on the track where I use them if the track is wet or it is actively raining. Solid predictable grip that gives good confidence on the road or track.

I've had the Hankook V12s for about 6 months and have really liked them alot and have already bought another set for my M3. I've run the Michelin PS2 and they were very nice as well. However, there is no way I could justify the cost difference after having both. My experience with the V12 has been very good even on the track where I use them if the track is wet or it is actively raining. Solid predictable grip that gives good confidence on the road or track.

Glad to hear this. I'm leaning towards the V12's. Cost/performance ratio sounds like it is a great deal.

Thanks!

I've noticed a lot of Corvettes on the road when mine has to stay in the garage because of freezing temperatures. It seems many of them are equipped with Michelin All Season run flat tires. I'd probably use their 275/40/18 at all 4 corners. But I really want an extended driving time rather than having it parked for 3-4 months every winter

Archived