TEAM SHELBY FORUM

Camaro SS Kill

ratnacage

I like to think that being older and wiser (ripe 'ol 38) that I can't be taunted or made to be irresponsible like back in the day....

so I'm driving home from work Saturday at around 6:30 pm, minding my own business in the middle lane. I am usually pretty alert to my surroundings and notice a set of headlights coming up fairly quickly in the left lane - not crazy fast, but considerably faster than the traffic around me. I also notice another set of headlights maneuvering through traffic behind that car. Turns out the lead car is a 944 convertible so I jump in behind him and match speed. As the second car gets closer I notice the distinctive Camaro headlight pattern. I manage to stay in front of him and I can tell he's a little annoyed that he can't pass me due to the moderate traffic (85 isn't fast enough?). My exit is approaching so I go to the far right lane and the Camaro passes and lets me know what he thinks by downshifting as he passes (he was packing something cuz it didn't sound stock). I exited the freeway onto a lightly used three lane feeder (aka "Frontage" road for those of you not from the south).

The next stop light is about 1/4 mile down the road and since the right two lanes are occupied, I maneuver to pull up to the light in the left lane. Well, wouldn't know, the 944 and the Camaro (SS) are the other two cars up front - the stars and planets had indeed aligned. Of course we all know what has to happen, I mean, here I am lined up with an arch-rival bow-tie and a token import, both of whom previously were "calling me out." I watched the cross light turn yellow and waited for our green. As soon as our light turned green I heard the squeak of the 944's tires as he jumped and the roar of the SS next to him. As much as I tried to feather, I couldn't keep my tires stuck to the pavement, but I continued forward staying even with the 944 and SS. I shifted to second and immediately lit my tires up again, right to red-line, about the time we hit 45mph I finally hooked up and and broke away quickly from the 944 - he was no longer a factor. It was now just me and the SS. I continued through 3rd slowly pulling away, but not by much - he was still near my rear quarter. In to 4th I maintained the edge and slowly began increasing the gap between us until he finally gave up and backed off. Comfortable in victory, I let off and we each exchanged a wave as I took my next turn and he continued on.

ah, the good old days. :shift:

• 3 months later...
Lucky guy! Good kill! :happy feet:

All I'm getting is Magnums and Chargers.... :doh:

Magnums aren't something to be taken lightly. I've rode in a RT Magnum, and they haul more ass than the cargo area can hold. The Magnum in question is my friend's father. He owned one at a certain time, but had to give it up because the payments were too expensive. Now he drives a blacked out Taurus :hysterical2:

I like to think that being older and wiser (ripe 'ol 38) that I can't be taunted or made to be irresponsible like back in the day....

so I'm driving home from work Saturday at around 6:30 pm, minding my own business in the middle lane. I am usually pretty alert to my surroundings and notice a set of headlights coming up fairly quickly in the left lane - not crazy fast, but considerably faster than the traffic around me. I also notice another set of headlights maneuvering through traffic behind that car. Turns out the lead car is a 944 convertible so I jump in behind him and match speed. As the second car gets closer I notice the distinctive Camaro headlight pattern. I manage to stay in front of him and I can tell he's a little annoyed that he can't pass me due to the moderate traffic (85 isn't fast enough?). My exit is approaching so I go to the far right lane and the Camaro passes and lets me know what he thinks by downshifting as he passes (he was packing something cuz it didn't sound stock). I exited the freeway onto a lightly used three lane feeder (aka "Frontage" road for those of you not from the south).

The next stop light is about 1/4 mile down the road and since the right two lanes are occupied, I maneuver to pull up to the light in the left lane. Well, wouldn't know, the 944 and the Camaro (SS) are the other two cars up front - the stars and planets had indeed aligned. Of course we all know what has to happen, I mean, here I am lined up with an arch-rival bow-tie and a token import, both of whom previously were "calling me out." I watched the cross light turn yellow and waited for our green. As soon as our light turned green I heard the squeak of the 944's tires as he jumped and the roar of the SS next to him. As much as I tried to feather, I couldn't keep my tires stuck to the pavement, but I continued forward staying even with the 944 and SS. I shifted to second and immediately lit my tires up again, right to red-line, about the time we hit 45mph I finally hooked up and and broke away quickly from the 944 - he was no longer a factor. It was now just me and the SS. I continued through 3rd slowly pulling away, but not by much - he was still near my rear quarter. In to 4th I maintained the edge and slowly began increasing the gap between us until he finally gave up and backed off. Comfortable in victory, I let off and we each exchanged a wave as I took my next turn and he continued on.

ah, the good old days. :shift:

hell ... my little episode of being pulled over a few weeks ago by my State Trooper is still fresh in my mind ... been driving like a boy scout .. the past week .. even with my stage II ... :redcard:

Isnt that the dam truth ...

I wasnt looking .. I never saw the state trooper ... and dam .. if i hadnt slowed backed down so quick .. doing the posted speed limit .. i would have made it to the dealership .. sipping my tea .... and no worries .. but nope ... as soon as I passed this one yeewho .... and with close to 660 hp ... u can get up from 45 to 75 in a sec or so ... as most know .. and thats when he clocked me

I must learn the art of engaging the bogey master ... in more artful manner .. pls master ... train me better :hysterical2:

There are many parameters to learn, my son.

Here is the first: One's vision becomes narrowly focused when a target is aquired.

One must learn to reject the impulse - and scan all horizons and evaluate the possible threat.

If one's instincts raise any sort of threat - power down.

If, however, the horizon is clear - engage and take names. :hysterical2:

thank you oh wise and clever master :bowdown:

I will take heed and follow your rules of engagement with passion :banvictory::banvictory:

Here is the first: One's vision becomes narrowly focused when a target is aquired.

One must learn to reject the impulse - and scan all horizons and evaluate the possible threat.

Engage this.... :hysterical2:

post-3382-1178082786_thumb.jpg

post-3382-1178082786_thumb.jpg

I like this Ruf...

Also, one must also keep trained eye out for unmarked threats.

There's a trooper here in CT that'll get 'ya he drives an unmarked Intrepid that lights up like a Christmas tree if he bags you...

But there's always a clue- it's the only Intrepid i've seen with black steel wheels and dog-dish hubcaps.

Ruf did not click on sick pic. :redcard:

master always taught 1bad never to engage in sick pic ... :redcard:

Archived