TEAM SHELBY FORUM

ethanol fuel

Looks like our 93 octane gas here in Texas now contains 10% ethanol.

Does anyone here know if this can damage any of the SGT components over time?

Thanks

According to the OEMs, all cars made in for some time now are fine up to 10% ethanol content (E85 is another story). xxxols are corrosive to aluminum and certain other metals in certain concentrations but 10% seems to not be a problem ...aside from losing 30% of the energy (vs gasoline) in that 10%.

Ethanol is a cloaked faming subsidy and consumer tax and a neat way to hit pump octane targets while giving us less energy content for the same money. Unfortunagelt today's ethanol isn't even better for the environment (considerably worse, in fact) when it's total energy-cycle is analyzed, but 10% of the evil juice should not have ill effects on these cars -- thankfully.

We have had that fuel in WI for years have never had a problem with my high performance cars to include my 07 SGT, BMW suggest using a fuel system cleaner on my M3 approx every couple of months I do same with SGT only one bottle per summer as my SGT is a fair weather car Bruce

One of my favorite subjects. No, you will not have a problem with the 10% and I'd be shocked to find out that you haven't been running it from some gas station already. It is in a very large majority of fuel sold in the USA already.

Ethonal/E85 is an absolutely fantastic fuel. E85 is fairly common here and it will outperform the majority of race fuels that are available. The power that can be made on it, especially in forced inductions applications is rediculous.

If I had access to tuning software for my car I'd change the injectors in it and run it on E85 in a heartbeat.

Modern fuel lines, including rubber lines from all I've seen are not effected by E85. Complete submersion of some rubber lines will have an effect on the outside of the hose, but typically not the inside. There is special hose for using it inside the fuel tank.

There is a LOT of good information out there, a lot of bad too.

Modern fuel lines, including rubber lines from all I've seen are not effected by E85. Complete submersion of some rubber lines will have an effect on the outside of the hose, but typically not the inside. There is special hose for using it inside the fuel tank.

I have a friend that "claims" Harley's are having a problem with the fuel lines breaking down due to the Ethanol, I can't prove it but I thought I would bring it up. I know, a Harley is not a Shelby, but like I said, I found it interesting, if indeed it is true.

One of my favorite subjects. No, you will not have a problem with the 10% and I'd be shocked to find out that you haven't been running it from some gas station already. It is in a very large majority of fuel sold in the USA already.

Ethonal/E85 is an absolutely fantastic fuel. E85 is fairly common here and it will outperform the majority of race fuels that are available. The power that can be made on it, especially in forced inductions applications is rediculous.

If I had access to tuning software for my car I'd change the injectors in it and run it on E85 in a heartbeat.

The rubber hoses I used in the tank are high pressure but they didn't specify anything about being safe for ethanol. I didn't use the teflon hoses that came with the Paxton kit because it was missing a coupling sleeve. I contacted Paxton and they sent a wrong part so I pressed forward. sigh...

I don't know of any fuel in Ohio that doesn't contain 10% ethanol, I own a Harley also, fuel injected, fuel pump is in the tank, no problems.

As for the intank fuel hoses for the topic starter, at a 10% mixture I don't forsee any problems. We've used standard high pressure fuel injection hose with straight E85 with no problems except the outside of the hose in some cases has been know to swell. The inner liner of those has held up perfectly. I just found lately that there is a specific hose for submersion in E85, the outer layer is made of the same material as the inner layer so it doesn't swell.

I don't know of any fuel in Ohio that doesn't contain 10% ethanol, I own a Harley also, fuel injected, fuel pump is in the tank, no problems.

As for the intank fuel hoses for the topic starter, at a 10% mixture I don't forsee any problems. We've used standard high pressure fuel injection hose with straight E85 with no problems except the outside of the hose in some cases has been know to swell. The inner liner of those has held up perfectly. I just found lately that there is a specific hose for submersion in E85, the outer layer is made of the same material as the inner layer so it doesn't swell.

Thank you for the info. I'm not too worried now.

Eventually, I plan on adding an intercooler along with additional boost. At that time, I'll likely install the GT-500 fuel pumps for insurance.

Archived