TEAM SHELBY FORUM

2011 GT350- Is the sequel a failure?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to disagree. The Saleen kit looks like cheap JC Whitney crap IMO. I have personally never liked Saleen and always take personal joy in whipping their ass every time I see one on the track.

I like the car and I like the look. Saleen looks like the typical Saleen crap you get and Saleen honestly isn't even in the same league as Shelby so I guess we can just end that discussion. I've also met Steve Saleen, no further comment necessary. :censored:

These are all first impressions. Some will take it and some will leave it. Personally, I like the car because it's a different approach. It doesn't look cheap to me. I haven't been able to get up close and personal to it. From the photos at Motor trend and from what I can see I like the car. Just give it some time. A lot of people didn't like the 2010 Mustang rear end and then it started to grow on them.................

I just like the concept and I think it's more out of the box thinking than most expect. IMO.

I'm just not following your logic. With the new S281 you have a front and rear bumper that were actually created as one part. Where the GT350 has tacked on body kit parts with seem lines. Not even close. I'm not sure what is out of the box about this car? Slapping on FRPP parts and a cheap looking body kit is not out of the box.

FYI, I'm not a Saleen fan. I realize they have had quality issues as well. Just talking about overall styling and flow.

Then again I guess I can't expect you not to like the car as they use your heat exchanger in the SS.

Wow, I am shocked at how wrong Shelby's team got this car, mostly in a design sense. It does not relate at all to the original concept which was a bare bones race car. Amy didn't want to get it wrong because it is such a special car, but as was said before the unveiling the sequel is usually a failure as in movies and this one follows that trend. We expected a slim hard edged car without massive and poorly designed body kit bolted on. GT350 letters on the hood cut out of the stripe? No running horse in the grill? Gaudy front and rear bumpers with ugly round lights poking out of the rear bumper? Forced induction? How about working on the engine with cams and a computer tune is Shelby not capable of doing that? Center rear exit exhaust? I didn't know they were trying to mimic the 69 Shelby, how about side exit exhaust like the original. Its obvious why this will be built in very limited numbers. Over priced and ugly.

I agree, whew, that is butt ugly!!!!!!!!

I have to disagree. The Saleen kit looks like cheap JC Whitney crap IMO. I have personally never liked Saleen and always take personal joy in whipping their ass every time I see one on the track.

I like the car and I like the look. Saleen looks like the typical Saleen crap you get and Saleen honestly isn't even in the same league as Shelby so I guess we can just end that discussion. I've also met Steve Saleen, no further comment necessary. :censored:

These are all first impressions. Some will take it and some will leave it. Personally, I like the car because it's a different approach. It doesn't look cheap to me. I haven't been able to get up close and personal to it. From the photos at Motor trend and from what I can see I like the car. Just give it some time. A lot of people didn't like the 2010 Mustang rear end and then it started to grow on them.................

I just like the concept and I think it's more out of the box thinking than most expect. IMO.

After reading your comments I'm like dude has got to be from FL and hmm, what a shock...you know :censored: about Saleen so just keep quiet

You know something I don't? Look closely at the reservoirs and the front end pictures of the car. See anything that looks like something I make? Something that says "Shelby"?

I'm still looking!

Super Snake bro, I changed the post right before you posted. You don't bite the hand that feeds you. Even more so now that you have direct competition from Afco's part. It's just smart business on your part. Not a knock.

After reading your comments I'm like dude has got to be from FL and hmm, what a shock...you know :censored: about Saleen so just keep quiet

Wow, guess I struck a cord there. Look, I met the guy and I was actually looking forward to meeting him. He wasn't very personable and frankly seemed very high on himself. I met Molly and she's a little buzz saw. I was impressed with her. She had a go get em' attitude.

Curious how you came up with the being from Florida thing though and being opposed to Saleen versus Shelby? I've known Dario at Steeda for a very long time. Only Steeda parts on my car are the hood props. That's it! Thought maybe it was the Steeda and Florida thing. I've heard some people say there is an attachment to Steeda and Florida and Saleen and Texas..............any truth to that? Sure isn't for me.

Maybe you know the man personally and if so great. My personal interaction with him sucked!

Didn't mean to offend you man but we all have different interactions with different people. I've met Tiger Woods, he was an awesome guy............I don't tell that story anymore! :hysterical:

Well this went downhill in a hurry.

Back to the topic at hand. Is the GT-350's design a failure? There are things I like and things I don't like. The rear end on this car is a big improvement over the OEM rear end, in my opinion. I hope they tug the Shelby lettering up a few inches, but if not, whatever. The old school faux gas cap is a perfect touch and I personally like the 65-66 style reverse lights. The blackout panel is also very cool.

The front clip looks a little goofy, I'll give you that much. It's kind of a cross breed between a Saleen and the CS-6 up front. The grill badge has got to go. The hood stripes would look much better without the lettering. The scoop looks awesome to me, but I hope it's functional. The quarter window block offs are a must and give it a much desired R model look.

As for the Whipple adorning that Coyote, I've got some serious questions about how well that's going to hold up. Tob pointed out in other threads that the Ford engineers themselves mentioned that this motor was not built to tolerate forced induction. And with an 11:1 compression ratio, I can't imagine that a big old roots blower would be my first modification to a 2011. The styling under the hood is tip top, however. The interior is perfect, but that's mostly thanks to Ford I guess. I wish the car was a thousand pounds lighter, came equipped with a real racing suspension, and was produced to dominate on the track. But we can't all have exactly what we want out of a mass produced car. That's why we modify what we buy, I suppose. All in all, if I had the dough to drop on one, I wouldn't think twice. I hope a few minor revisions are made before the end product rolls off the assembly line, but overall it's a new take on a classic name, it's a move in a bold, fresh direction, and it's a Shelby.

Ken

Sorry not hibernating just can't justify paying 45k for a CAI and a bolted on hood scoop with the SGT. Just waiting for Shelby to make a great car and so far the KR is the closest thing.

725HP SS is the Top Choice.................. :salute:

Having just seen the car in person, I can say it looks pretty good. The stripes are painted on, not vinyl. The supercharger is being developed with Ford, so I think Ford is okay with it. The total package isn't cheap, but what Shelby ever has been? The reae is better, but not perfect IMHO. Overall, everyone who saw it in person liked it.

As a TS member, I am very disappointed in the outcome of the postings on this thread. It's a car, a Mustang and a Shelby.

Everyone has the right to their opinion, with that said, let's agree to disagree.

If things were all the same, we all would be driving the same car, same color and going to the same place. Since it is not, let's discuss your opinion as an adult and let it be.

I would presume that Shelby American will be reading these post and I would want to see them at another event be treated the way you are treating them right now. This is America and we all have the right to purchase any car that has your taste.

Tom

Well this went downhill in a hurry.

Back to the topic at hand. Is the GT-350's design a failure? There are things I like and things I don't like. The rear end on this car is a big improvement over the OEM rear end, in my opinion. I hope they tug the Shelby lettering up a few inches, but if not, whatever. The old school faux gas cap is a perfect touch and I personally like the 65-66 style reverse lights. The blackout panel is also very cool.

The front clip looks a little goofy, I'll give you that much. It's kind of a cross breed between a Saleen and the CS-6 up front. The grill badge has got to go. The hood stripes would look much better without the lettering. The scoop looks awesome to me, but I hope it's functional. The quarter window block offs are a must and give it a much desired R model look.

As for the Whipple adorning that Coyote, I've got some serious questions about how well that's going to hold up. Tob pointed out in other threads that the Ford engineers themselves mentioned that this motor was not built to tolerate forced induction. And with an 11:1 compression ratio, I can't imagine that a big old roots blower would be my first modification to a 2011. The styling under the hood is tip top, however. The interior is perfect, but that's mostly thanks to Ford I guess. I wish the car was a thousand pounds lighter, came equipped with a real racing suspension, and was produced to dominate on the track. But we can't all have exactly what we want out of a mass produced car. That's why we modify what we buy, I suppose. All in all, if I had the dough to drop on one, I wouldn't think twice. I hope a few minor revisions are made before the end product rolls off the assembly line, but overall it's a new take on a classic name, it's a move in a bold, fresh direction, and it's a Shelby.

Ken

Ken,

The hood scoop is functional. There is supposed to be an option for painted stripes so hopefully the lettering can be eliminated. The tires are a brand new track/street style tire that they didn't even mention.

I think the news about these tires will be out soon. I think they also did some nice suspension stuff. We'll have to wait an see on that one.

I'll be at Barrett-Jackson on Wednesday to take a look. I'll let you know how it looks. Just might take a few pics...

Andy

I agree Tom...if you dont like the car, dont buy it...no one says you have to...

You guys are not getting all the real performance mods this car gets obviously...this model outperforms every Shelby produced to date. PERIOD.

Now,

If you dont like Shelby, well, :censored: you and the limpy horse you rode in on. You dont have to be here....Im a Shelby fan, and thats why I come here. There are a TON of forums for you other trolls...go there.

I agree Tom...if you dont like the car, dont buy it...no one says you have to...

You guys are not getting all the real performance mods this car gets obviously...this model outperforms every Shelby produced to date. PERIOD.

Now,

If you dont like Shelby, well, :censored: you and the limpy horse you rode in on. You dont have to be here....Im a Shelby fan, and thats why I come here. There are a TON of forums for you other trolls...go there.

:hysterical: Funniest post I've read all day!

Andy, thanks man, I'd love to see more more pics if you get the chance. Cant' wait to see one in PERSON :shift:

Now,

What are the real performance mods? I'm just seeing FRPP parts bin stuff outside of the brakes and wheels. Everyone can do that to their GT and much cheaper. That leaves us with the cosmetic appearance and that's where the car really fails. It just looks like a bunch of tacked on parts. The interior has a few nice touches but nothing special. Heck it looks like its got the stock GT gauges. Even Roush and Saleen change those. I'm a Shelby fan but not a fanboy. I'll give them props when they do a good job and bust them when they do bad. This is bad and all it takes is a trip around the web to see the reaction isn't very good. Good thing it's a concept because a few things need to be changed prior to production.

No HP/TQ final numbers means no final tune which means no performance data yet that is concrete. So, you can't really make that statement. With a set of E.T. Streets you can throw an SS down the track to an 11 flat with some skill. This car will beat that stock?

you know if you took all the TS members and put them in a room and let them critique the final design of the gt350, everybody would have a different opinion about the designand we could spend months in that room and with revision after revision and still never get any where close to a one hundred percent approvel of the final design. I personally hope they sell every one of gt350s that they plan to build and them some. I think its very obvious that shelby spent some serious coin on designing this car like it or not. I hope this car brings new customers to the fold that get to enjoy the shelby magic as we all have, that get that admiring look from other car owners when they pull into a car gathering as we have with our shelbys new or old. i look forward to hopefully seeing more then a few of the new cars at next years bash( no lightbars on the roof) If you step back and look at the overall picture a minute, Amy and company is spending serious money to market this car and for that she should be applauded as all this does is make our cars more valuable and let new owners experience the magic we feel each and every time we get in our cars....... :happy feet:

No HP/TQ final numbers means no final tune which means no performance data yet that is concrete. So, you can't really make that statement. With a set of E.T. Streets you can throw an SS down the track to an 11 flat with some skill. This car will beat that stock?

Exactly!!!!!!!!!! :yup:

I'm just not following your logic. With the new S281 you have a front and rear bumper that were actually created as one part. Where the GT350 has tacked on body kit parts with seem lines. Not even close. I'm not sure what is out of the box about this car? Slapping on FRPP parts and a cheap looking body kit is not out of the box.

FYI, I'm not a Saleen fan. I realize they have had quality issues as well. Just talking about overall styling and flow.

Then again I guess I can't expect you not to like the car as they use your heat exchanger in the SS.

People have to slow down to learn more about the car....it's a concept...the front fascia and wheels will be changed.

The car is not for everyone...in fact...only 2200...and I believe Shelby will sell everyone one. Failure...I think not.

read on

It's important to mention that this particular piece is a handbuilt concept, done in fewer than 30 days by a Shelby team of fabricators and mechanics that didn't get much sleep once the program got the green light. The concept represents 90-plus percent of what the production-tooled version will be, but differs in myriad details. This car's badging, grille, and grille surround are made of raw, milled aluminum; the real pieces will be more conventionally produced . The white-painted brake calipers will be nickel-plated instead. The front fascia will be a one-piece component, instead of two split pieces as seen here. They're still fiddling with ride height. The new Cragar 19-inch wheels (Cragars were optional on the first GT350s too) weren't available in time for our exclusive photo shoot, so a set of similar but not identical 20s was pulled off the shelf.

Minimum production for MY 2011 will be just 500 cars. Beyond that, it'll be demand driven, up to a cap of 2200. There are no current plans to market a convertible variant.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_1003_2011_ford_shelby_gt350/design.html#ixzz0d2Rt0kep

Well, I guess this is the official TS design reaction post, so I'll throw in my 2 cents.

My thoughts are as follows - I think the car looks good from every angle except - you guessed it - the rear. I think its a bit of a shame that Shelby had to work with the current model rear end design for the GT350, but timing is everything. They probably would rather have not launched the car during one of our worst recessions either, but that's where we are.

I think Shelby could have done more with the rear tail lamp treatment, such as a lense change and/or extending the lenses lengthwise along the width of the car - like they did w/ the '68 GT500.....

http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-1960-1969/1968-Shelby-Ford-Mustang-GT500KR-Rear-1280x960.jpg

I'm assuming that the hood scoop is functional - it better be w/ all the crying about functional hood scoops!!

Most disappointing to me, however, is the un-obtainability of the car - its for only the super rich. I had hoped and expected that the GT350 would be similar to the GT500 in that it would be produced in greater numbers and be priced less expensively that a GT500, i.e., a $42K or $43K msrp. Ford and Shelby would have sold a bunch of them.

I guess, however, that w/ Ford also planning to come out w/ a Boss 302 (I assume), there would have been a conflict in that area as well. But, it wouldn't have been so difficult to have two models coming down the assembly line would it? Buy hey, I'm certainly no marketing expert.

Oddly enough, as I think someone mentioned above, it seems to me that the Shelby GT has therefore now become the car which is more like the original GT350. Heck, a lot of people and dealers have called it that anyway! I also believe that its the best looking of the lot in my unbiased opinion! Maybe the result of all this is that the Shelby GT has just become a little more valuable.

I find it difficult to be critical of designers and engineers when they have put forth their best efforts.....not to "recreate" the original GT 350, but to bring us a thoroughly current version of it. As my dear old dad used to say, "if you're so d*@! smart, why didn't you do it yourself?"

Thanks Shelby!

Archived