TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Harness Bar

i been wanting to put a harness bar and 4 point harness in the SGT . and have a few questions so please bear with me on this

does the bar have to be certified or can someone with the knowledge of welding and metal fabrication make there own!

can you still use the factory seat belts or do you have to swap them out every time you go to the track .

thanks JIM

A harness bar without a roll bar is a suicide setup. If you roll the car while strapped upright with a 4 or 5 point harness, your odds of survival go down significantly. Do yourself the favor of installing a roll bar. Good luck.

Ken

All I know is that a harness bar and 4 points without a cage can be bad in a rollover. With no cage if the roof comes in there is no place to go so spinal compression can happen. without a harness your body gets pushed to the side...

07-2937 (who is a great driver by the way - saw him at the Bash) and Ken speak the truth. Get the total roll bar and at least a 5 point. You can see in my signature that I went with a 4-point roll bar and 5 point belts. These are safe cars but you die in roll overs and you die in fires. Good luck!

jIM

He really dosen't mention racing or auto-crossing with just the harness bar as a replacement for a roll cage. And I agree, if you are going to race the vehicle go with the roll cage and not the harness bar for safety reasons. If you want the harnes bar because it "looks kool" and you want to use a four pt harness then by all means go ahead and do it. I've install two harness bars on two different vehicles and ended up making a bracket for the floor anchors so that the brace bars would fit , no big deal just time consuming. I see that Corbeau makes a harness bar for the 05 and up Mustangs I do believe that these would be a direct bolt on with no issues because they make some good stuff. The ones I installed were el-cheap-o's.

I've raced for many years and my opinion on roll cages is for them to be 100% effective the hard points have to be mounted to a FULL FRAME car. Mounting the hard points to sheet metal is not going to give you full protection...........too many weak spots. Just my opinion.

Thanks for backing me up on that one! In 2005 I was still racing super stocks and ended up flipping a car end for end and rolling 4-5 times, and to cap things off a large gas fire! I got a helicopter ride and ended up in the hospital for a few days trying to gather up my marbles. The one thing that we always did when we built the cars was to make the cages super strong, that saved me and the fact we always carried TWO fire extinguishers in the car. To this day I hold the record for "most spectacular crash" ..........something that I wasn't really shooting for.

thanks for the replies everyone . i have a few more question .clark is your cage bolted to the sheet metal? as 428 CJ shows sheet metal is not a really decent attachment point for something that designed to stop the roof from collapsing .

the question i asked was can i build my own harness bar or does it have to a certified one from someone else

don't get me wrong i apriccate all the advice and take it all seriously ! I'm just getting some information before i do the design work start fabrication

JIM

thanks for the replies everyone . i have a few more question .clark is your cage bolted to the sheet metal?JIM

It is not bolted to sheet metal but there is only so much "frame" (I know we do not have a traditional frame as in years gone by) under the skin.

Jim

thanks Jim

I'm in the middle of installing my lift when i do i can get under the car and see what my option's are as far as the attachment point's.

Jim i have seen your car at a few car shows. and Starbucks that Tom has set up and do like your set up

I'm the guy with the blue Roush 428 and the wife has a 07 black Shelby GT

JIM

thanks Jim

I'm in the middle of installing my lift when i do i can get under the car and see what my option's are as far as the attachment point's.

Jim i have seen your car at a few car shows. and Starbucks that Tom has set up and do like your set up

I'm the guy with the blue Roush 428 and the wife has a 07 black Shelby GT

JIM

Right! Starbucks I remember. That was at least as much fun as the car show later. Nice set of cars that you have, for sure.

jim

Archived