TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Removing Door Panels - Need Advice

hwhunter

Hello all,

I need to remove both door panels. Since they are 20+ years old and may have never been removed, I know I can benefit from your recommendations.

Any simple tricks to make the job easier?

Problem areas to watch for?

Brittle or fragile areas to approach with care?

Plus, anything else you think I should be aware of. I'd rather be cautious than sorry.

Thanks,

Trey

Hello all,

I need to remove both door panels. Since they are 20+ years old and may have never been removed, I know I can benefit from your recommendations.

Any simple tricks to make the job easier?

Problem areas to watch for?

Brittle or fragile areas to approach with care?

Plus, anything else you think I should be aware of. I'd rather be cautious than sorry.

Thanks,

Trey

Trey,

For mine I just shoved a screwdriver in there and popped them off. Rather simple and fast but that is how mine came off and no broken parts.

Bob

That's what I needed to know. Thanks Bob!

You can remove the door panels with a screwdriver.

But, every once in awhile, they can be stubbonr and refuse to budge.

There is a door panel removal tool that you can buy at most auto parts stores. This include Harbor Freight and Sears.

The one I've seen at Harbor Freight has several styles in 1 kit. Nice to have if you have if you mess with door panels a lot.

There is a generic one made by Lisle Tools that I use when I go junkyarding. Works perfectly without damaging the door panels.

Hope that helps.

Ray

Central California

Thanks for the assistance Bob and Ray. I wanted to make sure that I do not break anything, and feel more confident after reading both your replies.

I would use the door panel remove, its cheep and is good insurance, also the door panels have metal clips so you dont have to worry about breaking them aas much

Although a door panel tool can be used on the Dakota's its not really needed. The Dakota's have plastic door panels, compared to the fiberboard panels used on cars, so you can pull on the plastic Dakota panels without worrying that you'll damage the mounting clip areas.

Be sure to remove the black remote mirror bezel first. There is a tiny allen screw that clamps the bezel to the adjusting knob/stick.

Also it usually helps to have the window rolled down when you remove the door panel as sometimes you need to rock the upper edge of the panel back and forth to get the top edge to release. By the top edge I mean the part that has the window fuzzie weather strip running along the top of the panel.

Steve

Although a door panel tool can be used on the Dakota's its not really needed. The Dakota's have plastic door panels, compared to the fiberboard panels used on cars, so you can pull on the plastic Dakota panels without worrying that you'll damage the mounting clip areas.

Be sure to remove the black remote mirror bezel first. There is a tiny allen screw that clamps the bezel to the adjusting knob/stick.

Also it usually helps to have the window rolled down when you remove the door panel as sometimes you need to rock the upper edge of the panel back and forth to get the top edge to release. By the top edge I mean the part that has the window fuzzie weather strip running along the top of the panel.

Steve

also be careful not to damage the clear sheet behind the panel, thats your sound deadening

Thanks to everyone who responded.

I took the passenger side off last night and it was easy. I had a little confusion with the metal triangle piece that holds the mirror remote knob. After re-reading Steve's instructions, it all made sense. If you have to remove the door panel, make sure you remove the set screw holding the mirror knob. It's very small and on the bottom.

While I had the passenger door apart, I notice that the speaker grill snaps in. Since I was replacing the speakers, I decided to use a panel remover to pop the speaker grill out on the drivers door.

If you are only changing speakers , removing the speaker grill is allot easier than removing the entire door panel.

Trey

Archived