TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Shelby GT350 vs. GT500. Which one is better?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$33k for the GT350 package , but you don't get to keep your original take off parts.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I'd get a 2011 GT500 is I was buying a new one and if that wasnt enough then a 2011 SS but I am not seeing how this car fits any niche.

I don't think it will sell well. A better idea would to have just bring back the SGT.

I thought the original GT350 was about minimal and light weight NA road course dominance? This car will compete directly with a Roush Stage 3 and the new Saleen both of which get a fully forged motor and are not post title.

If I was rich, sure I would own a new GT350, but I'm not so the GT500 makes more sense, if a 500hp mustang makes sense lol

Do they allow you to keep the original parts if you SS the GT500? Serious question. :headscratch:

Maybe its looks will grow on me. I'm not crazy about it. Its a little too boy racer for me. But looks are subjective.. Obviously there are those that like it, those that don't and those that could take it or leave it.

I agree with those that would have like to see less "bling". I think with the GT350 "less would be more" so as to bring the car closer to its roots as a road racer. Drop the supercharger and add more power naturally by tuning improvments and performance mods. With the money saved on no supercharger concentrate on losing weight. Its after market so put in Racaro bucket seats; rear seat delete option for the hard core track guys, carbon fiber hood with feathered in traditional scoop; light weight torque thrust wheels for that "R" look; side exhaust and lose all the fins and front dams and the overly repetitive GT350 badging all over especially on the hood and give us Watts linkage instead.

The GT350 gained its fame on the race course not as a street brawler. It should be light, all business road racer, light on its feet with a high reving naturally aspirated engine.

The new car should have been the "GT350R" and a more finely honed race version of the SGT. and progression of the SGT which I thought was supposed to be the first successor to the orignal GT350.

Anyway...

The GT500, KR and SS are street brawlers in the muscle car class. They don't have road race heritage. They world is the world of the muscle car.

Totally different animals and persona.

I think the car would have been received better by more people had Shelby asked its market base for input. After all its a small niche market thats going to look at the this car so why not survey what most guys would want. I'd be willing to bet a majority would want something along the lines of what I've suggested.

The car is nice, don't get me wrong, I'm just saying it could have been better with less IMHO. I still think they will sell all 2200 and wish them the best with it. Its exclusivity, if Shelby keeps it limited will certainly add to the desireability of the car.

I still like the KR better though. But I'm biased when it comes to the KR :wub:

Colin, I dont care what suspension you put on that 5.4, its still unbalanced to have an edge on a track....Your only chance is an oval or a track with long long straightaways....but I still love my 500....and I agree griggs is a great setup....didnt hear about the bankruptcy tho...too bad.....sorry to hear that.

I kinda expected the SGT guys to get a little bent over this car....they always had it in their minds they had the succesor to the 350...both cars are good tho....all are actually!

Colin, I dont care what suspension you put on that 5.4, its still unbalanced to have an edge on a track....Your only chance is an oval or a track with long long straightaways....but I still love my 500....and I agree griggs is a great setup....didnt hear about the bankruptcy tho...too bad.....sorry to hear that.

I kinda expected the SGT guys to get a little bent over this car....they always had it in their minds they had the succesor to the 350...both cars are good tho....all are actually!

Well, in all honesty I suppose the Shelby GT is still the only auto "born" from Las Vegas eh?

Thanks dude,

Truthfully its old news, actually happened back on 12/01/09. And its all over a dispute with the landlord over tenant improvements. But its all good now. Lots of stuff shipping, and the shop is full of customer cars.

How's your car doing?

Colin

Yes, Griggs makes great stuff , if they didn't file for bankruptcy last week. that is why we use suppliers like FFR, Eibach, etc. They make great stuff and support it if there is an issue. Stability in these times is important

Amy

Griggs filing bankruptcy has not deterred me from doing business with them. It is only a CH 11 which means they will be in business for another 30 years Lord wiliing. As far as I can tell they are doing just fine. Business is picking up and they continue to install their products in Mustangs making them the fastest Mustangs on the road course, and downright the fastest cars in their class.

Nothing Shelby puts out now can even come close to the handling and performance of the Griggs systems. In fact, my opinion is that the GT 350 should have came with the Griggs suspension (Front SLA and Rear Watts). You infer that FFR and Eibach are comparable; sorry, no comparison, not even close.

CH 11 bankruptcy is temporal and will fade into the past as time moves forward. When they are out of CH 11, what excuse will you have not buy their GR40 systems for Shelby's?.

I'm telling you, putting their systems in these cars is incredible. Everything else I've experienced is very inferior. I've driven the Shelby with Roush, Steeda, FRPP and Eibach and it was always a very unsettling feeling behind the wheel. Right now I have over 650RWTQ and the response is very predictable; which is what you need at high speeds. In fact, the next step is the front SLA which is coming soon. I have no problem doing business with Bruce and John Griggs even though they are CH 11.

Anyway, your post made it sound like Griggs was on life support. That is far from the truth.

If the GT-350 came equipped with a Griggs GR40ST suspension (especially given the GT-350's supposed price tag), I would have mortgaged my house and kids to buy one already.

But it's Eibach and FRPP again apparently, so that will never happen. As for aesthetics, I dig the direction they've gone in. As for it's probable weight and ability on a road course, it's going to need Griggs to compete (or to get at my pocketbook).

Ken

Griggs filing bankruptcy has not deterred me from doing business with them. It is only a CH 11 which means they will be in business for another 30 years Lord wiliing. As far as I can tell they are doing just fine. Business is picking up and they continue to install their products in Mustangs making them the fastest Mustangs on the road course, and downright the fastest cars in their class.

Nothing Shelby puts out now can even come close to the handling and performance of the Griggs systems. In fact, my opinion is that the GT 350 should have came with the Griggs suspension (Front SLA and Rear Watts). You infer that FFR and Eibach are comparable; sorry, no comparison, not even close.

CH 11 bankruptcy is temporal and will fade into the past as time moves forward. When they are out of CH 11, what excuse will you have not buy their GR40 systems for Shelby's?.

I'm telling you, putting their systems in these cars is incredible. Everything else I've experienced is very inferior. I've driven the Shelby with Roush, Steeda, FRPP and Eibach and it was always a very unsettling feeling behind the wheel. Right now I have over 650RWTQ and the response is very predictable; which is what you need at high speeds. In fact, the next step is the front SLA which is coming soon. I have no problem doing business with Bruce and John Griggs even though they are CH 11.

Anyway, your post made it sound like Griggs was on life support. That is far from the truth.

a bankruptcy is not good fit business and when you want to make 1000+ cars you dont do it with a company in bankruptcy. That said we will look at the product I believe we had before but it was cost prohibitive. Again we will take s look.

Well, in all honesty I suppose the Shelby GT is still the only auto "born" from Las Vegas eh?

Well... Terlingua, Prudhomme, SS, etc etc etc... there are a few Vegas cars.

But, on topic, I still believe that there are marketing/politics/licensing involved, or the SGT would have been called the GT350 back in 2007.

No insult to Shelby, of course, but this new car is NOT (to me) the embodiment of the GT350 "spirit", to MY way of thinking.

The GT350 was a Mustang that Shelby modified to make more balanced and capable on the racetrack. The SGT seemed like a similar project.

As for the new car, the supercharger, "Roush-ish plastic parts", etc. is plenty fun for some, but.... not a GT350.

It's probably not helping that I dislike the 2010+ Mustang look. My wife said it best: "It looks like YOUR car, just SQUINTING". So I'm biased. I can't expect Shelby to have a huge multi-thousand unit back stock of the 2005-2009 Mustangs for modification. They play the cards they're dealt.

Ultimately, I'm never going to discourage the Shelby company from being a great company that is profitable from making great cars that enthusiasts enjoy. That's the bottom line. There is something for everyone in the lineup - turbos, drag cars, road racers, c'mon... who else has the heritage and know-how to do such cool Mustangs? Make mine a Shelby, thanks.

Just my opinions. Please send all agreement, dissent, marriage proposals, and lawsuits to Jer@goodluckwiththat.com.

Jer

p.s. "Roush-ish" is a trademarked term of mine, it may not be used without my written consent. :spiteful:

a bankruptcy is not good fit business and when you want to make 1000+ cars you dont do it with a company in bankruptcy. That said we will look at the product I believe we had before but it was cost prohibitive. Again we will take s look.

Amy, no one can argue with that.

Except people who have never had the responsibility of running a large business with customers, vendors, and employees to support. Not to mention the EPA, Federal safety regulations, CARB, and oh, yeah... a heritage that borders on RELIGION for some. Kudos to you, the challenges are myriad, and you've managed to move things forward for Shelby fans more than anyone in decades. Some folks forget, but the real "Shelby Melvins" owe you gratitude.

Jer

Amy, no one can argue with that.

Except people who have never had the responsibility of running a large business with customers, vendors, and employees to support. Not to mention the EPA, Federal safety regulations, CARB, and oh, yeah... a heritage that borders on RELIGION for some. Kudos to you, the challenges are myriad, and you've managed to move things forward for Shelby fans more than anyone in decades. Some folks forget, but the real "Shelby Melvins" owe you gratitude.

Jer

Got that right! And no one knows the exact "politics" behind the finding of the GT350 except those at SHELBY.

:salute:

There are those who do what they do because of their passion for the product, conversely, there are those who do what they do for the business acumen of the project; when you can combine the passion and a sound business acumen it can be a beautiful thing, both for the consumer and the manufacture. When Mr. Shelby and Mr. Tasca Sr. modified those first Bristol bodied Cobras they did it becuae of their passion for the cars and for racing, these men made their mark and changed history forever. After studying the history, I always got the impression that the money was not what drove Mr. Shelby in the late '50's through the '60's, it was the passion for the product , for racing and the desire to make the product the best it could be. This passion carried over to the Mustang GT350 project of the mid-1960's and rewrote the history books on what a factory race car was and what a OEM race car offering could be when turned over to individuals that had a passion for the product and the tallent to make it the best with what they had available at the time; this legacy carries on today with the FRPP factory turn-key race cars.

In the winter of 2008 I had a Super Snake reservation waiting for me at SAI, I had come from the Stangs Unleashed forum and I was a paid Team Shelby member, I was also a devoted follower of SAI and I had bought the product and wanted to make it better. I had gotten to know Griggs Racing through Jeff (Sprint200) here on the Team Shelby forum, he was the first one here that installed Griggs suspension components on his GT500 and spoke very highly of them and their suspension products, so much so that I took a drive up to Griggs Racing at their Infineon Raceway shops and sat with Colin and John Griggs and talked Mustangs, specifically my GT500, with them for an afternoon. I left there knowing that their passion for the Mustang was second to none. I cancelled my Super Snake reservation and spent $55,000 with Griggs Racing making my GT500 the best track car it could be.

I look at the new era GT350 and I say to myself, "Where's the passion?" I look at the new era GT350 and I say to myself, "Where's the history?" This is not my father's GT350, it is not the car that I was expecting it to be and I have to ask why? SAI knows what it takes to turn these cars into world class track cars, SAI looked over my GT500 at SEMA in 2008, they saw all the top-shelf Griggs parts and I even offered to let them test drive it afer the show at LVMS, but they never took me or Bruce Griggs up on the offer. Some at SAI may say this is because we had existing suppliers that we use and Griggs wasn't one of them, and some today say that Griggs is in bankruptcy and we deal with companies that are more sound then that; in November of 2008 Griggs Racing was not in bankruptcy, they had a bigger booth at SEMA that year then SAI did. Quite honestly, there is no other Mustang suspension manufacture that produces the products that Griggs does and unless you've driven one of these cars you haven't got a clue what the S197 Mustang's true potential is on the track.

Amy, you and I have butted heads before, this post is not intended to rehash our past differences, but for you to say that SAI doesn't do business with Griggs Racing because they are in bankruptcy is absurd and if SAI had the passion to make the GT350 live up to it's lineage it would be ridding on full Griggs Racing suspension and it wouldn't have a supercharger on it...

Just my .02 cents with no hard feelings, I truely hope it helps SAI sell more cars.

Respectfully,

Jay Johnson

WP64

There are those who do what they do because of their passion for the product, conversely, there are those who do what they do for the business acumen of the project; when you can combine the passion and a sound business acumen it can be a beautiful thing, both for the consumer and the manufacture. When Mr. Shelby and Mr. Tasca Sr. modified those first Bristol bodied Cobras they did it becuae of their passion for the cars and for racing, these men made their mark and changed history forever. After studying the history, I always got the impression that the money was not what drove Mr. Shelby in the late '50's through the '60's, it was the passion for the product , for racing and the desire to make the product the best it could be. This passion carried over to the Mustang GT350 project of the mid-1960's and rewrote the history books on what a factory race car was and what a OEM race car offering could be when turned over to individuals that had a passion for the product and the tallent to make it the best with what they had available at the time; this legacy carries on today with the FRPP factory turn-key race cars.

In the winter of 2008 I had a Super Snake reservation waiting for me at SAI, I had come from the Stangs Unleashed forum and I was a paid Team Shelby member, I was also a devoted follower of SAI and I had bought the product and wanted to make it better. I had gotten to know Griggs Racing through Jeff (Sprint200) here on the Team Shelby forum, he was the first one here that installed Griggs suspension components on his GT500 and spoke very highly of them and their suspension products, so much so that I took a drive up to Griggs Racing at their Infineon Raceway shops and sat with Colin and John Griggs and talked Mustangs, specifically my GT500, with them for an afternoon. I left there knowing that their passion for the Mustang was second to none. I cancelled my Super Snake reservation and spent $55,000 with Griggs Racing making my GT500 the best track car it could be.

I look at the new era GT350 and I say to myself, "Where's the passion?" I look at the new era GT350 and I say to myself, "Where's the history?" This is not my father's GT350, it is not the car that I was expecting it to be and I have to ask why? SAI knows what it takes to turn these cars into world class track cars, SAI looked over my GT500 at SEMA in 2008, they saw all the top-shelf Griggs parts and I even offered to let them test drive it afer the show at LVMS, but they never took me or Bruce Griggs up on the offer. Some at SAI may say this is because we had existing suppliers that we use and Griggs wasn't one of them, and some today say that Griggs is in bankruptcy and we deal with companies that are more sound then that; in November of 2008 Griggs Racing was not in bankruptcy, they had a bigger booth at SEMA that year then SAI did. Quite honestly, there is no other Mustang suspension manufacture that produces the products that Griggs does and unless you've driven one of these cars you haven't got a clue what the S197 Mustang's true potential is on the track.

Amy, you and I have butted heads before, this post is not intended to rehash our past differences, but for you to say that SAI doesn't do business with Griggs Racing because they are in bankruptcy is absurd and if SAI had the passion to make the GT350 live up to it's lineage it would be ridding on full Griggs Racing suspension and it wouldn't have a supercharger on it...

Just my .02 cent with no hard feelings, I truely hope it helps SAI sell more cars.

Respectfully,

Jay Johnson

WP64

Exactly. IMHO the new GT350 looks like a matchbox car. I've looked at it over the past couple days thinking about it......just came to me. Amy - Matchbox - GT350 look. No dis on Amy, but I think that's the look she might be used to. It seems the GT350 DNA is strip down Mustang with performance that's worthy on the track. Would have been great for this car to be ready for the road and various road racing circuits many drive in. This new GT350 is too flashy for everyday use....too overstated.

I don't think I could choose between the GT350 and the GT500 at this point. On Monday night when I watched the unveiling of the GT350 I thought the styling and interior were great! Although I was surprized to here about the Whipple SC being a component in the engine bay which means no strut tower brace for added handling. The real surprise came when they announced the estimated horsepower numbers which were over the 500 hp mark. Now these were just estimated numbers but it just seemed strange to me that they would build a car that would compete or potentially be faster then the gt500.

The price also caught me a little off guard.

Lastly I kept looking at the styling and thought to my self that the grill and front facia made me think of the Ronaele version of the mustang

In all I too thought the new gt350 would take up the area between the Mustang GT and the Shelby GT 500. I kind of wish it had but maybe this just makes good business sense for SAI.

Well one thing is for sure and that is it will make some happy new Shelby Mustang Fans!

HPIM02541.JPG

HPIM02541.JPG

All track junkies will be most pleased if you do look at the Griggs suspension for the GT 350. I understand the economics. Putting in the Griggs will sacrafice HP, but that is what the track junkies want and that is exactly what the "brand" of the GT 350 should be all about. The history of the GT 350 is about a track car and not something that goes fast down the drag strip.

I suggest you allow the consumer an option here. Call it the GT350R option. You don't have to put the GR40 TT racing stuff in it, just the SS package. That will not break the bank. Forget about the supercharger. Put the Shelby cooling package, Shelby brake cooling package, new intake and exhaust (all Shelby products), and the Griggs SS package in car and you have one fantastic car. I think this can be done for about the same price tag you have.

I do hope you are sincere about your offer to take a look at Griggs. If you want to make 'History" happen again and have people talk about the GT350 for years to come, here is your chance. Don't get me wrong about the current plans for the GT 350; I like what you have done but it isn't a true track car. Make it a true race car and put in the Griggs!

Let me address what I can.... As I stated in another thread we have looked at Griggs last years for one of our packages and it was too expensive for our customers. That was OUR opinion. We are a manufacturer, not a hot rod shop, we have to meet all standards that ford and GM meet, we EPA, we EO.

That said the 350 is not a striped down racer and I am sure we would not have sold too many of those, that would be an R car and we might do one later. If you go to SAAC forums you will see Rick Kopec's post. He gets it. The original 1965 Shelby Gt350 was not successful. its a good read. This is not a version of the old Gt350, it is a car that pays homage to 65, 66 and 67 gt350 legacy.

You can all play armchair quarterback, but we have to build cars that will sell to the bigger group here. I already make niche vehicles for the track, SR, Don Phrudhome, Turbo, This is a road car with track abilities. We have never just made a "pretty"car, all of them are track ready.we have tried to make vehicles for everyone and I think we have done well with that.

You don't like the plastic, well, when we built the Shelby Gt, I got slammed on the web that it didn't have enough parts. I can not make everyone happy here, I do my best, I am listening but I will change or offer options on what we think will work overall.

The car is selling and selling very well, so someone likes it. that said, we can still take ideas and change some things. But as I also said many times, the fascias will be one piece, so the look will change a bit.

Griggs sent me a long email last night. it's the first I ever received from them. I will look at the parts and see what is possible for an upgrade, but I will use FFR for the suspension, they are our long term partners and were there when we started out.

Guys, this is a multi million dollar business and I base my decisions in a bad economy on what risks I can take and what I can't.

Amy

Exactly. IMHO the new GT350 looks like a matchbox car. I've looked at it over the past couple days thinking about it......just came to me. Amy - Matchbox - GT350 look. No dis on Amy, but I think that's the look she might be used to. It seems the GT350 DNA is strip down Mustang with performance that's worthy on the track. Would have been great for this car to be ready for the road and various road racing circuits many drive in. This new GT350 is too flashy for everyday use....too overstated.

I might be used too???? what kind of crack is that? this is why when you guys go on the web, and people dont listen, your rude and quite frankly stupid. You take pot shots at people who try to listen and you insult their position, their knowledge. I don't know everything Shelby and never saaid I did. and It is not my job to do so, but I have people who do. and I work with vintage experts who know more then I could ever learn. You know nothing about me, or what I know.

as a point fo information for you, I didn't run Matchbox, so if you'r going to take a swipe, maybe you should check your facts.

Amy

Yes, Griggs makes great stuff , if they didn't file for bankruptcy last week. that is why we use suppliers like FFR, Eibach, etc. They make great stuff and support it if there is an issue. Stability in these times is important

Amy

Amy,

Thank you for taking time to reply to may post.

I hope you will consider taking a look a second look at building say a R model with Full Griggs suspension, N/A motor, Van's Radiator, Racing seats, rollbar & harnesses, minimal grapics/body changes ala 1965.

Thought this is what I would like to have seen on the standard GT350.

IMO the auto press and public would Love this one, and take it Racing too! Shelby's leading the pack!

Thank you, Mark

This GT350 has grown on me and i like it. Shelby knows how to make a car sit compared to the jacked up rear on GT500. I know it's not that hard to lower a GT500 but why can't Ford see to it. If you look @ the ltd production #'s and that it won't be a daily driver then this car has come full circle in 45 years. Can't wait to see one in person. Nice job to all who worked on this once in a lifetime "Shelby GT350".This thing should ROCK !!!!

Dont sweat it Amy....I've spent the last few days reading through all these threads and two things are obvious to me:

1. Some people just wont get that a car has to be built by the manufacturer to meet a least common denominator- in other words, a package that covers MOST of what the MOST BUYERS will want. It is up to them to take possession and tweak their own cars to suit their needs. If I dont like the suspension you put in my car, I can remove it and put in a Griggs, or a stock GT500 Lincoln suspension for that matter. Your customer base spans more demographic than any in the auto industry. Lets face it, ricers are a particular demograhic, you will never see a 60+ yr old republican man driving an unfast too furious car down the 101 with a coffee can sticking out the back bumper.(unless he jacked the car to catch up to the guy that just stole his Lexus) We have Shelby owners that are 16-90+, and every income bracket that can find a way to afford one. Talk about no way to make everyone happy? Well, you have that job, and Im glad its you and not me!

2. Many of the SGT and GT500/KR guys are going to have sour grapes over this new model. SOME SGT guys always had it in their minds that THEY had the GT350, if only in spirit, and don't like having that security blanket removed. They dont like all the new models because when they bought, I guess many thought SAI would do their car, maybe one more and fade out of business. SOME GT500 guys are feeling the pressure that there is a new kid on the block that comes equipped with HP that competes with their cars...I dont, and many on here dont either, but some do...

Please know that a good majority got your back, are proud of what is being done, understand what it means to run a multi-million dollar company, be responsible for feeding hundreds of employees and their families, and keeping a legacy and reputation that are damn near impossible to touch. Please take small critiques and see what can be worked in and ignore the riff raff that obviously just dont get the big picture.

I may seem like I enjoy being around people and social, but the truth is I dont like the vast majority of people and really dont like large crowds. (borderline phobia of mine) It gets worse as I age, but I can say that I truly enjoy the company of almost everyone I know here, and dont know what I would do if I didnt have this outlet. My Shelby(s) are my passion, my enthusiasm, my identity...

From one Shelby enthusiast to another, thank you for what you do for us and the time you spend with us to really get what we dream about. SAI is a success BECAUSE it is made up of enthusiasts just like us. :salute:

Amy,

Since you brought this up, what is the difference between a "Mod Shop" and a "Hot Rod Shop"?

As lightly brought up by another member in this thread, the upgrades/modifications are "Post Title" which in Fords eyes voids the warranty for these vehicles, and I see nothing in your brochures about any implied warranty.

Being the Old Schooler that I am, this to me would be considered "Hot Rodding" a car.

Both Saleen and Roush, offer a 3/36 warranty on they're pre-title modified cars, which to me would consider themselves "Mod Shops"

Seems as though the vehicles that you all modify/hot rod don't come with any warranties that I can see (correct me if I am wrong), but yet the vehicles that SVT builds, the GT500 and KR, in which just the "Shelby" name is attached to but not modified by, come with a factory Ford warranty.

Can you please shed some light on this???

Jeff

Archived