TEAM SHELBY FORUM

GT350: F.A.Q.

GT350 F.A.Q.

If you have specific questions about the GT350, you can ask them here and we'll try to answer them.

FRONT FASCIA

Since an adequate front fascia for the 2011 Mustang GT didn't exist, Shelby designed one from scratch to better suit the GT350's needs for road course purposes. The front fascia itself is a single piece design with over-sized ducting to maximize brake and engine cooling. The fascia itself also sits a lower than a standard Mustang.

SIDE ROCKER PANELS

The side rocker panels are actually functional on the GT350. The panels themselves are sculptured to direct airflow through a duct to the huge 14" rear rotors for enhanced cooling.

HOOD

Yes, the integrated hood scoop on the GT350 is fully functional.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here are a couple of things I know. Questions that I do not know, we all here will find out.

1. As Robert stated--the hood is a one piece fiberglass functional hood. It draws air in and and helps dissipate the hot air out.

2. On the front (1 piece production fascia) has 3 inlets directing air straight to the intercooler/radiator area.

3. The front brake ducts are located under the car--same as the 2010 SS

4. Rear brake ducts. Here is one thing I think that has not beem mentioned yet. The side rockers are functional directing air to the rear rotors, but--here's the new part--it ALSO collects air from the bottom of the car too!! There are actually 2 inlets that are channeled to the rear brake rotors. It really is a cool set up :)

5. The suspension is a fully adjustable Eibach kit (when I get more info, I'll post it)

6. Interior. The concept car has the optional upgraded interior. If you do not want this option, you can go with the stock seats (I have a pic of them somewhere LOL)

7a. The rear centered exhaust has a tone like no other Shelby I have heard. To me, the tone is awesome!!

7b. After reading all of the comments--both positive and negative (both are contructive tools) people wanted side exhaust. In my opinion I do not think it would work because of the rear brake duct set up. And agin, this is MY opinion, you can ask some of the Terlingua owners how careful they have to be going over speed bumps or dips---I think they may say something like, yup, it scrapes a bit. Plus, looking at a ton of original GT350 pics, I didn't really see any side exhaust on them. Maybe on the "R" models, but not on the "350" models (I could be dead wrong here)

I personally do not have all of the answers to all of the questions. BUT, WE DO have a FANTASTIC team that we can go to and ask. In this thread if a question is asked and we do not know, we will go and try to find the answer. I am sure that after our team reads these threads, some changes will be made because of YOUR suggestions :)

And as I stated before in another thread, as soon as I get the go, I will do highly detailed pictoral build of the car. You will see exactly what the team went through to design, build,redisign (LOL) rebuild this vehicle. You will also see how the fascias came together (not from JC Whitney--I think I read that somewhere LOL). How the exhaust was formed and other little bits and pieces of the car.

So please, ask away, but please keep in mind "how" the question is asked. Nobody likes to get yelled at :)

Bud

Is the shifter the stock 6 speed shifter. I would have liked to have seen a Hurst Short Throw shifter in it.

Please remove the Shelby Lettering off the rear bumper.

Run the Stripe all the way down the rear bumper.

Why do the reverse lights have to be where they are located it would look much better intergrated within the tail lights.

The biggest question I have is why the Heck couldn't we see it and touch it at the bash. It really would have made a lot of sense to have the car there so all of us die hard Shelby fans could have decided if we wanted the car. My next chance to see it is in Tulsa and if it sends me those shivers then I am on board I just can't consider spending that kind of money without driving it first.

After Tulsa last year I wanted to convert my car to a SR but Roger never got back with me about the exact cost of the conversion minus all my upgrades so I guess I will focus more on this car for a track car.

How delicate is the high compression + boost going to be?

you do not usually see 11:1 + boost.

Some people are going to want to shrink the pulley on the top and stretch the crank pulley.

Glen

Connecting Rods/Pistons

You are probably aware that Ford's own Coyote engine development team has stated that the stock rods are not designed for boosted applications. With that in mind, will you be installing an improved connecting rod and forged piston?

Getrag Six Speed Transmission

The Chinese manufactured Getrag transmission that will be installed in stock Mustang GT's has a maximum torque rating of less than 400 lbs-ft of torque. Will you be switching to a transmission that has a rating that matches or exceeds the rating of the engine (such as the Tremec 6060 used in the GT500)?

Tob

Connecting Rods/Pistons

You are probably aware that Ford's own Coyote engine development team has stated that the stock rods are not designed for boosted applications. With that in mind, will you be installing an improved connecting rod and forged piston?

Getrag Six Speed Transmission

The Chinese manufactured Getrag transmission that will be installed in stock Mustang GT's has a maximum torque rating of less than 400 lbs-ft of torque. Will you be switching to a transmission that has a rating that matches or exceeds the rating of the engine (such as the Tremec 6060 used in the GT500)?

Tob

Ford racing will be onsite to work with our team when we finish up the power and suspension. we will not be touching pistons, that is an option for the customer. The engine will be reliable and done correctly when we release the final product.

The cost of the car is also being hailed as too high, too much power , not enough power so no the curent transmission is fine we have been told by ford , If there is an issue with the transmission, we will address it, but right now no.

Amy

Will the 'final product' 19" Cragar built wheels be reflective of the '65 style Cragar wheels, or somethign completely different?

they will closely resemble what is on the car now. We looked at vintage wheels for this car, they didn't look right

Amy

Questions:

Hood and Rockers: Glass or CF?

One peice driveline?

Stock Rods?

Hood and rockers, glass, yes

One piece fascia

Drivetrain, still being discussed

stock rods, yes

amy you quoted this car as being 3350 lbs. ( 570 lbs lighter than GT500 ). Was that a typo? A base, no option GT is 3603 lbs per Ford. Add a blower, intercooler, 20" wheels, big brakes.... how can it be 3350?

That is what I was told yesterday, I am still checking today and will print the numbers as soon as I can, in the mean time

- Hood pins are option and we will install

- Shifter ball can be added-Rockers, headers and pully's need to epa and EO's or we can't change them, we are a manufacturer, different then a after market shops. We crash all our parts and EO all performance

- The rear center exhaust is not roush, it is Shelby from 69 and it will stay, the car looked too rough with side exhaust. works on the Terlingua, not this car. Not sure if this was brought up here or another place.....

Ford racing will be onsite to work with our team when we finish up the power and suspension. we will not be touching pistons, that is an option for the customer. The engine will be reliable and done correctly when we release the final product.

The cost of the car is also being hailed as too high, too much power , not enough power so no the curent transmission is fine we have been told by ford , If there is an issue with the transmission, we will address it, but right now no.

Amy

He has no faith in Ford. I guess he does not realize that Ford over engineers every Mustang they build. They obviously had boost in mind when they put this new package together, that much is certain and you guys only further that belief and trust.

I think we got spoiled a bit with the 6060 and hand built 5.4 in the GT500 because that can be modded to 1000hp without opening anything up but the GT350 is not about being a dyno queen.

correct me if I am wrong...

He has no faith in Ford. I guess he does not realize that Ford over engineers every Mustang they build. They obviously had boost in mind when they put this new package together, that much is certain and you guys only further that belief and trust.

I think we got spoiled a bit with the 6060 and hand built 5.4 in the GT500 because that can be modded to 1000hp without opening anything up but the GT350 is not about being a dyno queen.

Ah, I would say 1,000 h.p with the stock connecting rods in a 5.4 is pushing it .

That is what I was told yesterday, I am still checking today and will print the numbers as soon as I can, in the mean time

- Hood pins are option and we will install

- Shifter ball can be added-Rockers, headers and pully's need to epa and EO's or we can't change them, we are a manufacturer, different then a after market shops. We crash all our parts and EO all performance

- The rear center exhaust is not roush, it is Shelby from 69 and it will stay, the car looked too rough with side exhaust. works on the Terlingua, not this car. Not sure if this was brought up here or another place.....

Amy:

Exhaust was brought up here any pictures of the exhaust out the side,& any changes to the rear I.e back-up lights change or removed & Shelby lettering moved up on to the trunk ???

I'll give my input on side exhaust on the Terlingua. It sucks. Every speed bump, every dip in the road, putting it on the lift isn't all that easy, putting it on a lift in a stacker trailer, forgetaboutit, hell, it even drags when cornering on a track. I've had that exhaust high centered more than once going on or off a trailer..bleh. Now would I trade the side exhaust on my Terlingua for dual rear? Nope. It's part of the car. I love it..on the Terlingua.

Chuck, if you are referring to me, you are incorrect. I have quoted on numerous occasions what the Coyote engineers stated in a lengthy article in the latest issue of 5.0 magazine. I'll repeat it for you, once again - the engineers clearly stated that they planned on this engine being boosted in the future. That said, they stated on no less than three times (within the article by Tom Wilson) that the Coyote rods that will be installed on 2011 MY Mustang GT engines were not designed for boosted applications and that they were the weak link. Your assertion that it is universally accepted that Ford is overly conservative is clear - it just doesn't happen to be the same opinion as the engineering team that developed the engine.

So it has nothing to do with me "having no faith in Ford". To the contrary, I entrust the men that designed this engine to speak on the basis of authority.

That said, there have been hints that this application, an FRPP/Whipple, would be low boost only. Amy hinted in her response to my questions that CS would not release the car until it was right. I'll withhold comment on her response until we hear more from the people that are doing the development work. Remember, this is a post-title vehicle offering from Shelby and as such, it is not subject to the same testing requirements and standards as those of Ford Motor Company.

No doubt, the calibration engineer working on this project will be worth his weight in gold.

I'll give my input on side exhaust on the Terlingua. It sucks. Every speed bump, every dip in the road, putting it on the lift isn't all that easy, putting it on a lift in a stacker trailer, forgetaboutit, hell, it even drags when cornering on a track. I've had that exhaust high centered more than once going on or off a trailer..bleh. Now would I trade the side exhaust on my Terlingua for dual rear? Nope. It's part of the car. I love it..on the Terlingua.

+1

SPRSNK speaks the truth here. The center exhaust will be just fine. Side exhaust on this chasis does not work in the real world. And this coming from the most "throw back" guy of all "throw back" guys :salute:

There are bigger fish to fry here...............and I think that all input is being heard and considered within reason. Let's see where it goes from here. :lurk:

I love the whole car including the distinctive rear exhaust. It is like a 69/70 Just hope she has big rubber. I have always thought that the 66/67 Shelby wooden steering wheels are absolutely classic. Any chance of revivng a wood, composite wheel? Might be a nice upgrade, maybe signed and numbered. Love my SS Looking forward to seeing a 350 in person!

Chuck, if you are referring to me, you are incorrect. I have quoted on numerous occasions what the Coyote engineers stated in a lengthy article in the latest issue of 5.0 magazine. I'll repeat it for you, once again - the engineers clearly stated that they planned on this engine being boosted in the future. That said, they stated on no less than three times (within the article by Tom Wilson) that the Coyote rods that will be installed on 2011 MY Mustang GT engines were not designed for boosted applications and that they were the weak link. Your assertion that it is universally accepted that Ford is overly conservative is clear - it just doesn't happen to be the same opinion as the engineering team that developed the engine.

So it has nothing to do with me "having no faith in Ford". To the contrary, I entrust the men that designed this engine to speak on the basis of authority.

That said, there have been hints that this application, an FRPP/Whipple, would be low boost only. Amy hinted in her response to my questions that CS would not release the car until it was right. I'll withhold comment on her response until we hear more from the people that are doing the development work. Remember, this is a post-title vehicle offering from Shelby and as such, it is not subject to the same testing requirements and standards as those of Ford Motor Company.

No doubt, the calibration engineer working on this project will be worth his weight in gold.

actually we do require ford to test we test and all parts are EO'D so we do go the extra and give warranty as well

actually we do require ford to test we test and all parts are EO'D so we do go the extra and give warranty as well

Please don't take this the wrong way Amy. This is an area that is very specific and an important concern to most any new car buyer, let alone a Shelby vehicle customer (as I'm sure you realize). Your our responses have been a bit general and I have no problem with that. That said, I'm sure you 'test' all parts. I'm sure you only install parts that have an EO# as you are required to do under federal statutes. Saying you give a warranty as well isn't that clear, because the question wasn't raised as to whether you will match the OE Ford warranty in all respects. If you will...

The real reason most of us are here and happen to enjoy these vehicles is the enhanced performance. The additional power over what is available at your local dealership. The original GT350 was perfect for a hardworking guy to work on during the week and track the heck out of it on the weekend. The Shelby-modified 289 engines served this purpose well. And as I've stated elsewhere, the times have changed in many ways, and it isn't as simple as it used to be. One thing hasn't changed. The desire for more power.

In this specific case, the newly introduced 5.0L "Coyote" engine fits the bill perfectly. The design and architecture are such that the intent is blatantly obvious - a naturally aspirated, high rpm, screamer. The engineers laid out the program such that from the outset they would leave no future variant 'stone' unturned. They plan DI one day. In addition, they assumed there would be a call for forced induction as well. The block was computer modeled, and cast in a small run. As was everything else they needed to start testing. And test they did. I won't waste your time listing every one, but suffice it to say, the list of requirements is long (Here's a small list of testing requirements Ford uses for things such as 'soft materials' and it pales in comparison to powerplant requirements. More.). From real world testing to 'simple'

testing, the workout this new engine received was relentless. Ford’s Advanced Engine Design and Development people worked this engine almost around the clock for two years. The V8 engines are treated no different that V6 engines, etc. As such here's a quote from Ford's own Media.com site regarding their new V6 offering...
The Road Cycle Durability test, for example, is designed to replicate real-world customer driving and vehicle maintenance patterns. For this test, engines with EcoBoost technology were subjected to 1,000 cold starts, followed by sustained operation at peak torque and peak power. During the course of the test, engine coolant temperatures ranged from 12 degrees Celsius (about 53 degrees Fahrenheit) to 95 degrees Celsius (203 degrees Fahrenheit).

In total, this single test required 1,000 hours of extreme engine operation, representing more than 60,000 miles of customer driving.

EcoBoost also endured Ford’s standard engine durability test signoff by running at maximum revs and turbo boost for the equivalent of 15 straight days or 360 hours.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=29944

Ford has even gone so far as to update their dyno test cells so that they can run unmanned that can be monitored and shut down via the web, which really helped to condense the testing timeframe during engine development. Something, I'm confident that no 'small manufacturer' or tuner has pursued. A small taste of what I was inferring by mentioning OE testing and durability standards.

I'm sure that Shelby has neither the time nor the capitol to invest in the same testing procedures as an automotive giant such as Ford Motor Company. Which brings me back to my original point. You are talking about installing parts that have applied for and received an exemption order number by the California Air Resources Board. You can't just bolt on a set of Tri Y's or slap on a Paxton anymore, which everyone here should be well aware of. Which brings us to Shelby's intent to add a FRPP/Whipple supercharger to the modern day rendition of the GT350.

In this case (A FRPP/Whipple supercharger) Ford Racing and/or Whipple would have been required to fill out and submit an application (Form C) that in essence requests an exemption from California's Vehicle Code Section (VC) 27156. If all the requirements are met (physical testing, paperwork, fees etc) the blower will be granted an exemption "if the product has been determined not to cause any increase in vehicular emissions".

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/forms/forms.htm

Thus the EO# is verification that the part is legal for sale and use upon a public highway (in CA, and for the most part everywhere else in the US), etc. It has nothing to do with durability testing relative to OE Ford mandate, precipitating an endless labyrinth of legal/warranty concerns on the consumer end, when adding items such as superchargers/turbochargers to an OE engine that was not originally equipped as such. That form of protection is assumed through a warranty (or lack thereof) that is either provided by you or FRPP (etc). In FRPP's case all "Ford Racing Performance Parts are sold "as is" with no warranty. A Limited Warranty is available for some select parts and will be denoted by the following logo...(a blue check mark)". This coming after FRPP makes the statement that "All Ford Racing Parts are aftermarket parts. Ford Racing Parts are not Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories. Therefore, they may not be used in any application that requires the use of Genuine Ford Parts or Accessories." At best, FRPP provides for a one year / 12,000 mile warranty, and only "when installed by an Authorized Dealer (Ford, Lincoln Mercury or Shelby Automotive) prior to the vehicle reaching either 36 months or 36,000 miles (whichever occurs first).

http://www.fordracingparts.com/announcements/news47.asp

So if you intend on having that statement changed to reflect an extension of the FRPP warranty program, I'm confident that potential GT350 owners wouldn't complain. This can go a thousand ways, very quickly, so I wont belabor the response to your "EO" or "extra warranty" comments. I have done my best to be pragmatic in my response, provide relevant links for further insight, while showing a sense of tact.

To which I ask as a potential consumer - I would hope that the powerplant, the centerpiece of your latest creation, may be enjoyed with the same unbridled enthusiasm and reverence as the original GT350 powerplant was. In other words, while repeatedly pushing it to the limits, I'd never want to have to worry about it.

Tob

For those who asked about stripes all the way down the back, here is a rendering. It looks very "fat" in person and really widens the rear. Because of the way the back is shaped this can not be done with vinyl stripes, since we offer painted stripes, we will consider this a painted option if someone wants it, I am checking with the team on extra costs.

Amy

My link

amy you quoted this car as being 3350 lbs. ( 570 lbs lighter than GT500 ). Was that a typo? A base, no option GT is 3603 lbs per Ford. Add a blower, intercooler, 20" wheels, big brakes.... how can it be 3350?

HEY CHRIS,

SCOTTY HERE, I WANTED TO CHIME IN ON THE WEIGHT OF THE GT350. I

RECENTLY TOOK MY SHELBY GT/SC OVER TO THE LOCAL TRUCK STOP AND

MY CAR WEIGHED 3,420 WITH A 1/2 TANK OF FUEL , BIG BRAKES ,

18" GT500 WHEELS/TIRES , GT REAR WING , SHAKER 1000 W/SUB

WOOFER AND NO DRIVER.

HOPE THIS HELPS.

SCOTTY

Archived