TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT350- Is the sequel a failure?

I'm just not following your logic. With the new S281 you have a front and rear bumper that were actually created as one part. Where the GT350 has tacked on body kit parts with seem lines. Not even close. I'm not sure what is out of the box about this car? Slapping on FRPP parts and a cheap looking body kit is not out of the box.

FYI, I'm not a Saleen fan. I realize they have had quality issues as well. Just talking about overall styling and flow.

Then again I guess I can't expect you not to like the car as they use your heat exchanger in the SS.

Try reading the other articles about this car on other sites. This "PROTOTYPE" was created in 30 days. The "PRODUCTION" model will have 1 piece fascia's unlike the prototype.

Motortrend: Those backup light lenses? Straight off a '68-literally.

Motortrend: It's important to mention that this particular piece is a handbuilt concept, done in fewer than 30 days by a Shelby team of fabricators and mechanics that didn't get much sleep once the program got the green light. The concept represents 90-plus percent of what the production-tooled version will be, but differs in myriad details. This car's badging, grille, and grille surround are made of raw, milled aluminum; the real pieces will be more conventionally produced . The white-painted brake calipers will be nickel-plated instead. The front fascia will be a one-piece component, instead of two split pieces as seen here. They're still fiddling with ride height. The new Cragar 19-inch wheels (Cragars were optional on the first GT350s too) weren't available in time for our exclusive photo shoot, so a set of similar but not identical 20s was pulled off the shelf.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice car but I dont think I will be buying one happy with my SGT 07 looks more like the sixty Shelbys I own, I know time for change but looks like new Saleen Mustang and the hood stripes Hmmm kinda like the Muscle cars of the 70s. Also after experience I had with SGT ( I broke my auto rule NEVER buy first year model cars) I would hold out to see if all problems fixed. Price I hears 45K Hmmm after dealers get done can you say 70k!. Most sites seem to have mixed feelings about car everyone is entitled to thier opinion on here, some of the bashing on here is bad, not like when Shelby first started the site, BUT that said those that like the car that is great MY thoughts wont buy Bruce

Folks I like the car!

Have you ever seen a guy married to a really ugly woman? Just perhaps, in his eyes, she is the most beautiful of all. The point I am trying to make is: some folks will like the car as some won't!........and, we shoudl allow all to freely express their oipinions without calling names and making a personal attact on someone who has a different opinion.

Yes, this is a Shelby forum and we shoudl express our opinions with respect to all individuals and the barnd we all love.....whether possitive or negative.

Not liking a car is OK and it is also OK to say why. But persoanly attacking someone for his likes or dislikes is NOT cool!

Lets enjoy our cars.......whether a Shelby.....or a Nissan... :hysterical:

I'll have to say I thnk a SGT with a SC seems like a much better value. Its also probably closer looking to the orginal GT350.

So Pauljets what are you driving? Does it start with and H and end with and I?

SVT

No it starts with a H and ends with an A and has a 23 hp 2cyl with a body kit in primer!

It may be a better product when finished but where does that leave the GT500,if the 350 has the same horsepower? the GT350 was a racer ant the GT500 was the luxury street light racerr with a list of options a mile long.

I would of liked to see more of a bare bones approach,like the 65,the car looks like it needs to go on a diet

Well this went downhill in a hurry.

Back to the topic at hand. Is the GT-350's design a failure? There are things I like and things I don't like. The rear end on this car is a big improvement over the OEM rear end, in my opinion. I hope they tug the Shelby lettering up a few inches, but if not, whatever. The old school faux gas cap is a perfect touch and I personally like the 65-66 style reverse lights. The blackout panel is also very cool.

The front clip looks a little goofy, I'll give you that much. It's kind of a cross breed between a Saleen and the CS-6 up front. The grill badge has got to go. The hood stripes would look much better without the lettering. The scoop looks awesome to me, but I hope it's functional. The quarter window block offs are a must and give it a much desired R model look.

As for the Whipple adorning that Coyote, I've got some serious questions about how well that's going to hold up. Tob pointed out in other threads that the Ford engineers themselves mentioned that this motor was not built to tolerate forced induction. And with an 11:1 compression ratio, I can't imagine that a big old roots blower would be my first modification to a 2011. The styling under the hood is tip top, however. The interior is perfect, but that's mostly thanks to Ford I guess. I wish the car was a thousand pounds lighter, came equipped with a real racing suspension, and was produced to dominate on the track. But we can't all have exactly what we want out of a mass produced car. That's why we modify what we buy, I suppose. All in all, if I had the dough to drop on one, I wouldn't think twice. I hope a few minor revisions are made before the end product rolls off the assembly line, but overall it's a new take on a classic name, it's a move in a bold, fresh direction, and it's a Shelby.

Ken

Ken, what's it matter Amy has reiterated its a post title car, so if it blows up from the s/c your warranty is effed anyhow, so be it! I agree, this IS/WAS a disappointment, I expected a tight/light fun racer with a reasonable price, not a KR price.....

Unfortunately Shelby America didnt exactly learn from the KR pricing debacle...whoops they did it again...

dont know if anyone saw the inside, but...PH-119009998.jpg?ref=PH&Item=10&NewTbl=1&Maxw=660&fn=shelby-gt350.jpg

courtesy of Autoweek :)

And there is that cheezy effen gauge pillar again.

Get a GT500 and SuperSnake it then go hunting for GT350's for fun :) and you wont have to worry about it blowing up :)

plus you will have an ALUMINUM BLOCK for 2011 :)

I agree Tom...if you dont like the car, dont buy it...no one says you have to...

You guys are not getting all the real performance mods this car gets obviously...this model outperforms every Shelby produced to date. PERIOD.

Now,

If you dont like Shelby, well, :censored: you and the limpy horse you rode in on. You dont have to be here....Im a Shelby fan, and thats why I come here. There are a TON of forums for you other trolls...go there.

I have been a Shelby fan since we got our first in 1982 a 68 Gt350 convertible and I have owned a 66 GT350 convertible white with blue stripes for six years It is #11 of the 12 continuation cars from the 80's though I dont expect the new Shelby owners to know much about these cars. I was ready to buy the new GT350 but when I saw the car they unveiled they lost me for good. They (SA) need to know we will not settle for a bolt on poorly designed body kit with Ford Racing catalog parts and be expected to pay 70k for it. Some of you will fall for it and that is fine, just not this guy. Time for Shelby to step it up.

This GT350 is a concept car and they want your feed back . Amy said they will do some changes , but not many . If you can add good advice than do it. This is your forum.

Concept car? They announced last night to place your order with the nearest Shelby employee..that sounds more production than concept.

Folks I like the car!

Have you ever seen a guy married to a really ugly woman? Just perhaps, in his eyes, she is the most beautiful of all. The point I am trying to make is: some folks will like the car as some won't!........and, we shoudl allow all to freely express their oipinions without calling names and making a personal attact on someone who has a different opinion.

Yes, this is a Shelby forum and we shoudl express our opinions with respect to all individuals and the barnd we all love.....whether possitive or negative.

Not liking a car is OK and it is also OK to say why. But persoanly attacking someone for his likes or dislikes is NOT cool!

Lets enjoy our cars.......whether a Shelby.....or a Nissan... :hysterical:

Penelope Cruz is pure beauty, please name one person who thinks she is ugly. When you get a car like the 2005-2011 mustang , which is pure beauty you must be carefull not to detract from that piece of art.

This is my first post, so let's have it.....

This car does nothing for me either. Pauljets is correct about his comments on the design. It looks too pieced together. Shelby's are incredible cars, but this GT350 looks like an abuse of the great name. Please reconsider the design Amy. It's better to be late and right.

This is my first post, so let's have it.....

This car does nothing for me either. Pauljets is correct about his comments on the design. It looks too pieced together. Shelby's are incredible cars, but this GT350 looks like an abuse of the great name. Please reconsider the design Amy. It's better to be late and right.

+1

Concept car? They announced last night to place your order with the nearest Shelby employee..that sounds more production than concept.

Well that's what Amy said in another post . I would not order a concept .

OK, I’ll take a swing at it. This is what I was expecting.

Inside

Base model GT interior

Rear seat delete

4 point roll bar, 6/8 point optional

Race seats

Paddle shifted 6 speed transmission

Outside

White w/blue stripes, duh

Wind tunnel tested chin spoiler

GT350/SGT type hood scoop, FUNCTIONAL! As in air to the intake.

Rear spoiler only if needed by wind tunnel testing

Conservative badging. Nose, side, tail, 1 each.

Functional side scoops.

Performance

NA with a performance tune

CAI

Paxton Supercharger option. It’s about heritage, right?

Throw the book at the suspension/brakes. Have a runoff between the best tuners and the winner gets the subcontract.

Fattest/stickiest wheels/tire that will fit.

Summary

3700 lbs or less

400+ rwhp NA

Around $55K or less

But then again I am just a consumer. They could sell the above car by the boat loads!

Penelope Cruz is pure beauty, please name one person who thinks she is ugly. When you get a car like the 2005-2011 mustang , which is pure beauty you must be carefull not to detract from that piece of art.

Cruz aint that pretty to me? Not my type I guess. Far from ugly, but alot better girls out there than her!

See we all have different tastes!

MM

This is also pretty close to what I would've wanted to see. I'll add my two cents though...

Inside - Like all except the paddle shifter. I don't hate the idea but I'm old school ("It’s about heritage, right?").

Outside - Right on the money, I agree with all of it, especially the badging.

Performance - I'll add my suspension suggestion...Griggs Super Street. I've driven a 2010 GT with that setup...it's awesome. And just for fun let's throw in the Griggs full racing setup as an option for a GT350R (oops...did I just open up another can of worms?).

I also agree 100% on the weight. It needs to come down. As part of that I would suggest a smaller wheel. The larger wheels look good but add weight and do nothing for cornering. How many true race cars do you see with 19" wheels?

$55K or less - Would be nice. I know the Griggs suspension setups are very pricy so either of those would add a lot. Perhaps some options here would help keep the cost down while making an "ultimate" setup available to those that want it.

Finally, I'm glad we have a GT350 to talk about. I've had my 2010 GT500 for two months now and I love it. It's great to have a Ford and Shelby partnership again.

OK, I’ll take a swing at it. This is what I was expecting.

Inside

Base model GT interior

Rear seat delete

4 point roll bar, 6/8 point optional

Race seats

Paddle shifted 6 speed transmission

Outside

White w/blue stripes, duh

Wind tunnel tested chin spoiler

GT350/SGT type hood scoop, FUNCTIONAL! As in air to the intake.

Rear spoiler only if needed by wind tunnel testing

Conservative badging. Nose, side, tail, 1 each.

Functional side scoops.

Performance

NA with a performance tune

CAI

Paxton Supercharger option. It’s about heritage, right?

Throw the book at the suspension/brakes. Have a runoff between the best tuners and the winner gets the subcontract.

Fattest/stickiest wheels/tire that will fit.

Summary

3700 lbs or less

400+ rwhp NA

Around $55K or less

But then again I am just a consumer. They could sell the above car by the boat loads!

its abysmal..the "team" needs a serious redirection or pink slipped...i can forgive a lot with the mustang hence i lived through the boat cars (71-73) and then the farrah fawcett edition and so forth...to try and pawn of this gt350 as being in the lineage of the 65-66 car is just plain blasphemy...i do agree the shelbygt owners are sitting on a winner while buyers of this car just got screwed..and yes we all had lemon peelers and orange krates as kids

I'll chip in my 2 cents just in the hopes that maybe some changes are considered. I like the car as whole. I think where i find the fault is more on the mustang design than the shelby design. I am still not a fan of that rear end on these 2010+and thats what does it in for me. I would like to see some changes to the front end and i think they are coming? If i had the spare money to buy one, would i buy one?, yeah, i think it will be a good fun car to drive around the road courses. Although financially at the moment i'd probably take a terlingua as i see it as better vechicle for my needs.

FYI: Lets try and keep the future comments about the car to non personal attacks guys, we are all car guys here.

Everyone is welcom to thier opinion, but I just dont understand these VERY low post count folks bashing the car? If you dont like the car thats fine. We have already decided not everyone agrees, but your FIRST post is bashing? I see alot of you have been on this forum for 2-3 years and have posted a THING? Not one "Nice Picture" or "Happy Birthday"? But let Shelby unviel a car that they are VERY proud of and BAM!! Out of the wood work yall come?

Not fussing about your opinion of the car. Its not for everyone. Chevy has SOLD a ton of Camaros and I would live on the same street with someone who owns one! But I didnt go to the camaro board, sign up and then bash it?

Maybe yall are long time luckers that LOVE Shelby! Maybe Im to close to the folks at Shelby and think that someone can give an opinion on a car without being insulting.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Yall have a great day and try to have some class when talking about other peoples work!!!

MM

Great and exciting job on the reveal. Wish I could have been there. Though I think some tweaks are needed.

Initial thoughts - it all comes off a little too 'ricer' for me. The rear is much better than stock, though skips a diffuser altogether - and that could have slimmed the look a bit. It looks too fat from behind. The backup lamps look out of place as well as the SHELBY lettering (on the bumper - wtf?) I know the front 2-piece will be made 1-piece though it still looks a bit overdone. The rockers look slapped on. The 20" Cragar wheels will be 19" on delivery, but I'm not a fan. I didn't like the Cragars on the original either. And way too much 'GT350' all over. Get it off the hood - and why is GT350 needed twice within a foot on the side? Leave it on the rocker - and change the badge to '5.0' or 'Powered by Ford'.

Overall - too much effort in incorprating all years of GT350. I thought it should be more an homage to the 45th anniversary of the original.

I thought that the car lookeed great. This is what I expected because what we need to understand is that this is the new version of a classic. Shelby has to cater to the new generation of consumer in the sense that thecar should be retro but have all the comforts and bells and whistles of a new car. The cars styling is fantastic i think. I believe that this car will get a lot of attention. I don't think that anything should change on that car. Props to SAI for a beautiful car. :happy feet:

No it starts with a H and ends with an A and has a 23 hp 2cyl with a body kit in primer!

Eh?

A Honda 660 with a body kit???

Phill

the work here is bad..just plain bad..im sorry but i am not going to say this car is a winner when it is not....and do not blame ford for this..the 2010 stang is fine..shelby just slopped this up..passions run high on the gt350 and to a lesser extent on the boss..i had a boss 302 and if ford mucks that up i will say so..sorry..then new gt350 that i waited years for (include those 1984 tape stripe wannabees) is just plain pathetic..the blame is on vegas by not listening to us here and doing there own thing.

Great and exciting job on the reveal. Wish I could have been there. Though I think some tweaks are needed.

Initial thoughts - it all comes off a little too 'ricer' for me. The rear is much better than stock, though skips a diffuser altogether - and that could have slimmed the look a bit. It looks too fat from behind. The backup lamps look out of place as well as the SHELBY lettering (on the bumper - wtf?) I know the front 2-piece will be made 1-piece though it still looks a bit overdone. The rockers look slapped on. The 20" Cragar wheels will be 19" on delivery, but I'm not a fan. I didn't like the Cragars on the original either. And way too much 'GT350' all over. Get it off the hood - and why is GT350 needed twice within a foot on the side? Leave it on the rocker - and change the badge to '5.0' or 'Powered by Ford'.

Overall - too much effort in incorprating all years of GT350. I thought it should be more an homage to the 45th anniversary of the original.

I dont have agree with you on all your points, but nicely done!!!

Others should learn from you!

MM

Everyone is welcom to thier opinion, but I just dont understand these VERY low post count folks bashing the car? If you dont like the car thats fine. We have already decided not everyone agrees, but your FIRST post is bashing? I see alot of you have been on this forum for 2-3 years and have posted a THING? Not one "Nice Picture" or "Happy Birthday"? But let Shelby unviel a car that they are VERY proud of and BAM!! Out of the wood work yall come?

Not fussing about your opinion of the car. Its not for everyone. Chevy has SOLD a ton of Camaros and I would live on the same street with someone who owns one! But I didnt go to the camaro board, sign up and then bash it?

Maybe yall are long time luckers that LOVE Shelby! Maybe Im to close to the folks at Shelby and think that someone can give an opinion on a car without being insulting.

Of course this is only my opinion.

Yall have a great day and try to have some class when talking about other peoples work!!!

MM

Why do I need a High Post cout for my Opinion to matter, I currently own a SGT, GT 500, 5 93 Cobras and 93R.

So to say that Because I didn't tell you happy Birthday ever year or make a comment on a car makes my opinion void is BS. They talked this car up for a long time, and to supposedely Buid it in 30 days, is crazy. More than Half the Design Cues from this car are from different Models, Saleen/Roush. I am sorry but to Put this car in the SGT, GT 500 KR family is Just plain crazy.

This thing Looks more like a Ricer than any Muscle car, I have also owned a 66 Shelby, #873, and to say that this is supposed to be a trubut to a 65, Come on your kidding me right!

I could have designed a better car than this, and I am Just an old Air Force Guy. I only post on here when I have something to say, So please don't beat on me cause my Post count is low. I Just expected a much more Musclecar Looking 350, We can do away with all these Non Functional Hood Scoops, and Rear Spoilers, and the Cheesy Wannabe saleen Side Skirts. Give me the SC 5.0 and Just a Big Set of rear tires, The rest is Just added Weight, and Bling Bling, which a 65 350 NEVER had any of.

Archived