TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350: F.A.Q.

Guys, on the stripes, we will offer painted and if you want them all the way down we will do it as an option. we don't like the vinyl look and there are too many cuts, we are worried about stripe issues as well... after a few days on this its not what we want on this car.

Amy

That is a great option. A very big improvement of the rear look.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree.

Guys, on the stripes, we will offer painted and if you want them all the way down we will do it as an option. we don't like the vinyl look and there are too many cuts, we are worried about stripe issues as well... after a few days on this its not what we want on this car.

Amy

So painted stripes or plain - interesting.

Bud and Others,

As the owner of a 1965 Shelby GT-350, serial number SFM5S238, from 1980 to 1993, I can verify this car and most if not all '65 GT-350s DID come with side exhausts. Visit this site to see some photos of the car after a total restoration: http://www.comfortcarconnection.com/sold_car_gallery/65_gt_350/65_gt_350.html

Take a look at the exterior shots of the car to see the side exiting exhaust pipes. This car has been restored to factory (Ford & Shelby) original except for the 4 exterior tires (spare is an original Blue Dot) and the oil filter. It has won numerous Best of Shows and is a nearly 100 point restored vehicle per the judges from the Shelby American Automobile Club.

I have attached a side view of SFM5S238. If you look under the car you will see the bottom of the muffler and the side exiting exhaust pipe. This exhaust system are verified NOS Shelby parts from a well known Mustang & Shelby Parts Supplier/Restorer/Owner of Many low mileage Mustangs.

If you do some research in the Shelby American Automobile Club's "The Shelby American" publication and their Registry's for the '65 cars, you will be able to see that most photos of the cars will show side exhausts. Even most of the early "Left Over '65s" that became the early batch of 1966 GT-350's had side exhausts. The rest of the '66s did have rear mounted exhaust pipes. The most compelling reason the exhausts outlets were changed from the sides to the rears was that a bunch of states laws prohibited the side exhausts just like the prohibited the center mounted headlights on the 1967 Shelby Mustangs.

Sure wish I kept the car and sure wish I could afford to get the same matching number (238)!

If the current owner of SFM5S238 reads this, please contact me. I have more information on the car I can give you and also I would like to correct some info I have read on a couple web sites about this car.

Ron Gratreaks

Las Vegas, NV

captg@cox.net

I purchased a new 1965 shelby gt350 in 1964 and it did NOT have side pipes

I pd 3200 for it and keep it for 2 years the original msrp was 2300 but with options came to 3200

It was red and i ordered it without over the hood and body stripes but with side stripes

unfortunatly i did not take pics of it.

Yea i know i should have kept it

But who would have ever thought

Don

If in fact the stripes will come painted or not at all, I wonder what the price difference between material and labor costs of applying the vinyl stripes (which are included in the standard price) and the optional painted stripes? Perhaps there's some room for a little give and take as far as the price of the painted stripe option or in the price of the GT350 package.

It was red and i ordered it without over the hood and body stripes but with side stripes

There's another idea. Again, if in fact the stripes will come painted or not at all, why not have painted side stripes be standard (offset by the savings of deleting the vinyl stripes) and have the over the top stripes as an option.

Yeah, by current pricing estimates, that would make the base package 38,995 after the 30k+ cost on the car...

However, I wished all along that Ford would have done the GT500s with painted stripes...it wont be long before they start showing some age and need replacement. At least a 5k cost for the stripes is a one time fee, the vinyls are going to cost 2 or 3k every 7 years...

BTW- I was told by someone at Ford that the difference in weight of the 4.6 and new 5.0 is 30lbs.

So my guess would be that the GT350 will fall in the 3650 range with no fuel, and no shaker. Not ideal, but lighter than the GT500...

Does anyone know what the official wieght is on the Terlinguas?

I think a bigger question that needs to be asked is what is the weight ratio? I know those answers aren't published yet on the 2011s, but I would like to know when the info is available.

Amy link didnt work, so here it is

rearstripes.jpg

I like it with the stripes going all of the way down

could the word SHELBY be placed on the trunk like every other Shelby, or just not enough room for it?

I think this is a HUGE improvement in the appearance category. It takes the focal point away from the "fat-looking" all-white lower rear end with the two separate back-up lights and places it where it belongs with the twin stripes, faux gas cap and twin centered exhaust tips.

I would eliminate the 2 GT350 front quarter panel badges (above the sidestripes) and the S H E L B Y lettering on the rear end entirely. I would place one of the badges on the blacked out panel between the retro gas cap and the passenger side tail lights (just like the originals).

I think the front grill should have the tri-bar pony emblem (just like the originals) and the hood stripe should not state "GT350".

Since this car appears to be lower, wider and definitely heavier than the originals, the wider stripes should be acceptable. I don't feel that it creates a visual problem at all.

Yeah, by current pricing estimates, that would make the base package 38,995 after the 30k+ cost on the car...

However, I wished all along that Ford would have done the GT500s with painted stripes...it wont be long before they start showing some age and need replacement. At least a 5k cost for the stripes is a one time fee, the vinyls are going to cost 2 or 3k every 7 years...

BTW- I was told by someone at Ford that the difference in weight of the 4.6 and new 5.0 is 30lbs.

So my guess would be that the GT350 will fall in the 3650 range with no fuel, and no shaker. Not ideal, but lighter than the GT500...

Does anyone know what the official wieght is on the Terlinguas?

I think a bigger question that needs to be asked is what is the weight ratio? I know those answers aren't published yet on the 2011s, but I would like to know when the info is available.

Don't forget to factor in the EPS (electric power steering). That will shave about 80 LBS off the car. Not much, but it should be considered when discussing the overall weight of the car.

Oh, yeah! TOTALLY forgot about that change! :happy feet:

Thanks Enis! It sure was great seeing you again! Hopefully see you in Tulsa!

So lets re-estimate the weight to 3570...wow....now if I could just shave 80 lbs off the driver, I would be in great shape!

Oh, yeah! TOTALLY forgot about that change! happy feet.gif

Thanks Enis! It sure was great seeing you again! Hopefully see you in Tulsa!

So lets re-estimate the weight to 3570...wow....now if I could just shave 80 lbs off the driver, I would be in great shape!

You know all it takes is to get on a NordicTrack every day. I bet I know where you can buy one NOT cheap

The 2011 Mustang GT weighs 3720 and that is with EPS. 54/46 fr/rear ratio. Now with the SC and plumbing, big brakes and heavier hood I estimate 3850. 70 lb lighter then an 07-09 GT500. Time will tell.

I could have sworn that the 2011 Mustang GT weighs 3,603 per Ford.

+1

SPRSNK speaks the truth here. The center exhaust will be just fine. Side exhaust on this chasis does not work in the real world. And this coming from the most "throw back" guy of all "throw back" guys :salute:

There are bigger fish to fry here...............and I think that all input is being heard and considered within reason. Let's see where it goes from here. :lurk:

+2. Love my Terlingua, but I can't tell you how many times I've thought I ripped out the exhaust system.

• 1 month later...

I purchased a new 1965 shelby gt350 in 1964 and it did NOT have side pipes

I pd 3200 for it and keep it for 2 years the original msrp was 2300 but with options came to 3200

unfortunatly i did not take pics of it.

Yea i know i should have kept it

But who would have ever thought

Don

Obviously your 1965 was a standard Mustang if it was red and had a MSRP of 3200. Stock Mustang MSRP for a 6 cyl was 2300. Red was not a color option on the GT350 until 1966. All first generation GT350 came with the side stripes; it was not an option as the Lemans stripes were.

I have a saphire blue 1966 GT350 #2187 with stripes and rear exit exhaust and a Paxton SC. I really like the new GT350 and agree with the improvement comments about the stripes (no hood name and all the way down the rear bumper, delete the back lights from the bumper which are too easily damaged and move the SHELBY letters to a small tag to the side ot the rear (similar to the 1966). The car is very distinctive and does not need excess badging. The new GT350 will be on my gotta have list.

• 3 weeks later...

A 5.0 GT with Brembo's will weigh 3650. Where is weight being cut on GT350 to offset the blower, h/e, i/c, fluids etc to keep the weight to 3650?

Don't forget to factor in the EPS (electric power steering). That will shave about 80 LBS off the car. Not much, but it should be considered when discussing the overall weight of the car.

What? 2011 GT500 without SVT PP is 100lbs lighter than a 2010 per Ford. So, according to you the aluminum block only resulted in a 20 lbs weight loss, the other 80 being EPS?

No.

It's been a while since the introduction. Are there any updates on any of the specifications , options, delivery estimates, cooling package, etc?

Has anyone figured out where to place the engine tag? (other than on the plastic rad cover)

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a while since the introduction. Are there any updates on any of the specifications , options, delivery estimates, cooling package, etc?

Has anyone figured out where to place the engine tag? (other than on the plastic rad cover)

Update: The first three GT350's are being built by Ford right now. Then some time in the next 1-2 weeks our cars are being shipped to Vegas. From there we are looking at 30-45 days for the first 3 cars. The owners of these three cars are myself, W. Faris and M. McGuirk.

Rest of the questions: I don't know yet. I've heard rumor, but I'm opting out of most of the options since I plan on doing the R Code upgrade if it's offered. The only options I'm putting on my car are the painted stripes, 6 piston rear brakes and museum delivery.

From what I understand Ford is NOT building any retail units until AFTER the OK to buy which is April 15th. If everything is OK then they will start building retail.

The reason for this is that Ford DOESNT want retail units collecting dust while they wait on the OK to buy. Should see ALOT more units being built and starting to ship EARLY May!!

Faris, Mcguirck and Ryckman were order NON Retail so that I could get them built! We were given THREE allocations for early units so I just had them built to thier specs!!

MM

Update: The first three GT350's are being built by Ford right now. Then some time in the next 1-2 weeks our cars are being shipped to Vegas. From there we are looking at 30-45 days for the first 3 cars. The owners of these three cars are myself, W. Faris and M. McGuirk.

Rest of the questions: I don't know yet. I've heard rumor, but I'm opting out of most of the options since I plan on doing the R Code upgrade if it's offered. The only options I'm putting on my car are the painted stripes, 6 piston rear brakes and museum delivery.

Painted stripes at the factory or Shelby?

If in fact the stripes will come painted or not at all, I wonder what the price difference between material and labor costs of applying the vinyl stripes (which are included in the standard price) and the optional painted stripes? Perhaps there's some room for a little give and take as far as the price of the painted stripe option or in the price of the GT350 package.

I find it kinda funny with all the problems with the vinyl stripes on the SGTs and folks screaming for 3 years that they should have been painted...

and now

SAI comes out with a hot new car with painted stripes......and everyone wants the vinyl....:doh:

you just cant win Amy. :hysterical:

congrats to you 3.

I find it kinda funny with all the problems with the vinyl stripes on the SGTs and folks screaming for 3 years that they should have been painted...

and now

SAI comes out with a hot new car with painted stripes......and everyone wants the vinyl....:doh:

you just cant win Amy. :hysterical:

I think this is in reference to the rear stripe going below the rear spoiler. To do the stripe all the way down, I believe you must have the "paint" option picked. The vinyl is standard equipment, but they will not be doing vinyl below the rear spoiler. That is my take on it.

Archived