TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT350- Is the sequel a failure?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It may be a better product when finished but where does that leave the GT500,if the 350 has the same horsepower? the GT350 was a racer ant the GT500 was the luxury street light racerr with a list of options a mile long.

I would of liked to see more of a bare bones approach,like the 65,the car looks like it needs to go on a diet

Hmmm, Let me see, GT 350 for 75 Grand, or GT 500 for 50 Grand, No brainner, GT500 Smokes it, like it should be. Back in the day when the GT500 was out, they couldnt hardley sell the GT350.(67-70|). SUDDEN.

Why do I need a High Post cout for my Opinion to matter, I currently own a SGT, GT 500, 5 93 Cobras and 93R.

So to say that Because I didn't tell you happy Birthday ever year or make a comment on a car makes my opinion void is BS. They talked this car up for a long time, and to supposedely Buid it in 30 days, is crazy. More than Half the Design Cues from this car are from different Models, Saleen/Roush. I am sorry but to Put this car in the SGT, GT 500 KR family is Just plain crazy.

This thing Looks more like a Ricer than any Muscle car, I have also owned a 66 Shelby, #873, and to say that this is supposed to be a trubut to a 65, Come on your kidding me right!

I could have designed a better car than this, and I am Just an old Air Force Guy. I only post on here when I have something to say, So please don't beat on me cause my Post count is low. I Just expected a much more Musclecar Looking 350, We can do away with all these Non Functional Hood Scoops, and Rear Spoilers, and the Cheesy Wannabe saleen Side Skirts. Give me the SC 5.0 and Just a Big Set of rear tires, The rest is Just added Weight, and Bling Bling, which a 65 350 NEVER had any of.

I never said you your opinion didnt matter. Pretty sure I said EVERYONE has an opinion!

I just find it funny that in 3 years this is the first time you have had anything to say! I hope you really didnt think I wanted you to tell me Happy Birthday? Just making a point in 3+ years you have had NOTHING to say. You own around 10 Mustang and half are Shelbys (lucky, lucky man) and NOTHING to say? With all the mistake folks post on here you could have at least corrected them!

Post count and 50 cent will buy you a Coke! It means nothing except that some of us (ME) spend to much time on here talking about things we dont know alot about!

I guess I just get upset with some of the comments that have been slung at SA. I believe we can discuss a product without insulting folks.

Just to let you know that Im not 100% on the car. I dont like the GT350 on the hood. I like the stripes noes to toes! But I dont have to tell them how stupid they are for not doing it the way I want it done!

By the way "Happy Birthday" Just in case I missed it LOL!!!!

MM

I never said you your opinion didnt matter. Pretty sure I said EVERYONE has an opinion!

I just find it funny that in 3 years this is the first time you have had anything to say! I hope you really didnt think I wanted you to tell me Happy Birthday? Just making a point in 3+ years you have had NOTHING to say. You own around 10 Mustang and half are Shelbys (lucky, lucky man) and NOTHING to say? With all the mistake folks post on here you could have at least corrected them!

Post count and 50 cent will buy you a Coke! It means nothing except that some of us (ME) spend to much time on here talking about things we dont know alot about!

I guess I just get upset with some of the comments that have been slung at SA. I believe we can discuss a product without insulting folks.

Just to let you know that Im not 100% on the car. I dont like the GT350 on the hood. I like the stripes noes to toes! But I dont have to tell them how stupid they are for not doing it the way I want it done!

MM

did I miss someone's birthday again? :censored: Anyway, I must be one of the odd ones as I love the car. Sure it could use some changes, but how many times have I overheard someone at a car show say, "yeah, it's just an overpriced GT" talking about my SGT/SC. Everyone does have an opinion and that is great, nothing wrong with that. Like I posted in another thread last night, I am just very happy that we even have SAI to bash. If it wasn't for what they are all about, where would the real muscle be today? Whether I buy one or not, I am still very proud to own a Shelby and consider myself very fortunate. BTW, MM ....taking any '67's as down payment? Craig

Now your talkin! SUDDEN

Amy said this is a CONCEPT and they welcome our comments good or bad. Don't expect many changes. That's what she said so far. I said that i would not order a concept car without seeing the real deal. I post on other Ford forums but this one seems to have some STRONG beliefs and don't cross them. Maybe we need some thick skin here more often. I am not talking about you Sudden.

MM

Maybe it's because I don't like to share my opinions as much as some people do, and I wouldn't like to called a troll if I didn't agree with those who do like to share opinions.

This is a Forum so no matter how many posts you have made in the past, you should certainly still be able to post your opinion (positive of negative). As for people disrespecting SA, well in my opinion they are being disrespectful of us. To charge $30+k for basically a body kit and bolt-on's is ridiculous. Just because they are Shelby does not mean they get to charge an arm and a leg. Or does it? I'm sorry, the car may not be that bad, but the price just simply pisses me off!! I hope they don't sell well not because I wish bad things for SA, but so that they understand that in order to charge these prices, they simply must improve the quality of their product. You have a lot of loyal Shelby fans on this site and they deserve the opportunity to purchase one of these vehicles and at this price, it makes it nearly impossible. As far as I'm concerned, this car has nothing to do with heritage as it in no way resembles anything that has to do with a GT350, past or present.

Let me clarify ONE MORE TIME!!

I never said if your post count was low that your opinion didnt matter!! OK?

What I said is its funny that SOME folks only post when they stir the pot. So no reason to post when theres nothing to get folks riled up about.

If the shoe fits, wear it.

The car has been out just over 12 hours and I already have FIVE orders!!!

I think the GT350 is going to sell VERY well. Is it alot of money? YEA! Can I afford one right now? NO! What Im hoping is when I get to 100 Shelbys sold that Miss Amy will GIVE me one! Not holding my breath, but a guy can dream!!!

MM

This isn’t a bash, just a matter of fact, so sorry if it offends anyone.

In 1965 a GT350 would cost you $4547ish. Median income at that time was $6957 in 1965 dollars. The car was 65% of a family’s income.

In 2010 a GT350 will be $63,000ish +. Median income in 2008(last year available) was $50303 and declining. The car is now 125% of a family’s income.

I would love to own another Shelby but right now I don’t see it happening. Somewhere along the line prices for cars have exceeded what most people can afford. I think this is why a lot of “haters” are vocal. They would like to own one but in no way could afford too. This makes performance cars out of reach of the average guy. The economy isn’t helping anyone right now either. That’s why in an earlier post I said that the car should come in at or below $55000. Cut out the fluff and make it a bare knuckle street fighter. What’s better, selling one widget for 10% profit or 20 widgets for 1% profit?

Flame all you want, I wear Nomex to work...

In 1965 a GT350 would cost you $4547ish. Median income at that time was $6957 in 1965 dollars. The car was 65% of a family’s income.

In 2010 a GT350 will be $63,000ish +. Median income in 2008(last year available) was $50303 and declining. The car is now 125% of a family’s income.

I would love to own another Shelby but right now I don’t see it happening. Somewhere along the line prices for cars have exceeded what most people can afford. I think this is why a lot of “haters” are vocal. They would like to own one but in no way could afford too. This makes performance cars out of reach of the average guy. The economy isn’t helping anyone right now either. That’s why in an earlier post I said that the car should come in at or below $55000. Cut out the fluff and make it a bare knuckle street fighter. What’s better, selling one widget for 10% profit or 20 widgets for 1% profit?

:headscratch:

Why do I need a High Post cout for my Opinion to matter, I currently own a SGT, GT 500, 5 93 Cobras and 93R.

So to say that Because I didn't tell you happy Birthday ever year or make a comment on a car makes my opinion void is BS. They talked this car up for a long time, and to supposedely Buid it in 30 days, is crazy. More than Half the Design Cues from this car are from different Models, Saleen/Roush. I am sorry but to Put this car in the SGT, GT 500 KR family is Just plain crazy.

This thing Looks more like a Ricer than any Muscle car, I have also owned a 66 Shelby, #873, and to say that this is supposed to be a trubut to a 65, Come on your kidding me right!

I could have designed a better car than this, and I am Just an old Air Force Guy. I only post on here when I have something to say, So please don't beat on me cause my Post count is low. I Just expected a much more Musclecar Looking 350, We can do away with all these Non Functional Hood Scoops, and Rear Spoilers, and the Cheesy Wannabe saleen Side Skirts. Give me the SC 5.0 and Just a Big Set of rear tires, The rest is Just added Weight, and Bling Bling, which a 65 350 NEVER had any of.

Amen Brother.

I also found myself disappointed with the new GT350.

My memory of the original cars was the timeless style and simplicity of the design.

This new creation will look overdone in a few years (if not sooner).......and all of this is based on a car that I would have expected to be priced in the low to mid 40's.

Asking $30K + a new GT is unbelievable.

Well said. These cars are getting out of control price wise. Which is even worse given the current economy. The problem now is they want these cars in the hands of the few. Therefore $63k+ is just fine with them. I'm sure they'll be able to find people that will buy the first 200 because they have more money then sense.

What I said is its funny that SOME folks only post when they stir the pot. So no reason to post when theres nothing to get folks riled up about.

I think the GT350 is going to sell VERY well. Is it alot of money? YEA! Can I afford one right now? NO! What Im hoping is when I get to 100 Shelbys sold that Miss Amy will GIVE me one! Not holding my breath, but a guy can dream!!!

MM

Michael, I hear what you're saying. I just don't like seeing people come to the site and get bashed for making a negative comment. I'd say 9 out of 10 times most people are only trying to help Shelby improve their product and unfortunately sometimes that comes via criticism. If anything, Shelby should be very concerned and take note of the fact that several multi-year members who have never posted are now. It speaks volumes to the displeasure many are having with new GT350. I fell in love with Shelby because of the original GT350 and am now even finding myself looking at it thinking that its unique heritage has been tarnished. I'm sure SA have seen this before, but more likely with positive comments regarding the launch of the GT500. Hopefully they will take the good and the bad to produce a better final product

Well said. These cars are getting out of control price wise. Which is even worse given the current economy. The problem now is they want these cars in the hands of the few. Therefore $63k+ is just fine with them. I'm sure they'll be able to find people that will buy the first 200 because they have more money then sense.

I have to agree ref price I thought I paid alot for my 07 SGT, but owning a couple 60 Shelbys a 69 GT 350 and ^& Gt 35o I felt I just had to won own, ( Felt same way in 87 with my GLHS that I still own) Maybe some people can afford these toys but this car is getting alittle expensive Im sure people will order them BUT it is not a remake of the 65 nice car but too heavy too much fluff, look at our SGTs and I thought they were loaded with fluff make scoops etc oh well Im sure I will get bashed I sure some people would even buy a Shelby KIA just cause his name is on car, boy here comes the crap.

I am not trying to Stir any pot. I had no issues Paying 43K for my 07 SGT, or 61K for my First run 07 GT 500, or Stoping in to purchase a few things At SAI on my Way back from CA after buying my 93R. Those of us who have been around Shelby cars long enough know that People are paying for a name. Just like any big Product line.

People will buy this So called 350, I will not be one of them unless they do some Major Change, but being that they plan to auction it off at BJ this year, I can't see them making any changes at all to it.

So to me and My opinion it is that it is Just an overpriced Ricer tuner car. First off, the 65 Didn't have Roof stripes, they where added later in 65. So lets Delete those gaudy roof stripes and do away with the Camaro SS hood Scoop. Maybe add a retro style 65 style hood scoop but actually mold it into the hood, we don't need anymore temp fixes like the SGT scoop. (by the way mine is still messed up).

Remove the cheap Saleen knock off side skirts and that nasty rear spoiler. Add some 19 inch Retro Magnum 500 Style wheels with original Shelby center caps. put in some Functions quarter panel side schoops with some actual break cooling ducts. and a Big set of rear tires and call it done.

You can make these changes, and still sell the car for the same price, most loyal Shelby owners could care less for Bling Bling. And if they are trying to cater to a younger generation, let the unger guys go buy a Honda and do what ever they want to it. Why ruin what is supposed to be a true American Muscle car. All that cheap stick on Fiberglass stuff is simply for cars shows.

I gotta weigh in here despite the fact I may regret it.

Leaving specific critiques of the design out of my comments because they are lengthy and subjective, I will say that I find the concept presented last night very disappointing and a lost opportunity to truly honor the 1965 Shelby GT-350.

My largest let down with this car is not actually the design which I have many issues with. It is the fact that the car does not in any way represent the concept and character of the original Shelby GT-350. The original was a plain white car with stripes built to go fast on a track. What made the car really tick was the mechanical modifications, the track worthiness, and the purpose built mission of it.

In the following years after 1965 the Shelby Mustangs were loaded up with body kits, gee-gaws, dood-dads and all sorts of crap that ruined their original mission in life. In those years sales plummeted and by 1970 it was all over because the car had become something completely different than what it started out to be. Anyone who has been around the Sheby and Mustang world knows this. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are the icons. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are ones you see at vintage racing. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are the most collectible by purists.

What I see in this new 2011 Shelby GT-350 as an embodiment of the 1969-1970 models. It is loaded up with all sorts of meaningless if not tasteless extras that don't add to the car, but take away from it in so many ways. It is retro for retro sake. That is too bad. Shelby is better than this. The 2007 Shelby GT was far better than this and in my opinion the best true successor to the original GT-350 I have seen and driven.

Last night I would have been thrilled to see a relatively plain 2011 Mustang GT with all the same mechanical mods (perhaps without the supercharger), a blue stripe package, and that's it. A true celebration of what made the 1965 Shelby GT-350 would have been more appropriate - simple, pure, with a purpose.

No HP/TQ final numbers means no final tune which means no performance data yet that is concrete. So, you can't really make that statement. With a set of E.T. Streets you can throw an SS down the track to an 11 flat with some skill. This car will beat that stock?

Mine will run those numbers and its just a little ol 4.6 Im sure the 5.0 wont do that much better its all about traction @ the strip..but on the road course it may be another story...

Shelby Autos sucked the dog on this one!!! This car looks terrible. And what's up with the bashing??? Let people state their opinion. Seems like most of the bashers bash only because any negative comments affect their sales...So their opinions are the ones that aren't sincere, but based on their personal financial gains...This cars bites, let's see what they put out next.

Everyone is welcom to thier opinion, but I just dont understand these VERY low post count folks bashing the car? If you dont like the car thats fine. We have already decided not everyone agrees, but your FIRST post is bashing? I see alot of you have been on this forum for 2-3 years and have posted a THING? Not one "Nice Picture" or "Happy Birthday"? But let Shelby unviel a car that they are VERY proud of and BAM!! Out of the wood work yall come?

Not fussing about your opinion of the car. Its not for everyone. Chevy has SOLD a ton of Camaros and I would live on the same street with someone who owns one! But I didnt go to the camaro board, sign up and then bash it?

Maybe yall are long time luckers that LOVE Shelby! Maybe Im to close to the folks at Shelby and think that someone can give an opinion on a car without being insulting.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Yall have a great day and try to have some class when talking about other peoples work!!!

MM

Well said Michael

Well, I for one am relieved. I had feared that the new 350 would be so bitchin' that I would have to get one to go along with my '67 (and money doesn't exactly fall from the sky like it used to). But this "concept" does nothing for me. It's more of the same from Amy's crew - and I don't mean that in a negative way. SA has made a conscious decision to push their designs "over the top". If you liked the "427 Edition with it's garish graphics or the Prudhomme Super Snake than you'll love this car. I know that Shelby's skew to a clientele of a certain age and income bracket, so this must be what they want (or what SA thinks they want). Good for them.

I also understand that Team Shelby is by and for true believers, but let's accept that not everyone has drank the Kool-Aid and even first time posters are entitled to their opinions. A lot of us wanted to love this car and are disappointed - expressing such does not a troll make. Let's see how many Shelby sells. Let that be the final determination of this design's success or failure.

Cruz aint that pretty to me? Not my type I guess. Far from ugly, but alot better girls out there than her!

See we all have different tastes!

MM

+1

....but if she walked into your dealership, you woudl take her out for a ride, on any car.......you devil...... :hysterical:

+1

....but if she walked into your dealership, you woudl take her out for a ride, on any car.......you devil...... :hysterical:

I said that theres better looking. NOT that I didnt find her good looking!!!! I could only hope for the scene like in the movie "Suckers"!! If yall havent seen it go rent it and laugh your but off and see what Im talking about with the TEST DRIVE!!!

MM

MM

A free car, I don't think so, but maybe a MM eddittion!

With all the cars you are selling, plus teh great deal you get from Ford......you can certainly get back on a SS.....

Hope you sell a ton more!!!

Where do I go to find all the facts about ordering? Dealers around here don't even know a GT350 is coming!

I said that theres better looking. NOT that I didnt find her good looking!!!! I could only hope for the scene like in the movie "Suckers"!! If yall havent seen it go rent it and laugh your but off and see what Im talking about with the TEST DRIVE!!!

MM

If the GT350 looked as HOT as Cruz us guys would be falling all over this creation. Well almost all !!!

Shelby Autos sucked the dog on this one!!! This car looks terrible. And what's up with the bashing??? Let people state their opinion. Seems like most of the bashers bash only because any negative comments affect their sales...So their opinions are the ones that aren't sincere, but based on their personal financial gains...This cars bites, let's see what they put out next.

I would hope yall know me better to think that the only reason Im questioning some of the posters is that it affects my sales???

I have no problem with folks opinions. I have stated that in FIVE posts now. Post counts dont matter!!! Im sorry that it came across that way! Really!

My problem, which I stated earlier, is it looks like folks just came on here to see who they could get fired up. Came to the Shelby forums to BASH a Shelby car!

Let me back up for a second. I might be alittle close because most folks at SA I consider to be my friends ( Im sure they think different!!) So when folks come on here and just FLAME away it bothers me. I have read alot of posts of folks that dont like the car, but they express thier opinion without being rude and insulting! Do you need an example? Earlier poster said Amys team needed to be FIRED? Why because some folks dont like the car? No need in that! Folks can give an opinion and still have CLASS doing it! Heres you alittle example!!

I LOVE your Super Snake, but if I were to buy one I would have chosen a different color and done the polished S/C or Why in the world would you get a Black SS? The stripe dont show up! Anyone that would order a black car with a black stripe is ignorant and should have thier car taken away! You mean you spent 80K on a SS and didnt get a polished S/C what are you stupid?

Man If I used that second thing on here I would be TOAST!!! But its OK for folks to do it to SA and Amys team.

Again so no one gets confused

Post count DONT MATTER!!!

Please have your OWN opinion and state it with some respect!

MM

I would hope yall know me better to think that the only reason Im questioning some of the posters is that it affects my sales???

I have no problem with folks opinions. I have stated that in FIVE posts now. Post counts dont matter!!! Im sorry that it came across that way! Really!

My problem, which I stated earlier, is it looks like folks just came on here to see who they could get fired up. Came to the Shelby forums to BASH a Shelby car!

Let me back up for a second. I might be alittle close because most folks at SA I consider to be my friends ( Im sure they think different!!) So when folks come on here and just FLAME away it bothers me. I have read alot of posts of folks that dont like the car, but they express thier opinion without being rude and insulting! Do you need an example? Earlier poster said Amys team needed to be FIRED? Why because some folks dont like the car? No need in that! Folks can give an opinion and still have CLASS doing it! Heres you alittle example!!

I LOVE your Super Snake, but if I were to buy one I would have chosen a different color and done the polished S/C or Why in the world would you get a Black SS? The stripe dont show up! Anyone that would order a black car with a black stripe is ignorant and should have thier car taken away! You mean you spent 80K on a SS and didnt get a polished S/C what are you stupid?

Man If I used that second thing on here I would be TOAST!!! But its OK for folks to do it to SA and Amys team.

Again so no one gets confused

Post count DONT MATTER!!!

Please have your OWN opinion and state it with some respect!

MM

Cruz is hot and you are now TOAST !!!

Leaving specific critiques of the design out of my comments because they are lengthy and subjective, I will say that I find the concept presented last night very disappointing and a lost opportunity to truly honor the 1965 Shelby GT-350.

My largest let down with this car is not actually the design which I have many issues with. It is the fact that the car does not in any way represent the concept and character of the original Shelby GT-350. The original was a plain white car with stripes built to go fast on a track. What made the car really tick was the mechanical modifications, the track worthiness, and the purpose built mission of it.

In the following years after 1965 the Shelby Mustangs were loaded up with body kits, gee-gaws, dood-dads and all sorts of crap that ruined their original mission in life. In those years sales plummeted and by 1970 it was all over because the car had become something completely different than what it started out to be. Anyone who has been around the Sheby and Mustang world knows this. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are the icons. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are ones you see at vintage racing. This is why the 1965-1966 Shelby's are the most collectible by purists.

What I see in this new 2011 Shelby GT-350 as an embodiment of the 1969-1970 models. It is loaded up with all sorts of meaningless if not tasteless extras that don't add to the car, but take away from it in so many ways. It is retro for retro sake. That is too bad. Shelby is better than this. The 2007 Shelby GT was far better than this and in my opinion the best true successor to the original GT-350 I have seen and driven.

Last night I would have been thrilled to see a relatively plain 2011 Mustang GT with all the same mechanical mods (perhaps without the supercharger), a blue stripe package, and that's it. A true celebration of what made the 1965 Shelby GT-350 would have been more appropriate - simple, pure, with a purpose.

Reading through this thread I was prepared to comment on much of what I've seen posted. Until your post, shay. You have articulated what many wanted to say that just don't have the same gift as you do when it comes to expressing your thoughts. Amy, if there is one post that stands above the rest - this one was it. Shay hit it outta the park.

Well put shay, well put.

Tob

I feel like you do. These car does not speak to me. Maybe in person it will be better. I was hoping for a light weight more basic car at an affordable price that would beat up on more expensive cars. I like the idea of being able to build up to the top of the line car. I think it should be more like a Shelby GT plus that you can build up to a track car if you want.

I would remove the letters from the hood (I like the hood)

I would make the Shelby letters on the rear smaller and put them on the truck. (I like the black out plate and light treatment)

The back up lights look forced.

The center exhaust reminds me more of the Ford GT350 of 69-70 vrs the Shelby made cars

Go with a basic (cloth) interior and offer a rear seat delete

Make the base engine the 5.0 with CAI, calibration and exhaust...make the S/C an option

More subtle side skirts

Use light weight wheels 17s or 18s

FRP suspension

Options: Brake Kits, Griggs or similar suspension, roll bar/cage

I am not a hater. I like the current GT500KR, the Terlingua and the Shelby GT as well as the early cars.

Archived