TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Your Favorite Suspension Mod...

Hello, all!

As I begin to dig into suspension mods, I figured I'd ask my SGT brothers and sisters "what mod REALLY made a difference to you?".

Was it an adjustable Panhard rod and brace, lower control arms, a K-member brace...? The GT500 Brembo kit?

Tell me what made YOU feel you had truly improved upon your SGT?

To me, anything that made it crisper, tighter, more refined, or helped put power to the ground is of interest. Track stuff interests me (I don't wanna be the caboose at Vegas Bash 2011), but I confess I'm street driving 95% of the time, so things that help BOTH are my prime concern.

I've spent the last four days (OK, over 2 years, really) searching the forum, I know the particulars, but I'm interested in all of your subjective opinions.

Discuss.

Thanks!

Jer

I predict everyone who installed the watts link will choose that one....

This should be an interesting thread because suspension mods are my next adventure following the break upgrades.

I don't see brakes as suspension pieces but since you included them, here are the improvements in order:

1. AP Racing brakes, all 4 corners.

2. Caster/Camber plates.

3. Watts Link.

4. Upper and lower control arms.

Jim

Hands down - Tokico D Spec shocks. They compliment the FR3 springs so well.

Next - Fays 2 watt's link.

These don't work on the track without brakes - I prefer AP Racing, but it is hard to pass up the economics of take off GT500 Brembos.

I don't see brakes as suspension pieces but since you included them, here are the improvements in order:

1. AP Racing brakes, all 4 corners.

2. Caster/Camber plates.

3. Watts Link.

4. Upper and lower control arms.

Jim

Well, I'm seeing it all as the same project, since they're such an integral part of what I'm trying to achieve.

I don't see them as "suspension" either, that's true... until I get into a turn way too fast when I can't scrub off the speed quick enough! :doh:

Thanks for the input.

Jer

Between the two cars, I have done a lot of changes and the most dramatic change was simply changing to wider, stickier 18" tires. Goodyear F1 255 front, 285 rear. I had a significant and very noticable gain in traction and cornering grip.

1) Bembo's

2) Sticky tires

3) Griggs rear ST kit

4) Eaton Truetrac dif

5) FRPP 3.73's

I know there not all suspension but if you go with a Griggs system it's money spent right the first time around (torque arm, adjustable panhard bar, lower control arms etc...)

Perfect for Street or Track

IMO this is my order of importance if your looking to get the most out of your SGT and can't do it all at once

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Y'know, I wish I could find great brakes that worked with my stock 18s.

I love the look of 20" chrome Razors too, but most people recommend wide tires on 18s for the best performance (makes sense to me). They also recommend better brakes (also makes sense to me).

Ah, the conundrum.

I won't even ASK what y'all think of wheel spacers... (I'm ducking under my desk)...

Jer

Y'know, I wish I could find great brakes that worked with my stock 18s.

I love the look of 20" chrome Razors too, but most people recommend wide tires on 18s for the best performance (makes sense to me). They also recommend better brakes (also makes sense to me).

Ah, the conundrum.

I won't even ASK what y'all think of wheel spacers... (I'm ducking under my desk)...

Jer

That's why I went with 18" Shelby CS69's. I have the 18" tire and they fit over my GT500 Brembos. I'm not a fan of spacers. I agree they are OK for the street, but I know several shops will not work on vehicles with spacers. Ran into this with my Jeep.

Guys, thanks so much for the input... keep it coming!

Frank, you're reading my mind... that site is what got me thinking about spacers...hahaha... I guess I just don't trust the Brits (ouch... OK, just kidding).

If I could have my way, I'd have Brembos behind my stock wheels... or 20" Razors with no performance penalty!

Jer

p.s. For some background, my previous car was a Mazda RX-8. With the engine behind the front axle, the gas tank ahead of the back axle, it didn't TURN so much as PIVOT! And the brakes were STUNNING. One of the best-handling cars EVER, IMHO, so I'm spoiled. But my thirst for TORQUE made me trade it in. The engine's the size of a pony keg - good for geometry, bad for all-out "push ya back in the seat" fun.

OK, so you've all got me interested in a Watt's llink setup...

I've seen the Fays2, the Lakewood, the Steeda... what are YOU guys using?

I know the sway bar compatibility can be an issue, etc... What works best as a bolt-on for the SGT upgrades (FRPP) that are already in place?

Part of this project's interest for me is that I want to install the mods myself - Working on the car is enoyable, but if one brand really is a difficult project, I might be swayed by ease of installation.

Thanks again for all of your experience and input...!

Jer

I am running 19" 275's/295s on Saleen Heritage wheels...

They will clear the Brembos and look similar to stock wheels.

Adding rubber has really helped the car get with it on the street bigtime, the car feels different and good but a little more rolling resistance when letting off the throttle...

I am thinking watts link next...and I too am looking for what is the best to add to the stock FRPP package.

Thanks.

Getting rid of the 'heavy' cast rims and putting on some lightweight forged Traklites. I shaved about 9lbs per wheel and the ride quality improvment is astounding. The car did pretty well on track at the bash for a 25 year old FWD Shelby B)

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

I've spent a few weeks looking at this, and I think a Fays2 Watts Link is the way to go. If you've installed one yourself and have any opinions or tips, hit me! I'm getting my air ratchet pumped up as we speak!

Jer

Archived