TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 Ford Shelby GT350

That sucks 500+ HP in a GT350! Looks good, but 07 -10 GT500 all need a boost.

I still like the arse end of my KR better. Agreed about a bit more boost, though... Who knows; maybe I'll pick up a GT-350 in a couple of years. Ford should have the back end massaged by then.

That sucks 500+ HP in a GT350! Looks good, but 07 -10 GT500 all need a boost.

True that but that is about as far as you can go on the 5.0 without getting into the bottom end(as bad ass as that high reving motor is), where our hand-built, forged motors have a bunch of room for mods, plus we have a beefier 6 speed, plus the two have similar curb weight, plus the 350 is nearly $15k more than the 500 and a post-title upgrade, boy am I glad I bought an 08!!

I'm impressed. I agree that the 5.0 is at it's limit in that configuration. Any more boost will need forged internals for sure. Controversial, yes. There will be some that hate it. That's one good looking automobile IMO. Give Carroll credit for taking a shot at the "Green crowd". He's not making "anything that runs on lithium ion batteries."

Are they seriously going to put the SHELBY across the bumper like that and whats up with those reverse lights? It almost makes me think they have kids designing these cars.

06shelbygt3502011.jpg

I like what they've done to the rear end....not too keen on the back-up lights, but I love those center exhausts!

What effect do you think this will have on our cars? I mean, we've been used to being the top dogs.......

I'm glad I didn't buy a SGT simply because I wanted more of a grand touring car instead of a track car. I see the GT 350 as upping the ante on a streetable race car.

Here is how I see it. Sai is now like Saleen and Roush. Use a standard gt, put some graphics on it and a blower and call it whatever you want, GT 350, 427, etc etc. In the blue book it will be listed under a standard vin and trade in or price will be way below what you paid. The GT500 has its own vin and is a real different car then the standard GT. Hand built motors, etc. I see the GT350 in the same vein as the Roush stage 3. I thought Shelby said he wasnt going to do boy wonder body kit cars, but now we have it. Sorry, I have had all mentioned and have learned the hard way, in the wallett. GT 500s are unique and built from the ground up to be what they are. People , hang on to your GT500s, they are a much better car and investment. SUDDEN.

Here is how I see it. Sai is now like Saleen and Roush. Use a standard gt, put some graphics on it and a blower and call it whatever you want, GT 350, 427, etc etc. In the blue book it will be listed under a standard vin and trade in or price will be way below what you paid. The GT500 has its own vin and is a real different car then the standard GT. Hand built motors, etc. I see the GT350 in the same vein as the Roush stage 3. I thought Shelby said he wasnt going to do boy wonder body kit cars, but now we have it. Sorry, I have had all mentioned and have learned the hard way, in the wallett. GT 500s are unique and built from the ground up to be what they are. People , hang on to your GT500s, they are a much better car and investment. SUDDEN.

+1

In some respects, I agree. When I bought my GT 500, I was shopping specifically for a Shelby GT convertible with an automatic. My wife's first comments were 1) it doesn't have a spoiler, 2) it doesn't have fog lights, 3) the stripes have wrinkles around the hood scoop. The sales guy rolled out of his cube and said, yeah, it's a Shelby "conversion". I don't guess I had ever considered that term, I associate "conversion" more with vans and trucks, but it is accurate. Shelby takes a GT, adds this, takes away that, and changes the personality, performance and presence of the vehicle--just like they did in '66(and just like Regency, Choo Choo and other van conversion companies do). Except there was no one else doing this type of "conversion" in '66. When shopping I called my insurance company and asked the difference between a Mustang GT, a Shelby GT and a GT 500. There was no difference in the GT and the SGT, in spite of the Shelby name, performance enhancements, etc. I don't think I'll ever view a Shelby in the same vein as a Roush or Saleen; the name carries much, much more weight. On the other hand, with the vast offering of Shelby for post-title "conversions" I feel the legacy being watered down.

Regarding the styling--I can imagine some folks (though not nearly as many fans as now) who said, "OMG, they've ruined the Mustang! Look at those funky wheels, that gaudy hood scoop, stripes! Yipes!" And can you imagine the critics when, oh my goodness, they tacked T-Bird (or were they Cougar) tail lamps on the 67's?

Yes, I'm SO pleased with my purchase decision. I'll take my GT 500 any day......besides, the top goes down!

In 1965 Ford shipped Hi-Po Mustangs to LA, Shelby American designed and bolted on parts and shipped to dealers. SAI like Roush and Saleen. They do build great vehicles but last time I checked I have not seen either fetching the $$$ that a Shelby does.

That argument does not hold water. No difference from then to now except for the technology in design and manufacturing. The only thing that has changed is that everyone's opinion can now be shared and viewed by millions.

Some will like it others will not. That makes life interesting. As time passes and more testing is done many will be surprised by the performance of this vehicle prior to SAI tweaking. There were many performance, GT-500's, prepared race cars of all years as well as Super Snakes and modified 40ths. who participated in the Bash 2 weeks ago. I don't remember any of these vehicles getting close, for any length of time, to our Shelby SR with a 4.6 and Ford Racing / Whipple. And when they did, it was just a matter of time before a very large gap would appear. It's not just about horsepower!

Amy has stated here and on many other occasions that it is about power, styling and handling. It's a balance of all three. And in case you have forgot, THIS IS A CONCEPT. Not proto-type or pre-production.

The true collector cars will be limited in number and unique to their time and we have no say in the future value. When you build 50, 100, 500 or 1,000 that is limited by todays standard of production. When you build 45,000 while small in number compared to overall production you need to ask yourself, just how unique and limited is this? In the end as long as you are happy with whatever car you choose then it is your collectible.

I have a deep rooted passion for my Shelby GT. It holds a special meaning in my life. It has been willed for the next 3 generations. The GT350 brings my experience with the Shelby Brand full circle.

Mine will have painted over the top stripes, rear brake upgrade, watts link, street race tire set and upgraded interior.

Roger

In 1965 Ford shipped Hi-Po Mustangs to LA, Shelby American designed and bolted on parts and shipped to dealers. SAI like Roush and Saleen. They do build great vehicles but last time I checked I have not seen either fetching the $$$ that a Shelby does.

That argument does not hold water. No difference from then to now except for the technology in design and manufacturing. The only thing that has changed is that everyone's opinion can now be shared and viewed by millions.

Some will like it others will not. That makes life interesting. As time passes and more testing is done many will be surprised by the performance of this vehicle prior to SAI tweaking. There were many performance, GT-500's, prepared race cars of all years as well as Super Snakes and modified 40ths. who participated in the Bash 2 weeks ago. I don't remember any of these vehicles getting close, for any length of time, to our Shelby SR with a 4.6 and Ford Racing / Whipple. And when they did, it was just a matter of time before a very large gap would appear. It's not just about horsepower!

Amy has stated here and on many other occasions that it is about power, styling and handling. It's a balance of all three. And in case you have forgot, THIS IS A CONCEPT. Not proto-type or pre-production.

The true collector cars will be limited in number and unique to their time and we have no say in the future value. When you build 50, 100, 500 or 1,000 that is limited by todays standard of production. When you build 45,000 while small in number compared to overall production you need to ask yourself, just how unique and limited is this? In the end as long as you are happy with whatever car you choose then it is your collectible.

I have a deep rooted passion for my Shelby GT. It holds a special meaning in my life. It has been willed for the next 3 generations. The GT350 brings my experience with the Shelby Brand full circle.

Mine will have painted over the top stripes, rear brake upgrade, watts link, street race tire set and upgraded interior.

Roger

Hey Roger:

I did manage to keep up with GP for 2 laps before I got plumb tuckerd out.. :shift: . but the SR was fast for sure. I expect this car to be at least as fast, out of the box and have more potential with the 5.0, I am in for one for sure. By the way did you get my email yesterday??

Well having said that... Roush, Saleen, and anyone else (and their mother) has the 1st step in out-modding the regular Mustang GT on the 5.0L platform. I can already see the C/D stories. :rolleyes:

Be prepared boys!!

But it still honestly BLOWS MY MIND in how modern cars are generated with more horsepower. In 2007 (2006) when the GT500 was released, that was a LOT of bang for the buck! Then they created all the different packages (SS'ing being one of them) and a 725hp Mustang was born!!

The GT350 is created, and we're already talking 500+ with a Wippled 5.0L, and those numbers really haven't even been confirmed yet! You guys need to look past the '65 GT350 already and honestly give a pat on the back to Shelby and looking FORWARD. So, granted they could have put a naturally aspirated engine in the GT350 but... they didn't, and we're going to have the same TS showdown over the GT350 that we did with the GT500 and the Shelby GT (for example)...

So end of story? Some are going to like it and some are not. Fact of it is... only a select couple of people here on TS (and beyond) actually formulate the car. So the rest of us? Like it or hate it... Shelby is still making...

H-I-S-T-0-R-Y.

Congratulations on Carroll coming "full circle."

:salute:

A real, functioning diffuser in the blacked-out lower valence would also be great. In fact, I'm surprised that they didn't use the 2011 California Special front and rear valence more. I was very impressed with the front splitter on the CS and although the rear diffuser doesn't look that effective on the CS, a little tweaking could make it look great and help the high speed aerodynamics.

• 2 weeks later...

I think some of you miss the point....or just don't get it.

Shelby "builds" a fantastic car. The new GT350 is a work of art. The grill opening is reminiscent of the '65-'66 and '67 mustang and Shelby. The grill itself is similar to the '65 Shelby. Hell, I even like how he redisigned rear end. The backup lights are like the ones on the '65-'66. All of other modifications at top notch.

So the engine isn't nomally asperated. Superchargers are the best way to easily increase HP without tearing into the motor.

Just like he did back in '65. All modifications were bolt-on parts carefully chosen to increase hp. The suspension was altered for better handling, brakes were upgraded to larger systems too.....just like today. So much of what he did back then is still done today.

As fo their being "conversions", the "65s were just that...conversions. Ford shipped the cars to Shelby where he removed what wasn't necessary and installed wht was. Only difference is that the new cars come to him from customers who already paid for the upgrade while back in "65 he built cars to stock dealerships. The way it's done now has no risk of over-stocked cars.

I was very privilaged to have owned a '66 SHELBY GT350. It was the best performing and handling Mustang I ever drove. It ran like a scalded cat and turned corners as if on rails. It was amaizing how fast that little 289 inch engine was. 307 HP was nothing to sneeze at back then. It was fast enough to keep up with 383 in. Roadrunners and Chargers, 440 6-Pack GTX and big block Chevelles. Faster than a 350 Camaro, 351 Mach 1, 340 Darts. I raced many cars back in the '70s and beat almost every one.

Hey Roger:

I did manage to keep up with GP for 2 laps before I got plumb tuckerd out.. :shift: . but the SR was fast for sure. I expect this car to be at least as fast, out of the box and have more potential with the 5.0, I am in for one for sure. By the way did you get my email yesterday??

Hey Ric,

I look forward to the track sessions next year with both of us in a GT350!!

Michael

• 5 years later...

Archived