TEAM SHELBY FORUM

The real retro GT-350

rush_junky

Except in my opinion the Roush's look much, much better.

I've not been a huge Roush fan until the 2010's. The 2010 Roush's look really nice IMO. I think the Stage 3 is a fabulous car looks wise and performance spec wise. It's only problem is price vs. a GT500.

If you look at the new GT350 (which I am personally really bummed out about because it looks like something a 17 year old would do body kit wise to a GT) and compare it to a Roush stage 3 - there is no comparison. Price wise they are both in the 63k range. The roush looks 10x better IMO and frankly has better motor in it.

Now I owned a Shelby GT/SC which I do think looked VERY nice and that car should have been the GT350. It was much more similar in nature to the original 350 as far as weight, handling and intentions. I may regret selling it someday. I had hopes of a GT350 that would interest me, but wow the new car just does not in any way. I've been in a few dealers lately and when we get to talking the general consensus is... too much money for a car that will interest 17 year olds.

I suspect the GT350 is going to have a real tough time selling vs. the new GT500 when it hits with an aluminum block.

For me and my tastes and needs the GT350 is a gigantic let-down.

I like many wish Shelby had stuck to the less is more. Maybe tune the engine, do some subtle body changes, really go after the suspension, weight, and engine. Throw a new grill on there, maybe some performance style seating, short throw shifter.

I thing you've made some good points there.

The more I think about it, the more of a let-down the car is. Admittingly much of that has been in the looks department.

My suggestion would haven been to almost go to the opposite end of the spectrum.

I would have started with a Base Mustang GT, no electronics package, no shaker 1000.

Just typing "out loud" here...

I would have gone with a pretty stripped Mustang GT. Maybe not even a premium. I would have worked with Ford to have folks send Shelby a White or Possibly Kona Blue Mustang GT, no shaker 1000, no electronics etc. Keep the weight down. No spoiler, or maybe just the smaller subtle spoiler. I would have had folks spec a pretty base Mustang GT, 6 speed only, BUT had the 3.73 gears and brembro brakes send by ford. They have more purchasing power.

Then, at shelby I would have done the following:

1. Lighten the car, find some real light wheels with super sticky tires to be part of the package. Also, I would send folks back their 19's or figured out a way to use the 19's to offset the cost of the package. Light wheels would be a real key.

2. Performance tune, or possibly a supercharger

3. Really focused on the suspension

4. I would continue the classic blue stripes and rocker panel stripes.

5. I would go with a black billet grill, and continue the look of the blacked out rear like on the new GT350 prototype

6. Use the integrated style louvers and removed the rear windows. I can't recall who makes them, but use the flush louvers.

7. Use a nice 6 speed short throw shifter.

8. Brakes wise, possibly new pads, but the brembo's if ordered from the factory should be more than sufficient to stop a lighter car, after all they are the gt500 brakes. Take some advantage of ford's purchasing power.

My thought is this. Cost wise many folks could score a more basic mustang GT with X plan for 30k or so. Then Shelby could offer a 12-13k package with the basics above and maybe a supercharger system for another 6k option. That way folks could get into a GT 350 for 45-50k which should still be less than a GT500 and offer better track performance.

I really like the new GT-350, but I could not give up my Shelby GT for one. As far as power goes the new GT-350 has nothing on a Shelby GT/SC, actually according to what I read they are hoping to top 500HP, I have that to the wheels. I look at it this way, in my opinion the Shelby GT is the best looking Mustang made in the past 30 years, mine was brought to Tasca to get some tasteful mods that in my opinion equal the new GT-350 and I saved like $20 Grand.

Can not argue with that!!!!

If I were in the market today I would have a hard time choosing, that is not a bad thing, many great choices, Roush included.

One of these days I'm going to run across the first artilce I saw about the 2006 GT350H. It even had a GT 350H stripe on the car. I believe our cars were meant to be the GT350, but they probably had made plans to bring back the 5.0 that long ago; so they pulled it , and waited. We were the first, new generation GT350. That's what I think.

One of these days I'm going to run across the first artilce I saw about the 2006 GT350H. It even had a GT 350H stripe on the car. I believe our cars were meant to be the GT350, but they probably had made plans to bring back the 5.0 that long ago; so they pulled it , and waited. We were the first, new generation GT350. That's what I think.

+1

I went through the posts to see who noted this most critical aspect of the Shelby GT. Something no one can take away or dispute.

Just like the original Shelby Mustangs.

:shift:

You said it my friend...just like the ORIGINALS!!!

Archived