TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT350 vs. GT500. Which one is better?

Guys, this is a multi million dollar business and I base my decisions in a bad economy on what risks I can take and what I can't.

Amy

You are so right, Amy. You have a big responsibility towards a lot of people and in the end you make the decisions with your team. In my business we do the same. I can understand your position.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let me address what I can.... As I stated in another thread we have looked at Griggs last years for one of our packages and it was too expensive for our customers. That was OUR opinion. We are a manufacturer, not a hot rod shop, we have to meet all standards that ford and GM meet, we EPA, we EO.

That said the 350 is not a striped down racer and I am sure we would not have sold too many of those, that would be an R car and we might do one later. If you go to SAAC forums you will see Rick Kopec's post. He gets it. The original 1965 Shelby Gt350 was not successful. its a good read. This is not a version of the old Gt350, it is a car that pays homage to 65, 66 and 67 gt350 legacy.

You can all play armchair quarterback, but we have to build cars that will sell to the bigger group here. I already make niche vehicles for the track, SR, Don Phrudhome, Turbo, This is a road car with track abilities. We have never just made a "pretty"car, all of them are track ready.we have tried to make vehicles for everyone and I think we have done well with that.

You don't like the plastic, well, when we built the Shelby Gt, I got slammed on the web that it didn't have enough parts. I can not make everyone happy here, I do my best, I am listening but I will change or offer options on what we think will work overall.

The car is selling and selling very well, so someone likes it. that said, we can still take ideas and change some things. But as I also said many times, the fascias will be one piece, so the look will change a bit.

Griggs sent me a long email last night. it's the first I ever received from them. I will look at the parts and see what is possible for an upgrade, but I will use FFR for the suspension, they are our long term partners and were there when we started out.

Guys, this is a multi million dollar business and I base my decisions in a bad economy on what risks I can take and what I can't.

Amy

Amy,

I see your point. Well spoken and thought out reasoning. I respect that.

I'm very pleased that you will be looking into the "options" for the GT 350. Heck, if you build an option of the naturally aspirated GT 350 with the Griggs and a few additional things (cooling for brakes, C&R radiator, gauges, new intake and exhaust) I think I would sell my fully Griggs equipped GT 500 to buy the GT 350.

Dana

Amy,

Since you brought this up, what is the difference between a "Mod Shop" and a "Hot Rod Shop"?

As lightly brought up by another member in this thread, the upgrades/modifications are "Post Title" which in Fords eyes voids the warranty for these vehicles, and I see nothing in your brochures about any implied warranty.

Being the Old Schooler that I am, this to me would be considered "Hot Rodding" a car.

Both Saleen and Roush, offer a 3/36 warranty on they're pre-title modified cars, which to me would consider themselves "Mod Shops"

Seems as though the vehicles that you all modify/hot rod don't come with any warranties that I can see (correct me if I am wrong), but yet the vehicles that SVT builds, the GT500 and KR, in which just the "Shelby" name is attached to but not modified by, come with a factory Ford warranty.

Can you please shed some light on this???

Jeff

Jeff,

It's not always true that post title mods void Ford's warranty. Take for example the GT500 SuperSnake. This beast, in some configurations, does have a 12/12 power train warranty through Ford Motor Co.

On the difference between a "hot rod shop" vs. a "mod shop," Shelby doesn't supercharge vehicles without first obtaining an E.O. or executive order certification. Other shops that simply add components don't share this distinction. We are also obligated to meet certain Federal regulations.

Maybe somebody else from SAI can chime to with more info.

Well, in all honesty I suppose the Shelby GT is still the only auto "born" from Las Vegas eh?

Also the KR I think? Or am I mistaken?

Exactly. IMHO the new GT350 looks like a matchbox car. I've looked at it over the past couple days thinking about it......just came to me. Amy - Matchbox - GT350 look. No dis on Amy, but I think that's the look she might be used to. It seems the GT350 DNA is strip down Mustang with performance that's worthy on the track. Would have been great for this car to be ready for the road and various road racing circuits many drive in. This new GT350 is too flashy for everyday use....too overstated.

That's one of the things that makes the Shelby GT so attractive to me. It's got just the right amount of flash, in my opinion. It really turns the heads. To this day I cannot drive it down the road w/out stares and positive comments. Its a beautiful car...so much that even my GM friends talk about wanting one. That alone is pretty darn convincing!

Dont sweat it Amy....I've spent the last few days reading through all these threads and two things are obvious to me:

1. Some people just wont get that a car has to be built by the manufacturer to meet a least common denominator- in other words, a package that covers MOST of what the MOST BUYERS will want. It is up to them to take possession and tweak their own cars to suit their needs. If I dont like the suspension you put in my car, I can remove it and put in a Griggs, or a stock GT500 Lincoln suspension for that matter. Your customer base spans more demographic than any in the auto industry. Lets face it, ricers are a particular demograhic, you will never see a 60+ yr old republican man driving an unfast too furious car down the 101 with a coffee can sticking out the back bumper.(unless he jacked the car to catch up to the guy that just stole his Lexus) We have Shelby owners that are 16-90+, and every income bracket that can find a way to afford one. Talk about no way to make everyone happy? Well, you have that job, and Im glad its you and not me!

2. Many of the SGT and GT500/KR guys are going to have sour grapes over this new model. SOME SGT guys always had it in their minds that THEY had the GT350, if only in spirit, and don't like having that security blanket removed. They dont like all the new models because when they bought, I guess many thought SAI would do their car, maybe one more and fade out of business. SOME GT500 guys are feeling the pressure that there is a new kid on the block that comes equipped with HP that competes with their cars...I dont, and many on here dont either, but some do...

Please know that a good majority got your back, are proud of what is being done, understand what it means to run a multi-million dollar company, be responsible for feeding hundreds of employees and their families, and keeping a legacy and reputation that are damn near impossible to touch. Please take small critiques and see what can be worked in and ignore the riff raff that obviously just dont get the big picture.

I may seem like I enjoy being around people and social, but the truth is I dont like the vast majority of people and really dont like large crowds. (borderline phobia of mine) It gets worse as I age, but I can say that I truly enjoy the company of almost everyone I know here, and dont know what I would do if I didnt have this outlet. My Shelby(s) are my passion, my enthusiasm, my identity...

From one Shelby enthusiast to another, thank you for what you do for us and the time you spend with us to really get what we dream about. SAI is a success BECAUSE it is made up of enthusiasts just like us. :salute:

I/we know one owner who just turned 87 years old and has a bunch of Shelby's, including 2011 GT350 CSM#1 :salute:

Amy,

Since you brought this up, what is the difference between a "Mod Shop" and a "Hot Rod Shop"?

As lightly brought up by another member in this thread, the upgrades/modifications are "Post Title" which in Fords eyes voids the warranty for these vehicles, and I see nothing in your brochures about any implied warranty.

Being the Old Schooler that I am, this to me would be considered "Hot Rodding" a car.

Both Saleen and Roush, offer a 3/36 warranty on they're pre-title modified cars, which to me would consider themselves "Mod Shops"

Seems as though the vehicles that you all modify/hot rod don't come with any warranties that I can see (correct me if I am wrong), but yet the vehicles that SVT builds, the GT500 and KR, in which just the "Shelby" name is attached to but not modified by, come with a factory Ford warranty.

Can you please shed some light on this???

Jeff

A few comments......

Jeff we are a manufacturer, not a shop that does mods, so we answer to a higher authority. Thats all, we can't just do engine mods and headers,

Warren thank you for that, I appreciate it.

Jay, yes we have had issues before. But you have your opinions as well as I do, but you have to air them in an insulting way,?why say we have no passion, what do you base that on , the fact you don't like our car? The fact I don'tuse a product you like? Wow, last time I looked, we all have choices. It looks like you think the new Gt350 is an R car, it is not. So lets differ on design and other items, but keep the personal out of it.

And I said that Griggs is also cost prohibitive as well as being in bankruptcy. We have a relationship with Ford and on releases I try to use all their products, I already said I have been in contact with Griggs for upgrades, but not "out of the gate releases" That we do with FORD as Carroll has done for 45+ YEARS..... It's history.

I will tell you now, we build cars with expectations in Mind, we have track cars, we have Drag cars, This is road car that can can also be used on the track. It is not an R car.

And for the record if you think you represent Griggs in a good light you don't I will now reconsider even dealing with them if this is the type of myopic, insulting behavior I should expect. Maybe you should take that "passion" down a notch..... you have done them no favors here tonight.

BUT... I love the "their booth is bigger then your booth....lol, very funny"

For the others.... Griggs might be a good fit if we do a R model, not sure if we will, do one , maybe an upgrade to the current models, we will discuss it.

But from a business side of the shop, it is impossible to get funding and insurances without telling your partners you've picked a company in bankruptcy, In this economy you have to be really be careful and these things take discussion offline between possible partners not on the website..Guys you need to think it all thru, also, i just can't explain everything here, online

and to those who think a quick shot or swipe will get you noticed, it will and I will remove you, I do this site not because its my job to do it but because I like answering the questions I can, I think it makes the site better and helps all the owners, Its a passion do this. ............but I will not be insulted or talked to like some here think is ok.

If you have something to say, say it with respect that you deserve back and we can help each other.

Amy

Ok, my thoughts:

Yes, the site is a valuable tool for Shelby. They have their hand on the pulse of Shelby enthusiasts and can look to what the majority wants. Hearing negative stuff, as long as it's done tastefully, is just as important. Are there things i'd change about the car if I ran the company?, you bet. That's the beauty of this site, it gives us all a voice. People just need to be civil. Taking shots is childish if you ask me.

Now, back on topic. Which is better. the GT-350 or GT-500? Kinda depends on what you'll be doing with the car. I'll take the GT-500 for the strip and save the GT-350 for the track. On the street?, it's a toss up.

For the others.... Griggs might be a good fit if we do a R model, not sure if we will, do one , maybe an upgrade to the current models, we will discuss it.

But from a business side of the shop, it is impossible to get funding and insurances without telling your partners you've picked a company in bankruptcy, In this economy you have to be really be careful and these things take discussion offline between possible partners not on the website..Guys you need to think it all thru, also, i just can't explain everything here, online

Amy

Amy,

Even though I'm a big Griggs fan I see the BK issue. I work for a publicly traded company with over 2,000 employees worldwide. Sometimes you just can't do things outside the sandbox, if you know what I mean. They will soon be out of BK and I look forward to the day that Shelby and Griggs partner on a GTR 350; a simple, raw, hardcore street car that can eat Porsche's on the road course.

Note, I'm not talking about a race car here, just something that Shelby can build and trash everything Porsche, BMW, Honda, Toyota, or Nissan (with the exception of the Nissan GTR) can build. Right now there is no Shelby Mustang that can hang with these aforementioned cars on the track, not even close. Think about that for a moment. Wouldn't that be a headline that you want next to the Shelby brand name? It is my opinion, take it for what you will, there is a lot of demand for such a car. The recipe for success on this, as you pointed out, is to build it so it can be sold below $70K (includes the cost of buying the stock Mustang GT). I think it can be done. Who knows, we may be surprised that if you build such a car that it may sell in more volume than the GT 350.

I hope you did not find my posts disrespectful or insulting. My viewpoints about Griggs are not myopic, but rather just based on my anecdotal experience with the company and the car. Please understand that most of us who have purchased and used Griggs products are very passionate about there products because they are incredible and they work. It is almost like you have an on-board computer drving your car as driving errors seem to get self corrected, So if my posts seemed disprectful or insulting I apologize.

Griggs is a great company and are great people. Please come out and visit them at Petaluma someday. Infineon Raceway is just around the corner from there and you can experience the handling of these cars in person.

Also, I'm sincere about what I said before about buying a GTR 350 with a Griggs suspension. I would gladly trade in my GT 500 for such a car. A GTR 350 will be more balanced and lighter.

Respectfully,

Dana

Amy,

Even though I'm a big Griggs fan I see the BK issue. I work for a publicly traded company with over 2,000 employees worldwide. Sometimes you just can't do things outside the sandbox, if you know what I mean. They will soon be out of BK and I look forward to the day that Shelby and Griggs partner on a GT 350R; a simple, raw, hardcore street car that can eat Porsche's on the road course.

Note, I'm not talking about a race car here, just something that Shelby can build and trash everything Porsche, BMW, Honda, Toyota, or Nissan (with the exception of the Nissan GTR) can build. Right now there is no Shelby Mustang that can hang with these aforementioned cars on the track, not even close. Think about that for a moment. Wouldn't that be a headline that you want next to the Shelby brand name? It is my opinion, take it for what you will, there is a lot of demand for such a car. The recipe for success on this, as you pointed out, is to build it so it can be sold below $70K (includes the cost of buying the stock Mustang GT). I think it can be done. Who knows, we may be surprised that if you build such a car that it may sell in more volume than the GT 350.

I hope you did not find my posts disrespectful or insulting. My viewpoints about Griggs are not myopic, but rather just based on my anecdotal experience with the company and the car. Please understand that most of us who have purchased and used Griggs products are very passionate about there products because they are incredible and they work. It is almost like you have an on-board computer drving your car as driving errors seem to get self corrected, So if my posts seemed disprectful or insulting I apologize.

Griggs is a great company and are great people. Please come out and visit them at Petaluma someday. Infineon Raceway is just around the corner from there and you can experience the handling of these cars in person.

Also, I'm sincere about what I said before about buying a GT 350R with a Griggs suspension. I would gladly trade in my GT 500 for such a car. A GT 350 R will be more balanced and lighter.

Respectfully,

Dana

Thanks Dana you were fine, I have talked and emailed Colin and he seems like a great guy. My guys are well aware of Griggs and like their stuff, In the past it has been cost prohibative for us, but we will meet with them and see what happens.

I am always open to new ideas and most of you know that, but as Dana said, I am responsible froma business side and I have to juggle that as well

Thanks Dana

Amy

Thanks Dana you were fine, I have talked and emailed Colin and he seems like a great guy. My guys are well aware of Griggs and like their stuff, In the past it has been cost prohibative for us, but we will meet with them and see what happens.

I am always open to new ideas and most of you know that, but as Dana said, I am responsible froma business side and I have to juggle that as well

Thanks Dana

Amy

Amy,

I echo everything Dana wrote. In fact, I wish I had written it :hysterical:

I also appreciate your response very much. I know first hand the cost factor involved with this particular product, but would make the same decision again in a heartbeat. It is that good. Hopefully with the range of choices they have now developed, there will be a way to make the dollars part of the equation work. Both companies would benefit greatly, IMHO.

Wow, this has become interesting. I want to thank all of you that posted in support of GR, we very much appreciate it. Your enthusiasm is what keeps us going and is right there with us at all times.

I only ask one thing...

You need to know that Griggs is a guest here, nothing more and as the thread asks please provide constructive feedback. Taking shots at anyone will not be tolerated. While we have no past with Shelby I would sure hate to loose the possibility of any future.

Know what I mean?

You guys truly are awesome and your enthusiasm and support are again what keep us going. Lots of good things to come this year and we'll make sure to keep you all posted.

Thank you again.

Sincerely,

Colin Sebern

Griggs Racing

If I could afford both, id get one of these new gt 350's. That being said the only things i would change on the entire car are these three things:

1) The lettering on the rear needs to go higher. Thats it. The rear otherwise looks fine. It got rid of the rediculousness that is the stock rear end.

2) The GT 350 in the stripes. You lose that, the stripes are fantastic.

3) The A-Pillar gauge pod. Use the S.O.S. one for a cleaner look and the interior after that pioint is flawless.

I wouldnt drop my 500 for one, and id choose a 500 over this everytime. Theres more potential in a 500 and the 350 seems bordering tapped out, but all the same i think this car is pretty sexy for what it is. Kudos SAI.

Hey there all,

I think many people here miss the point of what is unique about this forum.

The fact that Shelby is such an open business that the president of the company is willing to engage with their customers in public forums and provide as much feedback as possible is amazing. !!!!!!!!

Amy and team have done wonders for shelby, remember where shelby was just 5 years ago !!!

I love my Shelby, and if it wasnt for Amy helping me out myself i would not have #15 SS down here in Australia, and i own eternal gratitude to her for that.

I decided to add Griggs Racing Suspension, a full ST package including Watts Link, to track my car occasionally and help put the power to the road. I do believe i was the first Super Snake owner to do so.

I absolutely love my Griggs package, and the people there have being fantastic and i believe in their passion.

However, not once have i critised Shelby for not adding Griggs etc, they do the best they can to support the General buying public. I do not think that Griggs is for everyone and it does come at a price (cost, NVH etc). If shelby were able to add an "option" albeit expensive to add a Griggs package to their cars, i do believe buyers would take them up on it, and the cars built would not only look the best, but also be some of the best performing cars in the world. (I would also love to have the Griggs added as an official Shelby authorised improvement, as it was installed by the only Authorised Shelby Mod shop in Australia).

If anyone has any doubt....come down under and take a drive of the best looking car in Australia, Shelby Super Snake with Griggs Suspension.

Best regards to Amy and to Bruce at Griggs.

Jason

p.s As to the GT350 vs GT500, I love both, if i had to choose one....id take the GT350, limited quantities and can easily be hardened up, but im not selling my SS for the GT350.

I love my 500 but would love to add a 350 to the stable. I think the 350 is very well done and if SAI would allow us customers the "option" of deleting/changing some of the exterior features - I'd be thrilled. Keep up the good work - much appreciated. Email inquiry sent.

Which is better?

A fantastic street machine is not a very competative track car. Ask any PCA, NASA, SCCA racer.

A podium road course racer would be a horrible street machine.

A great drag car would be a horrific road course car.

etc, etc.

These are different cars that have their own target audience as well as their own special niche.

A true car nut cannot have enough options - I agree it is all about what experience you are looking for and what you want your car to do for you.

"Slightly" spirited summer driving with my wife and kids (or buds) with excellent accoustical exhaust notes: I'll drive my GT500 Conv

More adventurous solo visceral driving closer to the edge: I'm gonna reach for the keys of the 350 (iffin I can get one approved by the "boss")

Hard core track driving: I'll take a properly sorted GT3 or Z06 until the 350R is ready.

Every consumer has a level of expectations that has to be met - As a consumer, one car cannot do everything for me so I must find a product or products to meet each of my expectation levels.

I see the 350 as the wonderful gap filler between the stock 500 (esp the conv) and the current pack leading road course machines. mentioned above.

If one car could do it all, nobody would have made the 2nd.

JMHO

I love my 500 but would love to add a 350 to the stable. I think the 350 is very well done and if SAI would allow us customers the "option" of deleting/changing some of the exterior features - I'd be thrilled. Keep up the good work - much appreciated. Email inquiry sent.

Which is better?

A fantastic street machine is not a very competative track car. Ask any PCA, NASA, SCCA racer.

A podium road course racer would be a horrible street machine.

A great drag car would be a horrific road course car.

etc, etc.

These are different cars that have their own target audience as well as their own special niche.

A true car nut cannot have enough options - I agree it is all about what experience you are looking for and what you want your car to do for you.

"Slightly" spirited summer driving with my wife and kids (or buds) with excellent accoustical exhaust notes: I'll drive my GT500 Conv

More adventurous solo visceral driving closer to the edge: I'm gonna reach for the keys of the 350 (iffin I can get one approved by the "boss")

Hard core track driving: I'll take a properly sorted GT3 or Z06 until the 350R is ready.

Every consumer has a level of expectations that has to be met - As a consumer, one car cannot do everything for me so I must find a product or products to meet each of my expectation levels.

I see the 350 as the wonderful gap filler between the stock 500 (esp the conv) and the current pack leading road course machines. mentioned above.

If one car could do it all, nobody would have made the 2nd.

JMHO

Very good reply, I agree 100%, one car can not be all things to all people.

That said, I agree with most that the stock GT500 is not a great track car and could not keep up with lets say a stock BMW M5 being driven by the average driver. Both vehicles that have alot of power but two different purposes and target customers.

As Jim Owens was quoted saying that the GT350 is a $60,000.00 sports car. That really puts it in perspective for me. If the GT350 could out perform the BMW M5 (or all the other Hi-Perf coupes for that matter) for less money, count me in!

After all look at what you would be getting for $60 grand;

American made, Shelby heritage, limited production, a car that is unmistakable (I mean really, other than the Cadillac CTS all the rest look the same to me) and parts that don't cost an arm and a leg!

JMO, Mark

BTW, Thanks for this forum and letting us voice our opinions!

With the introduction of the 2011 GT350, I've started to see numerous comments on which Shelby is better - the GT350 or the GT500?

In reality, the question is best answered based on how you plan on driving your Shelby and not which one has more horsepower, etc. shift.gif

During the 1960s, the issue of which Shelby was better wasn't really an issue at all. This is primarily because people choose their Shelby "weapon of choice" based on the intended use. This is still true today.

GT350: The GT350 was originally designed for street and road course racing...a real road course warrior.

GT500: The GT500s on the other hand were more strip and touring oriented.

Whichever Shelby you prefer, remember that they serve vastly different purposes so don't compare their horsepower or spec. for spec. but rather for how you intend to drive it. wink.gif

Not much to improve on the 2010 GT500. I personally can't see going to a "brand" new model when you can have possibly the best stock shelby of all time. Unless my money tree is in full bloom.

I've only gotten to play with a GT500 on a track (1 lap around a 1.7) so I wouldn't know the difference. So with that being said I envy all of you that own a Dodge or Ford Shelby, it doesn't matter. I wish I could be driving something that has so much history and respect behind it. I like the GT 350, the only problem I had with it was that it's not in my drive way. So kudos to Amy and SAI for bringing the GT 350 name back. :salute:

IMO,They are both winners in their own settings.

I love both of them for 2 different purposes. They both look great. The GT500 for ballz out straight line performance, and with stickier wider tires and S/C,exhaust and suspension mods etc, and its a terror goin down the 1/4 mile. And the new GT350, I was hoping for the circuit track courses.

I agree they both are just as important in the Shelby world, and you said well when you said the GT350 was originally designed for street and road course racing...a real road course warrior.

I race cars on a circuit track at The Glen where I live and lighter is usually always better for these type of tracks.....and the GT350's heritage is about lighter, more nimble car with great handling characteristics, and not being the same weight as the GT500, would REALLY help alot on these types of tracks

That being said, and especially being car will be limited in production,and the car looks pretty cool, I would love for the new GT350 to be lighter than its near 4000lb weight, say 3500lbs or so, NA new modified 5.0, say 550+HP coming from cams,tune,exhaust,forged internals,heads, maybe even stroked if possible as a option,etc) and keep the heavier S/C(especially being the new 5.0 is a higher compression engine) for the GT500 and such. Back seat delete would be cool too with built in roll bar. I would love to see some classic hood pins and classic style wider wheels and tires on it as well with griggs suspension as an option. And a classic white cueball type shifter similiar to the 2010 GT500. Move the shelby name up on rear end and continue stripes down back end, alittle less and more classy badging all the way around....and This BABY is Born for the circuit track!....and in my garage :shift: Or maybe Carroll and Amy (hint-hint) hear and see this and they make a radical "R" model GT350 in the near future for us old circuit track gearheads. :D

So, If GT350 stays as it is with no changes, and even though it being a great handling "heavier" interpetation, I would then say for my needs the new 2011 GT500 would be better in the long run, with the approx 100lb less off the front end from its new all aluminum 5.4 , would bring weight to 3800 lbs or so. I would then add the suspension, exhaust, tune,s/c ,engine etc mods to make it handle and perform better. But dollar for dollar they are both great cars in their own settings

Either way, Carroll and Amy and Gary and Bud and the whole Shelby American Crew should be commended for bringing our dreams into reality by bringing back the much herald circuit track and street fighting terror, called The GT350, as well as the GT500! :shades:

ps- I believe every shelby enthusiast should have 1 of each whenever possible :yahoo:

I love you man! :salute:

2 Shelby's would be nice. Problem is I want the Terlingua! Can only be one Performance white/vista blue in my family. :dance:

See you on May 13th when I'm in Vegas. If you are in. Will come out and pay my dues for the new year. Looking forward to meeting Amy if she's there.

Thanks Dana

Amy

Amy,

I just want to thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide as much feedback online as you have lately. Truly awesome to get direct feedback from the President of the company who has a million things on her plate. This is why I love Ford and Shelby so much. I was already loyal, but this takes it to another level. Ok enough of the brown nosing. I am a Griggs owner as well. in fact I am completing the SS package on my car in the next few months. John, Bruce and Colin are truly great people and I hope you can work something out. As Dana said, I would sell my Griggs GT500 as well for a GTR 350 with a Griggs system. You really should go out for a ride in one of their cars. Colin spent the day taking me out in his Griggs Mustang GT at Infineon and I was very impressed. Then I went to their shop and John Griggs took me out in the red Griggs Mustand GT and it sealed the deal. Not only does it perform incredibly, it's street manners are remarkable. Keep us posted, fingers crossed and good luck.

Regards,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

You really should go out for a ride in one of their cars. Colin spent the day taking me out in his Griggs Mustang GT at Infineon and I was very impressed. Then I went to their shop and John Griggs took me out in the red Griggs Mustand GT and it sealed the deal. Not only does it perform incredibly, it's street manners are remarkable. Keep us posted, fingers crossed and good luck.

Regards,

Jim

You'll be pleased to know that at this very moment Griggs cars are being transported to Las Vegas for a bit of racetrack "show and tell." I was at the Griggs shop on Friday having a few adjustments made as they were readying their cars for the trip. In addition to Colin's blue N/A car and the red S/C car, they're also sending their recently completed 2010 Grabber Blue GT project car equipped with the SS suspension setup. It should be interesting. I also must add that I have never dealt with a group of individuals more sincerely dedicated to complete customer satisfaction.

Dont sweat it Amy....I've spent the last few days reading through all these threads and two things are obvious to me:

1. Some people just wont get that a car has to be built by the manufacturer to meet a least common denominator- in other words, a package that covers MOST of what the MOST BUYERS will want. It is up to them to take possession and tweak their own cars to suit their needs. If I dont like the suspension you put in my car, I can remove it and put in a Griggs, or a stock GT500 Lincoln suspension for that matter. Your customer base spans more demographic than any in the auto industry. Lets face it, ricers are a particular demograhic, you will never see a 60+ yr old republican man driving an unfast too furious car down the 101 with a coffee can sticking out the back bumper.(unless he jacked the car to catch up to the guy that just stole his Lexus) We have Shelby owners that are 16-90+, and every income bracket that can find a way to afford one. Talk about no way to make everyone happy? Well, you have that job, and Im glad its you and not me!

2. Many of the SGT and GT500/KR guys are going to have sour grapes over this new model. SOME SGT guys always had it in their minds that THEY had the GT350, if only in spirit, and don't like having that security blanket removed. They dont like all the new models because when they bought, I guess many thought SAI would do their car, maybe one more and fade out of business. SOME GT500 guys are feeling the pressure that there is a new kid on the block that comes equipped with HP that competes with their cars...I dont, and many on here dont either, but some do...

Please know that a good majority got your back, are proud of what is being done, understand what it means to run a multi-million dollar company, be responsible for feeding hundreds of employees and their families, and keeping a legacy and reputation that are damn near impossible to touch. Please take small critiques and see what can be worked in and ignore the riff raff that obviously just dont get the big picture.

I may seem like I enjoy being around people and social, but the truth is I dont like the vast majority of people and really dont like large crowds. (borderline phobia of mine) It gets worse as I age, but I can say that I truly enjoy the company of almost everyone I know here, and dont know what I would do if I didnt have this outlet. My Shelby(s) are my passion, my enthusiasm, my identity...

From one Shelby enthusiast to another, thank you for what you do for us and the time you spend with us to really get what we dream about. SAI is a success BECAUSE it is made up of enthusiasts just like us. :salute:

+ 100% Amy you are doing an awesome job.

Scotty

I don't think "many" SGT, GT500 or KR owners have sour grapes. I don't know where you find the basis to make that statementt.

I like the new GT350. Its kinda grown on me. I still would not in any way, shape form or manner trade my KR for one though. No way. Not even close. And I could but have no interest in giving up my KR for one.

Our SGT may not be as fast but to my eyes is just a nice looking for 1/3 the price.

Both of the above are also pre title Shelbys which to me is an advantage over post title conversions.

To each his own.

Well, I know MANY SGT owners, and I make my statement based on first hand conversations and some comments here on the website...

I also have had many who have told me they really like it...

I have seen several posts that the SGT was the "real" GT350, so thats the basis for the sour grapes comment....Keep in mind, I didnt say everyone...

Im sure there are "many" members here who think Im a total d-bag, but hey, opinions are like gas....some are loud with nothing behind them, some are silent but deadly, and some accidentally have substance... :hysterical:

For me it is not about which one is better. All Shelbys are great cars for their time period in automotive histrory. Driving style also dictates performance needs..

All the Shelbys built today will be part of the Shelby history that folks are and will be reading about 40 years fom now. As they say with the GTH, we did it in 1966 we are doing it in 2006. Only Shelby can say that. Now they can say it with the GT350. With that said, I do beleive the GTH & SGT do have the Gt350 heritage behind it. Sorry it's about the GT350 vs GT 500. I like and appreciate the differences of both.

Great job SAI .

I think it was more the press then SAI that compared or touted the SGT as the new GT350 when it first came out.

One car is naturally aspirated non supercharged and Pre title the other is newer, faster and way more expensive and a post title conversion.

Both are nice on is just more expensive and faster. But...with a little money the SGT can also be made into a sereeamer for alot less.

As to the GT500 vs. the GT350. No replacement for displacement. The GT500 with very little effort can be made into a metal crushing monster way beyond the limits of the new 5.0.

Yup, I have to agree with that...but I would also include uninformed Ford dealers in the group with media....I had multiple salespersons tell me the SGT was the "new GT350", which is why I dont hold anything against the Shelby enthusiasts that have had that preconception...afterall, its what the were told in many instances.

I have a GT500, and I do love the unlimited mod capabilities of the 5.4, it is a monster! No question about it. But on a track it is hard to keep up in the turns....now on an oval, or open road, there is no contest really from a highly modded 5.4, but the track road course with hairpins will eat your lunch, and your tires...

Archived