TEAM SHELBY FORUM

January 2010 Barrett Jackson Scottsdale Photos

twobjshelbys

More photos from wandering around on Friday

There were a fair number of these little cars around.

DSC_6515.jpg

DSC_6516.jpg

AMC did have a muscle car.

DSC_6534.jpg

DSC_6535.jpg

There were a few Nash Metropolitan's around too.

DSC_6537.jpg

DSC_6542.jpg

I wandered up when this 63 Split Window Corvette was going across. Lot #1003 sold for $110K.

DSC_6547.jpg

DSC_6550.jpg

There was a seller that had three T-birds that went "in a row". His cars are among the most respected 'birds. #1006 (the blue one) sold for $110K,

DSC_6553.jpg

DSC_6555.jpg

They got in the way of the T-bird

DSC_6560.jpg

The second T-bird also went for $110K. The third one, which I didn't get a shot of, went for $104.5K.

DSC_6563.jpg

This was a FR500 car that was auctioned for St. Jude charity. It had been last driven by Gary Bennett from Barrett Jackson.

DSC_6586.jpg

DSC_6590.jpg

DSC_6593.jpg

DSC_6595.jpg

I don't know how they keep getting in the way.

DSC_6596.jpg

The cars were fairly well grouped. Like the way the Shelby GT350/GT500s were grouped, so were the T-birds...

DSC_6615.jpg

DSC_6616.jpg

WOW- thanks Tony so much for sharing- :drool:

I had it on the TV all week, Diane and I enjoys watching it every year and we are looking forward to see it in person one of these days, maybe next year-

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Darrell Gwynn raced the original of this car. He was badly injured after driving it for the last time before he was badly injured in 1990. Gwynn has been a regular at Barrett Jackson for years, and the car he sponsors always gets top dollar. This car was actually auctioned three times. The Speed Channel broke for a commercial. The first buyer was Ron Pratt. He made his donation, and then it was sold to two more bidders who had bid against Ron before he bought it. The original bidding ended at $100K and Pratt jumped in and upped it to $200K. Then two other bidders (including the one Ron upped) started again, with him getting it for $110K, and then a third getting it for $100K. There was quite a lot of, shall we say, enthusiasm, over this. Darrell was, shall we say, overwhelmed.

For all the "stuff" he gets, Ron Pratt's collection includes a significant number of charity cars that, frankly, otherwise would not be collectible. I don't know how much money he has donated over the years but it's significant.

DSC_6661.jpg

DSC_6665.jpg

DSC_6668.jpg

DSC_6669.jpg

I liked this Kaiser Darrin and the doors. $220K!

DSC_6701.jpg

DSC_6702.jpg

Road Runners are Super Birds! Meep Meep.

DSC_6789.jpg

'66 Mercury Comet Flip Top Funny Car. Last surviving and the one that started it all. 427 SOHC!!!!

DSC_6867.jpg

DSC_6869.jpg

DSC_6870.jpg

I was getting a Diet Coke when this went across. It was the Series 1 given to Playmate Keren McDougal. Very good price considering all the extras on this car.

DSC_6872.jpg

And this is the end - it's just the way it worked out. I might have a few other random ones later.

Here is one more set of photos.

On Thursday it was raining so I decided to do a tourist event. Originally I was going to go to Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesen West Home/School (his architecture school is still active here), but it was raining and they weren't sure if the tours past the first two would happen and since a fair amount of it is outside I decided to pass. I'd been there in the 70's and will return next year.

Instead I decided to go to the Heard Museum North (in Scottsdale, north of the auction location). The Heard Museum is a world-famous museum featuring art of Southwestern Native Americans (I disdain the term "Indians"). The main museum is in downtown Phoenix and if you visit plan on spending at least half a day there to see and understand all of the exhibits. The North site is quite a bit smaller There are two types of museum viewers - those who zip through and those who read and study exhibits. If you are the former it might take only .5-.75 hour, I'm in the latter group and spent about 2.5 hours.

Here's some photos.

This is a mural that was preserved and restored.

DSC_6378.jpg

Turquise carving.

DSC_6379.jpg

Various forms of turquoise jewelry. I'm quite fond of it.

DSC_6380.jpg

DSC_6381.jpg

This is called a Squash Blossom. Pieces vary in ornateness and size of the blossoms. I am seriously in search of an "old pawn" piece. If anyone knows of one for sale please let me know.

DSC_6382.jpg

DSC_6383.jpg

A section of the museum is a varying display that is currently some modern art.

DSC_6384.jpg

I found this piece haunting yet peaceful. If they had had prints I would have bought one, but alas, no reproductions were available.

DSC_6385.jpg

DSC_6386.jpg

DSC_6387.jpg

I used Photoshop to stitch together a few multi-shot images of some of the displays. These are more along the lines of the main museum

First, there is a display of Native American baskets. This is not your "basket weaving 101" stuff. Quite beautiful work.

Baskets.jpg

Similarly for the pottery.

Pottery.jpg

This particular piece is called a Storyteller. I collect them. They are also called "Singing Grandmothers". This is quite a fine piece and looks like Stella Teller or her descendants (of whom I have a couple).

DSC_6410.jpg

Navajo Textiles.

NavajoTextiles.jpg

This is the Hopi Katsina (formarly Kachina) display. These were a favorite of Barry Goldwater and his complete collection can be seen at the main Museum.

Katsina.jpg

These are some dolls from the Katsina display. This one is from the Fred Harvey collection. Fred Harvey was the guy that made concessions along the railroad routes in the 1800s. The Grand Canyon concession is a Harvey concession. The movie "The Harvey Girls" starring Judy Garland is about it (although fictionalized).

DSC_6417.jpg

This is from Goldwater's collection.

DSC_6418.jpg

These are some StoryTellers from the gift shop.

DSC_6419.jpg

DSC_6420.jpg

I bought this one and another from the same artist.

DSC_6421.jpg

Archived