TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Improving the 2011 GT350

I've read some comments about using the new GT/CS or 302 R body work as the base for the GT 350 similar to the process for Shelby GT design.

Did a little CAR-toon overlay using the new 302 R model , but with the "Shelby" stylings of the new GT 350.

(I think this is more of what I was expecting with this new design.)

Here's a "what if" look...

(Moved the fender pit stripes to the mirror, because I could.) :P ;)

2011GT350.jpg

I've read some comments about using the new GT/CS or 302 R body work as the base for the GT 350 similar to the process for Shelby GT design.

Did a little CAR-toon overlay using the new 302 R model , but with the "Shelby" stylings of the new GT 350.

(I think this is more of what I was expecting with this new design.)

Here's a "what if" look...

(Moved the fender pit stripes to the mirror, because I could.) :P ;)

2011GT350.jpg

nice job Blip, just add the GT350 to the rocker stripes and it's ready to race :hysterical3:

This thread is now open

Amy/Robert,

It appears to be a dead link.

All I get is a error message when I click on it.

Phill

Use this forum to post your commments and ideas about improving the 350. The other forum that was linked in Amy's post is dead and can't be revived. Bud's post was about a bad link to another topic about the 350 that has since been fixed.

Hello TS I am new here and have some ideas for the new GT350...I hope no one gets upset with me. SA obviously put a lot of development time in this monster but I noticed Mustang and Shelby fans were not 100% on every part of it. As an owner of an original GT350 I made some Photoshop changes to the profile of what I think I would like to see and I want your opinions on it. Do you like it better or worse than the original design? There were over 20 changes on the profile that I thought could be improved and cleaned up a bit. I will work on the front and rear if there is interest. Thanks!

post-27351-126412849613_thumb.jpg

post-27351-126412849613_thumb.jpg

Hello TS I am new here and have some ideas for the new GT350...I hope no one gets upset with me. SA obviously put a lot of development time in this monster but I noticed Mustang and Shelby fans were not 100% on every part of it. As an owner of an original GT350 I made some Photoshop changes to the profile of what I think I would like to see and I want your opinions on it. Do you like it better or worse than the original design? There were over 20 changes on the profile that I thought could be improved and cleaned up a bit. I will work on the front and rear if there is interest. Thanks!

Guys there is a FAQ forum where I posted some updates but I need to tell you we will not change this design completely. I appreciate the ideas but we did what we did for a reason and Carroll was a big part of the decisions..

I have answered a lot of questions and we are making a few changes but the overall design is the design, This is not the "R" model, It is a road car that be on the track.

Amy

Thanks for being part of the discussion Amy. I've had mixed feelings about the new GT350 since I first saw it. I wanted to love it, but couldn't for some reason, and didn't know why. Now I think I figured out what I don't like. The Name! If you look at the car without the emotional, nostalgic feelings evoked by the name, its a great car. On its own, it would probably have meet with little criticism, but add that name, and you give it mighty big shoes to fill. Our memories add greatness to our heros and legends, and I don't think anything can really take their place. Its the same as with the newer incarnation of the Ponticac GTO. It was a great car, but the package just didn't do justice to the name GTO, so something was always "not right" about it to me. I guess maybe you can't recreate an actual legend. Maybe you can only create a new one. I hope this car becomes one, but since it isn't one yet, I can't get past the price and the overall style. Gotta give SA credit, though, and, cross your fingers on Carroll making new future legends. What about calling it a Gt-400?

As far as I'm concerned, my 08 SGT is a GT-350, if not in name, then at least in spirit.

I understand that Amy is open to our feedback and constructive criticism is positive. Please if you all have some positive ideas to better the new car please chime in. Maybe she will read this and we can all provide that info. Ideas like how to reduce weight, appearance, and performace changes that Sai can do would be helpful. Also, production numbers and availability suggestions would be helpful. Also price! Please stay positive in your reply. We are the Shelby people so lets give some ideas. Any new car needs to be tweeked and sorted out. We can help. We are the experts. SUDDEN.

Tone down the aerodynamics / ground effects. It looks too much like a saleen / roush.

I honestly think it should just be a stock GT with spoiler delete and then add the following options. Add a billet grille, tri-bar pony on the grille, Shelby GT hood scoop(no rivets), 18" Magnum 500s or even a new style TT to make it look like the old one, lower it, quarter window louvers, hood pins, and then the G.T.350 stripes and that is it for exterior. Just keep the current engine setup, and for interior put the GT/SC pod in, short throw shifter setup, custom shift knob like the GT500s get, and a color matching leather shifter and parking brake boots.

See if I can't chop the exterior.

I can't do stripes, and the scoop and louvers didn't turn out great, but something similar to it would be nice.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z297/Super_assassin/Chops/GT350.jpg

That looks like the 2011 Ca .special . Check it out on line.

Thanks for being part of the discussion Amy. I've had mixed feelings about the new GT350 since I first saw it. I wanted to love it, but couldn't for some reason, and didn't know why. Now I think I figured out what I don't like. The Name! If you look at the car without the emotional, nostalgic feelings evoked by the name, its a great car. On its own, it would probably have meet with little criticism, but add that name, and you give it mighty big shoes to fill. Our memories add greatness to our heros and legends, and I don't think anything can really take their place. Its the same as with the newer incarnation of the Ponticac GTO. It was a great car, but the package just didn't do justice to the name GTO, so something was always "not right" about it to me. I guess maybe you can't recreate an actual legend. Maybe you can only create a new one. I hope this car becomes one, but since it isn't one yet, I can't get past the price and the overall style. Gotta give SA credit, though, and, cross your fingers on Carroll making new future legends. What about calling it a Gt-400?

As far as I'm concerned, my 08 SGT is a GT-350, if not in name, then at least in spirit.

The SGT is a fine car that was built by Shelby. Why compare it to the new GT350 ? It was not named the GT 350 for a reason. Mr Shelby stated they waited all these years to make a GT350 cause they were waiting for the 5.0 power plant. The SGT is not the Roger Dangerfield of Shelby's so stop comparing it to all the others. The SGT can stand on it's own it's a Shelby just not a GT350.

I saw this picture on Autoblog today. If the car actually looked like this I'd be all over. I'm hoping the final revision of the front and rear bumper will replicate this. Can't Shelby work with a company to develop those exact tail lights? I'm sure it would be hot if solid as an individual part.

36shelbygt350bjliveopt.jpg

Hi Mach 1 1970. I wasn't really trying to compare my SGT to the new GT350, but why not? They're both Shelby made cars, and therefore have some inherent qualities to compare. My comment about me considering my SGT to be a GT350 "in spirit" is just my perception, as I have an easier time bridging the time gap between my car and a '66 GT30 than I do with the new car. It's not a GT350 because Shelby didn't call it one. I was comparing the new GT350 to the original, which seems reasonable since they share a name. My issue with the new car not meeting my personal expectations is just my own perception. I do see the new car as a potential future legend in its own right. I guess I just have problems making the connection between old and new. Which is ok. They're not supposed to be the same, but maybe that's what I wanted, something to replace the original, when in reality we wouldn't really want that either. We'd all make the car differently if we were making it ourselves, for ourselves, but SAI has more issues to consider, and they did the best job possible. I agree with Bud's prediction that as time goes on, the new GT350 will prove itself and exceed all expectations.

Just the fact that we're discussing this, comparing multiple new Shelby Mustang models, talking these horsepower numbers, this fuel efficiency, and this advanced technology 45 years after the originals just blows my mind. We're very lucky to be experiencing this.

bpmurr, what is different about those drawings, cause the car looks much nicer sketched yet I don't really notice what has changed? Pretty cool.

Who is Roger Dangerfield?

The american hot rodder loves his mustangs, when body kits and other bulky items are added then it just becomes a offshoot of imported cars which we as american mustang fans we loath. Sublty is key. in saying that i would like to add my tips on changes.

1. No body kit,

2. The grill is cool but too small, make it a tad larger so the chin spoiler does not over take it.

3. One piece bumpers.

4. Side scoops please

3. All respect to Mr. Shelby but his name does not need to be all over the car. Just a square 350 plaque on the grille.

4. Stripes end to end no stops, no 350 in the hood stripe.

5. Side ported dual exhaust.

6. Make the rear taillights really unique ala 70 gt350

7. No body kit,

O.K. some good Ideas. I just have a simple one. My problem is that the new GT 350 will be put in Saleen, Roush, etc. class. A Mustang modfited with bling. I say to flare the fenders both front and Rear and put wide sticky meats on it. I feel that the 2011 Mustang by the other two outfits will be nearly the same. So if want a gt350 I will have to make my mind up over severl cars. I do not think the Roush and Saleen will be as much and no post title hassle. There could be some competition that would affect sales. Keep the weight down and make it lean and mean. That will seperate it from the pack of Modified mustangs. Something special and no bling. All things done only to enchance the performace only. That is my 2 cents. I know Amy says that it will mostly stay the same, but when the car comparisons come by magazines I just know what they will be saying.

Amy,

IMHO, a little tweak of the body kit and stripes back to the original, would go a long way. Ditch the fog light holes and put them in the grill like the '67... here's a photochop

Are they fog lights? I thought they were are ducts for the front brakes.

In my mind the GT350 should hang with the best in the world on track. With that in mind I would put the project on hold and re-imagine the basic concept and plan. Here is what I would do if I were Carrol.

1. Contact the now defunct Griggs Racing and purchase the designs/tooling and left over parts for their SLA front suspension. As they are now out of business I'm sure they would love to recoup a few $$$ out of that product. I imagine this deal could be put together very quickly/inexpensively and would serve as a significant differentiator for the GT350.

2. License the IRS Ford designed for S197. Again, Ford has the designs and tooling for the IRS compete and ready to go. Production cost would be minimal.

3. High end adjustable suspension. There are several manufacturers who would love to have their name associated with a legend.

4. Lightweight wheels

5. Carbon Buckets and rear seat delete

6. Ditch the supercharger

7. Tear open the 5.0, CNC the heads, up the compression, revise the cam profile for 8000rpm (Ford states the engine is designed to handle it). Think 450-500hp naturally aspirated.

8. Have ford seam weld the required bodies before assembly

9. Use the GT500 body as it looks the best and has the best aero (finish in white/blue)

10. Ford racing brakes with alum hats

There you have it. A 3400lbs high reving/hp naturally aspirated track machine that would also ride nicer that a stocker. Lastly, take it over to Germany and bust out some 7:40s at the ring. Produce ~3000 of 'em and price it at $59,999. Shelby is probably paying ~20k for a stripped out GT. Add in ~$1500 for the IRS, ~$2000 for the SLA, ~$2500 for wheels, ~$3500 for engine, ~$1500 for seats, ~$1500 for brakes, ~$1500 for suspension, which adds up to ~$14000. Hell, let's double that and add it back to our base cost of 20k.

48k cost would mean a margin of 12k X 3000 units = a net pre-tax margin of 36,000,000. Not a bad take and you would be putting out the baddest mustang in history by a huge margin and the faithful would be flipping out instead of lamenting that Shelby threw on a body kit and a supercharger and called it a day.

A 911 GT3 killer at less than half the $$$.

• 2 weeks later...

In my mind the GT350 should hang with the best in the world on track. With that in mind I would put the project on hold and re-imagine the basic concept and plan. Here is what I would do if I were Carrol.

1. Contact the now defunct Griggs Racing and purchase the designs/tooling and left over parts for their SLA front suspension. As they are now out of business I'm sure they would love to recoup a few $$$ out of that product. I imagine this deal could be put together very quickly/inexpensively and would serve as a significant differentiator for the GT350.

Griggs is NOT defunct and not out of business.....in fact far from it. I had my car in their shop last week to complete the SS setup. They are also in the process of sending three cars to Shelby in Vegas for a potential partnership. You should really be careful what you post on this Forum without knowing the facts. It's potentially damaging to these vendors.

Jim

Griggs is NOT defunct and not out of business.....in fact far from it. I had my car in their shop last week to complete the SS setup. They are also in the process of sending three cars to Shelby in Vegas for a potential partnership. You should really be careful what you post on this Forum without knowing the facts. It's potentially damaging to these vendors.

Jim

Now if Shelby started using a Griggs setup that would really be exciting!

Jim

What Jim said.

Griggs Racing is NOT defunct and people need to quit posting misinformation and rumors.

• 1 month later...

I Just can't see old Shelby adding all these Bling Bling parts to the car. From day one he has alwasy been about perforrmance, and not using anything that didn't make it go faster. I have owned 2 07 GT 500's, Still own my 07 SGT I bought new, and although not the fastest car at the track, I have seen on out perform a 06 Ford GT on the road corse. Things I would change about this car

1. NO ground Effects, Shelby has never put Ground effects on any car he built

2. Less Badging. Only need GT 350 side stripe

3 Flat hood with Molded in 65/66 350 Hood scoop

4. Retro Magnum 500 Wheels

5. Hood Pins

6. Flat trunk lid.

Thats about it 4 me, I just think they are aiming at the younger generation, however I do not know may Kids in there Late 20's early 30's Buying 60K plus Mustangs. Just my opinion

Archived