TEAM SHELBY FORUM

SGT stripe removal

Hi I hope you guys can help.Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been posted before but I could not find it in the search section.I just got a white Shelby GT in that needs the stripes replaced.This is a two part question. 1 what is the easiest recommended way to remove them (I have tried 3M wood grain and stripe removal and the rubber eraser wheel) and 2 can anyone tell me what they might have been charged so I have an idea what to charge the customer.Thank you so much in advance. Mike G.

Hi I hope you guys can help.Sorry in advance as I am sure this has been posted before but I could not find it in the search section.I just got a white Shelby GT in that needs the stripes replaced.This is a two part question. 1 what is the easiest recommended way to remove them (I have tried 3M wood grain and stripe removal and the rubber eraser wheel) and 2 can anyone tell me what they might have been charged so I have an idea what to charge the customer.Thank you so much in advance. Mike G.

I removed mine myself with a heat gun.

I removed mine myself with a heat gun.

Same here!!!

Thanks for all the responses.I have tried the heat gun first with not much success.They seem very dried out or even brittle and fall apart even with just a little gentle persuasion.I guess I am going to have to stick it out the hard way with the eraser wheel.Thanks again,Mike G.

Thanks for all the responses.I have tried the heat gun first with not much success.They seem very dried out or even brittle and fall apart even with just a little gentle persuasion.I guess I am going to have to stick it out the hard way with the eraser wheel.Thanks again,Mike G.

Heat gun is best..... I spent many hours removing stripes on our '05 GT. They were dried and brittle and after I got done I had blisters on my fingers. Frustration set in but got it done. The roof for me was the worst. Never want to do it again. Worked many hours last winter which is the worst time to start the job. If you can wait till the weather warms your luck will be better.

Glenn

This is what my stripe shop told me too. They were a PITA to get off and VERY brittle, they know what they're doing, and even for them it took forever. Thankfully I already had my price! They said there really wasn't any good way for them to get them off just piece by little piece. :banghead:

when I worked there we did quite a few they suck plain and simple they peel off smaller than postage stamps each little piece at a time even with a heat gun. patience is a virtue with this type of job... If u use a heat gun be carefull on how hot you let the car get ....

They were a PITA to get off and VERY brittle, they know what they're doing, and even for them it took forever.

when I worked there we did quite a few they suck plain and simple they peel off smaller than postage stamps each little piece at a time even with a heat gun.

Thanks guys.These are my exact feelings.Unfortunately I cant wait till the summer as this is a customers car who wants to do it in the off season so it must be done now.I am almost there,just need to address the bumpers.Has any one come across the problem of the paint bubbling around all the holes on the hood that were not properly treated after drilling?Thanks again you have all been very helpful,Mike G.

Archived